PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a IX

Driving_Miss_Daisy
05-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I just bought my evo 9 and am looking to drop some money into it. This is what I am looking at getting. What else would I need before I tune? Also what platform due you guys tune with? I would like a 91 and 96 octane map.

K&N drop in filter.
Indiva O2 housing
Agency Power 3" DP
3" catback, unkown right now
HFC.
Fuel pump.
Boost controller, unkown at this time also. Any recommendations?

Please let me know. Thanks for the help

thisxguy
05-10-2007, 07:23 PM
where do you buy 96 octane?

get the dejon tool mbc...its cheap but it works great

your mods are fine

...you can add cams if you want

Driving_Miss_Daisy
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Cams will void warrenty to much.

I get 96 octane by using Torco. I used it in my Subaru and had it tuned for it. 1 quart of torco mixed with 10 gallons of 91 equals 96 octane. Plus it is $180 shipped for 5 gallons of it. It can treat up to 200 gallons. The person I bought it from uses it in vette and gets about 600whp with it. He has been using it for years with no problems.

thisxguy
05-10-2007, 07:40 PM
180 shipped for only 5 gallons? damn. luckily near my girlfriends house the 76 station sells VP racing 100 octane for 6.99/gallon...it used to be 4.99 a couple months ago

SpdyEvo02
05-10-2007, 07:42 PM
i wouldn't worry about losing warrenty with cams

Driving_Miss_Daisy
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I did a lot of research and this stuff was a lot cheaper to use then race fuel. Â*Also more convenient. Â*I can fill up at any station.

boostinbyyou
05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
injectors...

1WkdEvo
05-10-2007, 08:12 PM
If he isnt getting cams and/or a bigger turbo, he is probably ok with stock injectors on the IX

nj1266
05-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Skip the boost controller and have your tuner control the boost using the ECU boost tables and using a smaller pill in the boost hoses on the turbo side.

EvoJoe
05-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Cams will void warrenty to much.

I get 96 octane by using Torco. I used it in my Subaru and had it tuned for it. 1 quart of torco mixed with 10 gallons of 91 equals 96 octane. Plus it is $180 shipped for 5 gallons of it. It can treat up to 200 gallons. The person I bought it from uses it in vette and gets about 600whp with it. He has been using it for years with no problems.

I've been interested in using the Torco Accelerator fuel consentrate for quite some time now. How did you figure out when you had 10 gallons in your gas tank when you added your Torco fuel consentrate?

DTunedEvoX
05-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Your list looks fine ... You can go with the ecu controled boost type of you wish... If you opt for a MBC -pick your poison- plenty have success with a dejon tool - simple effective ..
If you want to splurge- ebc ...

Hit up a meet and ask a few of the locals ... Cant go wrong w/ ECUFlash ...
P.S. Someone can definitely tune you for your "Torco" ... Still isnt cost effective ... I used to use Toulene - but became much more of a hassle- not to mention you drying out your lines with torco/toulene etc ... Race Gas > it ....

ChrisF
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Welcome Miss Daisy. :)

List sounds good. For map switching there are only a couple of options:

1. buy a Tactrix cable so that once the maps are done, you can flash the car yourself. Cable is about $85.
and you just need a laptop to do it.
2. buy a Piggyback computer like an XEDE with map switching.

PM me also for some other info.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
05-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I've been interested in using the Torco Accelerator fuel consentrate for quite some time now. How did you figure out when you had 10 gallons in your gas tank when you added your Torco fuel consentrate?

The person I buy the torco from had it tested at a lab.Â* He took 10 gallons of Chevron gas and mixed it with 1 quart of Torco and had them test it.Â* It came out to 96.5 octane. I trust this guy. He has a very highly tuned Corvette and he runs Torco.

As far as map switching. I wanted the Cobb, they where great when I had my STi, but who knows when they will come out with it. I might just pick up a cable and use my work labtop to switch maps.

As far as the Dejon Tool. Is it something you just set and forget and the ECu does the rest or do you have to adjust it everytime you change maps?

Thanks for all the help. I just was not sure about injectors. I will do those when I go to cams, one fo these days.

EvoJoe
05-11-2007, 09:50 PM

The person I buy the torco from had it tested at a lab.Â* He took 10 gallons of Chevron gas and mixed it with 1 quart of Torco and had them test it.Â* It came out to 96.5 octane. I trust this guy. He has a very highly tuned Corvette and he runs Torco

Lol. I believe you. I just thought you had already tried this on your Evo and you have figured out when to add the Torco to your gas tank when you had approximately 10 gallons. I want to to run the Torco Accelerator in my Evo and the guys at Torco advised me that 1 bottle to 5 gallons of 91 octane would achieve about 104 octane. Sounds like a great alternative to expensive race gas. I'm paying 8.50/gallon for Sunoco 104 octane at my local Unocal. Anyway, good luck on your mods. Looks like you have the potential for a fast IX.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
05-12-2007, 09:19 AM

The person I buy the torco from had it tested at a lab. He took 10 gallons of Chevron gas and mixed it with 1 quart of Torco and had them test it. It came out to 96.5 octane. I trust this guy. He has a very highly tuned Corvette and he runs Torco

Lol. I believe you. I just thought you had already tried this on your Evo and you have figured out when to add the Torco to your gas tank when you had approximately 10 gallons. I want to to run the Torco Accelerator in my Evo and the guys at Torco advised me that 1 bottle to 5 gallons of 91 octane would achieve about 104 octane. Sounds like a great alternative to expensive race gas. I'm paying 8.50/gallon for Sunoco 104 octane at my local Unocal. Anyway, good luck on your mods. Looks like you have the potential for a fast IX.

STi tank was 16 gallons. I would fill up and add 1.5 quarts. That would give me about 95-96 octane. Then I knew on my gas gauge when I was about 10 gallons down. Then just add a quart at fill up.

Evo will be about the same but 14 gallon tank. I just have to sit down and figure out the math.

Evo8you
05-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I just bought my evo 9 and am looking to drop some money into it. This is what I am looking at getting. What else would I need before I tune? Also what platform due you guys tune with? I would like a 91 and 96 octane map.

K&N drop in filter.
Indiva O2 housing
Agency Power 3" DP
3" catback, unkown right now
HFC.
Fuel pump.

Please let me know. Thanks for the help

Skip the o2 housing and go with the LICP . Dejon tool MBC. Get the ECU Flash and get 2 maps done. it is not a big hassle to change maps and adjust the MBC as some people think. you looking at around 320awhp and 320 trq give or take. We also have our full 3inch turbo back stealth exhaust that includes a OBD2 highflow cat and a race pipe.

Good luck on your MOD path.