PDA

View Full Version : ? on setting knock control on AEM EMS and other safeguards....

GQ 05YellowEVO8
04-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Hello, I was hoping I can get some insight on what I'm looking at on my laptop when I connect to the AEM EMS on my EVO. First thing I wannna look at is how knock control is set up. The knock control box is checked so I know its working.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/Charlee123abc/AEM3.jpg
What does this graph mean? To me it looks like the higher you go in RPM's the more likely you'll hit knock.... so on the y-axis, if there is knock, the line is the limit of how much knock is considered acceptable before fuel is added and timing is pulled for a safe measure... is my interpretation correct?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/Charlee123abc/AEM2.jpg
Secondly, what am I looking at here? I'm having a hard time making sense of the numbers in the box.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/Charlee123abc/AEM1.jpg
Lastly when the car is off, and w/o me toughing the gas pedal the throttle % reads like 1.00 or so when in actuality it should read 0%

when I floor the gas it goes up to 98.97% or so when in actuality it should read 100% WOT if the gas is floored. How do I correct/calibrate this? Will my tune be thrown off if I recalibrated this? How do I go about doing it?

Alfred@TTech
04-28-2007, 06:36 PM
You have the basic idea for the knock control function and how it works (there is more to it though and how it calculates the actual threshhold). One of the first things you should do is set up the throttle range for your EVO. The instructions on doing this are on the AEM PDF guide for the EVO, its really easy. If you need more help feel free to pm me.

Alfred

GQ 05YellowEVO8
04-28-2007, 08:29 PM
You have the basic idea for the knock control function and how it works (there is more to it though and how it calculates the actual threshhold). One of the first things you should do is set up the throttle range for your EVO. The instructions on doing this are on the AEM PDF guide for the EVO, its really easy. If you need more help feel free to pm me.

Alfred

Thanks Alfred for your feedback. On evom someone told me to go to configure->Throttle range--> and then i set it up based on the instructions. Now everything reads correctly. With my foot off the gas throttle % reads 0 and with the gas floored it reads 100%.

Will this throw off anything? since beofore it was slighly off?

Alfred@TTech
04-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Well it may affect your idle depending on how you have it setup but overall it shouldnt change too much. Its really best to do this before you do any tuning along with making sure there is no timing drift as engine rpm increases from idle speed. I have seen some basic tutorials in lay terms that do a good job of describing how to do it. If you have more questions just ask. Good Luck

Alfred

tabio42
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
All of the knock options info/descriptions you are looking for is found in the EMS guide which is a pdf file that comes with the EMS software. You have to set your own knock threshold as each engine makes a different amount of noise internally.

GQ 05YellowEVO8
08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
All of the knock options info/descriptions you are looking for is found in the EMS guide which is a pdf file that comes with the EMS software. You have to set your own knock threshold as each engine makes a different amount of noise internally.

Ohh ok

My tuner set all the parameters of knock control, boost cut, and alky failsafes for me during our tuning session....