PDA

View Full Version : Have to get car smogged, will it pass?

HB Evo Owner
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Okay I live in Huntington Beach/Long Beach and both have the same emissions requirements for both counties.

I'm buying a car off this guy who's car is registered in Texas.
When he bought the car it was from a guy in New Jersey and he didn't have to smog the car.

Now, the car is already here in California...do i need to get it smogged to get it registered for California?

Also will it pass smog if it has an intake, downpipe, catalytic converter ON, invidia catback exhaust

Skiracer
03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/newvehicle.htm

HB Evo Owner
03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/newvehicle.htm

I know I've been on the DMV site but idk if it will pass with just that and I've looked thru that site and it doesn't give me a direct answer

EVOMANIAC
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
You will have to get it smogged in order to register it here in CA. It will fail the visual test due to the down pipe. If the intake does not have a CARB sticker it will fail due to that, and if the cat is not stock it will fail for that. The parts will fail the visual. As for the sniffer I tuned my car myself and have passed the CA sniffer test, I dont have to pass the visual, my mods are in the sig.

HB Evo Owner
03-07-2007, 11:46 PM
The intake is the APS intake that almost looks like its stock. When I smog it I will smog it with the test pipe gone and put the cat on. will i need to take off the downpipe too?

ultraflip
03-08-2007, 12:13 AM
yes... the intake may fail visual inspection as well unless it's c.a.r.b. legal

boostinbyyou
03-08-2007, 12:52 AM
i got a guy that will pass the visual for you....

remind me next wednesday and i will tell you about him...

i totally spaced when you asked me that...

HB Evo Owner
03-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I guess the DMV has to look at the car too so if they see my intake and all that it won't pass visual with them

EVOMANIAC
03-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Never took my truck to the DMV when I switched the registration to CA.

HB Evo Owner
03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
my friend bought a silva from japan and used a 240sx VIN and just got it smogged and never had to take it to the DMV either. but for me to pass smog i gotta take that shit off anyways so might as well just take it to the DMV for them to look at it cuz its going to be stock.

Will they trip on JDM tails?

Oh and what about the APS BOV i've got, will that pass smog?

SoCal
03-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Sorry bro I can help with the smog but can't help with DMV visual...pm me if you need the ride smoged..O0

HB Evo Owner
03-09-2007, 01:11 AM
thanks.

yeh, if it was just a regular smog i could get it done thru you or a couple people but I have to get a visual thru the DMV so might as well just take everything off and just put it back on after the DMV is done with it.

HB Evo Owner
03-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Quick question,

If I get my car smogged with all my mods in my sig but have a cat put on will it pass smog?

sl2edline
03-10-2007, 12:52 PM
no i dont think so, unless you put your cat back on

HB Evo Owner
03-10-2007, 06:30 PM
oh and i forgot that the ECU is reflashed by GT Motorsports.

Alfred@TTech
03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
You will have to get the car smogged to register it here, no way around it. You will also most likely have to get the VIN verified by a DMV officer or CHP/Local PD.

Alfred

hyp36rmax
03-15-2007, 11:52 PM
you should not have to remove the aftermarket downpipe, it does nothing to the catalytic converter, however i do suggest as you are already doing this to put the stock cat back on.