PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Jenn and Alfred at TT!!

jazznevoluva
08-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Jenn and Alfred! I came in to get dyno tuned yesterday and several of my friends came to watch. The TT folks went out of their way to make sure we all had water, chairs and AC(it was registered 108 degrees inside :-o). Then Alfred went to work on my car..........

We found that my injectors are STILL having issues, even after the cleaning/repairing, etc; so it was tense for a little bit. :tickedoff:
My car would still run lean after 6,000 rpms just like before. Alfred worked his magic and got the car up to about 20 psi while still keeping the injectors happy; and that is good enough for me right now! :D I will probably get new injectors here in the future.

So, for those that are wondering, 19 psi in 108 degree weather with my setup =s 380+ whp and 340 wtq at peak.......but better than that is a very long and broad powerband. It was pushing 385 whp and 360 wtq at 21 psi, before Alfred let off the throttle due to the lean conditions past 6K.....so we kept it at 20 where it is happy. This should easily be over 400 whp in cooler weather, and let me tell you; it feels AWESOME on the street! My car definitely feels stronger than it ever has before!! Smooth strong powerband with no missing/stumbling like I was used to in the past. :smitten:

TTs service, friendliness, experience and professionalism was all top-notch; and they will definitely have my business in the future! O0 Besides, I was promised a ride in Jenn's monster evo once it gets retuned. That alone will bring me back! :D

Happy tuning and God bless,
John

jazznevoluva
08-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Here is my graph! :D

javinsMR
08-19-2007, 09:17 AM
very nice numbers!

1WkdEvo
08-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Congrats John and good move on the tuner switch. Alfred does a great job, explains everything you need to know, answers all your questions, and stands by his work.

Smogrunner
08-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Hey John,
Sorry I couldn't make it over for the test ride, but I heard you got a ride in Raymond's car, which is no slouch itself. :-o

One more thing: Just get a set of Precision 880s from TTech. They are consistently good. Can't wait to see what you make when you get that issue sorted out.

G20
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM
yeah! why didn't you get a new set of injectors instead of trial-and-error like that which may cost you as much or more?

jazznevoluva
08-19-2007, 10:09 AM
RRE suggested I get them sent out to be tested and cleaned after they had repaired the busted tips. The funny thing is that after the cleaning was done, they all were labeled as having an "excellent" flow rate by RC Engineering(at least 680 cc/min). It is a strange issue. If I had the chance, I would swap them out with a different set of 720s and see how the car responds before plopping down more money for a new set; as their still may be a hinderance elsewhere.

I am honestly satisfied right now with the way the car performs, so I will probably leave it as it is right now since it is happy. Once the weather cools down, i'll look into the injector issue some more and get retuned.

No problem Smoggy. Raymond's car was a beast..:-) It seems between you, Jenn, and Raymond; there will always be a SUPER evo around to give rides. It's like you guys have your own private theme park... :smitten:

vortech_g35
08-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Good write up. +1 to TT.

mrcotija
08-19-2007, 10:32 PM
i'm glad you enjoyed the ride.. sorry it could only be on pump, with 4 people in the car, and the weather being really hot... but i'm glad you enjoyed it nonetheless

jazznevoluva
08-20-2007, 12:24 PM
No prob Raymond. The car felt really really fast, but it is amazing how the hot weather really slows down our cars. My evo is like that too, so sensitive to atmospheric conditions...lol. I really would like a ride in one of those while running race gas sometime for the full experience. That is where the gt35r shines! :laugh:

Anyways, I noticed last night that someone from TT replaced my RRE license plate holder with a TT one! Very very sneaky!! LOL! :grin: You guys are great!

1WkdEvo
08-20-2007, 02:16 PM
^ Classic

itsoem
08-20-2007, 02:26 PM
+1 Alfred and his crew are awesome. My GG XI was getting tuned when you pulled up. They were very professional and everyone went out of their way. Thanks TT!!! I'll see if I can post my dyno sheet... nothing compared to yours... LOL

jazznevoluva
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
what mods itsoem? and what were your numbers? yeah, the heat hurt us that day. :-P

jazznevoluva
08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
updated graph with rpm points.

jazznevoluva
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
correction. I just figured out how to get the boost on the graph.....it looks as though the boost is really more around 19 psi with a short spike at 20....so I'm changing this to 19 psi.

Smogrunner
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
correction. I just figured out how to get the boost on the graph.....it looks as though the boost is really more around 19 psi with a short spike at 20....so I'm changing this to 19 psi.

Post that up, that would be very interesting to look at.

jazznevoluva
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
as requested...def not the most stable boost control... :-(

itsoem
08-21-2007, 09:52 AM
what mods itsoem? and what were your numbers? yeah, the heat hurt us that day. :-P

I put down 320 TQ and 308 HP. The only mods I have is a TB, drop in filter, and lower intercooler harp pipe kit from TT. Maybe you can help me put my Dyno graph on here... LOL

jazznevoluva
08-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Can you view the dynograph on your computer?? If so, press (ctrl + Print Scr). Go into microsoft paint then press (ctrl +v) to paste it in. now you can manipulate it, add text, and save it in whatever pic format you want.

Not even a boost controller? Those are great numbers for so few mods. O0

John

BoostinEvil9
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
You put out some good numbers, JAZZ congrats.

itsoem
08-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Can you view the dynograph on your computer?? If so, press (ctrl + Print Scr). Go into microsoft paint then press (ctrl +v) to paste it in. now you can manipulate it, add text, and save it in whatever pic format you want.

Not even a boost controller? Those are great numbers for so few mods. O0

John

Sorry, forgot the manuel boost controller. Also, thank you!! ;)

jazznevoluva
08-21-2007, 12:27 PM
This question is primarlily for Alfred( he tuned my car and knows exactly what I'm talking about), but is open to anyone who wants to offer 2c. So we found that my car runs very VERY lean( 12+ AFR) above 6k rpms when trying to boost over 20 psi. Now at 19 psi, Alfred was able to get the AFR into the low 10 area above 6K....so it is strange that just 1 more pound of boost would lean things out so much. He was thinking that the injectors need to be replaced, but I had them cleaned and tested beforehand by RC ENGINEERING, and all 4 came back with an "excellent" rating for fuel flow.

One area on the fuel system of my car that I have not replaced/tested is the fuel pressure regulator. Maybe it is the culprit? I think they are fairly inexpensive, so maybe it would be worthwhile to get an adjustable one with a gauge? I just don't want to go out and spend $400+ dollars on injectors only to find that they really weren't the problem. I am happy with the way my car runs, but I will need to get this resolved here eventually.

Thanks,
John

earlyapex
08-21-2007, 03:07 PM
as requested...def not the most stable boost control... :-(

How old is that MBC? Something is either wrong with that or you have some flow issues.

Here is a GT3071 ATP kit with a Hallman MBC:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/ray_mygsx/041107/ray_boost_afr041107.jpg

jazznevoluva
08-21-2007, 04:40 PM
It's about a year old. The car pulls really smoothly though, so its not noticable. Are all of those from the 3071?? They each seem to have different spool/taper characteristics.

earlyapex
08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
It's about a year old. The car pulls really smoothly though, so its not noticable. Are all of those from the 3071?? They each seem to have different spool/taper characteristics.

Just the green line is boost. :)

jazznevoluva
08-21-2007, 05:44 PM
what are the red and blue lines?? they don't make sense for AFRs. :?

earlyapex
08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
what are the red and blue lines?? they don't make sense for AFRs. :?

power and torque. Black is AFR

jazznevoluva
08-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh, ok. It was a little confusing since it didn't show any power parameters on the graph.....but now i get it! O0
Anyways, here is another graph of one of my runs(Alfred let off early on this one). But I think it is interesting because he starts the power pull earlier than on my other dyno pulls which yields a much earlier spool time. Almost hitting peak torque by 4,000 rpms. :-)

Jenn@ttech
08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Thank-you! Thank-you! You :band: jazznevoluva. And yes you will definitely get a ride in my EVO 8. :twisted: I'm still waiting to get tuned.....

*** Please do not let this post stop you guys from tech talk ;)

jazznevoluva
09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
I thought I'd add something else here. I went up to Stockton last weekend for labor day(about a 6 hour drive) and took the evo. I had my dad and g/f in the car with a bunch of luggage. I filled up in Tehachapi and drove 270 miles clocked. I still had a third of a tank of gas left, but I decided to fill up at a 76 station since I found one. My tank took 10 gallons exactly. This nets 27 mpg, and I had similar results on the way home....Now to be fair, I stayed out of boost for most of the trip; but I think this is pretty impressive considering my mods and the weight of all that were in my car. This is better mpg than stock, and I have a 2.4. I was very surprised. OF course it drops down to about 6 mpg when I drive it hard... :-P

mrcotija
09-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I thought I'd add something else here. I went up to Stockton last weekend for labor day(about a 6 hour drive) and took the evo. I had my dad and g/f in the car with a bunch of luggage. I filled up in Tehachapi and drove 270 miles clocked. I still had a third of a tank of gas left, but I decided to fill up at a 76 station since I found one. My tank took 10 gallons exactly. This nets 27 mpg, and I had similar results on the way home....Now to be fair, I stayed out of boost for most of the trip; but I think this is pretty impressive considering my mods and the weight of all that were in my car. This is better mpg than stock, and I have a 2.4. I was very surprised. OF course it drops down to about 6 mpg when I drive it hard... :-P

it's not surprising... i have the 2.3L w/ the gt35r on 1000cc injectors... i have yet to drive the car off boost, and i average 21mpg... (boosting often is pretty much driving normal for me).. on a bad day i'll get 19.9 mpg...