PDA

View Full Version : tune questions

jazznevoluva
08-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I PMed Alfred yesterday, so I figure I'll post this while I wait for his response. I've got the RRE 2.4 and 3076 turbo with a ton of supporting mods. I'm new to dyno tuning(never dynoed my car), so Im looking for some insight/opinions.

I have an AFC NEO. Alfred lists the SAFC II as one of the devices he tunes. Since these AFCs are very similar, I assume the NEO can be tuned by TT on the dyno?

Would a flash tune by a better option considering my extensive mods?(i dont have AEM EMS)

Is it worthwhile to change the adjustable cam gear settings between pulls to help optimize the power band?

Considering my mods, what boost level would be recommended for a "safe" dyno tune on 91 octane?

Thanks guys! :laugh:
John

jazznevoluva
08-09-2007, 09:49 AM
They don't have a dyno and Scott Gray is out of town until after September. I was considering having Mike tune it, but I would need to leave it overnight which is kind of difficult for me since i live 2.5 hours away from RRE....

Tuning Tech is the closest shop to me with a dyno, and they seem to have a great rep. O0

vortech_g35
08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Safe Tune would be probably 20-25 psi on crap 91.

jazznevoluva
08-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks. Anyone from TT?

G20
08-09-2007, 04:52 PM
AFC NEO is very similar to the old SAFC but can only hold one setting (or map if you called it).
Safe boost is the maximum possible boost with minimal knocks. It'll probably between 21-24 psi on 91.
Flash will be better since it modified more detail information from the ecu. Your AFC can be a good on-the-fly adjustment on top of the reflash for the air/fuel compensation.

Hope it help.

Smogrunner
08-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I PMed Alfred yesterday, so I figure I'll post this while I wait for his response. I've got the RRE 2.4 and 3076 turbo with a ton of supporting mods. I'm new to dyno tuning(never dynoed my car), so Im looking for some insight/opinions.

I have an AFC NEO. Alfred lists the SAFC II as one of the devices he tunes. Since these AFCs are very similar, I assume the NEO can be tuned by TT on the dyno?

Would a flash tune by a better option considering my extensive mods?(i dont have AEM EMS)

Is it worthwhile to change the adjustable cam gear settings between pulls to help optimize the power band?

Considering my mods, what boost level would be recommended for a "safe" dyno tune on 91 octane?

Thanks guys! :laugh:
John

Alfred can tune your Neo, but your 91 octane tune should be on just a good reflash. Use the neo for race gas or just sell it. Your mods are absolutely fine for a reflash, it is not until you get to the 35R (like me) turbo that you have to make hard choices. I willingly give up some power for simplicity and daily driveability with my 35R and 2.3. The AEM would make some more power, but I like the way my car runs like a stock Evo with an additional 300whp. 8)

On the cams gears: I'd set them at -2, -2 and go from there.

On the boost, that all depends on YOUR car, but you will be between 21 and 23 psi.

Any other questions?

jazznevoluva
08-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I was thinking that the boost level with 91 on a 2.4 might be a little bit lower than the 2.0 since there is a lot more displacement for that boost to fill. I guess not though as 21-23 psi is common for 91 on a 2.0 as well. sweet!

Other questions? hmmm. Can you give me a ride in your car Smoggy??? :D

Thanks for the input guys!

Jenn@ttech
08-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I can arrange a ride in the smogmobile :mitsu:

Talk to you soon! Jenn@ttech

jazznevoluva
08-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Sweet! I made an appt. for next saturday. :laugh:

LiquidLife
08-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I still have yet to feel the power of the smogmobile.

jazznevoluva
08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
i feel special! :angel:

Smogrunner
08-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I can guarantee you that an oil change won't be a problem, but just show up earlier. It'll prolly be around $60 bucks.

EVOMANIAC
08-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I didnt get a ride in any car other than my own. No "Secretary ride" and no Smoogymobile ride". I did have one fun drive home tonight.

Smogrunner
08-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Sweet! I made an appt. for next saturday. :laugh:

That would be August 18th, right?

jazznevoluva
08-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Yes. I will be at TT at noon today! My best friend and girlfriend are coming too....I don't know how I talked BOTH of them into coming; but we will all be witnessing dynotune magic! :D

WOT
08-24-2007, 10:49 PM
O0