PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain

NMREJ6
03-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Can some explain what this person was doing?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1326890#P-1-15

you have to scroll through the pages. It looks like some sort or radar, blinker... I have no clue, but it seems interesting.

Ryukyu
03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
It's a "stealth" install for a V1 radar. If I went through all that trouble putting the screen where the clock went (sick install btw), I wouldnt put the actual detector behind the rear seats with a Mitsu cap over it (not so sick).

NMREJ6
03-22-2007, 07:01 PM
I C . Tnks for the input. I would put something else besides the cap as well. Probs to that person on the install.

It's a "stealth" install for a V1 radar. If I went through all that trouble putting the screen where the clock went (sick install btw), I wouldnt put the actual detector behind the rear seats with a Mitsu cap over it (not so sick).

EVO Neil
03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Nice install. Pretty cool idea.

salukidude
03-23-2007, 01:51 AM
First off, the remote V1 display in the clock location is bas ass!!! That intall is awesome.

But the rest of the setup is weak. I don't have the thing in the ashtray, it's generally for motorcyclist with earphones attached to the jack. I think if you don't connect to the jack, all sounds come from the main unit, which this guy has at the back of the car. The evo is loud, especially with the windows down and/or with the stereo cranked up. I would have a hard time hearing it from the back.

I might try this install, but not with the thing in the ashtray, and I would leave my main unit right above the rearview mirror. It attaches to the roof liner with the clip holder (suction cups are worthless). I've gotten perfect reception with the V1 in between the right side of the rearview mirror and the roof liner, for about two years now...if you know what I mean by perfect...

j_nizzle
03-23-2007, 01:55 AM
meh i would prefer to somehow custom mount the bmw rear view mirror with v1 in it.

EVO Neil
03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
meh i would prefer to somehow custom mount the bmw rear view mirror with v1 in it.

I thought that was cool at first glance but then you still have to mount the base V1 unit so what good does a high mounted display do? You already have that from the main V1 unit. It really does nothing. The remote display idea is so that anyone following doesn't know you are using a detector and see the warning lights while following you. The clock position is at least lower on the dash. I've seen instrument cluster mounted remote displays.

Skiracer
03-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Nothing fancy, but i mounted mine here and i can easily see it

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/113-1347_IMG.JPG

DruMMinStUd06
03-23-2007, 09:06 AM
there was a guy on ebay who took the concealed display of the V1 and made an even thinner one that could be put in the gauge cluster area...or anywhere else for that matter.

EVO Neil
03-23-2007, 09:08 AM
there was a guy on ebay who took the concealed display of the V1 and made an even thinner one that could be put in the gauge cluster area...or anywhere else for that matter.

I have one, but haven't mounted it yet. I could bring it to the SC meet if anyone wants to see it.

Boosted
03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I think thats kinda a crappy place to put it though, how the hell do you read your fuel gauge?

GokuSSJ4
03-23-2007, 10:57 AM
I think thats kinda a crappy place to put it though, how the hell do you read your fuel gauge?
agree...
it looks over crowded... those things need to be place in a different location.

that would help, that way you can mounted just about anywhere.. some one needs to come out with an inside cluster gauge design that can replace the Lancer section for stealth and OEM look ..

DruMMinStUd06
03-24-2007, 01:07 AM

that would help, that way you can mounted just about anywhere.. some one needs to come out with an inside cluster gauge design that can replace the Lancer section for stealth and OEM look ..

I want to contact the guy who makes the custom concealed one but he's not on eBay anymore...or I cant find his auction.

Spec R
05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
this thread makes me want to get a radar detector.

x[corwyn]
05-01-2007, 07:24 PM
The install of the Valentine 1 indicator in the clock area is very slick. The radio install though and the bungee cord of the detector in the rear is very ghetto. 1 out of 3 I suppose.

I like the stealth setup. I bought another cover for the gearshift area so I can cut it up and put things like an EBC and maybe the TT there as well. Just havent bought one yet though to install.... Maybe I could put the valentine 1 setup in there as well...hmmmmmmmmmmm

Spec R
05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
]
The install of the Valentine 1 indicator in the clock area is very slick. The radio install though and the bungee cord of the detector in the rear is very ghetto. 1 out of 3 I suppose.

I like the stealth setup. I bought another cover for the gearshift area so I can cut it up and put things like an EBC and maybe the TT there as well. Just havent bought one yet though to install.... Maybe I could put the valentine 1 setup in there as well...hmmmmmmmmmmm

post pics please haha

kimletrim
05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
I sold my extra clock to a guy that did this kind of setup.