PDA

View Full Version : Car Continues to Shut Off - Help!

KU7484
07-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, i recently got some cams installed HKS 272/272 Toda cam gears and a reflash. Ever since the install and reflash, my car has the habit of shutting off if it isn't driven in a certain way.

For example: Say I'm in 2nd gear at about 3500rpm with my foot on the throttle and i hit the clutch, the car will die.

Another example: If I'm on wide open throttle in 3rd gear till 7,000rpm and i hit the clutch, the car will die.

The thing i've noticed is that when my foot is on the throttle and i hit the clutch, the car will die. If my foot is off the throttle and the car is cruising in a gear, and i hit the clutch, the car is usually okay (depending on the RPM).

I had my car checked for boost leaks at this one shop. They fixed majority of them, but they said my evo 9 bov is pretty much dead and not holding boost. Is this normal? I remember having this similar problem with the greddy type-s bov, but this problem didn't occur till the cam install and the reflash.

Here are my Mods -
2003 Evo 8

SAFC2
720cc Denso Injectors
272/272 HKS cams
Toda cam gears
Reflash by Charlie from MFQ (burbank)
3" Turbo Back
Greddy FMIC
RMR IC piping
RMR Intake

Charlie from MFQ said that a stock Airbox should fix the problem, but the guys at RRE say that this is unusual and can be either the tuning or a boost leak. I trust Charlies tuning and i'm sure a bunch of you out there do too.

What was scary today was my car shut off, and i tried starting it immediately and it didn't turn on for about 5 minutes until i let it sit for about a 2 minutes without trying, and than it barely started. After i came home from the drive, and i shut the car off, i restarted it without a problem.

I need some hardcore feedback!

speedracer2169
07-16-2007, 09:25 PM
cam angle sensor?

KU7484
07-16-2007, 09:28 PM
cam angle sensor?

what is that?

kimletrim
07-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cam angle sensor. Who installed your cams?

KU7484
07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cam angle sensor. Who installed your cams?

RRE

MJCT9A
07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
a code reader would confirm the cam sensor is the culprit..

KU7484
07-16-2007, 10:00 PM

can you explain how a cam angle sensor can cause this. I don't even know what the cam angle sensor is. Please explain..

KT Motoring
07-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Paul, when you car came in our shop, it was loaded with a lot of unknowns. We fixed the boost leak problems which helped immensely with the power delivery of your Evo. We changed out your drive line fluids. You made a very wise choice when deciding to take car of you maintenance items first. We then tuned your car for your mods and you were quite happy.

But also remember that there were a number of other issues which required attention. Your BOV was one of those issues. We told you it was an issue because during the boost leak test, the BOV started releasing air much sooner than normal. Were you able to get your hands a different BOV?

You clutch also needed attention as it was starting to slip. After the tune, we told you that a clutch was worth looking into.

Lastly, the stock airbox was recommended since we wanted to pinpoint the problems on your car. With the amount of changes done to your car, ruling out the intake is a necessary step. Besides, your car will make plenty of power with a stock intake. Your cone filter is pretty much done, getting a new one would be a good idea. Swing by the shop.

Give us a call and we can talk about the cam angle sensor or anything else you'd like to discuss about your car.

Blak94GSX
07-17-2007, 01:48 AM
If you aren't getting a check engine light when it dies, then it isn't the cam/crank sensors. Sounds like it just needs the idle tuned. It is pretty common for the car to stall after lifting the throttle from high rpm with cams. The cams decrease the amount of vacuum you get at idle, and generally have a negative effect on the idle. This is a simple thing to fix though so don't worry.

Miss Evo8
07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
please listen to this man ^^^^^ fixed some issues on my car.... another thing he recommends... boost leak test and clean that throttle body! ;) my car has never been happier O0

LiquidLife
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
where did you have your throttle body cleaned

Miss Evo8
07-20-2007, 01:17 PM

good ole fashioned carb cleaner :D lol then had WOT do some more "cleaning" :twisted:

KU7484
07-20-2007, 07:03 PM

hasn't been cleaned... and i do believe i have a boost leak around there.

CHARLIE!! - i'm going to thailand for two weeks, i'll call you when i get back!