PDA

View Full Version : BOV or BPV

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Why would anyone ever want to buy a Blow off Valve besides wanting to hear the nice swoosh sound in shifts and letting off the gas?Â* There are so many problems associated with BOVs it's not even funny.

Why would you not want to divert pressure back into your intake?

Terry S
01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
This is really not necessary to post.

IBL.

Terry S

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
This is really not necessary to post.

IBL.

Terry S

Please post an answer to my question if possible... If it wasn't necessary to post, why are you adding to it?

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:10 PM
People buy it because it can hold more boost also O0 the stock BOV on a 8 is plastic.

Maybe you are asking why people like to VTA, not recirc?

1WkdEvo
01-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh crap another attitude. Â*If you want a legitimate answer, try searching or try asking in a tone that suggests you want an answer as opposed to a rhetorical question tone. Â*There are in fact cases where a BOV is helpful Â*late in the upgrade path or in certain cases, (Goku) where it shown to provide improved boost hold.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
People buy it because it can hold more boost also O0 the stock BOV on a 8 is plastic.

That is exactly what I am asking. Â*BOV or Bypass Valve, or recirculating Valve, or even a BOV with recirculating capabilities.

Would a BOV with the partial recirculating capability be good enough for sound, and performance, or do you need to recirculate all of the pressure? Â*I would assume all, but I'm a newb....

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:13 PM

That is exactly what I am asking. BOV or Bypass Valve, or recirculating Valve, or even a BOV with recirculating capabilities.

Would a BOV with the partial recirculating capability be good enough for sound, and performance, or do you need to recirculate all of the pressure? I would assume all, but I'm a newb....

You don't need to recirc any of it, but there are BOVs out there that are dual port therefore you can recirc and VTA and adjust it to your likings.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh crap another attitude. Â*If you want a legitimate answer, try searching or try asking in a tone that suggests you want an answer as opposed to a rhetorical question tone. Â*There are in fact cases where a BOV is helpful Â*late in the upgrade path or in certain cases, (Goku) where it shown to provide improved boost hold.

I'm sorry, I don't have an attitude, (or sarcastic for that matter --->) I'm just want someone to post something meaningful, I'm asking a question, I'm sorry that some people might think it is a dumb question...

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:14 PM

I was under the impression that it ran rich without recirculating.

That is exactly what I am asking. BOV or Bypass Valve, or recirculating Valve, or even a BOV with recirculating capabilities.

Would a BOV with the partial recirculating capability be good enough for sound, and performance, or do you need to recirculate all of the pressure? I would assume all, but I'm a newb....

You don't need to recirc any of it, but there are BOVs out there that are dual port therefore you can recirc and VTA and adjust it to your likings.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I was under the impression that the engine ran rich in between shifts without recirculation...

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Well, it depends some evos don't like straight VTA, but some don't mind. I know a lot of people who run full VTA and their car is fine. Mine is a GFB which allows VTA and recirc, I am fully VTA right now and the car runs good, actually runs better because I don't backfire anymore ;)

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Hmmm, would that be contributed to the fact that you have other mods (that your car runs fine)?

What kind of BOV are you using. And do you have IX or VIII.

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I have a VIII, it is a GoFastBits BOV. The fact that my cars runs fine is because the BOV is a good one. More mods on your car shouldn't really make the BOV work better.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Bolt on right? Did you have it tuned, or just calibrated the BOV and it works good huh?

How much preasure do you have it set to vent at?

(Thank you for your input)

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Bolt on right? Did you have it tuned, or just calibrated the BOV and it works good huh?

BOV is a bolt on yes, there is not tuning involved except for turning the top knob to adjust how much VTA and recirc you want. Works like a charm with any setting you choose.

You don't set a pressure for it to release at.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:29 PM

BOV is a bolt on yes, there is not tuning involved except for turning the top knob to adjust how much VTA and recirc you want. Works like a charm with any setting you choose.

You don't set a pressure for it to release at.

Is this the BOV you are talking about:

http://www.lancershop.com/product_image.php?imageid=109

Nice, was it hard to install?

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Yea that is the one, not hard at all.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Yea that is the one, not hard at all.

Great, thank you for your help. There is just one thing though I still don't understand: Your BOV is working like a charm on your Evo, but don't you still run rich for a second?

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
My car runs rich then lean then almost stalls...that is because of my cams though :2funny:

Lets just say, my shifts are clean when doing a pull or just normal driving, the BOV is not causing any harm to my car...my foot is O0

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:40 PM
My car runs rich then lean then almost stalls...that is because of my cams though :2funny:

Lets just say, my shifts are clean when doing a pull or just normal driving, the BOV is not causing any harm to my car...my foot is O0

I understand, alright, I think that's all I wanted to know. Unless you want to take the time to tell me which mod to do first, I don't even have a PSI guage. Stock Evo IX, I guess the only thing that I did do was change out the tires for some Extreme Performance tires, (which is one the easiest and best mods in my opinion...) Other than that though, I have no experience in moding, and how to get more horse power for the least amount of money (running on CA 91 oct.)

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:43 PM
No need to upgrade your BOV because the IX comes with a metal BOV, will work fine for lightly modded cars and even some heavier modded cars. Best thing ofcourse is exhaust, drop-in filter, boost gauge and manual boost controller, fuel pump and then a flash by dr. gray.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
No need to upgrade your BOV because the IX comes with a metal BOV, will work fine for lightly modded cars and even some heavier modded cars. Best thing ofcourse is exhaust, drop-in filter, boost gauge and manual boost controller, fuel pump and then a flash by dr. gray.

What size exhaust, catless? How well do those high flow cats work? Dr. Gray?

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
With all that, what kind of gains are we looking at? What else could I do?

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
a full turboback exhaust 3", a 2.75" downpipe will be fine though also. HFC is good, test pipe is better, but the RRE Rally Cat is my fav. Dr. Gray will flash your ECU which in turn will make you grin from ear to ear.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
a full turboback exhaust 3", a 2.75" downpipe will be fine though also. HFC is good, test pipe is better, but the RRE Rally Cat is my fav. Dr. Gray will flash your ECU which in turn will make you grin from ear to ear.

Where can I find Dr. Gray? Contact info?

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
With all that, what kind of gains are we looking at? What else could I do?

With what I posted before you should be around 310-330 WHP, with similar torque.

You can do whatever you want, injectors, cams, lower i/c piping, i/c, fuel rail, bigger turbo, new clutch...it keeps going.

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Where can I find Dr. Gray? Contact info?

Road Race Engineering

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Wow, by grin from ear to ear, what like 30whp? What type of filter do you reccomend, same goes with all the other mods, what brand do you reccomend?

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Wow, by grin from ear to ear, what like 30whp? What type of filter do you reccomend, same goes with all the other mods, what brand do you reccomend?

That is all opinion, can't help you there, everyone likes different brands.

LiquidLife
01-26-2007, 05:09 PM

That is all opinion, can't help you there, everyone likes different brands.

Well I guess my question was if a brand was better in some way, but more along the lines of if one brand is built better than another (excluding looks/sound/etc...) so simply good engineering for a good price.

Anyway, thank you for your help, I don't need an answer to the question above, I agree with you.

I appritiate your assistance!

EvoPwr
01-26-2007, 05:23 PM
No problem O0 :mitsu: