PDA

View Full Version : Cobb AccessPort for the Evo?

CICreations
01-15-2007, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine just bought an 07 STI and I've heard a couple guys from my work that have Foresters talking about Cobb AccessPort for loading maps and tuning. Cobb's site says that AccessPort is comming for the Evo in Spring of 2007. Anyone know anything about Cobb Tunning? Is it worth waiting for?

http://www.cobbtuning.com/

urmotha
01-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Had one on my WRX. Basically it attaches to the OBD-II port and reflashes your ECU. It comes with some staged base maps you can load. For more money you can get the street tuner software to tune it yourself, and there is also the pro-tune option that certified shops can perform.

gofaster87
01-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Whats wrong with the current flashing options for the evo? All you need is a 75 dollar cable and the software is free.

trinydex
01-15-2007, 07:03 PM
apparently the access port is the new safc replacement. it can hold two maps. that's the big oh emme jee

1WkdEvo
01-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Had it on my WRX as well, nice unit and the new one is much better as it has significanly more data logging options based on the reports I read. Cobb is tops in Suby land and their parts are great. Here is a link to their forums so you can have a bit more info regarding the unti and the reviews of people who use them. http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/

CICreations
01-15-2007, 07:27 PM
^^Oh, cool link. Found this thread....
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31353&highlight=evo

Currently we are in the final development and testing stages of the AccessPORT for the EVO8/9. We can use this thread to post updates about development, and so you can ask questions or give suggestions on how we can make the AccessPORT better.

What is the AccessPORT?
The COBB AccessPORT is a handheld programmer used to upload pre-programmed maps to the ECU via the OBD-II port in a matter of minutes. No cutting, wiring, or other modification is required. Once the data has been uploaded, you can disconnect the AccessPORT and your tuned data stays on the ECU. Or, you can leave it connected and use the AccessPORT as a digital display for engine parameters.

In addition, you can connect the AccessPORT to your PC (Windows, Mac, or Linux) and stay up to date with the latest calibrations by downloading them from our website. (USB required)

The quick feature list is:

* Reprogram factory ECU (Engine Control Unit) with tuned data
* Maintains factory ECU capabilities and safety features providing completely seamless functionality
* Realtime modification of tuned data
* Realtime log display of engine parameters (air/fuel ratio, ignition, etc)
* Read engine trouble codes and display
* Comes with prepackaged stage and convenience maps
Upgrade to custom-tuned map through authorized AccessPORT ProTUNER
* Load custom tuning data for your specific vehicle and modifications provided by an authorized AccessPORT ProTUNER or upgrade to the StreetTUNER package for do-it-yourself tuning
* Uninstall ability that reverts back to 100% stock map that was on your ECU originally
* Measure 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile times

Currently we are finalizing our pre-packaged maps and the software that other tuners and individuals can use to custom tune the ECU for a particular car or package.

Our current release time frame is Fall'06. We are currently testing primarily in-house before shortly moving to some field trials by some leading EVO tuners before we'll launch it publically. Everything is well on schedule and we're looking forward to announcing a hard release date once the field trials have been completed and all known bugs have been resolved.

For tuners, the big thing we'll be providing aside from the convenience of the handheld programmer and the map switching capability will be REAL TIME TUNING of all major engine parameters such as fuel, ignition, boost, MIVEC, etc. We also re-wrote the ECU code to allow the ability to datalog and trace the parameters not normally available through OBD-II or the MUT protocol. These include things like engine load, boost control logic and corrections, etc.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

JOOTZ
01-15-2007, 07:32 PM
i`ve signed on to cobb`s forums since last july 06
after speaking with them at MOD06
nothing came out of that forum yet(accessport)
they(COBB) have been asking about evo guys preference for the boost controller
i told them it`s one of the first mods for the 4g63
they however insist their tuning will take care of boost and are hesitant to tune on 4g63 with boost controllers,they are iffy on that
the power gains are 20-30 HP if i remember right,,,dont quote me on this though
the only good thing i see is the ability to put ECU back to stock
i`ve had TT tune my IX last October
HP gain from TT DYNO tune---38 HP

this below is from the cobb forum,,,trey is one of "the guy`s@cobb"

Correct, we will have mapping for the TBE but we're able to control boost pretty accurately using the factory system. I feel the results are a little more ideal than using a MBC but at the same time we understand the EVO market is very much accustomed to using MBC's and we have a huge battle ahead if we think we're going to change people's perceptions there. Pick your battles, right?

So yes, technically it'll work with the MBC set to the boost levels we recommend with the mapping. Ideally you'll revert back to letting the ECU control boost and find it improves performance and driveability but it won't be a requirement. Only if you want the car to drive better.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

more below,,,same forum

Understood on the MBC, we'll recommend boost levels but we are able to reliably control boost with the factory solenoid so it'll remain an option (recommendation).

Intakes should be ok for the most part. We actually have one designed ourselves that gives consistent air flow. With the EVO, the MAF housing itself is retained so us in the aftermarket only have the opportunity to screw up the air flow before and after the MAF but not screw up the actual MAF housing like we can in the Subaru world. So, that makes it a little safer I guess.

StreetTUNER may not be available right away. That's a tough call because we'd really like the EVO guys to experience the new version of StreetTUNER as their initial introduction to what we can do. The Subaru and EVO StreetTUNER will be released at the same time, but we may not want to release the older version of StreetTUNER (currently in use for Subaru) for the EVO only to make a big upgrade to it a month or two later that may force a re-learn and confusion. So, we're honestly still discussing that internally.

Power levels are on par with other reflashes and systems. I don't have the exact figured in front of me, Christian and Rob have been handling the EVO project more directly. I'll try and ping them to post up some info. They're both on the dyno right now out at our motorsports facility tuning some EVO road race cars with the EVO ProTUNER (beta testing) so I'm sure they'll be happy to respond once they get back into the office.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

DTunedEvoX
01-15-2007, 07:33 PM
I had a Cobb Stg 2 for my WRX ... Zzz Zzz ... I agree w/ that our current flashing options are sufficient. But the 2 map holding thing does sound spiffy :P

CICreations
01-15-2007, 07:43 PM
I guess what got me interested was listening to my suby buddies talk about how you can hold different maps and load your stock ECU map and it would be undetectable. Now if that's 100% true or not I don't know, that's why Im trying to learn :)

JOOTZ
01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
^^^you could load the stock map back,,,true
it`s just they have been taking too long to put
the product out for the evo market

1WkdEvo
01-16-2007, 10:17 AM
AGreed on the map back to stock. I did this several times when taking car in for warranty work. It's easy to do and works like a charm. Of course the way I understand it, which may be wrong, is that with a laptop and your maps you should be able to do the same with our reflashes.

1WkdEvo
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't disagree Goku, but not all of us get her numbers.Â* I for one have seen more people than I care to remember with my mods post way higher numbers than me from Al's tune.Â* Some cars take well and some don't, which is why having tunes are better than reflashes alone.Â* That being said, was it flash only with no mods or did Alfred tune it?Â* If it was simple reflash, then that's pretty sweet, but this post from Cobb is from a flash only with no mods.

This is an off the shelf map so it will be limited, in so much that is applies to every Evo and is not unique to that vehicles capabilities.Â* The reason it sucks is that until we can get the tuner version, it is no different than a mail in flash, but with the programmer at your fingertips for easy switch back.Â*

Once it gets going people can use other peoples maps, make adjustments on their cmputer, then load to the programmer, etc, etc.Â* It has a lot of possibilities, but we have similar items in our market already.Â* This is a nice unit, but until we get all of the same functionality as the Suby guys have, it will be behind the current products we use.

GokuSSJ4
01-16-2007, 10:42 AM
it wasnt just a simple flash but a custom tune.. her based was what i mention without tuning..Â* now with getting a base flash, been there done that and wont do it again LOL.. i rather get a custom tune any day than just a flash.. not worth it IMO.

1WkdEvo
01-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Agreed, flashes suck, they simply do not take into account that every engine is a bit different, which is why Alfred is so great. Oh and thanks for reminding me about her great numbers :(