PDA

View Full Version : symptoms of a broken transfer case 2005 Evo RS

suprapotential
05-14-2007, 12:16 PM
what are some symptoms of a locked transfer case ? i was driving down the street and 2-3 blocks away from my house the car locked up and skidded to a stop. I hooked up the car to my truck and dragged it home. did my transfercase lock up ?

nlakind
05-14-2007, 12:30 PM
my transfer case went out on my 03' but it never locked up, mine just started making this horrible grinding sound that literally hurt your ears but i had it taken care of right away...i didn't wait long enough to see if it would've locked up

05-EVO-GSR
05-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Have you been popping the clutch at high RPM's?

suprapotential
05-15-2007, 09:04 AM
well i did have a very bad grinding noise like bad bearings coming from the engine area (which i assume to be my center diff/transfer case) thats why when it locked up thats what im pointing my finger at. plus ive heard alot of bad things about the t cases.

Miss Evo8
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
this couldn't have been an "all of a sudden" thing... where u launching the car? what kind of abuse have u been subjecting the car to? and you hooked it up and dragged it home? :buck2:

suprapotential
05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
the car has been launched and raced a few times. i never said it was an all of a sudden thing. i said i was going down the street and it locked up (probally finally). there seemed to be a metal on metal grinding noise coming from the front. im suspecting the transfer case/center diff because thats where the previous noise was coming from. how would i diagnose which part of the drivetrain it would be ?

EVOMANIAC
05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Take out the tranny and transfer case and send them to Shep Trans and have him built them both the right way and use the fluids he recommends and you will be good to go.

suprapotential
05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Take out the tranny and transfer case and send them to Shep Trans and have him built them both the right way and use the fluids he recommends and you will be good to go.

cool but that doesnt answer my question. i didnt ask who to send my stuff out to to get built. thanks

RRE-Shop
05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Drain your fluids. If it comes out looking worse than dirty oil, you might have problems. EVOMANIAC's idea isn't so bad if you have the scratch to afford it.

suprapotential
05-27-2007, 11:24 PM
well i droped the driveshaft in the middle. rear section spins freely front section does not. so i guess my bearings at my tcase alive. my new one should be coming in the next few days from mitsu.

JDMC-WestEVO
05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
sounds like tranny to me i had same problem check all fluids.

suprapotential
05-28-2007, 08:52 PM
hmmm well its not the tranny the trans is fine. the front wheels turn just fine and the fluid is full and free of metal.

EvoRacer619
05-31-2007, 06:53 PM
I thought you were a tech? at KM toyota?

suprapotential
05-31-2007, 11:12 PM
yeah im a tech at TOYOTA not MITSUBISHI. i know dsms pretty good but im learnging the evo. i already found out it was the transfercase. i was just asking the board to find my answear a little faster due to work and the car being at home i couldnt find time the past couple weeks to rip apart the car and find out what is wrong myself and thats what i ended up doing.