PDA

View Full Version : Gears Of War is makeing a movie!!!

ANTHONY
03-22-2007, 09:26 AM
AT&T Yahoo!Mail Yahoo! SearchSearch:Welcome, sickevoviii@sbcgl...
[Sign Out, My Account]Games HomeHelpGames HelpAT&T Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are seeing this message because you are using an older browser, or you have disabled some functionality in your current browser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video GamesHomePCXbox 360PlayStation 3WiiPSPDSPS2XboxGBAGameCubeXbox 360 Section LinksVideos Cheats News Reviews Previews Get our Weekly NewsletterSearch Video Games: All Games Files Articles Cheats

VIDEO GAME NEWS
New Line grabs Gears of War movie rights
Gears of War movie moves forward as LOTR studio wins film rights; Collateral scribe on board for screenplay, studio targets summer 2009.
By Tim Surette, GameSpot
12:00 am PDT March 21, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

With games being a prime target of film studio execs for source material, it was only a matter of time before Epic Games' Xbox 360 hit Gears of War began its walk down the road to becoming a movie.

Variety is reporting today that New Line Cinema has acquired the movie rights to Gears of War. Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey will produce the film, which is being written by Stuart Beattie (Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, Collateral). No more details of the movie have been released, including crew and release date.

Gears of War, published by Microsoft Game Studios, has won several Game of the Year awards since its release last November. As of mid-January, the game had sold more than 3 million units worldwide.

The next task for the film is to actually get made. Several high-profile movies based on games are still in limbo but slowly moving forward, with Sony working on bringing Metal Gear Solid to the big screen, Jerry Bruckheimer bringing his brand of action to Prince of Persia, and Warner Bros. affiliate Legendary Pictures working on a World of Warcraft movie. Others, such as the big-budget endeavor to bring Halo to the cineplex, have stalled completely.

[UPDATE] Since the announcement, GameSpot has confirmed the report with Epic Games vice president Mark Rein and more details have surfaced. New Line is targeting a summer 2009 release for the game, and Variety predicts that a Gears of War sequel will be timed with the release of the movie.

The trade magazine claims Epic has crafted "an extensive backstory in hopes of utilizing it for a film as well as potential novels," despite criticism of the guarded storyline of the first game.

"We wanted to make an entertainment property that's not just for games but for other media," Rein told Variety.

Screenwriter Beattie's involvement with the project didn't come over a high-priced meal on Sunset Boulevard, but with a simple message sent over Xbox Live. Beattie told Reuters that while playing Gears of War one night, "This New Line exec Jeff Katz dropped me a message in my Xbox Live account saying, 'If we bought the game you're playing right now, would you write it?' And this was back in December. It shows you how on-the-ball New Line was. I'm going to write off my Xbox Live this year, accounting-wise."

Printable view Send Us Your Feedback
RELATED NEWS
Australian 360s bundled with Gears
GDC 07: Cliffy B disassembles Gears, mentions sequel
GDC 07: Gears rolls Developers Choice Awards
GDC 07: Gears writer offers tips, tricks
Gears of War wins GameFly awards
WCG partners with Circuit City
TODAY'S TOP NEWS
Q&A: Mistwalker's Hironobu Sakaguchi
Virtua Tennis 3 demo lobbed onto XBL
360 Guitar Hero II golden
Take-Two takes legal fight to Thompson
All News
RELATED GAME
Gears of War
TODAY'S FEATURES
Virtua Tennis 3
Oblivion: Shivering Isles
The Hollywood Byte #58: Bill Goldberg
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Transformers
TOP TEN VIDEO GAMES
Spider-Man 3
Gears of War
Halo 3
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Halo Wars
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion -- The Shivering Isles
Transformers
NCAA March Madness 07
Bullet Witch

Copyright 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights Reserved. | Copyright/IP Policy | Terms of Service | Help

NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site. To learn more about how we use your information, see our Privacy Policy

DTunedEvoX
03-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Sweet .... Lots of good game2movies comming out .. Hope they dont butcher them ...

Sam Smash
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I will have the first ticket to watch this :) I hope they dont ruin it!!!!!!!

ArBizZzLe
03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
fuck ya!

DTunedEvoX
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
2009 though .... There better be a couple sequels to the game by then lol

*chris*
03-22-2007, 02:28 PM
ohhhhhh MGS and prince of persia?! im there.

grafix43
03-31-2007, 01:51 AM
still wont compare to GOD OF WAR the movie, if thats anything like the game, then its gonna be a bloody mess