PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed vs. 6-speed

4g63evo05
10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
:mitsu: Hey, I always woundered if there are any major differences between a 5-speed evo and a 6-speed evo? :mitsu:

Macky
10-25-2005, 08:07 PM
major difference? another gear. US cars only get the 6MT on the MR, elsewhere the GSR trim gets a 6MT.

genrec
10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
i had the 6 speed in my STi...now im back with the 5 speed in my evo VIII....i peronally prefer the 5..i do not the feel the extra gear did anything for myself except when cruising on the freeway at almost around 100+..maybe i got an extra mile out of my full tank of gas... :grin:

kcross
10-26-2005, 02:20 AM
the six speed in the mr also has slightly closer gear ratios (it also has a different rear end but thats another story)

EvoPwr
10-26-2005, 03:30 PM
the stock shifting for the 6-speed is smoother and shorter.

evoibad
10-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Out of the two I choose the 5 speed because in the 6 speed the gearing was way too short for me.

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 04:13 PM
4th gear on my 6-speed is good for about 110-111mph bouncing off the rev-limiter. I believe the 4th gear in the 5-speed is around 120ish mph.

If you do alot of car bowling, people perfer the 5-speed, espically once you get closer to high 11's, low 12's trap speeds (112-115ish) as you won't have to shift into 5th.

I didn't like the 6speed at first because I was shifting so much on the street, Now I don't notice it one bit.

Evolution.VIII
10-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Is the 6 speed the main difference between the MR and standard VIII?

EvoPwr
10-26-2005, 04:27 PM

along with lightweight roof, bbs wheels, bilstein suspension, gauges, vortex generator, carbon fiber shifter and e-brake...i think thats it.

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 04:30 PM

along with lightweight roof, bbs wheels, bilstein suspension, gauges, vortex generator, carbon fiber shifter and e-brake...i think thats it.

Also has HIDS over the standard VIII, and alum pedals.

EvoPwr
10-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Also has HIDS over the standard VIII, and alum pedals.

i knew i forgot something...too much to list. ;)

Terry S
10-26-2005, 04:47 PM
IX GSR's come with the alum pedals too I think.. So the VIII's dont have em?

Terry S

EvoPwr
10-26-2005, 04:47 PM

Terry S

no VIIIs dont come with them standard.

Macky
10-26-2005, 07:21 PM

Terry S

IXs come with the aluminum pedals standard i believe, while the VIIIs had it as an option and standard on the MR

j_nizzle
10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
eh i have a 5 speed and i like it a lot more than an mr shifting....mainly because i have the b&m short shifter set at 45%....good times!

EvoPwr
10-26-2005, 07:53 PM
eh i have a 5 speed and i like it a lot more than an mr shifting....mainly because i have the b&m short shifter set at 45%....good times!

we are talking stock buddy club mofo :knuppel2:

Sly Evo
10-27-2005, 02:53 AM
also 6spd is heavier than the 5spd except for the ssl..

Evo mattVI
10-29-2005, 05:50 PM
I must admit the 5 speed just rocks I have driver all types of evo and it just far superior :grin:

vap_evo
01-30-2007, 06:57 PM
hey, guys, i've been hearing some people say, that a 5-speed is better for drag racing, instead of the 6-six speed, What do you guys think?

And also , I have a 05 MR , i like the new SE Model, I been wanting to make a trade on it, but i dont know if its worth it. Any suggestions?

mister thura
01-30-2007, 07:26 PM
what will your car be doing? If you're gonna be a daily driver I say go with 6-speed and if you go to the track often or sometimes go with 5 speed. That's my opinion..

thisxguy
01-30-2007, 07:31 PM
suggested weapon of choice for road racers, drag racers, autocrossers, etc is the 5 speed since it's stronger. the 6 speed can be beneficial in high speed races...but more than not, the 5 speed is better :P

airforce1
01-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm here in Germany and i wish i had the 6 speed. It suits me on the autobahn

Ricardon
01-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Cinco!

Miss Evo8
01-30-2007, 07:42 PM
5 speed O0

j_nizzle
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
5-spd is just better all around imo. most of the "famous" fast evos whether it's drag racing, track/road racing/autox are 5-spds...though not always the case, most of the 6-spds become weekend cars and are rarely driven/show car.

i guess if you're in airforce1's case, having the 6-spd benefits you. i dunno. im lazy...that one extra gear to shift in and out of is too much work. LOL

entirely up to you though. if it suits you and you have the funds. is our opinion really going to stop you?

j_nizzle
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM
which 1 is faster stock!? lol

rs which means 5...

im lazy...that one extra gear to shift in and out of is too much work. LOL

yep...if i was up to me, i would get a 3speed; 3 long gears =P

hell, if they sold evo wagons(auto) in the us, i'd buy one!

trinydex
01-30-2007, 10:10 PM
for not searching your thread gets absorbed into the exact same question from another thread that you failed finding.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=26157.0

6 speed is a pile. much like your inability to search.

Bueller
02-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Cinco!

de Mayo? Let the drinking debauchery commence! :angel:

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 05:09 PM
for not searching your thread gets absorbed into the exact same question from another thread that you failed finding.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=26157.0

6 speed is a pile. much like your inability to search.

6 speed is not a pile. :uglystupid2: i have had no problems with it.

earlyapex
02-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Tell that to all the open track guys that have had 4th gear shred teeth off itself.

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Tell that to all the open track guys that have had 4th gear shred teeth of itself.

i have not had a problem, i cant help what other people do to their cars, everyone should speak form their own experiences, also your driving habits...ie track not daily driving. lots of things break on the track and wear down quicker...clutch, tires, brakes should they get a bad review too?

earlyapex
02-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Tell that to all the open track guys that have had 4th gear shred teeth of itself.

i have not had a problem, i cant help what other people do to their cars, everyone should speak form their own experiences, also your driving habits...ie track not daily driving. lots of things break on the track and wear down quicker...clutch, tires, brakes should they get a bad review too?

Ok, the 6spd is a pile for track use and more power compared to the 5spd. Better?

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 05:20 PM
not really, just because you fukt up your tranny doesnt mean everyone else will.

earlyapex
02-21-2007, 05:20 PM
not really, just because you fukt up your tranny doesnt mean everyone else will.

Tell that to all the open track guys that have had 4th gear shred teeth off itself.

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
why does it happen? i have 4th WOT throttle a lot shifting into 5th and down shifting from 5th, my 4th is fine.

tanK
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
20+min of track in 4th gear will do it... lots of heat + weak gear = broken gear

earlyapex have you installed your transmission cooler yet? Any cooler temps if you did?

earlyapex
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
why does it happen? i have 4th WOT throttle a lot shifting into 5th and down shifting from 5th, my 4th is fine.

Do you just ignore facts and data? Do some searching. The 6spd cannot take the heat of open track with powerful evos and it cannot take a ton of power in 4th gear because its a much smaller gear than in the 5spd.

The people that rebuild EVO transmissions have the data and the cold hard facts that cannot be ignored.

If you haven't killed your 4th gear you aren't making enough power and/or you are still slow.

Shifting from 4th to 5th to 4th happens all the time, good for you. I think I did that over 20x this weekend. yay me.

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 05:36 PM
sorry i dont visit evom, thats why i started here, id ont like evom and the people there...too bad this place is going that direction.

anyways, what does being slow have to do with it, all i am saying is he is stating a lot of things and not backing it up. i just asked him to verify his statement...i can verify mine.

earlyapex
02-21-2007, 05:38 PM
oh yay you another typical sce smartass. too slow...ok, yea i make 326/310 on 91 and 351/349 on 100 (dynojet). Slow...hmm you are right hitting the throttle to the floor is really fucking hard :roll: i am glad you did it 20x this weekend, want a cookie? Yes i ignore the facts and data, i forgot how much was provided in this thread...oh wait there wasn't any :roll: if you were to post facts from shops or problems that shops have seen or encountered that would be different. :idiot2:

...puts dick on table...

Yay! My evo makes 349whp/335wtq on 100 octane on a mustang dyno. Add 30-50whp depending on who you talk to to match dynojets. So yes, you aren't making enough power and/or you are still slow.

Let me know next time you do six 20-30 minute open track sessions in 95F heat with that type of power. Over and over and over again.

...takes dick off table...

Search yourself. There are multiple threads in the motorsports section on evom with 4th gear failures in 6spds on the track. Drag and open tracks. Do your homework before you start throwing hissy fits when you get challenged.

Here is 1 example:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/broken_6spd/broken6spd01.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/broken_6spd/broken6spd02.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/broken_6spd/evoMR_6spd_4thgear_size01.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/broken_6spd/evoMR_6spd_4thgear_size02.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/broken_6spd/evoMR_6spd_4thgear_size03.jpg

Call up TRE and ask about the 6spd and it's problems and design flaws: 269.382.2669

Call up Shep racing and ask about the 6spd and it's problems and design flaws: 330.832.2366

Let me know when you do that and we can have a better discussion than just "I go WOT on the street Yo and my gearbox roxOrx!"

tanK
02-21-2007, 05:41 PM
sorry i dont visit evom, thats why i started here, id ont like evom and the people there...too bad this place is going that direction.

anyways, what does being slow have to do with it, all i am saying is he is stating a lot of things and not backing it up. i just asked him to verify his statement...i can verify mine.

Because if you're slow, you won't be hitting the corners/apexes (all at a ROAD COURSE NOT STREET) hard enough to max out 4th gear...

Seriously, even if you don't read evom, socalevo.net has extensive coverage of the 6speed 4th gear failures... searching only takes 4 min! :P

Blaze
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Guys:

Please keep this debate civil. If you don't agree, back it up with facts, not personal attacks.

Blaze

EvoPwr
02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
oh yay you another typical sce smartass. too slow...ok, yea i make 326/310 on 91 and 351/349 on 100 (dynojet). Slow...hmm you are right hitting the throttle to the floor is really fucking hard :roll: i am glad you did it 20x this weekend, want a cookie? Yes i ignore the facts and data, i forgot how much was provided in this thread...oh wait there wasn't any :roll: if you were to post facts from shops or problems that shops have seen or encountered that would be different. :idiot2:

...puts dick on table...

Yay! My evo makes 349whp/335wtq on 100 octane on a mustang dyno. Add 30-50whp depending on who you talk to to match dynojets. So yes, you aren't making enough power and/or you are still slow.

Let me know next time you do six 20-30 minute open track sessions in 95F heat with that type of power. Over and over and over again.

...takes dick off table...

Let me know when you do that and we can have a better discussion than just "I go WOT on the street Yo and my gearbox roxOrx!"

See why do you have to be an ignorant immature punk kid? You were making a great post with pics and then you act like a child...congrats O0

Bueller
02-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes, the 6sp vs 5sp issue has been addressed before...its been a while. Â*I suppose not everyone is aware of this. Â*I dont know the exact details, but yes, there seems to be an issue with 4th gear failures. Â*I know of people who track who have experienced this...have not heard of people having this issue who dont hit the track. Â*And it doesnt seem this issue is due to driver error.

gen4k20a2
02-22-2007, 01:48 PM
15k and the tranny is still perfect...just need a fluid change now.

RPD_FKTARD
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
if the 5spd was so great... why would sheppard make a better one?

also... is the 6-speed that's broken driven by a modded evo?

EVO Neil
02-22-2007, 02:10 PM
It IS a heat issue. but as usual people have to go overboard here to make a point.

If your Evo is stock and never tracked then you'll likely never encounter any 4th gear failures. In this case the 6-speed is likely the better choice. I prefer my 6-speed over my 5-speed. The shift quality is better on the "6" and it is better geared (yes, I know this changed for the IX 5-speed).

If you are drag racing or tracking your 6-speed Evo then you are likely to have a 4th gear failure and would be better served with the 5-speed, modded or not. Extra power doesn't seem to be the qualifier here, just transmission heat generated from tracking the car.

So why do we continue to have a stock street driven 6-speed Evo owner arguing with a modded track-driven 6-speed Evo owner about two totally different sets of parameters? You two are comparing apples and oranges, so just stop. You've both made your points.

EvoPwr
02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Well I am not stock, but I see your point, the thing is they are making it out to be that the 6 speed is a pile, when in fact it is not. Just because some people abuse their cars and shit breaks, is no need to talk shit on a part. Also, there are plenty of people who have problems with their 5 speed on the track and that is why shepard makes better/stronger parts for the 5 speed.

EVO Neil
02-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Well I am not stock, but I see your point, the thing is they are making it out to be that the 6 speed is a pile, when in fact it is not. Just because some people abuse their cars and shit breaks, is no need to talk shit on a part. Also, there are plenty of people who have problems with their 5 speed on the track and that is why shepard makes better/stronger parts for the 5 speed.

His point is based on his perspective, which is as a modded, track-driven owner. The problem is that he is only looking at it from his perspective...

I don't feel the 6-speed is a pile. I own or have owned both and still prefer my 6-speed. But that's from my perspective as a daily driver, non-modded Evo owner.

trinydex
02-22-2007, 03:05 PM
15k and the tranny is still perfect...just need a fluid change now.
that's not a lot of miles...

if the 5spd was so great... why would sheppard make a better one?

also... is the 6-speed that's broken driven by a modded evo?
shep doesn't make a better one... he refurbs beat up ones. if you notice the parts lists... there's very few modified parts. what shep does is immaculate assemblies that keep everything silky smooth cuz the specs on the button.

trinydex
02-22-2007, 03:14 PM

stuff that breaks at the track does get bad reviews... the exedy single clutch was one of the first things to get bashed when evos first came out cuz they couldnt get an evo going for the life of them.

brake pads that fade like poop get no respect... everyone is lookin' for the perfect hybrid pad, not some stuff that will crumble and turn to ash when you get on it.

if the 6 speed can't take track use why is it better than the 5 speed that can?

neil has pointed out that the shifting is better on 6 speed... then the 6 speed is better for that.

apples

oranges

EvoPwr
02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I agree with that now, but here is the thing, they came out saying "the 6 speed is a pile" no reasons why, that was from you Triny. O0

gen4k20a2
02-22-2007, 06:11 PM
All i know that teh 6 speed in the MR is better than the POS that was in my RSX-S ....NOW THAT WAS A POS TRANNY!!! dumb ass honda

mister thura
02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
how can you say honda transmissions suck? have you ever driven and felt the s2k's transmission? like butter

trinydex
02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree with that now, but here is the thing, they came out saying "the 6 speed is a pile" no reasons why, that was from you Triny. O0
meh, thread title.

fusionchicken
02-22-2007, 09:10 PM
how can you say honda transmissions suck? have you ever driven and felt the s2k's transmission? like butter

+1. the dc5s' transmission was awesome as well, maybe not as good as a 6spd MR but nowhere near POS...

the s2000s tranny is simply amazing.

gen4k20a2
02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
are you joking? the 02-03 Type S's has MANY TSB on them I think more than 4 of which syncro issues being at the top then bearings follwing that. There was a petition on Club RSX with over 3000 people electronically signing it...and that was in 03 when i checked it last. There was more than 1 recall on it actually. I never said anything about S2k so i have no clue about them....but for sure the 02-03 trannys were shit.... the 04+ were different for sure. I cant remeber cause after my first 2 rebuilds i gave up

fusionchicken
02-23-2007, 01:52 AM
ah yes i remember that now....sorry i thought u were just talkin about the way it shifted, the few i drove shifted very well

gen4k20a2
02-23-2007, 09:57 AM
No it shifted perfectly....when you werent at redline...then you got grinding and popping out gear and all sorts a crap. Again it was a piece....great if you never got into VTEC but if you did....start rollin the dice.

EvoPwr
02-23-2007, 10:40 AM
meh, thread title.

its ok, just proving no one is perfect...even you :mitsu:

Faust54
02-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Wow. Apparently my Evo IX MR is completely shitty. Why oh why did I trade in my STI for such a POS six speed MR? Why oh why.... :roll:

lol. Sometimes the threads in this place make me want to to give up on performance cars and just buy a Volvo. Actually, threads in any car forum. NASIOC was the same way.

Terenus
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Wow. Apparently my Evo IX MR is completely shitty. Why oh why did I trade in my STI for such a POS six speed MR? Why oh why.... :roll:

lol. Sometimes the threads in this place make me want to to give up on performance cars and just buy a Volvo. Actually, threads in any car forum. NASIOC was the same way.

Nice way to look at cars just by the transmission. You obviously came to conclusion from a tracked MR would have a probability of destroying the 4th gear to "Evo IX MR is completely shitty".

leaveit2bevo
02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
your volvo is waiting.

Faust54
02-23-2007, 03:24 PM

Nice way to look at cars just by the transmission. You obviously came to conclusion from a tracked MR would have a probability of destroying the 4th gear to "Evo IX MR is completely shitty".

Wrong- I was being sarcastic based on the "6 speed is a pile" comment. I love my MR. I thought Sarcasm was the life's blood of this place?

fusionchicken
02-25-2007, 01:39 AM
sarcasm is extremely hard, next to impossible actually, to detect on the internet....;)

LiquidLife
03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
especially because it is the "Life's blood" of this place. :D

Evo8urv8
03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
if the 5spd was so great... why would shepard make a better one?

To handle more power and abuse, especially if u plan to drag or road race O0

Evo8urv8
03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Also, if u guys think that the 6-speed is not a pile, ask Warttalon and see what he has to say :uglystupid2:

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
if the 5spd was so great... why would shepard make a better one?

To handle more power and abuse, especially if u plan to drag or road race O0

That was the point, he was showing that even the 5 spd needs to be rebuilt for road racing and drag racing.

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Also, if u guys think that the 6-speed is not a pile, ask Warttalon and see what he has to say :uglystupid2:

Again, you don't state the facts...what does he do with his car? how much power is he putting down? stop stating shit unless you explain why it is a pile :idiot2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

Evo8urv8
03-06-2007, 05:27 PM

Again, you don't state the facts...what does he do with his car? how much power is he putting down? stop stating shit unless you explain why it is a pile :idiot2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

He does a lot of road racing and some drag racing. I forgot how much power he's putting down and whats his mods. Why dont go more often to EVOM and find out? Happy now? O0

earlyapex
03-06-2007, 05:31 PM
He does a lot of road racing and some drag racing. I forgot how much power he's putting down and whats his mods. Why dont go more often to EVOM and find out? Happy now? O0

He puts down less than my personal evo. He has stock cams, etc still.

Evo8urv8
03-06-2007, 05:34 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=221365&highlight=speed

Oh really? I thought hes putting out some good power and I thought he got some meth/alky too? Cant remember his mods :-o

trinydex
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
why would i have to ask him? my friend here in real life already broke his and documented it...

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 05:39 PM

BECAUSE THIS IS SCE!!!! NOT EVOM!!!!! He is running an 11 sec 1/4 mile. His car is quick, now quit calling the fucking 6 spd a pile unless you say why. It is just liek stating the Evo is crap for racing.....use your points to back it up not a generalization.

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 05:39 PM

But, he is quick, I know he runs high octane...or used to.

Evo8urv8
03-06-2007, 05:43 PM

BECAUSE THIS IS SCE!!!! NOT EVOM!!!!! He is running an 11 sec 1/4 mile. His car is quick, now quit calling the fucking 6 spd a pile unless you say why. It is just liek stating the Evo is crap for racing.....use your points to back it up not a generalization.

Ok, Ill think about it

Here's some points: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=221365&highlight=speed
(Couldnt care less if it's Evom since both are about evos)

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 05:45 PM
yea your point is the 6 spd isnt great stock for racing...but is great for daily driving...wow, that would make a lot more sense than your original the 6 spd is a pile...that is just an ignorant statement.

earlyapex
03-06-2007, 06:02 PM
he is not running 11 sec.

I run high octane too, and make more power with more mods. Not really the point, the point is he is making less power and broke the 6spd just like I did. He has since swapped to a 5spd.

I had data and real life experience earlier in this thread about the 6spd but I guess it was pushed aside for somebodies ego.

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
he is not running 11 sec.

I run high octane too, and make more power with more mods. Not really the point, the point is he is making less power and broke the 6spd just like I did. He has since swapped to a 5spd.

I had data and real life experience earlier in this thread about the 6spd but I guess it was pushed aside for somebodies ego.

Not really, I wasn't talking to you, I was speaking to the latest person who opened their mouth and just stated "the 6 spd is a pile" with no explanation. I know he ran a 12.000 sec 1/4 mile awhile back, he hasn't improved his time?

earlyapex
03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Not really, I wasn't talking to you, I was speaking to the latest person who opened their mouth and just stated "the 6 spd is a pile" with no explanation. I know he ran a 12.000 sec 1/4 mile awhile back, he hasn't improved his time?

No he moved to high altitude and is running slower for now.

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 06:10 PM

No he moved to high altitude and is running slower for now.

Ah that explains it, you hear anything from MR_Scott?

earlyapex
03-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Ah that explains it, you hear anything from MR_Scott?

He has a 5spd swap now after going through another 6spd.

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Now his car was quick last I saw he was in the high 10s. making over 400 whp on c16 i believe. all this on stock turbo. did he upgrade his turbo yet?

earlyapex
03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Now his car was quick last I saw he was in the high 10s. making over 400 whp on c16 i believe. all this on stock turbo. did he upgrade his turbo yet?

That was on a evo 9 turbo with pump gas + meth.

Where do you get all your info from??

EvoPwr
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM

That was on a evo 9 turbo with pump gas + meth.

Where do you get all your info from??

An old forum, used to see them post a lot.

EVO Neil
03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Again you guys that are stating the 6-speed is a pile are making more power than stock and/or racing it. It's just plain ignoranat to make a statement like that without qualifying it. For a daily driven street car, it's fine.

earlyapex
03-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Again you guys that are stating the 6-speed is a pile are making more power than stock and/or racing it. It's just plain ignoranat to make a statement like that without qualifying it. For a daily driven street car, it's fine.

Where am I not qualifying it? I stated it broke on the track, I have more power, it was from heat, showed photos, referenced transmission rebuilders to call if you really want loads of technical facts, brought up other people that broke their 6spds with more power, on track, and the same 4th gear teeth failure.

Where did I not qualify it. Do not call me ignorant when I explained and qualified everything I said.

EV0ll
03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Again you guys that are stating the 6-speed is a pile are making more power than stock and/or racing it. It's just plain ignorant to make a statement like that without qualifying it. For a daily driven street car, it's fine.

Do you even know the meaning of "ignorant"? It's proper use in a sentence...

Have you heard of that popular saying "pot calling the kettle black"? I ask because if you bothered to check and use resources, and read posts in this thread and URLs provided, there should be enough evidence showing that the 6spd MR transmission is not all that. Which means, you are the one who is coming off as "ignorant".

Reading comprehension FTW

-Jason

EVO Neil
03-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Where am I not qualifying it? I stated it broke on the track, I have more power, it was from heat, showed photos, referenced transmission rebuilders to call if you really want loads of technical facts, brought up other people that broke their 6spds with more power, on track, and the same 4th gear teeth failure.

Where did I not qualify it. Do not call me ignorant when I explained and qualified everything I said.

earlyapex, you are about the only guy on this thread who has clearly explained his point and with photos to boot. but that doesn't mean that others chiming in are qualifying their comments. Most are making very general statements. Yes, on the track it doesn't appear to hold up to well. And, yes I've read the evolutionm thread, but neither is the five-speed, it's just offers more longevity before it breaks and is generally cheaper to repair. But none of that makes it a "pile" to those of us who strictly use it on a daily-driven street machine and have had zero problems. Maybe this thread should be retitled to state, 5-speed vs. 6-speed on the track.

EVO Neil
03-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Again you guys that are stating the 6-speed is a pile are making more power than stock and/or racing it. It's just plain ignorant to make a statement like that without qualifying it. For a daily driven street car, it's fine.

Have you heard of that popular saying "pot calling the kettle black"? I ask because if you bothered to check and use resources, and read posts in this thread and URLs provided, there should be enough evidence showing that the 6spd MR transmission is not all that. Which means, you are the one who is coming off as "ignorant".

-Jason

Clearly you haven't read my earlier posts...you make one post in this 6-page thread and it's a personal attack. Nice!

PaleHorse
03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyone have any comments from UK FQ-XXX owners?

I am very interested because all FQ's have a 6-speed and higher hp numbers.

Track ANY car and you are bound to be replacing/fixing/breaking(LOL) something.

trinydex
03-06-2007, 09:03 PM
who cares about the uk fqs. those cars are stupid. higher horsepower so what... none of them are makin' as much as what earlyapex's car is makin' on 100.

i agree wtih the latter statement. no such thing as reliability, only maintenence intervals.

EV0ll
03-06-2007, 09:11 PM

-Jason

Clearly you haven't read my earlier posts...you make one post in this 6-page thread and it's a personal attack. Nice!

Sorry, you were starting to sound like this guy: http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg6962069#msg6962069 ;)

Maybe this thread should be retitled to state, 5-speed vs. 6-speed on the track.

Nah, like you mentioned earlier, people just need to clarify what their use and/or expectations are of the transmission. The original poster posed a question that pretty much left it all up in the air. Might help if the original post said something like "what are the benefits of the 6sp vs the 5sp in terms of..." etc.

-Jason

EVO Neil
03-07-2007, 07:31 AM
who cares about the uk fqs. those cars are stupid. higher horsepower so what... none of them are makin' as much as what earlyapex's car is makin' on 100.

i agree wtih the latter statement. no such thing as reliability, only maintenence intervals.

Sorry trinyDeX, but I highly disagree with you on this. I'd like to know how the supposed higher "stock" horsepower 6-speed equipped FQ's are holding up to the additional power for street use. Most of us that have been into Evo's since they arrived here in 2003 had heard the rumors that the 6-speed had some issues, but no one has posted direct information from any UK owners.

tanK
03-07-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.lancerregister.com/forumdisplay.php?s=8cf850ec64ea1034ae62e511f40e0f4 7&forumid=4

Theres talk about the 6 speeds here and there, but nothing like what USDM 6spds are experiencing. Could it be possible that its AYC contributing to longevity? I'm no pro on the topic just throwing out ideas. Also, it seems that a lot of UK owners are swapping out to "RS" differentials and getting rid of AYC (so its like the USDM evolutions)

tanK
03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
How much power through a 6 speed...
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=8cf850ec64ea1034ae62e511f40e0f47&threadid=143229

MR gearbox warranty
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=8cf850ec64ea1034ae62e511f40e0f47&threadid=140001&highlight=gearbox+failure

Input shaft bearings prematurely worn ( 5 & 6 mostly though)
http://www.lancerregister.com/faq_f06.php

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=8cf850ec64ea1034ae62e511f40e0f47&threadid=70649&highlight=gearbox