PDA

View Full Version : ecu based boost, if i get the hardware, can you tune with it?

BUDLoNG
06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,18757.0.html

would TT be able to tune with this? I would very much like to have my ecu control boost, for both stealth and saftey reasons. If i buy the hose, can you guys tune boost with it?

i have everything i need for my tune, excpet an appointment at this stage :D [tbe, hfp, mbc [if you can tune it, i will get the gst boost hose instead] and panel filter.

thanks!
BUDLoNG

kusanagi
06-23-2007, 12:12 PM
bump for response- interested in this method of contolling boost as well, just seems like no one in socal is doing it... :-(

Smogrunner
06-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes, Alfred has used this method of controling boost a couple of times. It is the stealthiest, but the MBC has a couple of advantages, primarily, the MBC seems to hold more boost at higher rpms (less taper).

EvoJoe
06-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I was using the ECU to control my boost with my Xede for several years, but was having boost and taper issues at the higher elevation drag strips like LACR/Palmdale. Alfred ended up adding a manual boost controller about a year ago and I was able to turn up the boost higher and reduce the taper when I raced up at LACR. Don't get me wrong, having the ECU control the boost is very stealth and you could tailor the boost to work well in many situations. It just wasn't working for me. I'm now hearing of people working with custom boost hose pills and getting good results with the ECU controlling the boost.

Alfred@TTech
06-23-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,18757.0.html

would TT be able to tune with this? I would very much like to have my ecu control boost, for both stealth and saftey reasons. If i buy the hose, can you guys tune boost with it?

i have everything i need for my tune, excpet an appointment at this stage :D [tbe, hfp, mbc [if you can tune it, i will get the gst boost hose instead] and panel filter.

thanks!
BUDLoNG

Actually, I have tuned several EVO's using the stock boost solenoid, upgraded solenoids etc......

The key is to know how to set up the multiple desired boost maps so that everything works properly. Its not as simple as opening up one map and raising or lowering said values.

With that said, there is also the added part of the equation.....custom sized boost pills to further enhance boost control and battle taper in the higher rpms.....where our stock turbos tend to run out of "gas".

If anyone has questions feel free to contact me and I will do my best to help.

Alfred

atlvalet
06-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Yes, Alfred has used this method of controling boost a couple of times. It is the stealthiest, but the MBC has a couple of advantages, primarily, the MBC seems to hold more boost at higher rpms (less taper).

Ok, just asking a question here, so please do not take this the wrong way. I am just trying to understand things.

In the thread on EvoM on the EvoGreen results, Alain posted his Zeitronix logs for the 111 octane tune which seemed to have a lot of boost taper towards redline (22psi).

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=4463167&postcount=966

Bryan posted his boost log next , and he had one that held at around 24 pounds at redline using the GM 3-port on 100 octane.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=4463257&postcount=967

So Tom, if the MBC can hold more boost to redline, then what is going on? Am I missing something? Thanks.

earlyapex
06-24-2007, 12:36 AM
the MBC seems to hold more boost at higher rpms (less taper).

That is an inaccurate statement. With the correct hardware changes, ECU-controlled boost can and will hold more boost at higher rpm on stock turbo based Evos. It has been proven many times.

Smogrunner
06-24-2007, 10:12 AM
I love these types of discussions. Atlvalet, you don't need to worry about me taking anything the wrong way. If Bryan has built a better mouse trap, we should use it. As many of you might remember, I modified my stock boost control selonoid to control boost through my Xede for two years. It worked great. I'm in no way against developing, revising, and using a system similar to this. There are plusses and minuses to both systems. Let's have an informed discussion here of the various boost control methods. Having used both systems, I'm completely satisfied with, and prefer, a MBC. Its just incredibly user friendly and easy to adjust.

I'll post more later, but lets continue this discussion. I'll bet I can talk Alfred into doing a comparison test at TTech.