PDA

View Full Version : More than I expected

jnathan68
05-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I wanted to thank everyone at TT for the excellent experience I had today!

Not only was the service great but 330hp and 320tq....I can't be more pleased

06 IX Mods -

Works 70mm DP
Works HFC
Greddy Ti catback
ARC Intake
Samco Intake hose
Dejohn MBC set at 22.5psi
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Technologies Tuning tune
91 octane

Graph below-

atlvalet
05-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I am assuming that this was an Evo 9.

silvrEVOIXn818
05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Nice #'s! I think I need to make it out there!

Timujin
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
That's what I am talking about. Good stuff.

fusionchicken
05-10-2007, 11:27 PM
I am assuming that this was an Evo 9.

it has to be :)

that's some nice power considering the weather recently, especially with the HFC!!!

MR. Birdie
05-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Good numbers!

jello810
05-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Congrats! Nice Stats.

SNEAKYEVO
05-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Nice numbers! I'm going in tomorrow to place my order. I got the Greddy Ti C. How do you like it? Why didn't you get cams? I'm debating if I should or not. Extra grand for install and also with head studs. We'll see. Congrats again.

Smogrunner
05-11-2007, 05:32 AM
How does it feel on the road?

1WkdEvo
05-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Two threads for the same thing???

smokinevo9
05-11-2007, 07:57 AM

+1

DruMMinStUd06
05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
he's just that happy

nice numbers by the way

GokuSSJ4
05-11-2007, 09:00 AM

+1
loll at least this one has a dyno sheet ....

jnathan68
05-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes, two threads...sorry about that. Just wanted to give TT a good review in the buyers corner and this is my happy thread.

In regards to my exhaust, the catback is the Greddy Titanium (not the new Ti-C) so I cannot judge how the Ti-C works/sounds.

The car is a IX (updated original post)

I didn't do the cams because I was trying to stick to bolt ons only....actually had to be "talked" into an MBC.

What can I say, the car feels great.

Just an FYI to anyone thinking about the ARC intake box...Alfred found it really leaned out my car. He was able to compensate in the tune but something to note for those adding the box without a tune.

GokuSSJ4
05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, two threads...sorry about that. Just wanted to give TT a good review in the buyers corner and this is my happy thread.

In regards to my exhaust, the catback is the Greddy Titanium (not the new Ti-C) so I cannot judge how the Ti-C works/sounds.

The car is a IX (updated original post)

I didn't do the cams because I was trying to stick to bolt ons only....actually had to be "talked" into an MBC.

What can I say, the car feels great.

Just an FYI to anyone thinking about the ARC intake box...Alfred found it really leaned out my car. He was able to compensate in the tune but something to note for those adding the box without a tune.
usually that happens to be the case with most intakes in general without tuning. One huge reason why a wide band always helps for you to determine how lean or rich the car happens to be at.

atlvalet
05-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Lean = good, in the sense that it's probably allowing more air into the system.

jnathan68
05-11-2007, 02:45 PM

Boost can and has been successfully controlled using the ECU. You do not need an MBC. There are many pro and amatuer tuners controlling boost using the ECU. I did that on my old Evo 8. There are two advantages to ECU boost control: 1. It is stealth which is good with dealers and cops. 2. You can control and manipulate separate section of the boost curve. You cannot do that with an MBC. That is why tuners that use an MBC spike the boost to 22 psi on 91 octane gas because if they do not, then the boost will taper way below their liking by redline. With ECU boost control you do not have to spike the boost you simply set it @ 20 psi and hold the rest of the boost curve to about the same level. 22 psi on 91 octane @ peak boost is too high IMO. That is with an Evo 8. I have not exprimented with my 9 yet.

Thanks for the info. I am not an expert by any means (more of a beginner in the turbo world) so I did my research. Found that most of the respected tuners in the industry do not control boost taper using the ECU, although I did find that Works has a flash package that includes some extra parts to control taper.

I don't know exactly why (again, beginner at this) but based on TT's reputation and having seen the power and reliability of their tunes, I followed their recommendation. As far as 22.5 for peak boost, it is my understanding that the IX can handle higher peaks than the VIII and I was assured that it was safe (based on the parameters of the tune).

I agree with you on the MBC not being stealthy and requiring adjustment based on temperature but decided to go for it knowing I can remove it in couple hours (or less) if necessary.

atlvalet
05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I am not an expert by any means (more of a beginner in the turbo world) so I did my research. Found that most of the respected tuners in the industry do not control boost taper using the ECU, although I did find that Works has a flash package that includes some extra parts to control taper.
Controlling boost by the ECU is more recent than controlling boost by MBC. Not all tuners know how to do it. Some do, however. In SoCal I do not know of a pro tuner that knows how to do it. I suspect that Alfred does not know how to do it, hence the use of an MBC. The Works flash does a great job controlling boost. The main mechanical part that is used is a pill that is inserted in the hose on the turbo side. This spill replaces and has a smaller rifice than the stock pill. Then the tuner changes the boost tables in the ECU to control the boost. The Works flash is excellent @ controlling boost, but aside from that it is really a poor flash.

I don't know exactly why (again, beginner at this) but based on TT's reputation and having seen the power and reliability of their tunes, I followed their recommendation.
I suspect that Alfred does not know how to use the ECU to control boost and it is easier for you to turn a knob when you want to turn down your boost rather than fiddle around with the boost tables since you are a beginner.

As far as 22.5 for peak boost, it is my understanding that the IX can handle higher peaks than the VIII and I was assured that it was safe (based on the parameters of the tune).
I have not tested how much boost the 9 can handle, but from my testing on an 8, 22 psi is too much on 91 octane. I read that an Evo 9 can handle 23 psi @ peak w/o knock, but I will do my own testing before I believe this. Also keep in mind that on a dynojet (not a load dyno) a car is less likely to knock than on the street. Testing on the street puts more load than testing on the dyno.

I agree with you on the MBC not being stealthy and requiring adjustment based on temperature but decided to go for it knowing I can remove it in couple hours (or less) if necessary.

It is also easier to adjust than the ECU boost tables. But once you use ECU boost control and learn how to do it, you will not go back ot an MBC.

I know you don't like Alfred, but to speculate that he doesn't know how to tune boost with the stock ECU is disingenuous. He tunes the XEDE just fine, and he does it without using an MBC. Thanks for the ad hominem attack.

Timujin
05-11-2007, 10:24 PM
How does the car feel when you floor it from 1st-5th shifting at 4000RPM?

atlvalet
05-12-2007, 12:30 AM
I know you don't like Alfred, but to speculate that he doesn't know how to tune boost with the stock ECU is disingenuous. He tunes the XEDE just fine, and he does it without using an MBC. Thanks for the ad hominem attack.

It is not an attack on Alfred. It is a FACT that no pro-tuner in SoCal knows how to use the ECU to control boost. If they
knew, then we would have read about it on Socal Evo.

There are only two pro tuners in CA that I know of that do this; Works and Bryan @ GST. If Alfred knew, then he would not recommend an MBC. Infact, if he knew it would have been used as a selling point.

The control of boost with the XEDE is FAR FAR easier to set-up than controlling boost with the ECU.

Stating FACTS is not an attack on anyone. It is simply stating FACTS.

Ummm, where to begin.

Not to get into a debate over semantics, but here we go...

Suddenly your speculation is now a "FACT." In "FACT," it only took one post for your speculation to transmogrify into a fact. Your speculation, sadly, is still speculation.

Your talk of ECU-based boost control as a selling point, and that if--by extension--Alfred didn't utilize said boost-control feature as a selling feature is evidence of his ignorance is pure conjecture on your part.

And just because you only know of 2 tuners that use the ECU to control boost doesn't mean there aren't more. I would hazard a guess that Scot Gray knows how to do it. If you are going to suggest that Scot isn't a pro, last time I checked he was tuning Evos and DSMs as a for-profit business.

Finally, coming in to a TT forum and suggesting/speculating/stating facts that Alfred is an ignorant tuner is only meant to cause trouble. You could have easily sent a pm. Remember, that's how you "warned" me about TT?

MoReRyCe
05-12-2007, 01:13 AM
ok.. well just go back to the original post instead of polutting this thread..

Nice Numbers man...

Evo8urv8
05-12-2007, 01:22 AM
I wished I got (at least) 330 on mine on 91 :-(

Nice numbers, by the way O0

jnathan68
05-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Ok, gentleman, I understand that the subject of whether to control boost with an ECU vs. a MBC (or EBC for that matter) is one that can be debated, and admit that even I would love to read more on the subject.Â*

However, my car is already tuned, I love the results and service TT gave me, and I just wanted to post the numbers in this thread.Â* Feel free to start another thread in regards to this subject so that we all can be informed and hear all sides.Â*

As far as how the car feels shifting at 4000rpm, it feels fine although, as you see on the graph and feel when driving, the car is really starting to pull at that point and I have to use all my will power to shift :grin:

1WkdEvo
05-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Without getting into this argument too much, please accept the possibility that because Alfred, Scot or any other tuner in socal prefers the use of mbc over ecu boost control does in FACT mean they do not know how to use it, but could in FACT mean they CHOOSE not to. I am not stating that they do not know how, but rather demonstrating that not using this method only factually demonstrates that they don't use it, not that they do not know how. It could be ignorance or it could just be preference.

1WkdEvo
05-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I am not disagreeing with you at all, just trying to demonstrate that from a semantics perspective there is currently no factual evidence that Alfred, Scot, Charlie, Joe socal evo tuner, do not KNOW how to control boost via the ecu. Perhaps the option is offered because they simply do not like it. Hell I don't know why :-)