PDA

View Full Version : Launch

MR.Min
01-20-2007, 11:17 AM
hi i was wondering wat the best rpm to launch is with the evo?

bleublaze55
01-20-2007, 11:20 AM
correct me if i am wrong, but there is no specific RPM to launch at. with turbos you basically want to get them to get charged up before launching by reving the engine a bunch.

swimmer160
01-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I'll hold betwee 33-3500 for a launch and it launches at damn near full boost

thisxguy
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
um..i dont think you can hit full boost from revving.

you have a 9, so just floor it and let it bounce off the rev limiter...then slip the clutch

just know that if you launch evos, you'll break something sooner than lets say a honda will (mainly due to our the awd)

supravital
01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
since u have a 9 u could bounce off launch control and then a quick slip...i have an 04 so i pretty much do a quick slip at around 5000-5500

TeKiZeRo
01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
What my friend does with his IX is he puts it in first gear (of course), and he mashes the pedal so the RPMS bounces off 5K RPM and just slips the clutch out a bit. There's a "launch control" on the car so the needle will just bounce off 5K RPM.

swimmer160
01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
um..i dont think you can hit full boost from revving.

you have a 9, so just floor it and let it bounce off the rev limiter...then slip the clutch

just know that if you launch evos, you'll break something sooner than lets say a honda will (mainly due to our the awd)

i don't hit full boost, but hit damn near, prolly 16-17. but yes, I totally agree, you will break something alot quicker. And it's hellacious on your clutch, because of awd.

RumbleN
01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
i fried the stock clutch in my IX probably partially related to learning how to launch it. if you get it down and can do it without smelling burning clutch you're moving in the right direction though :)

500whp
01-22-2007, 08:22 PM
dont do it

CICreations
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
I have done several pulls with friends, (OK just to point out, these are on a road out in the middle of the high desert near where we live where you can see like 10 miles in each direction and there aren't even any houses, not on city streets), anyway and we always go from like 20 or 40 mile an hour rolls. That takes the launch stress on the car and driver error out of the equation. I ran with a buddy of mine that has an STI a few months back and on the roll I pulled away hard. He pulls up to me and was all like "hey, lets do a launch." So, admittedly having never launched my Evo I agreed. We line up, 3 beeps and he takes off and Im like what the heck, Im not going anywhere... Well needless to say my inexperience led me to feathering and probably taking like 10K miles off my clutch. I swear the car stunk all the way home. Oh well, live and learn.

jeepers
01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
dont do it

ditto

kimletrim
01-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Do it! LOL....vendors need to sell more clutches.

bash
02-02-2007, 09:24 AM
yeah launching is not a thing i would do in this car.... now my s10 company truck.... ... thats a diff story

Evo8you
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Tip, don't launch the car on the steet aka asphalt! it is to hard on the car. If you have ever been to a drag strip the launch pad is cement. If you need to practice find some concrete and try,even better find some damp concrete it is more like a drag strip launch pad.

jspevo
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
As hard as you want... but clutch will wear out faster than usual...

trmacblckevo
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
well i have an VIII so my 2step was set @5000 rpm from the factory.. i upped' it to 5500 rpm.
so like many people have said already, floor it as it will bounce of the 2step bring the clutch up a little right about when you think its gonna move then release.. dont pop it or side step it!! just just bring your foot up not too slow or too fast.. if done correctly your car will launch like a bat out a cave!!! and your clutch wont smell because you are not slipping it. took me a clutch @ 15,000 miles to get it right!! so if you dont mind buying a new clutch. go ahead and practice.. practice makes perfect!

1of1000MR
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Just rev that bitch to 6K, slip-slip-drop, and your f'n gone!!!

Granny Shifter
02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
and so is your transfer case... haha. perfect timing

1of1000MR
02-13-2007, 10:10 PM
and so is your transfer case... haha. perfect timing

I guess ur right, but ur gonna damage parts either way if u race. So why not go all out?

Skiracer
02-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I've owned an evo for 2 years and I never launched my car.

1of1000MR
02-13-2007, 10:15 PM

Good Job.

trmacblckevo
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM

what are you scared!!! j/k lol!

JOOTZ
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
With a stick shift, the main aim is to avoid excessive wheelspin by pressing the throttle too much, but also avoid bogging down the motor by pressing the throttle too little. The driver has to get the throttle input just right, like in that Goldilocks fairytale. Each car engine has a different rpm range in which it will produce the most power. The trick is to keep the engine in this sweet spot from the moment you cross the starting line all the way to the finish line, without any of this peak power being wasted. Launching a car hard from a dead stop is accomplished by slipping the clutch and spinning the tires, both within reason. Power is lost here, but most engines have narrow power and torque bands, so the fastest launch will include wheelspin and slipping the clutch. The only way to find out how much slipping would be just right is to experiment at the track, holding the throttle at various rpm levels at launch to see how much juice is needed for the quickest start.

While playing with the clutch and throttle, use the parking brake to keep your car from rolling. This is the only way to keep your car stationary while you work the clutch with the left foot and the throttle with the right. You then release the parking brake as you launch.

automatic transmissions are known as being more useful for lazy commuters than for hardcore racers. But it may be surprising for some to know that many pro drag-racing cars have heavy-duty auto gearboxes. That's because the brake-torque launch is an automatic specialty. This launch involves keeping the car stationary by flooring the brakes with the left foot, while using the right foot to rev up the engine against the torque converter. In technical terms, this preloads the entire drivetrain with the stress of a launch, allowing the engine to rev closer to its power and torque peaks at the starting line. Brake-torquing is also beneficial for turbocharged engines as it allows boost to build up before the launch, reducing turbo lag. The only problem is that there is a lot of stress on the transmission, and the consequent heat build-up can destroy your automatic gearbox. Unless your car has too much power for the tires to handle, a brake-torque launch usually will not spin the wheels. This is because the automatic transmission absorbs the shock by design, and brake-torquing actually reduces stress on the rest of the drivetrain. Instead of a sudden massive load, the drivetrain has the torque applied slower instead of one huge jolt.

all-wheel-drive cars have made inroads in the sport compact market with the likes of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and the Subaru WRX. These high-tech four-wheel-driven machines often have more traction than they can use, so a nearly full-throttle launch is possible without a hint of wheelspin. Generous throttle application is needed since bogging down the motor is even easier in these cars. But these perfect-looking launches are very hard on the clutch and drivetrain. These cars actually last longer for drag-race duty when equipped with an automatic, and the easiest of all to launch, but the most hardcore of these rally-bred cars only come with a manual in keeping with their corner-carving tradition.

ganma
02-13-2007, 11:18 PM
this is tempting....want to do it but don't want to break nothing..

Granny Shifter
02-14-2007, 01:28 AM

Haha, the king of launching speaks! Oscar is the best guy for launching advice.

branksIX
06-08-2007, 12:43 AM
I love launching but i feel so bad after, i hate launching on the street aswel, ive tried it a couple of times and for some reason my clutch slipped every time. at the track its never slipped. very weird

4g63superboost
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM

hahhaha perfectly said !!! 0-60 in OH SHIT !!!!!!!

ev0ninerr
08-29-2007, 02:40 AM
man, it took me 3-4 tries to get one perfect launch out of the cave on a stock ix se. feel it, know it, experience it. then you're good. be prepared to smell the whole way home though and have 2 grand for a hardcore twin plate clutch next time around. i've tried bouncing it, 3000, 5000, and 6000. 3000 if you want consistency and not too hard of a time on the car. 5000 on a stock clutch is a good feeling, but not as great as coming from 6900. heh. trying to launch is like the first time driving stick over again, well at least that's how it was for me. nervous as hell. chillax and try it out if you're that eager. order your act or exedy twin plate though. hah. i bogged when i slipped it too fast from bouncing, you gotta slip it a little faster than usual, but don't just let your foot get pushed up without any resistance. before you know it you're flying and become one extremely happy person once your catch point hits.

white9
08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
dude just rev till u start seeing smoke comming from the hood.... that means go! just drop the shit and there u go "dont worry if u feel like ur shits on fire, that just means its ready to launch"

ev0ninerr
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
when your smells like it just cooked a full on meal. then you're good.

onesickevo
04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
lol old thread but they sell a launch aid now! buchur racing i dont know if n e one has it but im interested in it!!

joeevo
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM
5000rpm..just pedal it..dont hold it...then let the clutch go nad you'll launch

XdsEVO8X
08-21-2009, 01:40 PM
E-brake launch ftw

todaysivxx
01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
who needs automatic for a good launch? just get a third leg. (a real one with a foot on it lol) im bored.