PDA

View Full Version : First time to a tuner ^_^ (the 5 bagillionth Tuning Tech experience thread)

Abner
06-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I arrived at 12:30 while the crew was having lunch. I was offered some lasagna but I politely refused like how we asians do... :roll:
Anyway, Alfred started asking me questions about my car (with his mouth full)(j/k) and I decided to get a flash and do away with my xede. (got one for sale btw)
So after lunch, The crew starts installing a MBC and this is where I get annoying. Like I said in the title, this is the first time to a shop. The only other person that has touched my car is Abby (WOT). The guys that have gone to Abby know about the lonely walk to the shopping plaza and this is why he does that. As my car is getting worked on, Im peering over shoulders, asking questions; the whole lot. I try to restrain myself as much as possible knowing that I hate it when someone does that to me when I work. So Im chain smoking in front of the garage, giving furtive glances in the direction of my car, and trying to give everyone space. But I keep going back and peering in. Im surprised noone banned me to the office to sit by myself.
Okay, so the MBC is in. Alfred is telling me he's gonna take the exede out and...I have a request.
I want to get a baseline dyno run of my car with the exede. This means strapping down the car on the dyno, doing a run, THEN uninstalling the exede which Alfred does for free.
Alfred agrees, rather amiably, has the guys strap the car down, and we get on with the base line run.
The car is putting down 293hp and 300 tq
Not bad...
Here's the bad...
The car has 38 counts of knock in one segment of the rpm range after 5k.
Alfred said he's never seen anything like this before and I just kinda stare at him...dumbfounded
I was running a map that I downloaded online. I originally got the xede so that I can learn to tune it myself but I never found anytime to really get into it. I dont think the tune took into account some of mods and it the car was running lean.
After reassuring me that the engine is strong and I haven't damaged it catastrophically with my stupidity, Alfred unhooks the exede and goes to work.
Alfred was in the car for about 1 1/2 hours. It was over 100 degrees in the shop and I dont know how he managed NOT to stain my seats with man sweat but good job!
First pull, 280 hp 260 torque: wtf? "on 16 pounds" Alfred yells over the huge fans.
niice....
Im doing numbers in my head (okay...so like 10 hp for every pound of boost,right? and we're going to...22 psi so....)
Of course, Im a dumbass and that in noway is true.
A few more pulls and we're over the 300 mark.
Final numbers end up being 303hp 318tq!
So, yea, Im happy. Almost 20 more torque, 10 more hp, and a safe engine.
Also, in some places, there was an increase of 50hp above 5k. It looked like the car was pulling massive timing where it was previously knocking really badly.
Acceleration is also extremely smooth. I cant explain it quite well, but power delivery is so smooth that it's scary. No more waiting for boost to hit then all hell breaking loose. Just the initial torque or the turbo kicking in and a steady climb. Cruising on the freeway home, I noticed I was doing 95 mph without even noticing. Its almost an eerie feeling going so fast with the car running so smoothly.

To be honest, I was hoping for a little more hp, but after looking at the dyno charts, I figure Im right around the same range as everyone else with the same mods. All the runs were on 91 oct and the dyno charts show it at 101 degrees.

For those that are interested, here are the mods that count:
3inch TBE /w highflow cat
hks cams 272 i/e
fidanza adj cam gears -3/-3
walbro 255 fuel pump
buschur lower intercooler pipe
dejon MBC 22psi
05 evo VIII 18k miles

Thanks again Alfred and crew!!
The 160 mile round trip was worth it.
Im gonna go out and drive some more now.

(p.s. It'd be great is someone from TT could post up the dyno for me.[white 05 evo with the rabbit in the back])

wj4
06-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Damn, that's a long read. Glad you finally got it tuned! Post the dynos!

wj4
06-22-2007, 01:27 AM
PS in normal temp...at around 70 degrees, I'm sure there'd be a nice power increase as well.

Smogrunner
06-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Great write up!

vortech_g35
06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Very nice!! TT does it again.

SNEAKYEVO
06-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Nice numbers! O0

1WkdEvo
06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Congrats on the numbers and the service

Jenn@ttech
06-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Daniel, your sweet... :angel:
We will get that graph up for your on tues...

Smogrunner
06-24-2007, 10:27 AM
N0 need to wait 'til Tuesday: Here is your 302/318 dyno chart and a link to a much higher resolution one.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10300/normal_Evo8%20DanielH%206-07%20302.jpg

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10300/Evo8%20DanielH%206-07%20302.jpg

EvoJoe
06-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Nice numbers. I was at TT a couple of weeks ago and was also happy with my new tune on my 264/272 cams. Have fun with your car.

Jenn@ttech
06-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks! Smoggy. O0