PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem

Huntington 06MR
01-30-2007, 10:49 PM
okay so i'm not sure if this is the right section for this post but....

my buddy took in his evo (06 MR....less than a year old) to get an oil change.

they tell him that his tranny is bad (roughly 15k miles on the car)

he says alright thats fine. put one in, its under my warranty. they tell him "we can't do that because you changed out your clutch" and my friends like what the hell are you talking about its the stock clutch...

they argue about it for a while and right now they have his car...he told me he'd give me more info but right now they have his car and hes unsure when their giving him his car back and whats going on.

can anyone tell me whats the deal? he has up pipe,downpipe and catless exhaust on it....but that has nothing to do with the clutch. and isnt there a law stating that they have to have proof that he switched out the clutch and that it was the clutch that damaged the transmission? he doesn't do clutch dumps either so i know its not from that.

anyone have any ideas and what he can say/do, or what the dealership has to do?

EvoPwr
01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
It has everythign to do with the clutch, exhaust = more hp = more strain on clutch...dont ge me wrong i think something is fishy...btw what is an up pipe?

Evolution22plus1
01-30-2007, 10:56 PM
I had the same problem but mine was a aftermarket clutch from RRE and they still fixed my synchro but only after Mike from RRE went to school them (HB Mitsu)...if its a stock clutch he has nothing to worry about, the stock clutch has a Mitsu logo or something of that sort, but not im not sure if its on the clutch itself...if they give him shit tell them to grab a new clutch from there stock and compare it to the one on the car, but tell your friend to be there when they compare. The dealer is just trying to take his money as most of us evo owners have encountered...but having those aftermarkets parts on the car during the oil change wasnt a good idea...tell him to go to RRE or another evo shop next time if he doesnt wanna do it himself, i could even show him how to do it....

Huntington 06MR
01-30-2007, 11:00 PM
It has everythign to do with the clutch, exhaust = more hp = more strain on clutch...dont ge me wrong i think something is fishy...btw what is an up pipe?

its the piping between the header/collector and turbo

j_nizzle
01-30-2007, 11:16 PM

o2 housing = up pipe, i think....

EvoPwr
01-30-2007, 11:34 PM

o2 housing = up pipe, i think....

thats what i am thinking..i know a subie has an up pipe.

BUDLoNG
01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
what dealership?
BUDLoNG

kimletrim
01-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, what dealership is this?

bash
01-31-2007, 02:39 PM
YEH, well he said catless downpipe so thats def subie terms, i know evos have catless downpipes but subies that is wayyy more common then a cat delete, but if he took car into dealer without a cat he is shit out of luck, talked to the owner of south coast the other day and he said hey were not out to get anyone but if you bring your car here with no cat our hands are tied!

Huntington 06MR
01-31-2007, 03:37 PM
its the Cerritos Mitsubishi i think

05EvoLan8
01-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I believe that dealer isn't a Mitsubishi dealer only, I believe that they are under Suzuki/Isuzu name but they do sell some Mitsus there. I bought my Evo from there 1 1/2 yr ago, and looking back on it, I do regret it. Of course that was before I knew about Socalevo, had I known I'd probably would have gone to either South Coast or HB. But anyway, I'm also a little skeptical on their service. I went in to get a 10,000 mile check-up and they took 3 hrs to do a oil change and top off my fluids and thats having an appointment. But back to the subject, I think that using the mods as an excuse not to fix it is stretching it a bit. Unless they can prove that he indeed had an aftermarket clutch in there. I'm on the same boat as far as thinking there might be something wrong with my tranny but I'm really re-considering going to that dealership. anyways, keep us posted on what happens.

Huntington 06MR
02-01-2007, 07:16 PM
well they were supposed to let him know yesterday by 3 oclock. then they told him 12:30 today and now hes supposed to call sometime around 6. so we'll find out soon.

evotistic
02-02-2007, 02:51 PM
South Coast mitsu fixed my MR tranny under warranty, but only after i removed ALL my aftermarket parts(minus the clutch, which is an ACT). The replaced the tranny under warranty, but then informed me all of a sudden that my clutch was bad too. I was suprised, since my clutch is only a year old, and it was fine when i dropped it off. Just be wary of the dealerships. South Coast and HB are pretty good, not sure about the other ones. I'm still waiting on South Coast to fix my clutch....Good luck with your tranny issue.....

Huntington 06MR
02-02-2007, 02:55 PM
UPDATE:

okay so he took the car to South Coast Mitsubishi for an oil change. He said gimme a oil change and take a look at everything else to see if its fine or running low. They called him back and told him he needed a new tranny and its not under warranty because he changed out the stock clutch. he went down there and they had the clutch taken out already and said the clutch only had 200miles on it. He made a big deal out of it because its the same clutch that came with the car. Â*He told them it can't have only 200miles on it because he also just drove to San Fran the other weekend. Â*They told him its a Mitsubishi clutch but its a new one that was put in and that it only had 200miles on it and they didn't put fluid or something in it. or in the tranny....something and that theres only two options for him.
1. Pay for a new tranny not being warranted
2. Pay for the new tranny and sell the car back to the dealership for $21,500.

so looks like hes selling it to the dealership cuz theres no way out of this. he doesn't wanna get a lawyer cuz he thinks he would not win this.
He was supposed to sell me the car but unfortunately this happened. and they're gonna put in a new tranny and sell it used but are gonna probably bump the car up to like $28,000 or so.

Anyone wanting to sell me their Evo with less than 30k miles on it let me know.
I'm looking for either a white or black MR. If not i'll settle for the standard Evo. Doesn't matter if its a 9 or an 8. for around $23k. Let me know.

ryan0
02-19-2007, 04:23 PM
this sounds like bs.. who put his clutch in?

a dealer cant make you sell them back the car.. tell them to put it back together and go somewhere else.

Gear Grinder
02-19-2007, 04:29 PM
its the Cerritos Mitsubishi i think
I would never take my car there. When they first opened after Browning Mits closed, I went in to their service department, and asked what they would do if someone brought in a modified Evo, and the guy said they would report it to corporate right away.

gen4k20a2
02-19-2007, 04:32 PM
wait waht the hell...the car was at cerritos then at SC? Someone F'ed the car up at cerritos then you took it SC to get fixed?!??! this story isnt making sense to me

Gear Grinder
02-19-2007, 04:34 PM
This thread pretty much tells me that if I need any kind of service (even if all these dealers have free oil changes), I'm taking my car to RRE.