PDA

View Full Version : JDM 2-din conversion vs Orbital ?

oxyi
06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Hmm instead of using the orbital 2din conversion ...
can't I just use this 2din fro JDM evo ?
http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=1396
It is only $150...
"Only for JDM 2DIN Audio panel equipped unit. *Please choose Carbon look or Metal look. "

Unless the JDM is really that much different from the USDM... anyone know if it fits ? thanks !

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php (page 6)

ntx
06-28-2007, 11:20 PM
orbital also has the a/c relocation pieces.

j_nizzle
06-29-2007, 01:39 AM
dont buy the jdm piece...it's a fkn headache...all the wiring needs to be redone, and everything is backwards...get the orbital. it uses a lot of the stock pieces and for what it is, it's basically a fancy bezel/relocation kit rather than a full conversion.

oxyi
06-30-2007, 02:48 AM
AHHH.... great thanks for the advise !

ssp
07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
dont buy the jdm piece...it's a fkn headache...all the wiring needs to be redone, and everything is backwards...get the orbital. it uses a lot of the stock pieces and for what it is, it's basically a fancy bezel/relocation kit rather than a full conversion.

yes, dont buy the jdm piece...we acquired one to test on j_nizzle's car a little while back and we realized we would have to charge a customer way too much to have it installed correctly. though we work with wiring all day, this is a job that we rather avoid altogether.

we are in the process of making our own double-din kit for the evo.

antics22
07-25-2007, 11:23 AM
aside from relocating the HVAC to the lower portion, how is the JDM bezel any harder than the orbital double din bezel?

The JDM bezel is just an overlay. You can dremel out the double din space and just overlay the bezel on to that. As far the HVAC relocation goes... its going to need the Orbital lower portion (only one out there at the moment) or some creative way of mounting at the bottom...

The hard part of it all is the HVAC part...

Im running the lower orbital HVAC and the JDM top bezel. fits just fine and no headaches encountered....

You can get the lower portion directly through Rich at orbital....

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/15351/HPIM0077.JPG

ntx
07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
for the lower, you could also getĀ*a radio relocation kit and galant controls.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/85274-2005-mitsubishi-evolution-viii.html

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2286000-2286999/2286072_4_full.jpg

EvoSwaggA
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
wow... wait, that top pic is of a jdm evo 2-din or a galant? :?

ntx
07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
The second pic shows the HVAC from a galant using a radio relocation kit.

ntx
07-25-2007, 11:04 PM
the top i believe is a jdm overlay.

Lancer EVO IX
07-25-2007, 11:09 PM
You can get the lower portion directly through Rich at orbital....

how much for just the lower orbital piece ant? i didn't know that they sold it separately.

j_nizzle
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
antics, ssp acquired the complete jdm dash for me...the hvac controls, bezel, everything. you're right. the hvac was the headache part. they felt making their own bezel and relocation kit similar to the orbital piece was the better route. since then, i bought the avic n-2 so no need.

smokinevo9
07-27-2007, 04:03 PM
for the lower, you could also get a radio relocation kit and galant controls.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/85274-2005-mitsubishi-evolution-viii.html

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2286000-2286999/2286072_4_full.jpg

SUPER CLEAN

white9
07-27-2007, 04:14 PM
i like the caron fiber one^^ jdm O0 whore

j_nizzle
07-28-2007, 01:46 PM

pseudo-cf...

c_sautter
09-13-2007, 05:40 PM

yes, dont buy the jdm piece...we acquired one to test on j_nizzle's car a little while back and we realized we would have to charge a customer way too much to have it installed correctly. though we work with wiring all day, this is a job that we rather avoid altogether.

When do you guys think the double-din will be available?

Evolution22plus1
09-13-2007, 05:52 PM

I bought it but returned once I realized it was carbon fiber look, not actual carbon fiber...

ssp
09-14-2007, 02:43 PM

we havent had a customer who is dead set on one yet, we'd be more than happy to prototype it on someone's car and then give them the finished product at a discounted price.

oxyi
10-21-2007, 09:50 PM

we havent had a customer who is dead set on one yet, we'd be more than happy to prototype it on someone's car and then give them the finished product at a discounted price.

Ooo.. sounds good... you guys gonna make a cf looking one ? You can probably prototype it on my car if it won't mess up anything that much :P

su37su
11-26-2007, 09:27 PM
where could I buy the orbital one?

oxyi
11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
u gonna have to wait a while, they do it on per-basis run, which means you pay now, and in a couple month it will show up @ your door ;D no status checking as they are phasing it out..

xxxAce21xxx
11-27-2007, 01:40 PM
How Much Is That Carbon Fiber JDM Overlay and can i put it over the orbital din kit ? im still waiting for the orbital kit to arrive in the mail =D

antics22
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
the

How Much Is That Carbon Fiber JDM Overlay and can i put it over the orbital din kit ? im still waiting for the orbital kit to arrive in the mail =D

The overlay WILL NOT fit the Orbital double din Bezel. The dimensions are completely different. On the orbital, the bezel has a "hoodie" type design that adds an extra inch or so to the profile. The JDM bezel sits more flush and mates up perfectly to your stock radio bezel. Only thing you have to do is modify the stock bezel by cutting out the single-din to a double-din size and placing the overlay on top of that.

vial8or
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM
my double din comes in today finally. its on route in the fedex truck last time i checked online. ill post pix when it arrives

xxxAce21xxx
01-02-2008, 04:36 PM
mine is coming today also i will post better PIX =P hahahahaha

vial8or
01-02-2008, 04:39 PM
^^lol
fag

vial8or
01-02-2008, 05:21 PM
official unboxing!! just came in!!!
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/vial8or/Orbital%20DD%20Kit/

Speed[Y]
01-10-2008, 01:39 PM
i heard they might have a new version of the orbital..does anyone have any info on that?

vial8or
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
^^well thats what may happen. there was a poll on evom to see who was interested if he started making this kit again.
i think the poll was successful and a lot of people said yes. so i wouldnt doubt it if this goes through

Speed[Y]
01-10-2008, 03:18 PM
cool..i called orbital earlier today and they told me its still in manufacturing/production..so im going to order mine by the end of the month (jan) for my birthday on feb. 17..so hopfully it gets here in time for my other birthday gift from the wife..the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 O0 (which wont be for another couple months haha)

Alpha4LFE
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
So you confirmed with Rich that the V2 of the Orbital Kit is for sure in production?

BigBadEvoSE9
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
]
cool..i called orbital earlier today and they told me its still in manufacturing/production..so im going to order mine by the end of the month (jan) for my birthday on feb. 17..so hopfully it gets here in time for my other birthday gift from the wife..the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 O0 (which wont be for another couple months haha)

where are you ordering this from?? is it from 201 motorsports

Speed[Y]
01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
my bad for the confusion version 2 i heard from some guy from 201 motorsports which is not confirmed, rich from orbital said the current orbital is stillĀ* in production but he said he dont know ETA he said he should be getting some in soon