PDA

View Full Version : Lent...what are you giving up?

j_nizzle
02-20-2007, 04:17 PM
hey everyone.

neither my gf and i are Catholic, but this year, since a lot of our friends and some family members are participating, we decided to try out giving something of value up for 40 days.

she is giving up soda and dessert because she always orders it and she wants to live/eat healthier...

i, am giving up SoCalEvo because im on here too much anyway and im not a MOD yet... O0

so for the next 40 days(unless i crack), you wont see my posts. and i will be logging myself off. if you need to contact me for any reason, feel free to call if you have my number or email. i will not be responding to pm's or posts here. i figure with all the drama/mindless n00bs here, that a good long break from the boards is necessary/might be good for me. feel free to post here what you are giving up also. i know it seems stupid to do this given im not religious in most ways, but i figure it's worth a shot and im not in it alone. so i hope everyone has fun without me.

-the nizzle

EVOMANIAC
02-20-2007, 04:19 PM
You wont make it. SoCalEvo is like crack once you try it you cant quit.

j_nizzle
02-20-2007, 04:20 PM
lol...i got 8 hours + left before i start.

x[corwyn]
02-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm giving up this here gum wrapper.... yup. I put it in the trash. Not gonna touch it for AT LEAST 30 days.

Jnizzle poker party soon if you are down. Since you wont be on here (nod nod, wink wink) let myself or Rich know if you are down.

j_nizzle
02-20-2007, 04:47 PM
im not much of a gambler...but im willing to chill

RPD_FKTARD
02-20-2007, 05:05 PM
we'll resume the hot ass jdm chick thread once you're out.

Macky
02-20-2007, 05:20 PM
eating unhealthy food. usually the ones that are bad for you taste great. my cholesterol level is probably sky high so i guess its a good thing to try this lent.

EvoPwr
02-20-2007, 05:42 PM
i am giving up taking advantage of j_nizzle for 40 days...flip will take his place O0

j_nizzle
02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
i am giving up taking advantage of j_nizzle for 40 days...flip will take his place O0

meh...i should add that i will stop taking advantage of your mom too.

Terry S
02-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Catholic practices are satanic and blasphemous. Screw that.

Terry S

Ricardon
02-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Terry S

Regardless of your religious beliefs, every once in awhile a fast is actually a very good thing for focus. Ever try it Terry? Depriving yourself of something you are used to, or is very common in your day to day? It does'nt have to be a means to quit a habbit and it does'nt have to be a bad thing. Try not driving your EVO for 40 days. After that 40 days is up, the first time you start that key will more than likely be as good or better than the first time you turned the key. That's a good thing methinks.

For me...I'm giving up masturbation. No, nevermind, no I'm not.

Let me think about this one for a bit and I'll get back to you guys. rofl

Oh yeah, the original reason why I posted. Nizzle I'm glad to see you go dude. No seriously. Hope after the 40 days you decide to stay away too. There are other, better ways to contact your friends here, than to wade through a whole bunch of BS to do so. PM your phone number to me just in case you don't come back lol. This place is a joke now, and to be honest I'm not sure why any of us older members are still here since we have everyone's numbers hahaha.

Terenus
02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I know your kryptonite.

j_nizzle
02-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I know your kryptonite.

who are you talking to?

Terenus
02-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I know your kryptonite.

who are you talking to?

You!

j_nizzle
02-20-2007, 10:49 PM
free food and free car parts...that's about it...unless it's something that is similar in color to "kryptonite" but makes me "stronger"

j_nizzle
02-20-2007, 11:48 PM
clocking out everyone! have a good one!

Terry S
02-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Regardless of your religious beliefs, every once in awhile a fast is actually a very good thing for focus. Ever try it Terry? Depriving yourself of something you are used to, or is very common in your day to day? It does'nt have to be a means to quit a habbit and it does'nt have to be a bad thing. Try not driving your EVO for 40 days. After that 40 days is up, the first time you start that key will more than likely be as good or better than the first time you turned the key. That's a good thing methinks.

I've given up coffee for over 40 days (several times), soda, friends, family, the internet (for over 3 months voluntarily), console video games, masturbating (yep, i've intentionally gone 6 months without it)... um... those are the ones I can honestly remember, but i'm sure there's more.

What I was saying in my previous post was gay though was that to do it in the name of Catholicism is wrong. You do it when its honestly needed, not once a year just because some gay homosexual child molester tells you to.

Terry S

leaveit2bevo
02-21-2007, 01:04 PM

masturbating (yep, i've intentionally gone 6 months without it)... um... those are the ones I can honestly remember, but i'm sure there's more.

your sick 6 months its just not right.

RPD_FKTARD
02-21-2007, 01:06 PM
well.. instead of masturbating.. he have sex instead

XubIX
02-21-2007, 01:18 PM

Terry S

They believe in Jesus but yet they pray to marry for everything???
They have to go to a priest for confession?? Isnt Jesus above the law?
And since God can see the past,present, and future why would God
"annoint" a man to be a priest if God knows that the same priest is going to molest children.
Makes no sense..... i think this discussion needs a new thread lol....i can go on and on about religion
Since Catholicism was concepted new Â*things have been added that werent originally apart of Original Catholicism. A few of them in our lifetime and our parents. Why?

This link list just a few things
http://www.lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVanswers/2004-04-01.htm

Alot of people dont know shit about their own religion. Most just go because their family makes them. People really need to do a study on their religions.

Ever wonder why their are no bibles in any Churches? Only versus here and their in their hymn books?Ever wonder why? Maybe they dont want you to know the truth?

Dont get me wrong I dont hate Catholics. My family is Catholic (except me) and even my Fiance's family is Catholic. Lucky for me my fiance doesnt believe in anything related to "The Church" and only goes caus her mom makes her which in turn her moms mom makes her go. I even tried having a discussion with her mom about Catholicism and she told me to shut up, but that was only after I asked her Why it was she went to "church" and what she believes in.

Miss Evo8
02-21-2007, 01:26 PM

Terry S

And you forgot corrupt! Im still traumatized from Catholic school and all the "trappings" that came along with it... First communion, confession, uniforms, prayers etc.... :'(

Terry S
02-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Terry S

And you forgot corrupt! Im still traumatized from Catholic school and all the "trappings" that came along with it... First communion, confession, uniforms, prayers etc.... :'(

You went to Catholic school!!???! that explains soooo much! rofls

Terry S

Miss Evo8
02-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Terry S

And you forgot corrupt! Im still traumatized from Catholic school and all the "trappings" that came along with it... First communion, confession, uniforms, prayers etc....Â* :'(

Terry S

Haa Haa I know..... ask Tomas :twisted:

FYI I got kicked out of catacism before....... ROLF my parents where a little pissed to say the least..... :roll:

GokuSSJ4
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM

Terry S

Terry S

ex catholic girls LOL ..... what can you say that ?

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Um, any organized religion is a cult.....think about it.

Ricardon
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I think a lot of people give up doing the stuff that they would like to quit doing anyway. At least that's like 90% the theme I see. People give up smoking, or drinking, or eating fatty foods and soda...shit like that. Fuck people, do it right or don't do it at all. Give up something you REALLY enjoy doing. Give up your favorite thing to do in the world (For Terry he did it right when he gave up masturbating....zing). Give up something that you know it will be difficult to continue after only 3 days into it. That's the point. And it has nothing to do with religion, only because several religions practice this behavior. It's about making yourself a better human being. Discipline, will power. All of this shit helps out in so many other aspects of your life. Example...you won't be so angry when the waitress screws up your order, or that idiot cuts you off on the freeway....that's all the most trivial shit in the world, and i bet most of you get all wrapped up when either of those happen to you right? Try it out, it's actually eye opening if you can start it and finish it!

Terry S
02-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I think a lot of people give up doing the stuff that they would like to quit doing anyway. At least that's like 90% the theme I see. People give up smoking, or drinking, or eating fatty foods and soda...shit like that. Fuck people, do it right or don't do it at all. Give up something you REALLY enjoy doing. Give up your favorite thing to do in the world (For Terry he did it right when he gave up masturbating....zing). Give up something that you know it will be difficult to continue after only 3 days into it. That's the point. And it has nothing to do with religion, only because several religions practice this behavior. It's about making yourself a better human being. Discipline, will power. All of this shit helps out in so many other aspects of your life. Example...you won't be so angry when the waitress screws up your order, or that idiot cuts you off on the freeway....that's all the most trivial shit in the world, and i bet most of you get all wrapped up when either of those happen to you right? Try it out, it's actually eye opening if you can start it and finish it!

Your stating two different things Rich. Giving up a vice for a few weeks to increase willpower is a great idea if you need it (and I DEFINITELY agree the vast heaping majority of people fall into this category). But the whole getting wrapped up over the little things is the EXECUTION of your willpower. One strengthens it, the other uses it.

And seriously, people need to just chill the fuck out. Getting wrapped up over little shit is retarded. BUT more importantly, they need to figure out how to chill the fuck out WITHOUT relying on chemical assistance. If you need something to chill you out, then your intentionally destroying your own willpower.

Terry S (dont do drugs m'kay?)

Ricardon
02-23-2007, 03:17 AM
That's entirely my point Terry. Most things you have to actually use them to strengthen them. It's like lifting weights or running. You've got to exercise your will power every once in awhile to solidify it would'nt you agree?

Terry S
02-23-2007, 09:40 AM
That's entirely my point Terry. Most things you have to actually use them to strengthen them. It's like lifting weights or running. You've got to exercise your will power every once in awhile to solidify it would'nt you agree?

But stopping one thing for 40 days once a year isn't enough "exercise"

Terry S

desertRS
02-23-2007, 10:00 AM

Terry S

hey terry why is it all that you post you are stupid comments ? why dont have some respect for other people religions?

x[corwyn]
02-23-2007, 10:11 AM

Terry S

hey terry why is it all that you post you are stupid comments ? why dont have some respect for other people religions?

I dont think his posts are stupid. I dont think I would go so far as he does against religion but to answer your question, I will give you a question....

why dont religions have some respect for other people?

Terry S
02-23-2007, 10:13 AM

Terry S

because religion is as wrong as anna nicoles sex life.

and if i dont post in a manner familiar to my readers they wouldn't be able to understand me. :)

Terry S

Macky
02-23-2007, 10:15 AM
you better get started on those horses Terry ;)

Terry S
02-23-2007, 10:18 AM

I will when the wifey wakes up.

im tying with baby in hand right now. makes PSing a bit hard... :D

Terry S (AWESOME shots btw. your hired!)

Macky
02-23-2007, 10:19 AM

I will when the wifey wakes up.

im tying with baby in hand right now. makes PSing a bit hard... :D

Terry S (AWESOME shots btw. your hired!)

lol sweet!

and btw, in case you havent read in the other thread, I ripped Rich a new asshole last night hahaha

sgtbadazzwife
02-23-2007, 10:20 AM
nothing i am not catholic

desertRS
02-23-2007, 03:15 PM
]

Terry S

I dont think his posts are stupid. I dont think I would go so far as he does against religion but to answer your question, I will give you a question....

makes no sense, dont have to become a member of a religion?

Faust54
02-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Giving up Religion

One Evo Pinay
02-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I didn't give up anything for Lent, I'm Catholic but not practicing. I gave up Lent for 40 days how bout that lol

x[corwyn]
02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
]

Terry S

There are 3 reasons for wars throughout history. Water, Land, and religion. The first 2 are at least logical and usually lead to some sort of peaceful resolution. Religious wars? Lets look at the middle east on how well thats working out. The crusades?

I really dont give a damn what anyone believes so long as what you believe isnt to force someone to do the same, and/or harm anyone else because of your religion. I will respect anyone's religion and custom when I am with them provided it does no harm to me or others, and its not embarrasing. I'll pray at a table, and show respect. In return I expect my beliefs to be respected and honored as well. Unfortunately respecting other religions isnt part of any religious doctrine I know of.

Ricardon
02-23-2007, 08:56 PM
I didn't give up anything for Lent, I'm Catholic but not practicing.Â* I gave up Lent for 40 days how bout that lol

I was waiting for someone to say this, honestly. Don't take this wrong, but I see a lot of people saying things like this and I have a hard time understanding it. My mother was Catholic when I was born, so I was of course christened Catholic. I went to a Catholic pre-school and Kindergarten. I went to a private school from 1st grade to 4th grade that was owned and principled by a Mormon. I went to Christian school from 5th grade to 8th grade. Then Public High School.

If you don't go to church, or participate in activities that other Catholics do...are you Catholic? How about Jewish people? Is Judaism a race? If a Jewish person decides to convert ot christianity or Islam, do they stop being Jewish? Has religion become a race?

XubIX
02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
]

]

Terry S

There are 3 reasons for wars throughout history. Water, Land, and religion. The first 2 are at least logical and usually lead to some sort of peaceful resolution. Religious wars? Lets look at the middle east on how well thats working out. The crusades?

I really dont give a damn what anyone believes so long as what you believe isnt to force someone to do the same, and/or harm anyone else because of your religion. I will respect anyone's religion and custom when I am with them provided it does no harm to me or others, and its not embarrasing. I'll pray at a table, and show respect. In return I expect my beliefs to be respected and honored as well. Unfortunately respecting other religions isnt part of any religious doctrine I know of.

Can we add Oil to that list lol

Ricardon
02-23-2007, 10:39 PM
God loves oil.

Macky
02-23-2007, 11:30 PM
I give up. there are too many stupid, should-just-run-their-evos-off-a-cliff-with-them-inside, tuff-guy n00bs here. thats what im giving up.

Ricardon
02-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Win.

RPD_FKTARD
02-26-2007, 11:26 AM
i tried to give up looking at my avatar for a week... but failed at 3rd minutes

j_nizzle
03-04-2007, 10:30 PM
i quit. lent is the sux0rs...my gf gave her end up after 9 days.

Ricardon
03-05-2007, 02:13 AM
wow.

j_nizzle
03-05-2007, 09:15 AM
wow.

sorry rich...i still need to sell my system and pwn5 the n00bs...

x[corwyn]
03-05-2007, 09:52 AM
]

]

Terry S

Can we add Oil to that list lol

I said exactly that in class. The teacher put me back in my place.... It falls under the general heading of "land".

No cookie for you.

x[corwyn]
03-05-2007, 09:53 AM
i quit. lent is the sux0rs...my gf gave her end up after 9 days.

I quit before I started. I'm too lazy to look up what this lent business is, and why people for religoius reasons feel the need to give something up. Is it a sacrifice to the gods? Whatever happened to altars with burning goats and virgin women. Progress sure sucks sometimes.

Bueller
03-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Hmm...what can i possibly give up for 40 days? :roll:

Blk Mivo IX
03-05-2007, 10:34 PM

flaming and pwning noobs

Bueller
03-06-2007, 07:24 AM

flaming and pwning noobs

NEVA! :twisted:

Blk Mivo IX
03-06-2007, 08:47 PM

flaming and pwning noobs

NEVA! :twisted:

hahahahahah

EvoPwr
03-10-2007, 06:29 PM
my gf gave her end up after 9 days.

I will be very polite and leave this one alone....wayyyyy too easy.

j_nizzle
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
my gf gave her end up after 9 days.

I will be very polite and leave this one alone....wayyyyy too easy.

thanks mike. im glad someone on this forum knows where to draw the line. a lot more than what i can say about 99% on this forum

*disclaimer* if anyone decides to run with the joke, be prepared for whatever may come your way.

Boosted
03-17-2007, 09:30 AM
my girlfriend gave up sugar I gave up math

Blk Mivo IX
03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
my girlfriend gave up sugar I gave up math

how did u give up math?

nicklulu
03-17-2007, 12:12 PM
j_nizzle, goodluck man. And my peace be with you on your trials. O0

j_nizzle
03-17-2007, 12:15 PM

wth? i already gave up. LOL

Blk Mivo IX
03-17-2007, 01:00 PM

wth? i already gave up. LOL

hahah i guess he hasnt been reading

nicklulu
03-17-2007, 02:07 PM
^^^ multi tasking, didnt noticed the date :uglystupid2:

Terry S
03-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Bump!

Why not this year? :lol:

Terry S

j_nizzle
03-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Bump!

Terry S

one of my chick friends said she would go hardcore ol skool and give up meat entirely...lol.

let's just say she couldnt commit! ;) :2funny: :twisted:

Terry S
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Hahhaahhha. nice.

Dude, I saw an advertisement at the Taco Bell in Tustin Marketplace that mentioned having plenty of "Tasty alternatives during Lent". :lol:

Terry S

nicklulu
03-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Bump!

Terry S

one of my chick friends said she would go hardcore ol skool and give up meat entirely...lol.

let's just say she couldnt commit! ;) :2funny: :twisted:

what kind of meat are we talking about here? ? ?

hehehehehe

atlvalet
03-29-2008, 01:16 AM
I am giving up Catholicism for Lent.