PDA

View Full Version : a noob question i suppose..

ohhgyeahfasho
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
:2funny: I've had my car an Evo IX for a little more than a month, and still breaking it in.(roughly above 300miles) Well, today I was able to test drive my friend's brand new G35 Coupe with 5k miles. The first thing I noticed is that his shifter wasn't hard, it was really easy to get into gear almost like butter, smooth like nothing is in the way, and also moved with a really nice easy feel. i asked him why mines were soo stiff and hard to get in gear(compared to his), and he replied because it still isn't broken in. I let him test drive my car, and he was surprised on how much more force he needed to apply to the shifter to get into gear compared to his, and he said that my shifter were somewhat notchy. now my question to you Evo veterans is, does our shifter get easier to shift and move as we break the car in, or is the Evo's shifter normally stiff and notchy to get in gear? I am ashamed that I am asking this newb question but it is something that I just really want to know. Thank you in advance. ;)

I am not sure if this is supposed to be posted in here, I think my question somewhat relates to a "Technical Question"..

desertRS
01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
should have been in the trouble shooting forum but from my experience with my 9 it does get easier to shift

ohhgyeahfasho
01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
should have been in the trouble shooting forum but from my experience with my 9 it does get easier to shift

so it does get easier..thats good news :D..woops i didnt even see that section in this forum :P, can a mod move this its correct place...

IXMREVO
01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I think you just get used to it

1WkdEvo
01-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Mine still shifts like crap after 9000 miles. It is nothcy as hell, especially going to third and moderately going into second. I tried changing to Redline fluids as a last resort to see if it helped and of course it didn't help do anything but lighten my wallet.

Honestly this is the one thing I really don't like about this car. I hope yours gets better, but I agree with IXMREVO, you may just have to get used to it.

Terenus
01-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I think Evos are just like that, I drove a 2003 Evo VIII and I have a 2006 Evo IX and they both are like that. I went car hunting with my friend and we've test drove Lotus Elise, S4, and some other cars that were stick, most of them aren't as notchy and stiff as mine.

EvolvedMCC
01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
it won't change, you just get used it to it eventually.

desertRS
01-04-2007, 11:18 PM
well i guess u get use to it it did become easier and that was one thing about the evo that i liked the tight shift feel other cars were sloppy

Terenus
01-04-2007, 11:26 PM
My first gear feels like shit in the morning, then after a while it gets smoother.

ohhgyeahfasho
01-05-2007, 12:03 AM
yeah exactly, the 1st gear and 2nd sucks when its cold...and every single gear is stiff and notchy.. =( o well ill just suck it up.. and get used to it..

smokd
01-05-2007, 12:36 AM
i actually like the feeling of a stiff shifter... it feels more solid to me for some reason

chavo_del_8
01-05-2007, 12:43 AM
It definitely sucks going through the first gears on a cold morning, so I just started shifting through the gears at least twice as the car warms up. Not so great for the clutch but I figured I can wear out the stock a lil faster. I love the stiff feel of the shifter tho, I always felt like my old honda ones would snap off in my hand during hard driving. :grin:

trinydex
01-05-2007, 12:53 AM
this has been covered before.

change tranny fluid to something nice and gooey. you can search that one.

change front motor mount to something slightly stiffer.

change clutch out for something lighter.

these will all make your car shift faster, more crisp, better etc. notice short shifter and shifter bushings are not in there.

keep in mind you'll never get the same shift feel as a car that has an inline tranny motor configuration. those trannies are shifted not by cables but directly by the shift stick. ours will always suck in comparison. just hte nature of transversely mounted engines.

240sxmonster
01-11-2007, 01:00 PM
+1 It uses a cable to shift and its an AWD platform hence this tranny is stiffer.

DTunedEvoX
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Eat more rice, lift more weights ... stop complaining :P lol