PDA

View Full Version : Just cleared my exhaust ticket for life(kinda).....

MR Dan
01-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Here’s your typical fix-it ticket…. (my 30+ fix-it ticket since 96 :idiot2: )
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Ticket.jpg

I swapped-out my loud Magnaflow muffler to my quiet Fujitsubo can.
http://members.cox.net/itr115/Mag2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Legalis%20R/Ra.jpg

…….then made an appointment with my local state referee…

State ref. sniffing my rear end….. MmmmmmÂ* :smitten:
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Sniff.jpg

dbA tester
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Tester.jpg

Passed …..
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Result.jpg

The GOLD cert.Â* ;)Â* …Keep this with my registration for life….
http://members.cox.net/evomr/Cert.jpg

THE END

Terenus
01-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Nice, where are you going to put the sticker? haha

MR Dan
01-17-2007, 01:24 AM
im just gonna keep it with my registration.... if i get pulled over again, i'll just show the pig the cert. .... i know i can get another modified exh. ticket someday but now this will save me some time and trouble

thisxguy
01-17-2007, 01:27 AM
the sniffer test should be illegal since it's actually damaging the body of the person who is performing the test :grin:

i didnt know they gave stickers like that

congrats dan

rammsteinmatt
01-17-2007, 01:30 AM
did he check for any other mods while you were in. wonder if he would ignore loping cams?

thisxguy
01-17-2007, 01:31 AM
just tell him your engine is in bad shape and is going to die soon :2funny:

MR Dan
01-17-2007, 01:33 AM
yes the ref. popped my hood to check the vin#'s and of course he noticed my mods but he said the engine mods were koo since my ticket was just for my exhaust.

GokuSSJ4
01-17-2007, 02:16 AM
congrats!!!!!

Skiracer
01-17-2007, 07:15 AM
I never got one of those fancy stickers when i went to the ref :tickedoff:

909Evo
01-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Lol, dude, your cert says "Unknown/Unknown" for make and model of the exhaust. Any and every cop who wants to write a cite for exhaust is just gonna say... "How do I know you didn't change it? You have no proof that THIS was the exhaust that was on the car at test time".

Unless the "Photo's attached" show some good pictures of your exhaust?

XubIX
01-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Gives me an idea....

Why dont we get together everyone with a Fujitsubo can and all take turns going to the state ref =D

That way we can all have those nice fancy certificates......... wonder if this could be a loophole in the system =)

xEviLxVIIIx
01-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Lol, dude, your cert says "Unknown/Unknown" for make and model of the exhaust. Any and every cop who wants to write a cite for exhaust is just gonna say... "How do I know you didn't change it? You have no proof that THIS was the exhaust that was on the car at test time".

+1 agreed

Lancer EVO IX
01-17-2007, 09:48 AM
nice dan. now, how can we replicate that cert so i could have one too? lol. :twisted:

smokinevo9
01-17-2007, 10:13 AM

+1 agreed

+2 i must say they do have a point there Dan.

leaveit2bevo
01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
I wonder if I can do this with the stock exhaust so I can get one.

MR Dan
01-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Sucks that the ref. didnt type in the exhaust model as well but he said the photos (that are attached with the paper work) are 100% more effective than just the exhaust brand.

about reproducing the cert, they can look up the cert. # so........ i donno about that one..

Lancer EVO IX
01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
ur on at work now?! nice.

MR Dan
01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
opps ...im using a proxy generator to log on...its freaking SLOWWWWWWWW

hksevo8
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
This is nice and all , but the chances of you getting pulled over and getting another ticket for exhaust is pretty high. The officer will most likely state that he has no idea if you have or have not made any type of adjustment to the exahust since the date of your ref appointment. Good luck.

MR Dan
01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
yup i know i will get another exht. ticket again someday but at least it will be easier to submit the ticket in court without retesting.......

fusionchicken
01-17-2007, 12:59 PM
are u running catless? when u went to the ref? wondering how catless would pass the inspection, do they only test for db? thanks.

thisxguy
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
i think you'll be told to come back

xEviLxVIIIx
01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
are u running catless? when u went to the ref? wondering how catless would pass the inspection, do they only test for db? thanks.

if the ticket is only for noies, then all they care about and chk is dB. the only other thing they chk is VIN number.

thisxguy
01-17-2007, 01:16 PM
christian, chris got a noise ticket, went to a state ref (supposedly a lenient one) but he was told to come back since he had a test pipe

hksevo8
01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Any ticket that requires you to see the state ref will require one thing that will not allow a highflow/testpipe to pass.Â* It is called the visual inspection.Â* I am currently arguing a ticket that I rec'd for modified exhaust (not noise pollition) and modified emissions.Â* When I went to the ref, I passed the noise and sniffer test (which in my way of thinking makes me believe my car is legal to drive on public roads) but failed the visual inspection......the exhaust ticket was signed off since I passed the db test.Â* My attorney is having a really fun time getting this ready for court.Â* Â*can you say catch 22?

BUDLoNG
01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
thats some willy wonka sheeot there

fusionchicken
01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
so a rally cat will make me pass the visual inspection then correct?

when u guys mention "sniffing" test, what does that mean? pardon my n00bness as i've never had trouble with the law enforcement before, but seeing over 20 cops in the last 15 min on the streets i'm a bit paranoid right now

if "sniffing" test means smelling for catless foul-shit smellin', then i wont pass for shit...otherwise i could just slap on my catshields and call it a day...if it's purely visual and DB test, then a rally cat wouuld work, but do they actually look for the catless smell?

ernald711
01-17-2007, 06:01 PM
that must be soo nice to have that...

hksevo8
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
The sniffer we are referring to is the actual smog test they put your car through. With a rally car, you will not pass. The other fact is that you will not pass with a rally car during the visual. The refs know the difference between a stock and rally cat and what they look like. Our stock cats are triangular in look. Rally/highflow cats are clearly distingushable from the stock cat due to this. Trust me, the ref knows what he is looking at. The reason I say this, is that one of the reasons I did not pass my visual is because I installed a boost gauge, and because I spliced in the normal boost sensor tube on the firewall of my car, they knew it and failed me.

so a rally cat will make me pass the visual inspection then correct?

when u guys mention "sniffing" test, what does that mean? pardon my n00bness as i've never had trouble with the law enforcement before, but seeing over 20 cops in the last 15 min on the streets i'm a bit paranoid right now

if "sniffing" test means smelling for catless foul-shit smellin', then i wont pass for shit...otherwise i could just slap on my catshields and call it a day...if it's purely visual and DB test, then a rally cat wouuld work, but do they actually look for the catless smell?

xEviLxVIIIx
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
if you get a noise pollution ticket, the ref is only supposed to chk for db. if you get modified emmisions, then they chk functional, visual and tailpipe (sniffer). Just because you pass the sniffer part doesnt mean your home free. you have to pass all three tests. Example, if everything passes and they test your gas cap and it doesnt hold vacuum and fails, you fail smog, gotta go buy a new cap and retest everything. As far as visual tests, as long as its a part that can effect emmissions, it cannot be changed to aftermarket/performance upgrade unless it has a CARB executive order #, factory vacuum routing cannot be modified or altered. Another example, for a visual fail, they were failing people with the colored vacuum lines for the PCV breather hose that came with intakes (mainly the hondas). because they werent the actual thick vacuum hoses that can handle the higher temps and would melt.

anyway, it'll be interesting in what happens in court. please keep us updated hksevo8

Granny Shifter
01-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Can't you just pay off your exhaust ticket these days? How much is it the first time around?

fusionchicken
01-17-2007, 09:44 PM
thanks for the explanations guys.

didn't u do that kevin?

sounds like if i get busted and i can't just pay out of it, i'll have to return my car to stock....wow. well at least for exhaust it's best to just put the stock cat back on...glad i kept mine.

hksevo8
01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
first violations run about $350.00.....everyother violation goes up to another amount. Why pay for it if your not breaking the law.......?????

Granny Shifter
01-17-2007, 10:18 PM
first violations run about $350.00.....everyother violation goes up to another amount. Why pay for it if your not breaking the law.......?????

This is for emmitions right? I'm talking about the same case MR Dan has. I thought it is close to $60.

GokuSSJ4
01-17-2007, 10:47 PM

This is for emmitions right? I'm talking about the same case MR Dan has. I thought it is close to $60.
is an exhaust ticket, right? if thats theÂ* case it should be somewhere in the range of 60.00 if its an emissions, than the violation fine will be aÂ* lot more..

JDMC-WestEVO
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
if i put on my block off plate for my cut out and i have my cat and stock cat back on it should be fine right?

MR Dan
01-17-2007, 11:11 PM
The sound test was FREE O0 .... but a modded emissions test will cost some $$$...... Ref asked me if i had a test pipe or HFC since he can smell the difference he said :grin: ..... when i headed to the CHP station, the officer didnt even come out to check for the missing front plate and verify the muffler...he was too busy talking on the phone while signing off my ticket O0

neuspeed
02-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Did you get this done at Elcamino?

JOOTZ
02-03-2007, 10:29 AM
lucky Dan

91_gsx
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
if i put on my block off plate for my cut out and i have my cat and stock cat back on it should be fine right?

i'm pretty sure if you have a cut out they'll notice and unless it's covered by the undertray.

tabio42
02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Any ticket that requires you to see the state ref will require one thing that will not allow a highflow/testpipe to pass. It is called the visual inspection. I am currently arguing a ticket that I rec'd for modified exhaust (not noise pollition) and modified emissions. When I went to the ref, I passed the noise and sniffer test (which in my way of thinking makes me believe my car is legal to drive on public roads) but failed the visual inspection......the exhaust ticket was signed off since I passed the db test. My attorney is having a really fun time getting this ready for court. can you say catch 22?

Was this from the Valiant Laguna Beach PD?

05-EVO-GSR
02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
That sticker is supposed to go on the back of your ticket.

MR Dan
02-08-2007, 10:22 PM
That sticker is supposed to go on the back of your ticket.

it did...the ref hooked it up with another copy ;)

EvoTechNik
03-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Too bad you can only go to the state ref. only if you have recieved an exhaust ticket.

Blk Mivo IX
03-04-2007, 10:29 AM
nice

ant_evo
03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey what location did you go to?? I have the same muffler ticket ...THANKS,, Or how do find a local location....

The sound test was FREE O0 .... but a modded emissions test will cost some $$$...... Ref asked me if i had a test pipe or HFC since he can smell the difference he said :grin: ..... when i headed to the CHP station, the officer didnt even come out to check for the missing front plate and verify the muffler...he was too busy talking on the phone while signing off my ticket O0

MR Dan
03-09-2007, 03:34 PM
call 800-622-7733 for the nearest location ;)

ant_evo
03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks,,,,,,

call 800-622-7733 for the nearest location ;)

chimers
03-13-2007, 02:08 AM
i recently got an exhaust / no front license plate ticket too....but how come under "CORRECTABLE" he checked the NO box??? what does that mean? it says BAR required on the bottom...doenst that mean that it is Correctable though? what do i do?

O6EVO
04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
i recently got an exhaust / no front license plate ticket too....but how come under "CORRECTABLE" he checked the NO box??? what does that mean? it says BAR required on the bottom...doenst that mean that it is Correctable though? what do i do?

I have wondered this for awhile now. But I think what they mean is you can't just go have it signed off. You have to go to the ref to get it signed and approved.

Side note. Anyone know if you can do this without getting a ticket. Meaning I can go right now, and if I get pulled over I can show this to the officer...

boostinbyyou
04-02-2007, 01:07 PM

damn....

was thinking all that right before i read it....

boostinbyyou
04-02-2007, 01:12 PM
they will charge you if you dont have a citation...

thats nice tho....he said the mods were all good in the engine bay due to the ticket sayin (muffler)...

im in the same boat....

was it in LA County..Orange County...

i think you must go in the county it was issued...i was told to go to east LA JC...they are chill....but my ticket is in orange county....

let me know where it was at so i can get mine done by this guy...hahaha

the guy in fullerton sux....he is an ass...been to him 4 times....lol

awdaddict
04-09-2007, 12:07 AM
So, you can keep the cert to prove that your exhaust is compliant with the noise.
What if you get another fix-it ticket.

Will you still be able to use the cert and just pay the fix-it fee?

MR Dan
04-09-2007, 12:13 AM
So, you can keep the cert to prove that your exhaust is compliant with the noise.

I got pulled over a couple days ago and showed the pig the print out......he was cool about the documentation and let me go.. O0

awdaddict
04-09-2007, 12:22 AM

I got pulled over a couple days ago and showed the pig the print out......he was cool about the documentation and let me go.. O0

Oh i see, that's good new.
Maybe I should consider on doing this too.
Since it has no expiration day on the cert either.