PDA

View Full Version : Greddy Oil Catch Can Mod - Thoughts?

Wicked05
06-11-2007, 09:36 AM
So I had some time this weekend to reflect on the dirty oil that is possibly recycling through my motor.Â* I was looking into some Catch Tanks and found a great idea from the DC3 units I've seen.

Since I'm too cheap to go out and shell out another $120 bucks...I decided to modify my old Greddy Catch can.

Let me know what you guys think?Â* I'm thinking the Steel is entwined enough where I will not have any issues...

But not sure...what do you guys think...I'm worried about metal shavings entering the manifold.....

Wicked05
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
more pics

Wicked05
06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
more pics

Jdm9
06-15-2007, 07:10 PM
can someone enlighten me on what the steel pad is for?

Terenus
06-15-2007, 11:15 PM
I also don't understand what you're trying to do with that scrubbing material.

smokinevo9
06-15-2007, 11:27 PM
can someone enlighten me on what the steel pad is for?

thats where he keeps all his straight shooter and brilloboy....................lol

Wicked05
06-15-2007, 11:34 PM
the idea was to condense the oily air quicker...so it would drip faster to the bottom....

guess i had too much time on my hands....catch tank ended up in car w/o metal SOS pad anyways...lol...

MoReRyCe
06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
it wont help wut you are trying to do.. oil will come in small spurs depending on how you punch the car n so on.. the amount of oil that will pass by there is very tiny.. maybe about 1/4 of a quart every 8k miles..
again.. depending on how you drive.. the only benifit to the idea that you have that i see.. is the fact that the pad could be in there for some hard core racers who go through some extreme g's... the oil will not sloush around inside and will be held down by the pad... thats what i thought you were doing in the first place ... but... yea.. thats all i see.. just letting you know..

EVOMANIAC
06-16-2007, 01:10 PM
The brillo pad works as a mechanical scrubber. In theory it should help keep the oil vapor from just flowing through the catch can into the intake. I dont know for sure how this will work on a car, but I know it works great on distilling plants.

gsrIXevo
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
i'm real close to trying this... i know this is an old post.. but the idea he has makes sense.. however it would be better if u tried it out.. or aleast try hooking the hose up to a bike pump and pump air through to see how easy it comes back through....

the only issue i see with it.. is that if the pad gets soaked with oil and the vacum effect may still pull some oil out as most of the vapor condense ... however the others use something simlar to steel brilo padding.... but i would think the pad would have a hard time breaking down...being that it would be coved in oil..... .02cent...

how much blow by does an evo produce?

Wicked05
07-10-2007, 07:36 AM
i've tried it and the air does come back through...

I've re-visited this idea over and over again...and I still think it will work....but now everyone's got me paranoid about small metal bits and what not...so I've back out of doing this.

A couple guys I know who have Subies are looking to do this on their cars...they think it would work as well.....

As far as blowby...not too sure on that one...I know some say they only see a bit of oil after driving a long time with their cans in place...

gsrIXevo
07-11-2007, 04:51 PM
yes.. with blow by.. you can really just leave the can and u may never have to dump out the old oil for atleast a year...lol

now when it comes to metal shavings.. if you are not undoing the stainless steel pads.. then u will not have to worry about metal shavings.. because u never have to force the steel pads into the catch can... (that is with this greedy because you can open it...) now also the catch can should never produce so much pressure that it would start to suck up extra oil... the best way to do this.. is to some how set up one side to kinda get a funnel'd have a quater of the way down and then have a steel pad on the other side or at the bottom so that it causes the oil to condense....

one reall test that you can try.. is to get a steel pad.. and then put that pad in a powerade bottle and then put some old oil or new oild into the bottle and just close it off and shake it up everday for like 2mins a day for a week... this way you will see if the pad ever breaks down due to being soaked in oil and enclosed... i'm sure we both will be fine.. because i am about to by the greedy catch can only because we can get into it easy and put the pads in there....

gsrIXevo
07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
one other question.. after you even put the greedy catch can back in as is... did u ever notice that there was less oil in the intake hose.... because if it cut the oil in the intake hose down to rarely...then we could just leave the catch can alone ... until u run bigger boost or a bigger turbo....