PDA

View Full Version : Will I pass smog?

JC
01-18-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm moving to LA from Atlanta so my car has some non-legal mods. Mainly a full exhaust, catted, into a stock muffler and front tinted windows. The car looks bone stock under the hood aside from no cover on the cam gears (which are stock). I know it will pass the sniffer but do they normally check under the car if the rest is stock? Do they care about the tint at all?

4G63 FEVER
01-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Tint isn't a problem when you get a smog check. No cover on the cam gears equals an automatic visual fail. Questionable on the exhaust, if that includes a header it's a no go.

JC
01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Glad I asked, I'll pick up a cover from the dealer before I get it smogged. No headers. I already have to replace a ton of shit on my Subaru to get it through, so I was hoping the EVO would be easier. :-P

4G63 FEVER
01-18-2007, 09:14 AM
^ From what you mentioned just replace your CG cover and you are in business, tell them your stocker got destroyed if they ask about your replacement. Don't think it will be a problem as long as your cat is good!

xEviLxVIIIx
01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Downpipe has to be stock also

tabio42
01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
If you don't have the stock cat, you might not pass. Go to either a stupid or a friendly smog station.

JC
01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
^ From what you mentioned just replace your CG cover and you are in business, tell them your stocker got destroyed if they ask about your replacement. Don't think it will be a problem as long as your cat is good!

Why would they ask? I can buy it in GA if it's going to be a problem?

Go to either a stupid or a friendly smog station.

Any suggestions on that front?

tabio42
01-18-2007, 10:00 AM
No sorry I don't know any.

CRX2EVO
01-18-2007, 01:33 PM
why is a cam gear cover an auto fail?

My CRX passed the BAR ref inspection with the cam gear cover cut off

ernald711
01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
No sorry I don't know any.

you can go to any, but bring an extra $200 just in case you find someone.

xEviLxVIIIx
01-18-2007, 07:33 PM
why is a cam gear cover an auto fail?

My CRX passed the BAR ref inspection with the cam gear cover cut off

the cam gear cover is not a fail, its if you have adjustable cam gears

JC
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Threw a cam gear cover on and she passed. :)

CRX2EVO
03-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Good to hear.Â* I understand the desire for clean air but smog checks in CA are so absurd.Â* Why in the world do you need to pass a visual test if the car passes the tailpipe emissions poriton?Â* It seems like a violaiton of ones rights not to be able to change their own private property to suit them.

In addition, you can always "go back to stock" for the 30 or so min it takes and pass the test and in the same day have your car back to gross polluter status.Â* The whole system is flawed.Â* It also doesn't make sense to be so harsh on modified vehicles when the majority of people are driving around in stock cars putting out next to zero emissions.

Give us a break.

xEviLxVIIIx
03-20-2007, 08:50 AM
the system is not flawed, just no one wants to obey the smog laws. It sucks, I dont like smog laws either, but hey thats part of living in california.

JC
03-31-2007, 09:52 PM
the system is not flawed, just no one wants to obey the smog laws. It sucks, I dont like smog laws either, but hey thats part of living in california.

I disagree, what the hell does it matter what I do to my car if it doesn't pollute more than is legal. I still blew under half the legal limit. I drive with a clear conscience.

sleeping
04-01-2007, 01:14 AM
^ +1

The reson the system is the way it is is because of money. those carb eo numbers cost money.

Evo8urv8
04-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Would a clear cam gear cover pass visual regardless if ur gears are stock or not? :?