PDA

View Full Version : Where does Tuning Technologies go from here?

Smogrunner
01-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Please explain yourself after voting. BTW, you can vote twice.

(BTW, Alfred and Jenn: I have been a customer since 11/2004)

MR. Birdie
01-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I would have to say bigger shop to handle much more volume. Since TT been so busy it just crazy not to have a bigger shop. O0

Smogrunner
01-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey you anonymous voters, why did you vote the way you did?

I wished I could vote three times, but I really want to see them build an 8 sec Evo and get more involved in road racing. My third vote would have went for getting an in-house suspension guru.

qwikrnu
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I would like to see TT build a 8 or 9 sec. evo. I believe that would take their business to the next level. I also think more presence at track days would be beneficial to their business.

Smogrunner
01-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I would like to see TT build a 8 or 9 sec. evo. I believe that would take their business to the next level. I also think more presence at track days would be beneficial to their business.

Hey Eric,
You need to change your sig to 609Whp

JDMC-WestEVO
01-28-2007, 06:20 PM
i vote for the drag racing and to specialize in more cars. because i think they need more serious drag evos

qwikrnu
01-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Hey Eric,
You need to change your sig to 609Whp

Thanks! fixed

j_nizzle
01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
i personally think if you guys started suspension tuning and/or working on more than your niche market, it could possibly mean more success in the tuner industry.

what buyers and enthusiasts are looking for nowadays is a one-stop shop. they can buy mods, get them installed, have them tuned, and ultimately have a complete car at the end of the day and not have to worry about going here or there for this and that.

i have to give props to road race (sorry guys) they are almost a one stop shop for evos/dsm's....though more than one actual shop, potential buyers can visit essentially one location and take care of everything they need. parts, suspension, installs, and tuning. the down side, if you choose to view it as such, is that they dont specialize in more than mitsu cars.

so if you guys started to turn your shop into more or a "one-stop" for car-guys in general, it would/could help. im not necessarily saying, go get a hyundai guy because he's vital, but i mean mix it up...mitsu guy, subie guy, toyota guy, bimmer guy, vw guy, etc. etc.

my .02

wirespeed
01-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Get serious about drag racing: Build a eight or low nine second Evo.
get a bigger shop to support the increase volume of customers.

i vote for those. Â*I think a tt drag car would lead to more exposure. Â*Maybe try to get it in magazines so more people become aware of this shop. Â*And then when they get more customers, they should expand their shop size. Â*Once that is set do coilovers and other cars. Â*

do one thing at a time and don't try to rush it because customer service is the key.

1WkdEvo
01-28-2007, 06:55 PM
I like the one stop shop idea and the more track days idea. Reasons for such already elaborated on above

1of1000MR
01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
I voted to start specializing in other cars. Like other members, I feel that the EVO 8 & 9 are the last "real EVO's." The success of the EVO has been crazy in the U.S. It has been the craze for the last 4 years, TT has definitely benefited from this. They have been one of the true EVO shops in SoCal. With all that being said, wouldn't it be great to specialize in more than one car? TT is moving to a bigger facility and if your going to expand, why not appeal to more than one specific car? Why not have great success specializing on a variety of cars or the next "it" car? I think TT should aim to have the same success that they've had with EVO's on other cars. I also voted to have more of an involved in Road Racing/Time Attacks/Track Days. I would love to see them walk away with some Track Records or some more accomplishments on the track.

Skiracer
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
I voted for: Begin specializing in other cars (Subarus, Mazdaspeed, etc.)

You need to diversify in case the Mitsu business dries up for some reason ...

Miss Evo8
01-28-2007, 08:04 PM
You know where I vote Alfred/ Jenn..... get more involved in Road Racing... Time Attacks... etc....

it's a mortal sin to drag race an Evo...

sspeed
01-28-2007, 09:35 PM
I want them to move closer to OC...Its a long haul to Colton.

Gear Grinder
01-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Open a shop in Long Beach. I'll help you find the perfect place.I'll even dig the hole for the dyno for free

Miss Evo8
01-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Open a shop in Long Beach. I'll help you find the perfect place.I'll even dig the hole for the dyno for free

O0 please take up Danny on his offer!

1of1000MR
01-28-2007, 10:13 PM

No! I like TT being 3 miles away from my house! :coolsmiley:

evobeaner
01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
You know where I vote Alfred/ Jenn..... get more involved in Road Racing... Time Attacks... etc....

it's a mortal sin to drag race an Evo...

ditto!!!!!!!
actually smoggy1 of your answers should include all of the above. O0

Granny Shifter
01-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I voted for Road Racing and Suspension Guru. If you have a hot thing going on with evos, why not make it hotter?

R3dline
01-28-2007, 10:38 PM
bigger shop and suspension tuning all in the same location ;)

MillDogg
01-28-2007, 11:39 PM
I think testing various performance parts in your shop would make it easier for evo owners to make decisions on what mod's would help the most for there application ie: drag, road race, etc.

Gear Grinder
01-29-2007, 08:03 AM

No! I like TT being 3 miles away from my house! :coolsmiley:
No, no, no... I'm saying have two shops. TT, and TT East.

airforce1
01-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Drag racing? Don't. Please. It's one dimensional racing and only reflects your approach to modification. Track, drift, and time attacks are here to stay.

Al, you have to take ski racer's advice and expand to other cars. Evo's are not here to stay and you have to win over other customers to stay in business. In business speak this is called diversification and I am pretty sure you already know this.

Don't branch out yet because you are the only game in town in the IE. Keep your footprint and business there and expand after you have the resources, technicians (very very good ones) and if there is a demand.

Suspensions is a must and one stop shop racing is the way to go. Take time now to look into suspension gurus if you haven't already. Smoggie seems like the person to look to since he has a lot of discussions with Ohlins and chronomaster.

Lastly, you need to hire more desk folks. People really respond to not only good customer service but quick. This is why I never went to RRC to have my suspension tuned because I never got my questions answered.

Hope this helps in 20+ more years of TT

Capt Kim (customer since Feb 05)

Smogrunner
01-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Capt,
Thanks for the vote of confidence in terms of suspensions, but I am completely unqualified in the handling department. I did a lot of research and bought a nice little coil over system based on the knowledge of others. I would be happy to work with Alfred to work to find a guru-type person though.

smokinevo9
01-29-2007, 10:03 AM
i think sometime just by wanting bigger thing it will sometime just back fire on you.
im just saying may be things are great the way things are.
if they move closer and bigger place just mean more money go out for TT.
people need to move to be closer to work or business.
i have no clue what im talking about right now...................yeah rite
if you guys are about to do some shit like this let the brotha know may be ill invest with AL :grin: :grin: :grin:

bash
01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
maybe an additional facility, not a larger one ?

x[corwyn]
01-29-2007, 10:12 AM

+1 As impressed as I am with TTs success and service, driving out there is way too far for getting my car work done. Actually I should restate it...I didnt mind driving that way 10 years ago but coming back from snowboarding yesterday reaquainted me why I hate driving out that way. Too many damned people moved out there and the Freeway system there was never setup for that kind of traffic. 2 1/2 hours to get home from 215/91. I do whatever I can to avoid going on the 91.

Smogrunner
01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
]

+1 As impressed as I am with TTs success and service, driving out there is way too far for getting my car work done. Actually I should restate it...I didnt mind driving that way 10 years ago but coming back from snowboarding yesterday reaquainted me why I hate driving out that way. Too many damned people moved out there and the Freeway system there was never setup for that kind of traffic. 2 1/2 hours to get home from 215/91. I do whatever I can to avoid going on the 91.

I'm always buggin' Alfred to relocate to Corona, Murrieta, or Temecula. He could shore up his San Diego customers that way. They would go from driving 100 miles to around 60. The Orange county folks could come over the Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74) which is kinda fun and save time too.

diegoalunan
01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
id love for them to have a shop in corona, murrieta or tmec. just as the other guys were saying. i know logistics would be hard.. and they want to really please cstomers.. by eing focused on every single one of them... but... im pretty sure.. they can handle it.. ..

so please T... move or even put up a branch in murrieta!! i swear il e there everyday. iheck il even work for u guys!!!

bash
01-29-2007, 12:02 PM
haha +1 right off ortega would be sweet, and property isnt suuuper steep over there either the whole elsinore area hasnt been over taken by track homes yet, but i can see why tt loves their current shop, its like 20 seconds from home for jenn and alfred haha. Id def be there more often if it was closer though.

yooyooyoo
01-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Tuning technologies obviously does extremely solid work. They also have excellent customer service. Its amazing how crappy customer service is generally in this customer driven industry.

If it were my business, and since it is a business, I'd say this:

Analyze each and every service performed by the shop and calculate which are truly most profitable. Then focusing on those services, build relationships with parts companies that provide parts for those services.

In this day of drop shipping everything it seems to me that being a vendor for parts would be pretty easy.

Car sponsorship is an excellent advertising route, assuming you've got a rockin driver. Since racing is so expensive, just compete in those events that get maximum magazine coverage and I guarantee thats not SCCA or NASA. Its odd how those organizations are so disconnected from the magazines with respect to advertising.

Maybe a driver search or go to the track days/time attacks/drags and snipe a good amateur driver. See who is going how fast with what kinda setup. Find someone who is fast and just doesn't have a fast car.

Also, what some other vendors do with creating set packages are good for those that want a setup that works without having to think to much. But perhaps building some flexibility into those packages so that those research-magazine-racing-customers can customize their packages on an as needed basis.

There are obviously one or two shops you need to go head to head with in socal/norcal to get a majority of the business.

Ohh another crazy idea I just had: pickup/drop off service for cars.

x[corwyn]
01-29-2007, 02:47 PM

And have a partnership with a rental company for discounts. Not being able to drop off my car off hours at a majority of the shops here drives me insane. Since the majority of the "good" shops are so far removed I also have a helluva time figuring out how I would get home.

Smogrunner
01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Tuning technologies obviously does extremely solid work. They also have excellent customer service. Its amazing how crappy customer service is generally in this customer driven industry.

If it were my business, and since it is a business, I'd say this:

Analyze each and every service performed by the shop and calculate which are truly most profitable. Then focusing on those services, build relationships with parts companies that provide parts for those services.

In this day of drop shipping everything it seems to me that being a vendor for parts would be pretty easy.

Car sponsorship is an excellent advertising route, assuming you've got a rockin driver. Since racing is so expensive, just compete in those events that get maximum magazine coverage and I guarantee thats not SCCA or NASA. Its odd how those organizations are so disconnected from the magazines with respect to advertising.

Maybe a driver search or go to the track days/time attacks/drags and snipe a good amateur driver. See who is going how fast with what kinda setup. Find someone who is fast and just doesn't have a fast car.

Also, what some other vendors do with creating set packages are good for those that want a setup that works without having to think to much. But perhaps building some flexibility into those packages so that those research-magazine-racing-customers can customize their packages on an as needed basis.

There are obviously one or two shops you need to go head to head with in socal/norcal to get a majority of the business.

Wow, great response. IIRC, you and I didn't get off to the best start on this forum. But the past is the past, and your suggestions are very solid.

yooyooyoo
01-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, a lot of that is my fault as well. Not getting off to the greatest start. I've been to Murrieta Mitsu Dealership since then, the guys there are pretty solid.

airforce1
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
+1 on drop-off service and pickup. It really limits people's schedules on when to get service. Also, the race modification packages would help as well. Some people just want to mod and go.

bash
01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
ooooooo I like the pickup and drop off service that is the best idea I have ever heard !!!! Insurance could be $$ for that though....

4G63 FEVER
01-29-2007, 04:05 PM
]

I'm always buggin' Alfred to relocate to Corona, Murrieta, or Temecula. He could shore up his San Diego customers that way. They would go from driving 100 miles to around 60. The Orange county folks could come over the Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74) which is kinda fun and save time too.

Hmm here is a novel idea maybe you move closer to where they are??? I know that is unlikely so basically bite the bullet and make the run to their shop. .

I'm 2 plus hours one way away from there but when I decide to get the stuff done I'll just have to suck it up and make the run.

So most of you that P&M about the distance need to check yourselves.

In the end they will do what's best for their own intrests as it should be.Â* Not what a random post on a message borad could suggest.Â* Â* One last thing (for smoggy) I'm sure you are getting a SMOKING deal due to the ammount you have done there in the past either that or you are independently wealthy.

x[corwyn]
01-29-2007, 04:32 PM
]

Hmm here is a novel idea maybe you move closer to where they are??? I know that is unlikely so basically bite the bullet and make the run to their shop. .

I'm 2 plus hours one way away from there but when I decide to get the stuff done I'll just have to suck it up and make the run.

So most of you that P&M about the distance need to check yourselves.

In the end they will do what's best for their own intrests as it should be.Â* Not what a random post on a message borad could suggest.Â* Â* One last thing (for smoggy) I'm sure you are getting a SMOKING deal due to the ammount you have done there in the past either that or you are independently wealthy.

I hate the area so much I refuse to go out there unless completely 100% necessary because too many people live out there already, and the traffic is terrible....so move out there?! Tell your customers to move where you are, or move to your customers.... Which way makes more sense. I am questioning your business model. Not their overall location. I don't know how that location works for them personally, the only thing I know of is its too far for me to do without a lot of hoop jumping. To suggest to move somewhere so I can mod my car is probably the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

yooyooyoo
01-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Expanding on the parts/vendor relationship idear. It seems like every evo under the sun has the same problem with its tranny. So why not offer a clutch replacement/shep tranny strengthening cryo slider thingie. Then pick the best clutch vendor from your experience, stock three or four different models based on application and sell the whole shebang as a single service. And for those evos with an open diff, offer a helical install as an option.

Heck, I need the above or will need it very very soon and from what I understand, to get to the clutch all that other crap has to come out anyways...

sspeed
01-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I hate the area so much I refuse to go out there unless completely 100% necessary because too many people live out there already, and the traffic is terrible....so move out there?! Tell your customers to move where you are, or move to your customers.... Which way makes more sense. I am questioning your business model. Not their overall location. I don't know how that location works for them personally, the only thing I know of is its too far for me to do without a lot of hoop jumping. To suggest to move somewhere so I can mod my car is probably the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

Great response and I agree completely.* TT is by far my favorite shop, but I end up giving quite a bit of business to others just because of the distances involved.* Unfortunately some of us who live in the OC and other distant locations have jobs that do not allow us to "drop everything" and run to Colton. And move to Colton just to be closer??? Uh huh..

Gear Grinder
01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Begin specializing in other cars (Subarus, Mazdaspeed, etc.)

I already have the TT lic plate holder on my wifes Mazda, so you are half way there. Ha ha.

x[corwyn]
01-29-2007, 08:45 PM

Great response and I agree completely.� TT is by far my favorite shop, but I end up giving quite a bit of business to others just because of the distances involved.� Unfortunately some of us who live in the OC and other distant locations have jobs that do not allow us to "drop everything" and run to Colton. And move to Colton just to be closer??? Uh huh..

Understand I would dig them being closer to OC or better yet IN OC, but I was replying to the comment that *I* need to move to Colton. Colton might totally work for them and I sincerely hope they continue to succeed. Maybe opening a 2nd shop in OC should be on the list ;)

nj1266
01-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I voted "other." By other here is what I mean:

1. Invest in someone who is knowledgeable and technical and can answer the phones and tech questions from people who are having issues with their car. Bob Seekcts and I tried to contact the shop by e-mail and phone but got few if any responses. We finally had to DRIVE BY and set-up an appointment. You need someone who is strongly technical and capable of making appointment decisions. Tech support is essential for your future success.

2. Get rid of the Dynojet Wideband. It is inconsistent and sometimes inaccurate. I am not the only one to say this. There will be a shootout result coming out soon that will embarass the makers of this really bad wideband. I mentioned that to Alfred last time I saw him and he seemed to want to do this. I talked to Innovate Motorsports for him and they told me that they can integrate their top of the line ST-12 system with the dynojet. This way the Innovate results will appear on the dynojet computer screen and printout.

Here is the ST-12 http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/st12.php

When I come by with Bob on Friday I would like to show Alfred what Innovate products are capable of. I am currently logging All the parameters from the Xede, from the ECU and from the Innovate AFR unit and boost unit in ONE integrated chart via the Logworks program.

IMO, these two suggestions will make a good shop even better.

Dos531
02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Begin specializing in other cars. Im not biased at all.

EVOMANIAC
02-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Definitely should specialize in other cars. You have only tapped a small percentage of the market right now. Evo's are not going to keep you in bussiness forever. Look at the top selling sports cars and expand your knowledge of tuning/modifing on those platforms. Maybe the new Evo X will turn out to be a good platform, maybe it wont. We wont find out until they hit the market and people start spending the money for R&D, which is probably the most expensive part of the tuner industry. What ever route you guys take good luck.

PS The move to Temecula or Murietta would be nice for the SD people.

G20
02-12-2007, 03:56 PM
The first thing to improve is ANSWER MY PMs. :-) I'm just kidding since it's not too important for me but it may be an issue for some others.

Actually, TT needs more marketing/advertise. I was surprise when there're lot of EVO owners I met at the drag event in Fontana didn't know there's a shop named Tuning Technologies and they live around that area as well (Fontana, Pomona, San Bernadino area...).

Smogrunner
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I hope everyone recognizes that TTech has taken the advice of many of its clients and has done a little road racing lately. 2nd place in theRedline Time Attack at Cal Speedway Modified AWD. We drove the car there, did a 1:12.2, got our little plaque, and drove the car home. It was an absolute blast.

Stinji
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Well you know where I stand on this since I don't drive an EVO...expand your business and start working on other cars...

Dos531
02-13-2007, 01:50 AM
I think you would get a lot of takers for some less expensive subaru tuning also.Â* In my research trying to find a tuner most people recommended harman motive, gt motorsports, and crawford, and all they are all quite expensive at ~$500 for a tune, and that is after the purchase of an accessport, utec,Â* or ecutek license which are all ~$700.Â* There are few subaru tuners that use the open source software, so if you did that and offered tunes at a reasonable price I think you would get a lot of business.Â* I know you would get mine.