PDA

View Full Version : Evo X vs. '08 STI

malevlnt2
04-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Anyone have any opinions regarding the new June 2007 Road and Track (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=5211)Â*article comparing the new Evo X and the new '08 STI?

RgistRdShowoffIX
04-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Clear cut choice: EvoX FTW. ;)....

in the looks department at least.

I read Sport Compact Car's article on the new WRX and STI and from teh looks of it it's gonna be tuning from teh ground up as almost everything's different. The Legacy tuners have a leg up on the tuning tho since it's an excised EJ25 from the Legacy line.

I think the both are going to do really well again. But this time around more EvoX's are gonna be seen on the street than STI.

malevlnt2
04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
i know both are supposed to be the latest and greatest, but does anyone know of there's any aftermarket "tuner" interest?

after all, there's always room for improvement, right?Â* ;)

j_nizzle
04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
i know both are supposed to be the latest and greatest, but does anyone know of there's any aftermarket "tuner" interest?

after all, there's always room for improvement, right? ;)

the evo is completely different layout so i would wait a year or two for any tuners to really be able to improve "problem areas" if any on the car.

the suby is still a boxer motor and shares a lot of similarities with most suby motors so i think the aftermarket there will pick up more quickly.

RgistRdShowoffIX
04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
It's gonna take especially long with the X since the Japanese tuners have to wait til after the NA release to get their cars..

G20
04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
i like both this time and probably will own both.

malevlnt2
04-26-2007, 11:34 AM
even though i'm still building my IX, i kinda like the X. the only concern i have is the aluminum block.

x[corwyn]
04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
It sounds like the Evo X is the better car, performance, looks, and handling. The issue with aftermarket is going to be pretty interesting though. The previous Evos enjoyed the last 15 years of having practically the same engine with minor changes. The Evo IX took about a year for the mods to show and after a year and a half are finally getting the parts that the previous Evos had. The X is completely different so I would say a year at least before mods come out beyond the cheesy BS parts that come out first.

Also anyone have any idea on how hard its going to be to hack the ECU? I dont think its going to be as easy as the change from VIII to IX was. Hopefully Mitsubishi doesnt go agro on making it hard like the S2000 is. One of the big reasons I avoided the S2000 was the mods and tuning were not cheap. I'm also curious how much abuse with the 4B11T take compared to the 4G63. Its aluminum and a completely different design. While being lighter will it be able to take the 500+hp we have seen the stock block take on the 4G63?

The Evo X is going to be a bitchen car but I think Modded VIIIs and IXs will be faster for a bit yet. I would let the people that have to be early adopters take the hit of MSRP+added on shank you in the butt dealer add on costs, and no real mods. Wait until its been out at least a year and the cost will go down and the mods will be there....Plus there will be used models if you want to go even cheaper.

Macky
04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
even though i'm still building my IX, i kinda like the X. the only concern i have is the aluminum block.

There are a lot of more powerful engines out there that have aluminum blocks (and heads). remember, its not pure aluminum, but an alloy (i.e. other metals are present to make it stronger). it will just be inherently lighter than a cast iron block (current Evo). its not so much that it wont be able to handle the stress (im pretty sure they've addressed that), but long-term longevity would be the issue-at-hand.

malevlnt2
04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
...long-term longevity would be the issue-at-hand.

+1

gen4k20a2
04-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I was under that impression that mitsu i likely to give cars to tuners early so that they can have parts out. Thus this will tease buyers to buy their car with the performance upgrade options. the void warranties HAHAHA

2.0 wonder
04-26-2007, 02:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the new DB11 2.0 liter all aluminum but cast iron sleeved?

BHCevo
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Evo estimated curb weight: 3500 lbs! Â*

STi estimated curb weight: 3300 lbs

I understand the regulatory pressures that add weight to a car but its just criminal that the evo is gonna gain 200 lbs.

Especially considering the sti will have more power and weigh 200 lbs less...

BHCevo
04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Nothing wrong with a well designed aluminum block.

I wouldn't be surprised if its not as sturdy as the 4g63....they'd be foolish to overdesign it, adding weight
and cost. Of course this is a very general statement...details matter a lot.

Will there be an NA application for the 4b11?

x[corwyn]
04-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Nothing wrong with a well designed aluminum block.

I wouldn't be surprised if its not as sturdy as the 4g63....they'd be foolish to overdesign it, adding weight
and cost. Of course this is a very general statement...details matter a lot.

Will there be an NA application for the 4b11?

Yes. Its on the New 2008 Lancer.

BHCevo
04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Too bad.

The 4g63 was pretty much only used in turbo applications. It was also used as the WRC mitsu motor.
Probably the big reason it was so overdesigned cause it needed to serve in a race application as well.

I think maybe the 4g63 saw an NA application in the galant waaay back.

The 4B11 is gonna be the lancer NA motor econo engine (modern though). Then they are gonna slap a turbo on it for the evo. I've no reason to believe that they wont do a fine job of massaging it but its gonna be a far cry from a race engine (4g63).

Its all speculation how good the 4b11T will actually be...motors get better and better every year, plenty of non-race engines have proved to be quite moddable etc... Thought I'd point out some obvious analysis though.

malevlnt2
04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4B_engine

now, if i only knew what that stuff means... ;)

BHCevo
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
LOL. Where do you think I got my info from?

My previous post is an analysis based on info from that and the 4g63 wiki entry.

And no worries I know what it means.

leaveit2bevo
04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
I wonder if the ralliart(if it is the same motor and awd) will steal some of the aftermarket stuff from the X

malevlnt2
04-27-2007, 10:56 AM
my buddy went from an STi to an Evo and couldn't believe how much more comfortable it is and how well it handled.Â* Â*^-^

with all these oem suspension improvements, i wonder which will ride and handle better?Â* Â*:?

bash
04-27-2007, 11:28 AM
wow SHOCKED on the pricing! I was told by the the owner of our socal mitsu dealers that evoX would be mid 40's !!!

malevlnt2
04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
wow SHOCKED on the pricing! I was told by the the owner of our socal mitsu dealers that evoX would be mid 40's !!!

i'm sure that's because they're going to wanna screw all the early adapters and add on a bigass $$$$ markup.

bash
04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
obviously depends on demand but knowing abbas he would probably sell at a price that makes other mitsu dealers scream haha, he did buy like 10 2006 sti's from another dealer and dropped the price from 34k to 29k , just to piss off the subi dealer across the street haha.

funks
08-11-2007, 09:37 PM
definitely EVOX. Alot of people are getting older and want a more refined car (which IMHO, the EVOX provides). I can't see myself driving a hatchback.

moogle
09-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't care about the mods, if they come that is tight. I just want the car.

myersap93
10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Anybody read the later article on EVO X vs STI vs BMW 335i? he Beemer actually came out looking good on that one :-\