PDA

View Full Version : Question in regards to tint over middle brake light

XYZ
01-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi,

I got pulled over for "dangerous start off the line" at a light, but luckily I only got a ticket for tinted windows. However, the thing is, my front windows are NOT tinted. I got the following violation:

26101 CVC - Tint over the middle brake light

I did not feel like arguing with the officer on the spot cuz he was actually letting me off easy, as I was doing 60 in a 45, and have a few other mods that he let me off with (esp. my exhaust system). However, I looked up on-line as what the California Vehicle Code was for 26101 and it states:

Modification of Vehicle Equipment

26101. No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of Section 26104. This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935, or to lamps installed on authorized emergency vehicles.

But . . . every car I see has tint over the middle brake light, is there anyway I can get this signed off w/o taking off my tint? Has anyone gotten a ticket for this before? I am going to call the shop that did my tint and ask about this . . .
Any experiences or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

- XYZ

Granny Shifter
01-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Hope everything works out. Please keep us updated on this. I always figured tint was okay as long as you don't have it on the windshield and front windows.

BMan
01-19-2007, 11:54 PM
To my knowledge the third brake light is not mandatory. This law was passed to stop the "Blue Dot" craze of the '50's.