PDA

View Full Version : ALL TALK ABOUT LOWERING SPRINGS FOUND HERE!

mamazcookn
04-25-2005, 12:22 AM
want to buy coilovers but cant afford em, so what do you guys say about springs? any preferences out there? my only request is for the nose of the car to be lower than the backside. i know that many of the springs out there have the same ratio, hence it still leaves a bigger gap where the front tires are compared to the back tires. any suggestions on which springs to buy?

DoCoMo
04-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Just ordered hotchkiss springs, in the spring world those
are the most practical from what i read good performance
and gives the car a mean stance. :wink:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/VanillaSky/4_G.jpg
Courtisy of Vanilla Sky's evo

leaveit2bevo
04-25-2005, 12:53 AM
save the money and get coilovers

kimletrim
04-25-2005, 08:14 AM
My vote goes to Hotckis. For a little over 100 buck, you won't be disappointed.

Hockeychamp
04-25-2005, 08:35 AM
hotchkis! Very similar to stock ride! and a very nice stance! Teins are tooo Low!!!

j_nizzle
04-25-2005, 08:41 AM
get eibachs because i have them!!!

genrec
04-25-2005, 08:50 AM

^^ i agree, i looked into countless spring combos with stock(KYB) shocks or MR(bilstein) shocks.........and decided to save up for coilovers in the longrun it will be worth it. Patience my friend.

GokuSSJ4
04-25-2005, 11:43 AM

^^ i agree, i looked into countless spring combos with stock(KYB) shocks or MR(bilstein) shocks.........and decided to save up for coilovers in the longrun it will be worth it. Patience my friend.

the only bad side about taking short cuts is that you can affect the performance out of the car (which is what makes it the best)
Are you ever planing on tracking the car or autocrossing ???
IMO you should save your $$$$ and get the new Buddy clubs tune properly. It's one of the best mods that you can do to the Evo and enhance the performace.

mamazcookn
04-25-2005, 11:46 AM
hmm...ok no springs for me..ill save for the coilover's...thank you gentlemen.

WavMixer
04-25-2005, 12:56 PM
hmm...ok no springs for me..ill save for the coilover's...thank you gentlemen.Yeah, do it cheap now to save a few bucks and you will end up doing it right later. If you wait and do it right the first time, you save money and frustration from not doing it right the first time.

AD_LIB
04-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Springs are just all bad...stay stock or get a nice set of coilovers or you are just gonna be upset! period.

DoCoMo
04-25-2005, 02:41 PM
if i may play devils advocate there has all been great advice here
but for a person who has an evo as a daily driver lookin for a
nice anwser to the huge gap and doesnt have/need to spend 1500$
on a suspension set up ment for the track not the everyday life
of crusing the pavement/canyon i would think springs is the most
ideal way to achieve the results you want. In a nutshell if ur going
to the track once a month ya get the coilovers if its only once a
year then save the money for power and get springs.

leaveit2bevo
04-25-2005, 04:20 PM
but thats not correct my coilovers ride better than stock its all about who tunes them :wink:

Tarmac02
04-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Or if you want a mid range btwn all of these and plan to keep your car a daily driver and see some occasional hard driving and don't have the money to spend on coilovers then try the Omni Power "coilovers"... I refer to them as more of a matched spring/strut with some ride height adjustability. People that I've talked to that have these don't have anything bad to say about them. The fact is coilovers are expensive and not everybody wants to go there. 700 dollars isn't too bad for what you get either. Combine these with an adj swaybar and you've got a decent setup for under a grand.

kimletrim
04-25-2005, 04:53 PM
but thats not correct my coilovers ride better than stock its all about who tunes them :wink:

But that is exactly the point. Why spend the 1000 bucks on up on something that you will rarely ever use to its full potential? Yes if you track the car often enough, coilovers are the way to go. But I just can't justify spending that much when most of my driving will be on the streets AND the Hotchkis springs suit my needs perfectly.

mamazcookn
04-25-2005, 11:27 PM
dooooooooooood....springs or coilovers....im so confused...im a daily driver, no tracking or touring.....i guess im just afraid that getting springs will cause problems for my car even as a daily driver.....
Question for those with Hotchkis springs, where did you purchase them and for how much? Oh! and will you scratch your car if you went over a parking block?

kimletrim
04-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Ask anyone on this board with Hotchkis springs and by and large the responses will be positive. The springs lower the ride without destroying the ride quality or handling qualities the Evo is revered for. Plus they offer a lowered stance which looks good. You will encounter some parking blocks that will scratch the bottom most part of the bumper, the lip that drops below the under tray. No biggee. I really don't worry about going over dips or parking blocks. I would be worried if I went with the Tien S springs.

AD_LIB
04-26-2005, 04:33 AM
ya stay away from the Tien springs, also what tarmac said earlier about the spring/strut combo works well. I picked up some TRD tokiko adjustable shocks and TRD springs for my old IS300 and it was a cost effective alternative to coilovers,and performed very well. I think works has a package like this right? www.worksevo.com

-Brian

dyuyeno
04-26-2005, 05:48 AM
hmm...ok no springs for me..ill save for the coilover's...thank you gentlemen.

Depends on what you want. I've been told that the evo was designed with heavier spring rates in mind than what was exported to the US. A properly set up set of lowering springs can give you a good performance boost at the track while you save your money for coilovers.

Currently I have the Works SS-1 package. Significant performance improvement for around $500.

Talk to Robi and see what he says about his "economy" setup - stiff springs, heavy rear swaybar and solid bushings.

GokuSSJ4
04-27-2005, 01:31 PM

But that is exactly the point. Why spend the 1000 bucks on up on something that you will rarely ever use to its full potential? Yes if you track the car often enough, coilovers are the way to go. But I just can't justify spending that much when most of my driving will be on the streets AND the Hotchkis springs suit my needs perfectly.
That’s one of the reasons why it was mention if he ever planned to track the car. Whether its road race or autocross, also why limit to what things you can do in the near future (event wise). If you just want looks and are concern with the high of the car, then springs are the way to go. If you ever consider enhancing the performance out of the car, then a well tune suspension is always your best bet. Several guys have appreciated what a well tune suspension can do to this car once the car has been properly align and tune for it. Even if you consider tracking the car once a year, it’s always nice to have a car that handles how it should. You can always appreciate a well balance car, since that’s one of the reasons at least why I bought this car, CORNERS !!!

gofaster87
04-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Compared to the stupid shit people buy for their evos coilovers are far from expensive. The car is purpose built and isnt cheap, so why be cheap with it and ruin performance. I know a few stock evos that can out handle evos with a shitty set of coilovers. Another thing to think about is that over the long run lowering springs can and will kill your shocks, so what do you do then? Spend more money. There is no halfway point in suspension, you get what you pay for. Im sure the Bilsteins will out perform the omnipowers because they are specifically tuned for the Evo. An $800 coilover system is pretty much a generic system that has little if any research put into them. Do it right or stay stock, which isnt actually bad to begin with. If you want more imput on what different spring rates, shaft sizes and adjustability will do for your car give John Mueller a call and he will explain it to you. Ive had some discussions with him and he knows all the ins and outs of coilover design.

kimletrim
04-27-2005, 02:16 PM

That’s one of the reasons why it was mention if he ever planned to track the car. Whether its road race or autocross, also why limit to what things you can do in the near future (event wise). If you just want looks and are concern with the high of the car, then springs are the way to go. If you ever consider enhancing the performance out of the car, then a well tune suspension is always your best bet. Several guys have appreciated what a well tune suspension can do to this car once the car has been properly align and tune for it. Even if you consider tracking the car once a year, it’s always nice to have a car that handles how it should. You can always appreciate a well balance car, since that’s one of the reasons at least why I bought this car, CORNERS !!!

Totally agree...you have to know what you want to do with the car. Yes, springs only is a compromise but they can be done right and the car will still corner like stock or better than stock.

negativeB
05-29-2005, 08:18 AM
from what i've heard, coilovers drastically change the characteristics of your car; for the better if you know what to expect, and worse if you don't. the suggestion given to me was to go with springs since i only plan to track my car a few times a year. i suggest the same to you since you plan on not tracking the car at all. springs will stiffen up your ride, but not as much as coilovers will, so that you don't know how to handle your new ride. and also, the stock struts are much sturdier than the struts on other cars, so they won't be "killed," unless you give your car a significant drop like the S-techs. but i think even those could be handled by our struts.

this is just advice given by someone who isn't an expert on suspensions, but has talked to a few people from various shops who are more knowledgeable on the subject.

negativeB
05-29-2005, 08:20 AM
another thing...i think getting coilovers on a car that will never be tracked and will only be daily driven is blingy.

Blak94GSX
05-29-2005, 08:38 AM
I'd recommend spending the money on a rear sway bar upgrade and RRE alignment, and just keep the stock springs and shocks. From a handling standpoint that is about the best bang for the bucks.

If you are more interested in cosmetics, then just get some lowering springs and call it a day.

trinydex
06-16-2005, 07:11 AM

the ride is all about dampening... and that would be the specs and adjustability of your coilover. this is where rrc spec shit is off the hook.

btw... if you're looking into springs... aparently the only springs matched well to stock dampers are the espelir gt springs. robi does these... and i'm assuming rrc does too.

yeah hold on... why are you getting coilovers anyway... half the people whining here are talkin' about not tracking the car and streetable lala. so why are you wanting to mod the sus? that's the question... why?

if you are just gonna lower the car... live with the eurostyle hard ride fender wall rubbing and bling yer car with some clipped springs or whatever is "cool" these days. if you really wanna be a cheap ass get two worm drive gears clamps and tie your coils together... taht'll give you some lowering...

if you want a better ride than stock... get coil overs... but if you don't wanna spend the money, don't.

if you want full adjustability cuz you change yer settings at every track... get coilovers, if you don't wanna spend the money, stop racing cars.

if you want better handling... well... you can get the springs that work, or you can get some sway bar trailing arm bushing goodness or some coilovers or all of the above. i thinks this option has the most (broadest) application to prospective coilover/sus modifying buyers. and if this is indeed the case... don't fuck up and buy the wrong shit...

sirloin
06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
so BASICALLY your saying. get coilovers or if you dont want them get the epselir GT springs?

j_nizzle
06-20-2005, 10:10 AM
basically, some guys would stay stock, some guys would get coilovers, and others would get springs. i say that ultimately if you are happy with what you do to your car then screw everyone else because it isnt their car. do what makes you happy. you wanna be cheap about it; ok, you wanna be high roller about it; sure. bottomline, just make sure you dont regret it.

trinydex
06-20-2005, 04:37 PM
yeah

MoReRyCe
08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Well.. i guess i should have done some research before i went out n spent money but oh well.. im an idiot...

Aight well i bought some Tein S-Tech springs and im ok with the drop... but they are too soft for me...

I was thinking of some Espelir GT springs... Â*and ive been trying to find out the spring rate on them.. i found out stock GSR is like 200/f 270/r ??

Im not sure on the s-techs but they feel softer than stock to me.. but eh wutever...

Im tryin to find out the spring rate on those ESPELIR ACTIVE GT springs... or if anything...wuts a pretty stiff spring... significantly stiffer than stock yet not a coilover....

If i cant find the answer then im just going on the waiting list to get me some JRZ's...

Thanx for ur help guys..

speedracer2169
08-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Evo Spring Rates
Name
Lowering Springs:
...................................Front.......... ........Rear.............drop

Eibach Pro-Kit:**....165lbs(2.9k)....140lbs(2.5k)....1.2f / 1.2r
Espelir ASD:............263lbs(4.7k)....319lbs(5.7k)....79 f / .79r
Espelir GT:..............308lbs(5.5k)....330lbs(5.9k)....1 .7f/ .98r
Ralliart:...................280lbs(5.0k)....307lbs (5.5k)....0.5f / 0.5r
RSR:**....................224lbs(4.0k)....280lbs(5 .0k)....1.4f / 1.4r
RSR Ti2000..............280lbs(5.0k)....336lbs(6.0k).. ..1.4f / 0.8r
Stock(USDM):..........180lbs(3.2k)....225lbs(4.0k) ......STOCK
Tanabe GP210:.......256lbs(4.6k)....319lbs(5.7k)....1.5f / 1.0r
Tein High Tech:**...196lbs(3.5k)....268lbs(4.8k)....1.4f / 0.3r
Tein S Tech:**........212lbs(3.8k)... 291lbs(5.1k)....2.0f / 0.9r

Coilovers:

APEXI PRO:..............560lbs(10.K).....560lbs(10.K)... .Adjustable
CUSCO Zero 1:........392lbs(7.0K).....280lbs(5.0k)....Adjusta ble
CUSCO Zero 2:........392lbs(7.0K).....280lbs(5.0k)....Adjusta ble
CUSCO Zero 2R:......392lbs(7.0K).....280lbs(5.0k)....Adjustab le
HKS Hypermax II:....392lbs(7.0k).....336lbs(6.0K)....Adjustable
HKS Hypermax RS....336lbs(6.0K).....280lbs(5.0k)....Adjustable
HKS Kansai Tarmac:.448lbs(8.0K).....448lbs(8.0K)....Adjustabl e
HKS Kansai Track:....896lbs(16.K).....784lbs(14.K)....Adjusta ble
HKS Performer:........392lbs(7.0k).....336lbs(6.0k)... .Adjustable
HKS PRO:.................672lbs(12.K).....672lbs(12.K) ....Adjustable
JIC FLT A2:...............560lbs(10.K).....504lbs(9.0K)... Adjustable
OHLINS FLAG L:.............ANy ..............Any ...............Adjustable
OHLINS R/T:.............250lbs(4.4k).....310lbs(5.5k)....Ad justable
Ralliart:....................336lbs(6.0K).....336l bs(6.0K)....Adjustable
Tein Basic:...............392lbs(7.0k).....336lbs(6.0K) ....Adjustable
Tein Flex:.................504lbs(9.0K).....448lbs(8.0K )....Adjustable
Tein SS:...................392lbs(7.0k).....336lbs(6.0k )....Adjustable
Tein RA:...................672lbs(12.K).....504lbs(9,0K )....Adjustable
Tein HA:...................504lbs(9.0K).....392lbs(7.0K )....Adjustable
Tein HT:...................896lbs(16.K).....672lbs(12.K )....Adjustable
ZEAL:.......................336lbs(6.0K).....280lb s(5.0k)....Adjustable
ZEAL Also:...............448lbs(8.0k).....392lbs(7.0k). ...Adjustable

chuckdashi
12-31-2005, 06:16 PM
i was thinking of lowering the evo... but im not sure whether it would affect my traction control... any recommendations?...

Miss Evo8
12-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Don't DO IT!!!! if you plan on tracking the car....otherwise The Tanabe G210 are pretty good on the streets.

donatevo
12-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Eibach springs for even drop O0

j_nizzle
12-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Eibach springs for even drop O0

+1

no offense, but generally, s-techs dont perform. they give you an awesome look but i think billy is the only one that had them and liked them completely. he eventually upgraded to coilovers though.

500whp
12-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Tanabe GF210s or Esplier ASDs

genrec
12-31-2005, 07:32 PM
Tanabe GF210s or Esplier ASDs

I agree w/jeff here..if one has to do springs..these are the 2...all other are way to soft pieces of dung.

TuningTechnologies
12-31-2005, 09:13 PM
I have the GF210's.......I like them a lot but alos consider that it is stiff.....and will promote more of an understeer effect.........I love it but its not for all. Happy New Year

emperor_gp
01-01-2006, 09:07 AM
I've spoken to some who have them and they like them. I guess its just a personal preference at this point.

Dagul
01-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I've spoken to some who have them and they like them.* I guess its just a personal preference at this point.

How would you compare the GF210s to the S-Techs?

kimletrim
01-01-2006, 09:26 AM
HOTCHKIS is also a popular choice. IMHO, it is the best overall performer. It lowers the ride, but not too much, makes the car look better, ride comfort is about the same as stock and it will not negatively affect handling. Sure a coilover setup would be great for the track, but were just talking springs here.

drwn kix
01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Ask Robi about his spring, sway bar and alignment setup. O0

genrec
01-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Ask Robi about his spring, sway bar and alignment setup.* O0

yes he recommends the espelirs....

tein are way to soft.........goto any car forum..same concensus..they are are a spring for looks..you throw on your moms accord station wagon.period.

559EVO
01-01-2006, 07:00 PM
If you get eibach its an even drop which will keep your front end higher than the back.I have the Hotchkis,very good if you stay with 17's but once you get 18's it will rub on fast highway bumps and sharp canyon turns.

j_nizzle
01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
i stand behind the eibach's 100% i ran them on 18" wheels and no rubbing issues ever even with a full 2 12" sub sound system...i have since switched to 17" wheels again and like it more this way but i would recommend these to anyone.

The Emperor
01-02-2006, 01:59 AM
i dont know but i think my car got stiffer with the S-techs..

j_nizzle
01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
i dont know but i think my car got stiffer with the S-techs..

this is how it is...there are always different reviews with them. imo. they are way too soft to be on a car like the evo. and i tip my hat to you and noel...putting a front lip on a car with s-techs. because when i drove my friend's car on s-techs, the ride was just spongy and all over the place. not comfortable to me.

good to see that you've had good results with them. from experience, the eibach and the hotschiks are the springs to buy. they lower the car enough to be noticable and not too drastically. they perform. there are many springs one can choose. as long as you can justify why you bought them, whether they are cheap or expensive. it's your money. spend it how you like.

Takashi
01-02-2006, 11:23 AM
i guess i have a lot more thinking to do...

That's true, I had my evo lowered on Hotchkis springs for over a year, and although I absolutely loved the agressive look, but I really couldn't stand dealing with a lowered car. So I bought MR suspension and couldn't be happier with it. IMO, losing suspension travel is not worth the better look, which is why I think that coilovers are really the way to go with any car, especially the evo. Coilovers will allow you to maintain a good amount of suspension travel, and give you an agressive look. The question is, is $2K worth it to you?

--greg--

BOO5150
01-04-2006, 11:43 PM
What would be the main difference between the s-techs and h-techs? I want to lower my car until I buy coils. I have a C-west front bumper and I don't want to rip it off, so what set of springs do you guys think would work better.

j_nizzle
01-05-2006, 12:02 AM
What would be the main difference between the s-techs and h-techs? I want to lower my car until I buy coils. I have a C-west front bumper and I don't want to rip it off, so what set of springs do you guys think would work better.

if you have to go tein springs, go h-tech. with the c-west most of the springs work. get w/e just avoid megan and s-techs!

javinsMR
02-07-2006, 10:44 PM
anybody tried swift springs b4? i have them in my MR. it looks good and handles great. O0
these springs are specifically designed for both MR and NON-MR EVOS. i'll try to get pics up soon.
unlike the works springs, the drop on the front is lower with these kind of springs...

javinsMR
02-11-2006, 10:32 AM
heres a link to the pictures of another MR owner before and after the installtion of his swift springs including his drving impression:
i hope this will help you decide on what kind of lowering springs you choose...enjoy!

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?postid=2160187#poststop

russjnco
02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
I had the hotchkis springs for about 4 months before I chucked them. The ride was good at first but after awhile they got really bouncy.

Swift makes a pretty decent spring for coilovers but not sure how good they're OE spring replacement would be.

C-Spec
02-11-2006, 02:31 PM
I have Espelor ASD. i love th damn springs. Not too low and very nice ride.

chuckdashi
02-18-2006, 06:21 AM
curious to see who rolls with lowering springs on... i know i know i know if im thinkin of dropping the car im better off doing coilovers... but the thing is trying to roll on a budget so just trying to see what everyone has and how do you like it... and would you recommend it to someone... thanks for all your 2 cents.... dont hate.... O0

j_nizzle
02-18-2006, 08:04 AM
this has all been said before...if you plan on tracking and/or want something long-term just put out money on the coilovers.

i am currently saving up on these, muellerized buddyclubs to be exact. mind you, i do not plan to track my evo. i will have another car for that. i've been using eibach springs for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem. i highly recommend them. good luck.

white power
02-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Works springs trimmed out back to tuck more for looks... Love 'em. Daily driver for now not track tool though. One day I will do coil overs/plates/bars when I get bored and want a true slotcar

wj4
02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
i had tein s tech springs for 2 weeks and didnt really like em too much so i upgraded to tanabe sustec pro s-s coilovers..love em :D

EVOATEYOU
02-19-2006, 11:53 PM
im running espelir ASD springs on mine, ride quality is great, has a larger wheel gap in the front, but the car itself is pretty level.... i just picked up some Apex'i N1's so i will be selling the ASD's, but they are great for the price O0

EvolvedMCC
02-20-2006, 12:37 AM
got the hotchkis springs, perfect drop and same ride quality. trying to save up for some coilovers...

Strider
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
im running espelir ASD springs on mine, ride quality is great, has a larger wheel gap in the front, but the car itself is pretty level.... i just picked up some Apex'i N1's so i will be selling the ASD's, but they are great for the price O0

We have those as well (they were on the car when we bought it). They're not bad. Ride quality isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it's great either. For the price, they are pretty decent though.

We'll be ditching them for Muellerized Buddy Club's in a few months though. :)

kimletrim
02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Hotchkis here. Great springs.

chuckdashi
02-21-2006, 12:28 AM
whats the drop? and how much?

kimletrim
02-21-2006, 12:33 AM
whats the drop? and how much?

The drop is about 1.25inch in front and 1 inch in back. My cost was 125 but price has since gone up to 150 I believe.

EvolvedMCC
02-21-2006, 12:34 AM
1.5F/1.0R i think? they go for like $140-150

xEviLxVIIIx
02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
i had the WORKS ride springs on my 03. very nice springs, ride was a little smoother than stock. only lowers 7/8" front and rear and keeps the stock rake. pretty pricey but its WORKS

G20
02-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Eibach here. Been 3 years no problem.

559EVO
02-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Hotchkis here. Great springs.

me too and +1

Same here +2

javinsMR
02-21-2006, 10:36 AM
swift springs... loving it!

evoibad
02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Why isnt it good to track your car on springs. I figure it would have a lower center of gravity and less body roll.

[p]dOG.
02-22-2006, 12:28 PM
you can track your car on springs, but the guy next to you with a coilover system is going to pass you on the "inside" :twisted:

BHCevo
02-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Eibach pro springs from RRE. Ride is _considerably_ softer than stock...have yet to see how they hold up when being pushed in a corner. Softness certainly makes freeway cruising nicer. Oh yeah, drop is nice as well.

x[corwyn]
02-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Bought some H-Tech's for my roommate but from everything we read it will look better but handling will be worse so he is gonna go stock for now and bump up to Coilovers sometime. Hopefully around the same time I do.

BTW selling an UNOPENED box of TEIN H-Techs for $120 in OC.

chuckdashi
02-23-2006, 08:59 AM
i appreciate it but i dont track nor race... spirited driving yes every once and a while... thats why i figured springs would be cheaper and would serve the purpos i need

Strider
02-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Eibach pro springs from RRE. Ride is _considerably_ softer than stock...have yet to see how they hold up when being pushed in a corner. Softness certainly makes freeway cruising nicer. Oh yeah, drop is nice as well.

It feels softer than stock, because the Eibach Pro-Kit springs are softer than the stock springs. :)

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=17157.0

speedform
02-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Why isnt it good to track your car on springs. I figure it would have a lower center of gravity and less body roll.

Stock struts have very limited travel which causes the aftermarket lowering spring to bind under extreme cornering
conditions. But if you don't plan to track your car (which is a real sin!) then springs are ok. I like SWIFT myself.

C-Spec
02-24-2006, 12:56 AM
LOWERING SPRINGS SUCK!!!!!! DON'T GET THEM!!!!!!! THE EVO doesn't turn very well at the track with them, you will get passed on turns because the car will bottom out....get "cheese grater" effect when u turn! Unless u learn some major throttle control and do A LOT of sterring input your car will not turn. Leave the car stock until you can get some coilovers.... Just my opinion...also speak from experience.

Angela, you can't really say that because how many springs have really tested ??* it's all come down to what do you really wants to do ?? if you not going to track your car that much why would you spent money on coilovers? it's a waste.* *I have drove evos with Tein, hotchkis, Tanabe, eibach, Espelir ASD and GT aswell.* Tein S-tech is a piece of shit spring, the H-tech is a little better.* Hotchkis good spring for daily driver and a little canyon run,* Eibach are ok, not really special and for the price it's not worth it.* After 2-3 months of testing what springs do i really want for my Evo, it came down to the Espelir ASD which are awsome, i have that on my car.* awsome srings.* I went up to big bear last tuesday for a little canyon run, going pretty freaking fast.* Good stuff.* the Espelir GT with a upgraded rear sway bar plus Robispec alignment are great track setup if you are not looking for coilovers.* It's a little too stiff for an daily driver or long drive.* Tanabe GF120, it feels the same as stock springs, actually the stock spring felt a little better.

chuckdashi come to project Gen tomorrow, i will take you up to Azusa 39 for a little canyon run and see how you like my setup. O0

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-26-2006, 05:43 AM
what about works springs and sway bar vs. Espelir ASD and rre sway bar, for daily driving and a couple of track and autox events a year?

Miss Evo8
02-26-2006, 06:05 PM
LOWERING SPRINGS SUCK!!!!!! DON'T GET THEM!!!!!!! THE EVO doesn't turn very well at the track with them, you will get passed on turns because the car will bottom out....get "cheese grater" effect when u turn! Unless u learn some major throttle control and do A LOT of sterring input your car will not turn. Leave the car stock until you can get some coilovers.... Just my opinion...also speak from experience.

Angela, you can't really say that because how many springs have really tested ??* it's all come down to what do you really wants to do ?? if you not going to track your car that much why would you spent money on coilovers? it's a waste.* *I have drove evos with Tein, hotchkis, Tanabe, eibach, Espelir ASD and GT aswell.* Tein S-tech is a piece of shit spring, the H-tech is a little better.* Hotchkis good spring for daily driver and a little canyon run,* Eibach are ok, not really special and for the price it's not worth it.* After 2-3 months of testing what springs do i really want for my Evo, it came down to the Espelir ASD which are awsome, i have that on my car.* awsome srings.* I went up to big bear last tuesday for a little canyon run, going pretty freaking fast.* Good stuff.* the Espelir GT with a upgraded rear sway bar plus Robispec alignment are great track setup if you are not looking for coilovers.* It's a little too stiff for an daily driver or long drive.* Tanabe GF120, it feels the same as stock springs, actually the stock spring felt a little better.

chuckdashi come to project Gen tomorrow, i will take you up to Azusa 39 for a little canyon run and see how you like my setup. O0

Oh I can say that because going to 6 track events so far....and three of them being "Mini-Muellerized" (alignment, rear sway bar and rear bushings) (also I do have a Master Bushing Kit...went the extra mile on that one O0)and numerous canyon runs up in Azusa and GMR the car handles like ASS!!!!! IT WILL BOTTOM OUT, IT WILL NOT TURN AS FAST, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN THROTTLE CONTROL TO GET THE ASS TO SWING AROUND WHEN YOU WANT IT TO, THE CAR WILL BOUNCE ALL OVER THE PLACE! AND...when you are going into a corner fast and you try and pitch the car the tires will get all bound up and will not turn the car, they are pointed to turn but the cars so heavy in the front and the damper is at the end of its travel.... TAAAAA DAAAHHH.... major understeer!!!!! That is where the major throttle control lots of sawing on the wheel to get the car to rotate comes in! Ride in a Muellerized car or get behind one and watch it go the car TURNS! Even a Stock Evo turns better!

C-Spec
02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
so Angela, you are telling me you have been to the track with all of those springs??* eitherway it's a waste of money to get coilovers when the guy doesn't even track his car don't you think??* the guy ask what kind of spring to get, he didn't ask for a Road race lesson. :2funny: I don;t worry Angela i still got love for you. O0

Miss Evo8
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
so Angela, you are telling me you have been to the track with all of those springs??* eitherway it's a waste of money to get coilovers when the guy doesn't even track his car don't you think??* the guy ask what kind of spring to get, he didn't ask for a Road race lesson. :2funny: I don;t worry Angela i still got love for you. O0

I never said ALL of those springs just the GF210s but all springs in general...IMO....SUCK ASS!!!! HAAAA HAAA... He can go for the BC's they are cheaper and he can get a nice "Street" set up from John...will have a "correct alignment, save his tires and the car will ride better then stock! We have EVO's not Honda's...no need to go the "Cheap" route! I know u got love for me it's all good* ;) just expressing myself and my thoughts on springs!

trinydex
02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
show cars that don't drive can roll on whatever, let tein take care of those guys. as for anything else... any suspension that is not custom spec'ed with the proper r&d is just a waste. these days they got some monkey makin' up numbers for shit that will "fit the most people's tastes" but actually it's just laziness associated with the we gotta make 'em for the least money possible, put the least amount of time in possible so people can buy them... be unhappy then buy something else and keep buyin' until they're so damn fed up that they sell the car.

that is how the industry works these days. it's not about knock offs it's not about scammers even, it's about short sighted people that wanna make what they thot was gonna be a whole lotta money. it doesn't matter if they made a FINE product the fact of the matter is they're short handing everyone on the way by being greedy eager lil bastages. and in the end everyone gets the shaft.

chuckdashi
02-27-2006, 10:31 AM
i appreciate all your comments and the little discussion between springs and coilovers... like a million other threads... thats the whole reason why i placed that i didnt want to get coilovers since i neither race nor track... i know i got an evo thats the whole reason why i never posted "Would Cut springs for nicer drop"... maybe for some 200 or 300 is nothin for some it might be a lot.... but back to the topic... im just asking about peoples expeirience with springs and im SURE not everyone is riding with coilovers even if they have evos... and SOME if not most are using lowering springs right now and are fairly happy wih em.... right now im trying o decided between the espilers and hotchkis... charlie your gonna be at the shop today right?....

GokuSSJ4
02-27-2006, 11:00 AM
this has been discuss sooo many times, its not even worth saying anything anymore. In regards about being happy if you choose to go with lowering springs for your evo, well... you will be ; I'm sure of it but once you compare your beloved half ass set up to some one else with coilovers or some one that has been properly tune, you will regret spending such amount of $$$$ on something that it's not worth it..
Of course if you are on a budget, all things aside. You can look into the springs that www.worksevo.com sell for the evo, doesn't affect handleing or the ride quality but simply just lowers the car... I will never understand how some peeps purchase a 30k car and what makes this car so wonderful is the handleing capabilities it has, then try to be cheap or cut short cuts and purchase a 200.00 springs just to look cool, sacrificing the handleing which is what makes this car so beautiful (among other things)

chuckdashi
02-27-2006, 11:15 AM
isnt it all about what you want... that is the whole point of me asking around for i dont wish to compensate handling... yes i know i know that coilovers are best nd its worth spending the money... but do i see a good reason to spend that much for something i may never truly appreciate for not tracking or racing?... no not really.... so please if anyone is out there that is not out to argue about coilovers being superior.. please do post your expeirience... again i have my hands down to coilovers, just dont see the point of purchasing one for a car that doesnt track nor race...

GokuSSJ4
02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
isnt it all about what you want... that is the whole point of me asking around for i dont wish to compensate handling... yes i know i know that coilovers are best nd its worth spending the money... but do i see a good reason to spend that much for something i may never truly appreciate for not tracking or racing?... no not really.... so please if anyone is out there that is not out to argue about coilovers being superior.. please do post your expeirience... again i have my hands down to coilovers, just dont see the point of purchasing one for a car that doesnt track nor race...

This is exactly what I said before I got my Muellerized. Come to one of the OC meet and I'll take you a ride in my car. I haven't tracked my car yet, but ever since I got my suspension done... my car is a much funner car to drive. Guarantttteeeeeee

Like Alvin mention it, you dont necessary have to track the car in order to appreciate a well tune suspension.. you will notice a night and day difference once you change from stock to a well tune set of coilovers.. An i though that this hobby was all about improving a car, same reason can be said about addings power mods, but most people do it because it makes the car alot more fun to drive...

e.
03-04-2006, 06:42 PM
LOL no one can ever ask, "what’s the best lowering spring", because all the "Coilover people" come out.
Even if some one says that the only road to work and back has 10-inch deep potholes and has a 1-2 hour commute
to and from work...you can always guarantee that they will say "Save your money for coilovers" ok sure but then
which ones....then all the Pro-track people come out with the 5K coilovers solution LOL, they don’t give a sh*t if you don’t ever plan on racing. They only want to convert you LOL

I say, stay stock its not worth loosing the cars great handling (out of the box) and for sure coilovers will be a waist of money, even if you track it once or twice. Can any one really justify spending so much money?

I to tried coilovers in my last car, never had an opportunity to track it, they do handle much better than the springs i previously had, however being in traffic all the time with such a stiff ride was not worth it. A complete waist of money!!!

So IMO Coilovers Suck! If your only going to drive around town.

LaminarFlow
03-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I've got hotchkis. I just like the look of a lowered car, and it's perfect. Yes, there is a compromise. I've instructed at autocrosses and have compared my car to a stock car. Simply put, if a corner is anything other than totally smooth, the stock setup better. In the last event, one spot in particular I was just getting beat-up, the car was bouncing all over. But in the stock cars, no problem. It was the first time I really felt negitive effect of lowering springs. I am interested in coilovers and hope someday to get a chance to compare them with my lowering springs in an autocross. If there are any autocrossers out there, please let me know. Instructorship has it's privilages.. O0

C-Spec
03-09-2006, 10:26 PM
try Robispec O0

Miss Evo8
03-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Muellerized...
O0
Car handles like it should....ask Charlie! He came up to me at the RTT and exclaimed I made him a believer in the Muellerized set up!!!! He ate his own words about the lowering springs! O0

*chris*
03-11-2006, 11:15 AM
just playing devils advocate...

Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
These lower 1.3" front and rear. The only lowering springs you can trust to not go too low. Best bang for the buck for better handling, especially with an upgraded rear sway bar.

:?

j_nizzle
03-11-2006, 12:21 PM
just playing devils advocate...

Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
These lower 1.3" front and rear. The only lowering springs you can trust to not go too low. Best bang for the buck for better handling, especially with an upgraded rear sway bar.

:?

that's my exact set-up right now! eibach springs and upgraded rear sway-bar/bushing. i also threw in a rear strut bar.

MyGlue
06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey guys,

First time posting up a question so go easy. :knuppel2:* I had a question about what springs i should get.* First off i know everyone whole heartily suggests getting coil overs for performance and what not, but unfortunately it doesnt fit into my budget right now.* Plus my justification for not getting them too is that i wont be using all the adjustability enough to justify the price difference.* I just want to find a nice set of lowering springs to lower the ride height and reduce body roll.* I've been looking at espelir GTs and ASDs and also tanabe gp210s.* My criterion in order of importance is: 1) performance 2)sufficient/good drop 3)streetability.* I understand that performance an streetability often are mutually exclusive, but i just want a good compromise.* In my mind, as long as the performance goes up i'll be happy.

For the record, i have tracked my evo about 3-4 times already one stock suspension and with a rear sway bar so i know what stock suspension is capable of.* Right now i just want to get something that will reduce body roll.* The reason also i'm looking to get springs is to lower the car for when i get wheels.* which also happens to be the reason i cant afford full coil-overs also. :grin:

I guess i'm looking for first hand impressions and pictures would help fantastically.* Thanks guys.

EvoStevo
06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I have SWIFT and my Evo is my daily driver. Not sure of the specs but the drop is nice... not slammed at all.

trinydex
06-11-2006, 02:33 AM
you don't have mr right? espelir gt is best matched to stock dampers.

speedracer2169
06-11-2006, 09:11 AM
go to the buyer's guide section and look at the lowering springs and you can comapre the drop and the spring rates if that hlps

Dagul
06-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I didn't see swift springs on springs guide...

MyGlue
06-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Yah, i've done searches and read the spring charts. Kinda hard to tell from there. But i narrowed it down to those three because of spring rates and the drop. Those have similar ratios to stock but are a bit stiffer. But i'm looking for first hand info since i dont really know what those numbers translate to in real world performance. I looked into the espelirs cuz i read that robi suggests them but i thought he suggests themon MR shocks.

Trinydex, thats the kind of response i was looking for. Thanks man. I was thinking that asd's might work better, but i'll probably be going towards the GT's now.

Thanks.

EvoStevo
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Super Glue, i considered Espelir first but i didn't get a lot of feedback. Most owners recommend Tanabe or Swift. My picture is before i got it lowered.

chuckdashi
06-11-2006, 06:27 PM
i have espilers asd... they're perfect for me.. took me about* to 4 months before i decided to buy em... tried to get feedback and compared them to each one and i think that they are the best when it comes to springs,,,,

jeres a pic mine is the blue one...
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/chuckdashi/05072006007.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/chuckdashi/blacknblue3.jpg

blkside
06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
What was the overall drop on the ASD's

ragulto
06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm using HOTCHKISS springs. The drop is just right. Not to low or slammed. Rides like stock. I'm not sure about body roll yet coz I don't track the car. My Evo is my daily driver too.

blkside
06-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I was looking into the Hotchkis but havent heard anything about them...I was looking into getting the entire kit they offer with the sways. Do you have a pic dropped on them

MyGlue
06-11-2006, 09:21 PM
What was the overall drop on the ASD's

According to the guide its supposed to be a .8sh inch drop front and back. I'm looking at this wondering why its one of the few springs that dont lower the front more than the back. The reason i wonder is because it would put a lot of weight in the front and change the handling dynamics i would imagine...

I'm also happy to get all this feedback. Positives are positives, but can any of you guys who own springs think of anything bad about ur setups/purchases? Chuckdashi, can u talk a bit more about ur comparison between asd and GT?

chuckdashi
06-11-2006, 09:57 PM
gt's are alright and i have heard good things about them as well... the reason why i went with the asd is because the drop is not as low as the gt.. i still want functionality and driveability... the drop is like perfect... ride is like stock yet.... took a lot of the body roll out...

j_nizzle
06-11-2006, 10:39 PM
i had eibachs for a year and a half with no problems at all...basically hotskis

Raine3D
06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
i had eibachs for a year and a half with no problems at all...basically hotskis

Ive had Eibachs now for .... 2 days! they seem great. Im just using untill later when i can get a coil over setup. Its almost like stock ride but much improvement on turns. Im happy with them for now.

Takashi
06-12-2006, 05:04 PM
somebody suggested hotchkis... i had those on my '03 evo for about a year, and the drop is perfect (visually). some people say it rides like stock, but like most springs, i found that they did slightly diminish ride quality. in the end, i found that i couldn't deal with a lowered car for daily driving; maybe i'm just getting old.

anyhow, overall they're good springs. i still have them sitting around if you're interested in buying them used... drop me an email or pm if you are.

--greg--

C-Spec
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
eibach sucks. they are softer than stock rate.

here's spring rate listing

Evo Spring Rates
Name
Lowering Springs:
...................................Front.......... ........Rear.............drop

Tanabe GF210:.......256lbs(4.6k)....319lbs(5.7k)....1.5f / 1.0r
Hotchkis..................195lbs 275lbs 1.5f / 1r

MyGlue
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info. Still leaning more towards the ASDs i think. I like having the car be lowered the same all around so as not to get that muscle car look. Chuckdashi, thanks for the pics and ur car looks nice. Real nice drop without being outrageous.

j_nizzle
06-13-2006, 01:32 PM

Evo Spring Rates
Name
Lowering Springs:

the tein s-techs have a more aggressive spring rate than stock and they also suck. what's your point, cant just use spring rates as your only proof? have you driven on them?

xxazn2nrxx
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
espelir gt or tanabe gf210

Raine3D
06-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Evo Spring Rates
Name
Lowering Springs:

the tein s-techs have a more aggressive spring rate than stock and they also suck. what's your point, cant just use spring rates as your only proof? have you driven on them?

I was just going to say.. i dont know if they are softer than stock but for sure they do not feel like it. I would say they must be stiffer than stock.. eliminated much body roll and has a very very smooth ride... im very happy with them and do not consider "suck" to be a good descriptive word for them. I have fealt a variety of springs. I have been in many different cars with Eibach's also. Always had a better ride than stock and fealt better than many of the other springs out there. Perfect drop too IMO.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/raine976/Eibach.jpg

j_nizzle
06-13-2006, 06:44 PM
i've seen/been in cars with s-techs at the track vs. my stock suspension and that's my experience with them. they are great show springs imo because you save money and they give the car a very aggressive drop. i dont like the s-techs but each has his own. charlie likes to out-right say things suck and they dont work. but that's just the way he is...i wanted to see him argue and cuss his way out of this one...considering most of the people that had/have evos with s-techs all upgraded or went a different route. whereas eibach owners as well as others seem to keep their springs longer...

Dagul
06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Yeah, the only 2 choices I have are works and swift which are the ones that have bilstein specific springs. At least that I know of.

I'm kind of leaning towards the swifts in terms of price but I've been hearing mixed opinions about the front rake it induces.

And if I do decide to get their springs, I intend to get the swift sway bar with it.

Anyone want to chime in?

smokd
06-14-2006, 10:58 AM
wut do u guys think of the RSR springs... not the titanium but the normal ones... i got them and im actually really happy with them...

trinydex
06-14-2006, 04:57 PM
for future reference to everyone, please read the end all suspension brake thread that is stickied in the suspension forum.

trinydex
06-15-2006, 11:50 AM
dat luk like a good bow a pho. phuc dat, we finally agree on sumfing.

also... the thing is i address his exact question in the thread. hence the term, end all. the other thing is it's a launching point for searching because if you search the "consider" parts of the thread then you'll see lots of threads of people who have already asked about espelir, tanabe and swift.

of course he's welcome to add to those threads and he would then have a list of people he could pm because likely the people running the suspension or the op would know best and he could get first hand knowledge instead of more people saying the same crap again.

gen4k20a2
06-19-2006, 10:47 AM
now where would you get them installed....any how much?

Raine3D
06-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Your garage + 4-5 hours, free

thisxguy
06-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Your garage + 4-5 hours, free

+ the satisfaction of installing something yourself.

Dagul
06-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah, only headache is finding a decent set of spring compressors. I've already broke a couple of the 7 dollar harbor freight spring compressors.

The ones you rent from autozone or kragen are just as crappy.

It also gets messy coz of the grease packed into the upper mount of front struts. You might want to have extra on hand to repack it.

Other than that, there's the feeling of self accomplishment when you get it done right.

Raine3D
06-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah, only headache is finding a decent set of spring compressors. I've already broke a couple of the 7 dollar harbor freight spring compressors.

The ones you rent from autozone or kragen are just as crappy.

It also gets messy coz of the grease packed into the upper mount of front struts. You might want to have extra on hand to repack it.

Other than that, there's the feeling of self accomplishment when you get it done right.

Crap! that reminds me.... i still have yet to replace the grease...i better do that on the way home.

INstall help. Did i already post this on here ? slap me if i did heh
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=12&tech_id=22&osCsid=9789f7201a1975f33d1f1511a41b2de3
If that doesnt make thing simple i dont know what will.

I rented my spring compresser from autozone @ 40 deposit with full refund on return (free rental)
Napa wanted 89$ deposit and $8 a day (bs the thing only cost $49.99)

Dagul
06-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I completely forgot about that tutorial on EVOMOTO... That tutorial goes into pretty good detail, and has plenty of pictures to help.

Maybe it's a San Diego thing. The ones I tried renting from Autozone/Kragen were falling apart and the threads were partially stripped. But I did get it to work. The claws are a bit beefy so on a smaller diameter spring like on the rear struts will be a tight fit.

Raine3D
06-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I completely forgot about that tutorial on EVOMOTO... That tutorial goes into pretty good detail, and has plenty of pictures to help.

Maybe it's a San Diego thing. The ones I tried renting from Autozone/Kragen were falling apart and the threads were partially stripped. But I did get it to work. The claws are a bit beefy so on a smaller diameter spring like on the rear struts will be a tight fit.

Yeah i know what you mean. When i first got a set for my eclipse they were real bad. THe bold to screw them down was stripped.. i managed to get it fully compressed then when i wanted to uncompress all it would do was slip over and over... it sucked so bad. I think people destroy these all the time and they get replaced with new ones. The one i rented this time wasnt even used yet, i was the first!
If you want a new one SCV autozone on Whites is the place to go.
and yes the back spring was still a very tight fit. I couldnt compress it all the way but was ok. The tension release wasnt too bad with how much i was able to compress them.

Dagul
06-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't know what's worse, the screw slipping when you're trying to decompress, or when you're trying to compress the new spring only to find out that the stupid things won't compress the spring far enough to get the top hat back on. :grin:

I remember when I put lowering springs on my 1G, I got so pissed off with the spring compressors that I just took the whole strut assembly and rested it against a parking block in my boy's apartment complex and undid the tophat screw. The damn thing shot itself across the parking lot... Good thing there were no innocent by-standers to get tagged by the tophat... :2funny:

Raine3D
06-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah for sure.... I bet that bolt can have the potential to come off at the same velocity as a bullet +
Just imagine getting caped with by someone with a strut from accross the parking lot. I wouldnt know to be pissed or shocked

Edit..

Be very carefull you have this compressed alot if you ahve never done this before... very dangerous!

CHIGGA73
06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
i was reading in the evomoto thread that when installing new springs you need a new shorter bump stop for them. *
anyone explain why?
anyone point me in a direction to find these aftermarket ones (so i don't have to cut my stock ones)?

i plan on getting the swift springs...will these spring come with them or will i need to buy them? *if i have shop install them, will they cut the bump stops or replace them?

j_nizzle
06-19-2006, 02:24 PM
i was reading in the evomoto thread that when installing new springs you need a new shorter bump stop for them.
anyone explain why?
anyone point me in a direction to find these aftermarket ones (so i don't have to cut my stock ones)?

i plan on getting the swift springs...will these spring come with them or will i need to buy them? if i have shop install them, will they cut the bump stops or replace them?

i had to cut my factory bumpstops on my 03 so i dont want to convert back to stock. leave your suspension stock bro! very worth it in the long run. even more worth it if you come up with the funds to buy coilovers and possibly sell your stock set-up. just a thought.

blkside
06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
You use shorter bumpstops to get the full range of motion out of the springs....You can cut the originals or get an aftermarket set or get OEM if you wanna go back to stock...You can keep the originals uncut but you have a chance of bottoming out on them if you hit a good size bump...

Dagul
06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
yeah, that was about 10 years ago when I first got my driver's license and bought my 1G... Young, stupid and impatient... :grin: Luckily, the bolt was inside the socket and only the top hat flew...

It's an interesting technique... You take your strut and rest it between 2 parking blocks. shim it with bricks, wood or whatever else you can get your hands on. Then you put your scissor jack on the opposite side and compress the spring with top hat... That way you can undo the the bolt without the allen key... *It's unstable so you try to steady it with your foot as you undo the bolt... If you're lucky, you'll get the bolt off as things give way to the spring and the top hat pops up and lands across the parking lot...

Shortly after I learned about the hobby shop on base and just started going there... :grin:

As for the bumpstop question, no the Swift Springs do not come with bump stops. Hotchkis and Works are the only springs that I know of that offer aftermarket bumpstops. You can measure it and source some urethane ones from ORW or see if Hotchkis or works will sell it to you separately. Works are pricey at $69 for a set of bumpstops... I sourced some for my wife's car from ORW for about 6 or 8 bucks a piece...

Also, in regards to having another shop install your springs. They will not modify your bumpstop unless you tell them to and/or hawk over them during the install...

gen4k20a2
11-08-2006, 11:13 AM
springs for street use only FTW...coilovers would be a waste of money if you never went to the track. Youd never REALLY use them. Plus the maint on it would be a bitch and cost a ton. Esp for your daily driver.

MRchnk
12-01-2006, 12:52 AM
ok does anyone have an opion on the swifts???

j_nizzle
12-01-2006, 08:11 AM
ok does anyone have an opion on the swifts???

they're good as a few other springs available. if you plan to track your car at all, save save save!

trinydex
12-01-2006, 09:00 AM
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=31397.0

wow wow wee wow

xxINKxx
12-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Just had SRT motorsports install a set of Tanabe GF210 springs...

They ride realllly nice, they are stiffer than stock but acually feel alot more smooth, and handle awsome.

They drop the car 1.5" in the front and 1.0" in the rear, looks SWEET...ide recomend them to anyone who street drives who looking for better overall look with added performance for CHEAP

andyluk
12-12-2006, 11:53 AM
im debating getting either one of them...
any feedback for both???

DJ_STEPH
12-12-2006, 12:07 PM
i heard a lot of good things about the eibach pro kit, just search eibach pro kit and u'll find all the good infos about em. and if you get s techs, the front sturts will go out real soon..
its like 2inch drop i think..

v8hater
12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
People here seem to like swift springs. I also here good things about esplier too

Coolguy949
12-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Between those two, the Eibach Pro-Kit is definitely better. I didn't like the S-Techs because they were pretty sloppy. They lower a lot too so it's murder on your shocks.

I carry several brands of springs, let me know if you need any.

http://www.motiongarage.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_2_58_64

Lancer EVO IX
12-12-2006, 12:12 PM
swift or espelir if u must get springs. try to save up for some coilovers if possible. O0

andyluk
12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
thx for the feedbacks guys~

MRevo9
12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
if you want the tein s-techs i have a set that i will sell cheap...

my opinion on them is

the car sits very low but they ride smooth, anyone who has been im my car can tell you that. but they are not good springs, they are good to have your car very very low and for show

GokuSSJ4
12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
swift or espelir if u must get springs. try to save up for some coilovers if possible. O0
best advice FTW!

trinydex
12-13-2006, 02:46 AM
teins suck

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=31406.0

swifts

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=31397.0

springs suck

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=31401.0

OmegaEvo
12-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Do not go Tein... I had them on my VIII. It was a NIGHTMARE >:( Its like, the dam car hit on everything.

littlejap33
12-13-2006, 09:51 PM
eibach

blkside
12-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Swift or Espelir but another good spring is the Tanabe GF210. All three of these are better for the car than either of the other 2....

xxINKxx
12-14-2006, 12:25 AM
i have the Tanabe GF210...the car rides almost the same as it did with the stock springs (just a tad stiffer) but it sits lower and looks 100x's better now

good spring for the low cost and you wont loose any performance at all

OmegaEvo
12-14-2006, 01:19 AM
i have the Tanabe GF210...the car rides almost the same as it did with the stock springs (just a tad stiffer) but it sits lower and looks 100x's better now

Do you happen to have a full shot of your car with the springs on? Im very interested in purchasing some.

chuckdashi
12-14-2006, 01:21 AM
i hear eibachs are alright but what i have now is tha espilers asd...

x[corwyn]
12-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Yup. I sold my stock KYBs to a guy that had put s-techs on. The 2" drop KILLED his front shocks. If you want all show but no go, get springs.

xEviLxVIIIx
12-14-2006, 08:52 AM
I had WORKS springs on my 03 and worked really well, not too low. but i hear eibach and swift are pretty good too. but if you're set on either one, i would go eibach. like others have said, tein for show only.

mha002
12-17-2006, 12:17 AM
hey guys..im looking to drop my car and do not want to spend 800 on coils....wat springs have the lowest drop and a decent ride?..pics appreciated!!!

thisxguy
12-17-2006, 12:19 AM
define decent.

thisxguy
12-17-2006, 12:24 AM
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=17157.0

try to search

tein S-techs lower the car a lot and they're soft so they'll be less harsh than others. but your handling will decrease. i believe megan springs lower about the same on the front but more on the rear than s-techs.

people will most likely direct you to swifts or espelir springs...which dont drop your car that much (espelirs lower more than swifts) but they do improve handling a little.

mha002
12-17-2006, 12:25 AM
define decent.

decent...meaning..still rides stockish?..

thisxguy
12-17-2006, 12:28 AM
hm...the tein h-techs or eibach might work good for you...note that they are not the springs that drop your car the lowest.

mha002
12-17-2006, 02:56 AM
haha..im looking for springs taht drop low..covers front and rear gaps..that does not affect the ride that much.

NMREJ6
12-17-2006, 03:04 AM
not springs , but you might like to check it out

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=239581

Positron
12-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Megan is the lowest springs Ive seen so far.

4g63evo05
12-28-2006, 08:12 AM
hi there, Â*i need a little help!

Im going to buy springs and im deciding between two: Â*GF210 and the Espelier ASD.

Which 1 is better? Â*More Comfertable? Â*Reliable? Â*Better Performance?

Thanks

Im looking to buy springs today or tommorrow.

kipper215
12-28-2006, 08:35 AM
try doing a search and you won't believe what you will find.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=23850.0

I chose swift O0

Miss Evo8
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
www.muellerized.com

O0

Stinji
12-28-2006, 04:46 PM
www.robispec.com

x[corwyn]
12-28-2006, 05:41 PM
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/

blkside
12-28-2006, 06:20 PM
www.ilovelilboysnamedflip.com

Look if you are only using those 2 as choices then either way is extremlely comparable... Do a lil research and look at the drops... Its up to you.. I went with the Mueller Stage 1... personal preferance

trinydex
12-28-2006, 08:17 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=35189.0

all you had to do was type springs into the search field and every single spring thread ever posted on this site would be found in the mega merge that i made. now i'll have to merge this thread into that one...... thanks.

littlejap33
12-31-2006, 12:47 PM
tanabe gf 210

evorcr84
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
SWIFT

kipper215
01-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Look if you are only using those 2 as choices then either way is extremlely comparable... Do a lil research and look at the drops... Its up to you.. I went with the Mueller Stage 1... personal preferance

does stage 1 include springs. I thought that was just bushing, rear sway bar, and alignment.

EvoPwr
01-02-2007, 06:27 PM

does stage 1 include springs. I thought that was just bushing, rear sway bar, and alignment.

no it doesnt include springs.

blkside
01-02-2007, 07:27 PM
It doesnt include springs... its just a lil more on the performance side which is why I put personal preferance... sorry should have been more specific...

sidewaysevo
01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Save up for coilovers.

ranmonbu
01-02-2007, 08:22 PM
My personal favorite site is http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index/whywasteyourmoneyonsprings. Both of my Evos have been Muellerized and I would never consider springs. IMHO.

x-trigger
01-02-2007, 10:53 PM
+1 on swift Springs i got mine at www.passracing.com great ppl.

gen4k20a2
01-03-2007, 02:17 PM
you work for that company...i think this is twice now ive seen you put up their website in a short period of time

kEvo VIII
01-03-2007, 02:29 PM
i hear swifts dont put that much of a drop. i'd say tanabe, or the hotchkis set

gen4k20a2
01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
but if you got an MR thats probably the only way to go

verano
01-04-2007, 11:59 AM
how about Espelir GT..... or ASD

Evos4life
03-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Im just wondering what springs would fit the IX MR Bilstien suspension? Is there certain brands that fit well, are there some that dont fit well, any information would be great.

fusionchicken
03-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Swift springs will go on the MR.

Evos4life
03-01-2007, 02:44 AM
How much do you think those will run me? Will the tanabe or the espelir springs fit?

fusionchicken
03-01-2007, 03:10 AM
the swift is i think around $230 brand new IIRC, i could be wrong.

not sure about the tanabe and espelir springs on the MR...sorry :( i have a GSR so i never really looked into what springs fit on the MR. the Swift makes different set of springs, one for the GSR the other for the MR, i'm not aware of espelir or tanabe doing this.

AlexEvo
03-01-2007, 04:48 AM
The consensus seems to be get coilovers rather than springs. My opinion since i am in the same boat as you guys as far as wanting to lower the car is after reading all of this, im going to get coilovers. The reason being, ive owned a car that had lowering springs on it stock and it was awesome for a while until the struts started leaking and making noise since they werent allowed to fully extend and fully contracct like they were designed to. Plus since ill be doing the install myself, i'd rather not do the job twice. I don't know how you spring-lovers view it, but i view my time as money. Now when it comes to coilovers, ive heard the JICs are awesome/awful. Some people have gotten bad batches and they are crap from the factory, others have had 0 problems. Im also looking into the Tein Flex. Any other coilovers out there you guys would recommend?

blkside
03-01-2007, 06:56 AM
If you install yourself you have no customer service if you screw something up. Look into a reputable shop to do them with alignment seeing you will need it anyway. For the money JICs are great. Buddyclubs are a lil cheaper and still pretty good. KW are real cheap and will give you the look you want with better than STOCK performance if set up correctly. Motons are for the ballers so if you have a decent amount of cash drop 4-5K and go Moton... when you only want the best and piss of the guys you hang out with....LOL

DruMMinStUd06
03-01-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not gonna read the 13 pages prior but...in my opinion, if you're not gonna track the car heavily, stick with Swift springs. I recently bought them and finally had the time to put them on with the help of a friend...couldn't be happier. Whoever designed these springs deserves some kind of award...Swifts are awesome...can't say more good things about them.

gen4k20a2
03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
does the drop make the car sit more evenly? the front gap is gone?

Ricardon
03-01-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm not gonna read the 13 pages prior but...in my opinion, if you're not gonna track the car heavily, stick with Swift springs. I recently bought them and finally had the time to put them on with the help of a friend...couldn't be happier. Whoever designed these springs deserves some kind of award...Swifts are awesome...can't say more good things about them.

Elaborate on what makes them so good. Especially since you have'nt read the previous 13 pages.

Evolution22plus1
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM

obviously u have not experienced the extreme camber wear u get with springs....my stock tires went out at about 8k miles because of my springs, i no longer have them i put my stockers back on and sometime next month i am getting coilovers....

ryan0
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
obviously u have not experienced the extreme camber wear u get with springs....my stock tires went out at about 8k miles because of my springs, i no longer have them i put my stockers back on and sometime next month i am getting coilovers....

heh... ok.. well..

when you lower a car.. it adds camber because of the basic geometry of it all..

http://ryan.midnight.net/temp-stuff/lowered.jpg

you could have just gotten an alignment and fixed that.. but.. you just want to tell everyone 'springs suck'.

cool.

Evolution22plus1
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
U really think I would install springs and not get it aligned? everyone knows thats a must...I aligned my IX after spring installation and still got camber wear.....when I had a VIII I never experienced camber wear like on my IX...

ryan0
03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
U really think I would install springs and not get it aligned? everyone knows thats a must...I aligned my IX after spring installation and still got camber wear.....when I had a VIII I never experienced camber wear like on my IX...

bad alignment...

crappy springs could have toed it in and added camber when it bounced i guess, but that would have to be bouncing up and down like a 6-5 impala to ruin tires in 7k miles.

Evolution22plus1
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
well then I guess a bunch of people hear have all gotten a bad alignment, cuz i am not the only one that experienced that problem, you think thats a coincedence?...anyway i personally will not go back to springs after having experienced there performance....

ryan0
03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
i personally will not go back to springs after having experienced there performance....

i dont think that they are really a 'performance' mod... they may seem better on the street.. but i think theyre more of an appearance thing.

AlexEvo
03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
ryan0 - lmfao you definitely get FTW for that drawing!!

uh customer service on coilovers? dude any idiot can install coilovers. with no installing suspension experience i put a set of coilovers on my wrx a couple years ago and i was very pleased with them. then again, you simply cannot put springs on a wrx since the struts are too weak(read my previous post). I figured Evos have stronger struts and could possibly handle being lowered on stock but i'd rather spend the $ and do it right the first time. if you cant install coilovers on your evo, give me your keys and buy yourself a cobalt.

DruMMinStUd06
03-02-2007, 02:30 AM

Elaborate on what makes them so good. Especially since you have'nt read the previous 13 pages.

The handling? Sorry...I'm no Mueller...if you want a detailed explanation, you're asking the wrong person. Like I said...in my opinion if you're not going to track your car extensively, I would opt for Swifts. Thats all.

Ricardon
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
The handling? Sorry...I'm no Mueller...if you want a detailed explanation, you're asking the wrong person. Like I said...in my opinion if you're not going to track your car extensively, I would opt for Swifts. Thats all.

You don't need to be Mueller to have an opinion or expound on what brought you to your opinion. You need to have a brain, a voice box and a mouth, or in this case fingers and eyes so you can type. Well, from like 90% of what I see on this board, you don't actually need a brain either but that's another story.

Do better than it's my opinion they are bad ass. Then when asked to explain your opinion you say..Iono they just are. WTF is that? I don't care if people put springs on their car. Some people do. Those people are going to come to this thread for info. You are a proponent of springs, and you were even specific about the brand. Swift. So, why do you recommend Swift springs? Think about it, and don't come back with another "I dunno they just are, I'm not Mueller" or else your recommendation holds absolutely no water.

DruMMinStUd06
03-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...most posts I've seen from you are mostly personal attacks and I'm not going to get into a long, drawn out argument with you. Here's my excuse of an explanation:

They are bad ass...they're awesome, like I said before. Its not entirely because of the height; if I wanted to look slammed I would have bought Tein's. I read that they handled better then stock and they had good reviews from almost everyone who installed them. I have shitty tires...I take a corner by my house and I lose my back end on it most of the time. I put these on, surprisingly enough, I don't lose it anymore. Makes me wonder how much it would help even more if I had better gripping tires. So there you go Rich...sorry my brain wasn't functioning properly at 1:30AM.

CN: They handle better then stock, even on shitty tires and even the wheel gap.

Go find a quarrel somewhere else Rich.

x[corwyn]
03-02-2007, 11:12 AM
AlexEvo by your definition of installing coilovers, I could have opened a shop years ago then! WTF was I thinking?! If you think installing coilovers is just sticking them on the car and calling it done and is tougher than putting springs on strut set....Good Luck.

Kinda like I just throw engine parts together is easy and just plug it all up and expect it to work.

Assembly is but the first and easiest part.

x[corwyn]
03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Ryan0 is he put Tein s-techs on (I dont know and Im reading this quikly once again...) I can believe that his tires got screwed up. Its the lowest drop of any uncut springs out there. I know of several people that blew their struts out and have had tire issues even after a decent alignment.

If you gotta use springs, I would avoid the s-techs....

Ricardon
03-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Not looking for a quarrel. Â*And let's not take this to a childish level and just pass it off as me being bitter and only posting personal attacks. Â*Read what I wrote to you again please. Â*I'm looking for information and I'm sick and tired of seeing the posts like your previous one from people. Â*I hope you understand that I'm pretty bitter that the information sections of the site no longer have any any information. Â*All they have is bullshit opinions with no base. Â*My tuner says so. Â*My buddy says so. Â*I think they rock. etc...etc... Â*The post you just posted is actually perfect. Â*That's exactly what I'm looking for! Â*You don't need to be an expert to make a comment about why you like something. Â*You just need to back it up. Â*Tell us why!!! Â*Thank you for posting a more detailed explanation of why you like Swift springs, and I'm being serious.

Â* Â*

Evos4life
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
I just installed my tanabe springs last night pretty nice drop, also i have a MR a lot people said it wouldn't fit, but it fit perfectly.

Ricardon
03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
I just installed my tanabe springs last night pretty nice drop, also i have a MR a lot people said it wouldn't fit, but it fit perfectly.

Do some driving around on them and make sure to come back and post your observations.

DruMMinStUd06
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Not looking for a quarrel. And let's not take this to a childish level and just pass it off as me being bitter and only posting personal attacks. Â*Read what I wrote to you again please. Â*I'm looking for information and I'm sick and tired of seeing the posts like your previous one from people. Â*I hope you understand that I'm pretty bitter that the information sections of the site no longer have any any information. Â*All they have is bullshit opinions with no base. Â*My tuner says so. Â*My buddy says so. Â*I think they rock. etc...etc... Â*The post you just posted is actually perfect. Â*That's exactly what I'm looking for! Â*You don't need to be an expert to make a comment about why you like something. Â*You just need to back it up. Â*Tell us why!!! Â*Thank you for posting a more detailed explanation of why you like Swift springs, and I'm being serious. Â* Â*

Sorry, it just seemed like you were a little bitter. No problem...glad I'm able to give you some feedback.

BHCevo
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
About extreme camber wear and springs....

I waited a week per my mechanics instruction before aligning the car and after spring installation. In that week I basically shot my tires due to extreme wear of the inner (front) edges.

after the alignment that wear went away. so in my experience an alignment should get ride of the lowering spring extreme camber. My mechanic specifically discussed how he was getting rid of the additional camber due to lowering springs. And guess what he did.

All I can think of is that the alignment was not done "properly". Some shops will just get the toe right and send you on your way...because on most cars thats about all you can change anyway.

finalforce
03-11-2007, 03:14 PM
The GF210's from Tanabe work well.

j_nizzle
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
eibach and swift(make sure you get mr-specific) will fit the mr bilstein strut.

swifts drop is 1.4" F and .9" R

eibach is 1.3" all around

EvoPwr
03-11-2007, 03:35 PM
eibach and swift(make sure you get mr-specific) will fit the mr bilstein strut.

swifts drop is 1.4" F and .9" R

eibach is 1.3" all around

What the nizzle said, sometimes he gets it right O0

Evorob
03-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Swift is the way to go if ur gonna get springs guys... They make the best springs out there even for coilover kits many people upgrade to swift springs, for stiffer rates etc... they don't offer a huge drop but a nice drop that looks very clean and they portray decent handling characteristics compared with the stock springs... But if it's me (i'm still on stock suspension) if ur gonna spend 300+ on springs just save some lunch money for some coilovers, I hit the track though so it's worth my while... my .02 cents.

bioman
03-17-2007, 11:42 PM
So, swift is the way to go over hotchkis I suppose.

Where is the cheapest place to buy these springs?

The Emperor
03-30-2007, 08:28 AM
people say that the Tein S-tech suck, but i freaking love mine! it handles just like stock and looks very aggressive.

htsai14752
04-13-2008, 03:25 AM
espelir if you decide on springs

g1ovan13
04-13-2008, 08:25 AM
I have robispec lowering springs. any body else here has it? how much did you pay for it?

boost562
04-14-2008, 11:09 PM
How about Tananbe? I hared those are the best for the Evo. I do mean the Springs, not coilovers.
When I bought my Evo it came dropped already with some orange springs, I have no idea what kind they are, any ideas guys?
Another question??? I have 18x9.5 with 265/35 tires on there, I`d like to get the Tananbe springs but am not sure what drop I should go with. I do want the gap closed with maybe half inch between tire and the fender. Any suggestions?

j_nizzle
04-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I have 18x9.5 with 265/35 tires

i highly recommend coilovers for your setup because of adjustability. camber and ride height, etc. to avoid bottoming out.

the only spring set up i have seen that allows for your setup with very little rubbing is swift. most other springs, you'll have to stick with a 255/35 tire or consider fender rolling.

XIRMOVE
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
How about Kansai HKS Sport Springs which are designed for the MR Bilsteins? O0

RS-EVO-9
07-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I got the swifts and love them. They look great and the ride is great. I wasn't about to go blow a lot of money on a coilover set up that may never see a track. I also didn't want to have to get the suspension tuned all the time.

true grit
07-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Questions on Coilovers and suggestions for Springs. Let say after Coilovers/Pillows are installed, and Wheels are aligned. (1) what if you lowered it, would you need to do an alignment. (2) What is the Best springs would you recommend nowadays to lower about an 1", for a driver that corners Extreme? Than you. Vehicle: 06' EVO SE STOCK

jdm06evo
07-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Anbody have skunk 2 springs

J0SH
08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
eibach pro kit vs swift spec-R !! idk which to get! both will be accompanied with a whiteline RCA kit and whiteline rear sway and endlinks!!

kazevo10
09-08-2011, 12:49 AM
so i just got my swift spec r's in :grin: and whiteline roll center correction kit! hopefully i'll have a review up soon!

j4yr013
12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Swift Spec-R's on Non-MR shocks?

COD_Addict
01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I've decided to get rid of my coilovers and get bilstien shocks with either tanabe gf210's or swifts. Can anyone with either setup help me out? I like the 210 look but i hear swifts handle well.

COD_Addict
01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
And are belstiens the best or are there any other options out there? Thx...

COD_Addict
01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
so i just got my swift spec r's in :grin: and whiteline roll center correction kit! hopefully i'll have a review up soon!

Sorry for the noob question but what is a roll correction kit?

COD_Addict
01-15-2012, 07:51 PM

Do you happen to have a full shot of your car with the springs on? Im very interested in purchasing some.

Check this...http://m.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=471915&highlight=Lowering+spring+picture

garrettquon
01-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Dude chill on the posts... you just quoted something from 6 years ago.

COD_Addict
01-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I realized after the fact. Just a noob trying to be helpfull.....me trying to help=FAIL. Sorry.

jo3y
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Dude chill on the posts... you just quoted something from 6 years ago.
lol