PDA

View Full Version : Head unit installation question

highenuff14
03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Hello,

I am thinking about replacing my existing factory unit with a Sony CDX-GT610Ui or CDX-GT310. I called Circuit City since they are offering free installation on head units over $99, and they said I will need a "kit", I am assuming the bracket that the new Sony will sit in. Then, I went to Crutchfield.com and seleted an 2003 Lancer with 6 speakers and it indicated that there is no bracket needed for installaion.

I will purchase the adapter wiring harness with or with the bracket to make for an easy installation.

So, my question is... If I were to put in either one of those Sony head units mentioned above, do I really need a bracket or would the stock bracket secure the new unit?

Thanks in advance.

ItsMrGqToYou
03-17-2007, 10:50 PM
hey let me help you out i think the meant a wiring kit not the bracket kit so if they try to sell you a bracket kit tell them to f off you don't need it all so i wouldn't go with the Sony go with alpine or pioneer Sony isn't the greatest for car audio anyways let me know how it goes

nicklulu
03-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I did my own install on mine. Bought a wiring adaptor from best buy for $15. the rest you will re-use. The bolt on the bracket for the head unit has thread locker on it. I dremeled the philips bolt to accommodate a flat head. then i used the bolts included on the Sony. Install is not even 15 mins. Soldering the harness to the harness that comes with the Sony head unit will take longer.Â* O0

4g63superboost
08-28-2007, 11:32 PM
u dont need a kit ...u use the stock mounting ....the bolts were a PITA to get off ....atleast mine were ...

silvery_eagle
08-29-2007, 12:00 AM
you'd only need the wiring kit for ur head unit install
i got a sony headunit as well.. forgot what model it is :P

08-29-2007, 09:35 AM
you'd only need the wiring kit for ur head unit install
i got a sony headunit as well.. forgot what model it is :P

yep

nicklulu
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
opt for the quick connect kit so you dont need to cut wires just incase you need to put the stock unit back in.

06evoMR
09-07-2007, 11:41 PM
i picked up the same hu as you. bought the wire harness as well. the factory wire harness on mines is all white -,-

Sr20kidD
09-08-2007, 12:18 AM
99$ you guys are spending way too much... I got a clarion at frys with mp3 playback for 59 plus 15 for the wiring harness..

Evoegg
09-24-2007, 01:28 AM
what type of wiring harness should I get?

thanks =)

Evoegg

dabie
09-24-2007, 07:02 PM
theres only really two kinds.. the normal kind and the one with quick connects

Just get the one for the lancer.

nicklulu
09-24-2007, 08:02 PM
what type of wiring harness should I get?

thanks =)

Evoegg

go to an audio installer, circuirt city, bestbuy, or frys. ask them for a quick connect for a lancer evo, i paid $5 for mine when i bought my head unit at bestbuy

FastForward
09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I just sold the same radio your planning to get. all you need is the wiring harness which you cna get anywhere.Â* I loved that stereo while I had it, the Ipod control comes in real handy.

Evoegg
09-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Just went to Fry's today, they dont have the quick connect thing. but a regular connector that requires some wire work to be done.

$19.95 WTF??

going to try best buy tomorrow.

Evoegg

blkside
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Bro if you cant figure it out let me know and I will hook you up with the install. I can solder it and install it for a coke. It really doesnt take long and you seem to be wasting energy. BB will have it. Let me know so I can bring some tools home.

Evoegg
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the offer bro, I think I can install the audio =) it wont be harder than building a server right? =) But the thing is I have to make sure the wiring I got is for quick connect =)

going to try best buy and circuit city after Lunch =)

BTW I am getting a Pioneer DEH-6900UB, I just cant resist that USB function. + an extra EQ settings.

going to custom a USB connector in my car and see how it goes.

Evoegg