PDA

View Full Version : Launch Control?

FastForward
02-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey guys I had a question? I read somewhere before (can't remember where) about the option of getting launch control when getting a custom tune. Does anybody have this feature or know anything about this? Thanks

ultraflip
02-13-2007, 12:27 AM
it's plausible via flash if you're retaining stock ecu... (if you have ems.. well.. that's a different story...)...

guessing that you have an evo 8 (2k4 or earlier)... this setting is set to like 7986 or something... basically null and voiding the use of it as rev limit is at 7650...

the tuner (or yourself) can change the stationary rev limit to whatever you desire and flash your car w/ that setting..

regards
flip

EvolvedMCC
02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
i have it but i haven't even used it yet. wtf!!! =P

FastForward
02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
I have an IX, would that matter?

ultraflip
02-13-2007, 12:30 AM
you should have launch control already enabled...

push clutch down... rev... it should stop around 5krpm

FastForward
02-13-2007, 12:32 AM
I know about the limiter in the IX's, but I was under the impression that with launch control you can launch at a lower boost setting and then build up boost as you go. This would be good for the tranny.

ultraflip
02-13-2007, 12:35 AM
dont think launching is good for your tranny one way or another...

but as far as stock settings are concern.. it boosts about 1 bar... maybe a bit less... and shoots up to wherever you have your boost set to when you actually launch and allow full load on the unit

FastForward
02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I was just thinking it would ease the "pain" to the tranny from launching period. so yay or nay for launch control. The main reason that i ask is because I'm getting tuned very soon at RRE.

ultraflip
02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
best bet is to ask RRE on that...

my personal experiences... launching is just harsh on the tranny, transfercase and clutch... (mainly clutch)...

best is to avoid launching...

the upside to it... is that you can get some killer 60' times at the drag strip using it... or impress your ricer friends at street races.. *shrugs*

FastForward
02-13-2007, 12:45 AM
sorry no "ricer" friends here. but thanks for your input.

trinydex
02-13-2007, 01:52 PM
I was just thinking it would ease the "pain" to the tranny from launching period. so yay or nay for launch control. The main reason that i ask is because I'm getting tuned very soon at RRE.
there is no way to do such a thing unless you use aem ems. the ecu only carries one map at a time wtih no fly by map changing or switching logic.

in order to have a pussy boost profile for laucnhing (which makes little sense to me) you'd have to have a launch map with the conditional that the clutch is pushed in and only when in 1st gear as you wouldn't want to have it affect the boost in the same way in higher gears (where ecu style launch control will affect things whenever you have the clutch in if i'm not mistaken)

just don't do this... either learn to launch or just don't launch...

Jap_WHiP
02-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Launch Control, blah...blah... :buck2:

Let's get to more important things, like, God Damn your sister is hot (I'm praying that it's your sis and not your girl)... :roll: hahah... wow...

Smoking hot man, nice work!... O0

FastForward
02-15-2007, 10:13 AM
sister? the girl in my pic? thats my girlfriend lol.

JOOTZ
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Launch control refers to an electronic device that is used to assist a Formula 1 driver in the very moment of the start of a race. Launch control also refers to an electronic setting on many modern sports sedans and coupes that let the driver take off from the line at a certain high speed without the wheels spinning much. popular cars with launch control include the BMW M series and certain Volkswagens.

JOOTZ
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
This device combines the effort of an electronic-driven accelerator and a computer program in the car. The software drives the accelerator according to engine specifications to make the car accelerate smoothly and as fast as possible, avoiding spinning of the drive wheels, engine failure due to over-revving and clutch and gearbox problems. This feature is only available at the start of the race, when the car is stopped in the starting grid. After the car is running at a certain speed, this device stops its work.

JOOTZ
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
In high-performance racing vehicles, the driver has a very small threshold when it comes to acceleration. High power delivered by the engine to the gearbox and driven wheels can not be easily managed even by the most experienced drivers.
Facing this issue, and with the growing development of electronics during the 1980s, led to the introduction of this type of software.

JOOTZ
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
In 1985, Renault's RE60 F1 car had a device that hosted a diskette which stored information inside and was unloaded at the pits, giving the engineers detailed data about the cars' behavior.
Later on, telemetry allowed the data to be sent by a radio connection between the pits and the car. The increase of electronic-driven devices on the car allowed the engineers to modify the settings of certain parameters on the car while it was on the track, this being called bi-directional telemetry.
Among the electronic driving aids there were semi-automatic transmission, ABS, traction control and active suspension. The pinnacle of the automated driving aids was achieved by Williams F1 team on its 1993 FW15C model, which featured them all. This rising trend was put to a halt by the FIA by outlawing them for the 1994 season, considering the fact that it took too much work out of the drivers' hands. Also bi-directional telemetry was forbidden, which was soon reinstated as the FIA found it too hard to analyze the engine programs in order to search for hidden code that could be found breaking the rules.
Fully automatic transmission and launch control were allowed again from the Spanish GP 2001 onwards, but as of 2004 those are forbidden for the sake of budget reduction of F1 teams.

trinydex
02-15-2007, 10:35 AM
isn't that what i said hahahaha

but jootz speaks da troof. launch control stops after 1st gear dead stop... which is why i don't suggest pursuing it as most good launch controls grab control of the throttle as their main means of traction and drivetrain preservation control.

i say... experiment lightly and learn how to launch full tilt without damaging things. this is possible and is part of the 'skill' in drag racing.

JOOTZ
02-15-2007, 10:38 AM
All good things come to an end sooner or later. So has the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution series. This is not to say that the latest addition to the series, the Evolution VII, is a bad car but rather that it lost most part of its inherent nature. Previous models were mere excuses to get the FIA homologation in GroupA. Even so more than 150,000 Lancer Evolutions (I through to VI including the 6.5 Tommi Mäkinen edition) were sold from 1992 to 2001.

An amazing success given the awkwardness of these cars when used as everyday transport. Most examples were sold in the Asia Pacific region and very few made their way to other countries, most mainly in Europe while none was sold in North America (Emission Control Regulations again). Mitsubishi are now planning to produce more than 30000 examples of the Evolution VII!

The latest Mitsubishi representative in the World Rally Championship is now a WRC Class car rather than a GroupA Class one. The move from one class of competition car to the other frees the manufacturer's hands from having to produce the 2500 required homologation cars that must carry the racing car's arsenal even if it is unused/disconnected. So how does that affect the commercial version? Well the influence of the change in homologation class can be both felt and measured in the Evolution VII. For the latter one might note that performance figures are worse than they were in the previous version. Half a second is lost in 0-100km/h times (now 5.6 seconds) and a whole 1.4 seconds in the 1000m from a standing start (now 25,8 seconds). The new figures bring the Evolution VII out of the super-car territory. What has affected performance? The answer is twofold:

A significant rise in the car's weight, more than 50kg were added compared to the previous version

The Mitsubishi engineers targeted more the adherence to stringent Emission Control figures and driveability than sheer performance when designing the latest engine version and its electronic management

When adding to the facts above that the car's overall dimensions and, consequently, its inertia and aerodynamic figures have been raised one can easily realize why the Evolution VII is not the absolute point to point car anymore. It still is a very fast and capable car but when compared, side by side, to the Evolution VI and its predecessors the changes, both dynamic and static are shocking. You can access the complete car's specification here.

The new Lancer is based on the Mitsubishi Cedia family sedan rather than on the Lancer series. This fact alone has taken away most of its aggressiveness. Some parts of its body (bonnet and front arches) are still made out of aluminum as are most of its suspension components, carried over from the previous version for their majority. This however does not manage to bring the overall weight down to more reasonable levels.

The engine is mainly the same save for the hollow camshafts and magnesium camshaft cover. The Lance Evos carry the same engine code since 1992 i.e. 4G63

JOOTZ
02-15-2007, 10:42 AM
These engines went through several mutations over the years but kept their architecture and extreme output unaltered. The 4G63 engine is a long stroke engine (i.e. bore is smaller than stroke) thus favoring torque over high-rev output. Mitsubishi chose to use a relatively high compression ratio, for a turbocharged engine, 8.8:1, and has therefore limited the maximum boost pressure allowed to a value lower than 1.5 bar in order to avoid detonation. The high compression ratio is an interesting and relatively innovative approach as these engines tend to be more responsive off boost than other turbocharged engines using the more classic 8:1 or lower compression ratio. In racing spec however the compression ratio used is lower than in commercial guise as in this situation off boost performance is not part of the blueprint. In competition guise the Lancer Evolution VII WRC reaches a maximum turbo pressure of 1.9 bar. Note that the turbo inlet (nozzle) area has had its diameter reduced from 105mm in previous versions to 98mm in order to favor low end response rather than high rev output. The turbo compressor wheel diameter is unchanged at 68mm.
Overall the engine's output remains unchanged at 280bhp (the Japanese legal limit) while torque gains 1kgm and now reaches 39kgm but a whole 900rpm higher than the previous version.

JOOTZ
02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Mitsubishi states that the Evolution VII chassis is 50% more rigid than that of the Evolution VI. Given the 50kg weight rise that's the least Mitsubishi engineers could do. Chassis rigidity is the number one factor in any car's handling abilities and the Mitsubishi numbers are more than encouraging regarding their latest creation. Previous Evo versions already displayed extremely reinforced and rigid bodies but this time the increase in the car's size required a redesign of chassis reinforcements and the numerous new welding points were accompanied by partly seam welded steel sheets just like in full works race cars.

The new car's transmission is were most of the changes took place. The fully equipped GSR/RS-2 version sports a TorSen front and an Active Yaw Control rear differential as previously but the center differential is now an "active" ACD differential that varies its locking characteristic according to inputs from accelerometers and other sensors. One typical "active" strategy it applies is to stiffen its locking when the car starts negotiating a corner (the braking phase) allowing for maximum deceleration, loosen the locking to negotiate the turn-in phase, stiffen a bit mid-corner allowing more torque to the rear in order to turn more easily and stiffen even more while exiting the corner to provide the maximum grip and acceleration. Well, that is the theory and it is applicable in situations such as track courses where the road surface is even and no major denivelation is present. The problem is that the Lancer is not a track car but rather a rally car. In rallying most of the racing takes place on uneven road surfaces and extremely important denivelations. How do these electronic aids cope with such terrain? Generally badly. Then why are similar systems mounted on works cars you might ask? The answer to this question is that works rally cars are equipped wiht far better and much more evolved systems costing the twice the price of the road-going version of the Lancer Evo VII and these systems are adjustable to fit the driver's needs and the terrain requirements. Unfortunately no empirical solution can be applied and this is the main reason why the presence of such systems is more than questionable in the road-going Lancer Evo.
Note that similar locking characteristic can be achieved through purely mechanical differentials such as the TorSen or more classic disc-based Limited Slip Differentials. We here at rallycars.com are very unfriendly to whatever is electronic and is used as a commercial argument quoting abilities to "help" a car's handling. We feel there's nothing a car can do on its own that its driver can't. We find that the ACD differential has set the Evolution VII to standards that undermine its character and the driver's feel of the car. The single advantage of the ACD differential is the fact that it disconnects the rear axle when the hand brake is pulled. Further proof of the ACD differential's counter performance is the fact that it is replaced by a classic disc-based LSD in GroupN guise.
The gearbox uses new ratios for 1st and 5th gears in the GSR/RS-2 version and super-close ratios in the RS version. The gear material has been improved and so have the gearbox bearings.

The new car's brakes remain unchanged as their performance is satisfactory. Tire size went up a bit to 235/45x17" but the steering ratio is still the very quick 2.2 turns from lock to lock.

Where significant progress has been achieved, compared to the previous Evo, is in the domain of suspension travel. In this field the Evo VI was suffering from too low figures, 163mm front and 160mm rear suspension travel was insufficient to avoid bottoming the suspension without using stiffer than necessary dampers. The new car has added 45mm front and rear travel to the figures above while its ride height has been lowered. The numbers apply to a GroupN , tarmac spec car. A noteworthy step forward.

Overall Mitsubishi offer a commercial package that is more civilized and politically correct than previous versions. The car's look is far less aggressive and its everyday use rendered more realistic than ever before. Of course this new world order leads to a compromise in performance that brings the Evolution VII closer, in performance terms, to BMW and Audi cars than to its predecessors.

The competition car is, as already stated, is a WRC Class car. This class' regulations effectively allow extensive modification of the race version that do not have to be present on the commercial vehicle. However the new car's size is almost the biggest among all WRC cars. Only the Skoda Octavia WRC is longer and the Evolution VII has the longest wheelbase of all the contenders. That big a wheelbase, more than 2600mm, is a warrant of high speed stability but renders the car unwilling to engage in corners. Such a character can, of course, be moderated by the use of active differentials and the appropriate suspension geometry and settings but wouldn't it have been better to start from a healthy base rather than trying to correct the inherent faults of the current one through tricks? The Evo VII was still in its early development stages in the beginning of the 2002 season so it has yet to display its real potential and we trust Mitsubishi did everything in their power to make it competitive against other cars of its class. The car was driven during the 2002 season by the very experienced François Delecour and young Alister McRae. Unfortunately Mitsubishi's financial situation undermined the drivers and engineers efforts. After an awful and unsuccessful 2002 season the company decided to retire from the 2003 WRC in hope of developing a more competitive car.

Boosted
02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
I have launch control on my car, its flashed onto my ecu so that in first gear with the clutch dissengaged and the throttle floored the engine will be rev limited to 6,000 RPM. It will also hold at 10Psi of boost. then the moment the car begins to move the rev limiter is disengaged allowing revving to 7200 uninterrupted rpm and 21psi of boost its great though I never ever use it

GSX2EVO
06-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Has anyone tried using launch control on the track? I have an 05 Evo so it came with it and was wondering how to properly use it.

Pops
06-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Jootz, did you write that all by yourself, or is there a footnote? LOL

Fast Forward. DO NOT RUN LAUNCH CONTROL IF YOU HAVE A CAT. IT WILL BREAK IT INTO PIECES and clog your exhaust flow. That being said, if you have a rally cat/race cat, it's something RRE/Dr. Gray can program in if you have an AEM EMS and you only use it when you want.

It's great for scaring kids or if someone is about to car-jack you. It sounds like an automatic weapon. Also another way to honk I suppose....

atlvalet
06-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey Brett, why will it break the cat? Just wondering...

So, I assume a metal race cat is ok to use with launch control?

Pops
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey Brett, why will it break the cat? Just wondering...

So, I assume a metal race cat is ok to use with launch control?

The cat is very brittle and the launch control is forming an explosive event in the exhaust line, outside of the combustion chamber.

Your right foot is at 100 percent full throttle, the clutch is pushed in, boost is at 10+ psi and pushing 3 or 4 fire balls a second through the exhaust system. There is a lot of vibration and pressure change.

I found out the hardway when the car wouldn't boost over 18 PSI after I used it the first time. We pulled the cat and sure enough, it was broken to bits.

Mike W. had me call the company that distrubutes the metal cats. I don't recall the name, but they said don't use a cat - even their metal one - with launch control. It will break.

earlyapex
06-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Pops, this with proper launch control with a AEM EMS right?

I don't see the stock 'launch control' capable of doing this type of damage since it doesn't turn the exhaust into a flame thrower like 'proper' launch control can do.

Pops
06-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Pops, this with proper launch control with a AEM EMS right?

I don't see the stock 'launch control' capable of doing this type of damage since it doesn't turn the exhaust into a flame thrower like 'proper' launch control can do.

Yes, my experience is with the AEM.

My understanding of the control you are talking about is just a rev limiter for 1st gear, so it's harder to beat up on the car. I don't think stock spools the turbo.

Granny Shifter
06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
hey jootz. where did you get this article from?

earlyapex
06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes, my experience is with the AEM.

My understanding of the control you are talking about is just a rev limiter for 1st gear, so it's harder to beat up on the car. I don't think stock spools the turbo.

it does, about 7-10psi depending on mods but yes the AEM is proper launch control. :)

evo05
07-15-2007, 11:41 AM
i have on my evo and that shit is nice when your on the track other people get sorry lanch and you get goods.....nice get it

JDMboi
11-22-2007, 01:41 AM
word my mr9 has it toooo ^^^^^^^bump for donald