PDA

View Full Version : Trabuco and Majestic Canyons

onepremiere
09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Who goes? Who stays away? Opinions?

I kinda wanna go tonight and just cruise through.

4g63superboost
09-13-2007, 11:27 PM
if u go be carefull...alot of people have passed away there along with my friend .....mostly everyone crashes were my friend passed away for some wierd reason ....enjoy but be safe ...i would go with u but i still need my rims and bumper

onepremiere
09-14-2007, 01:52 AM
if u go be carefull...alot of people have passed away there along with my friend .....mostly everyone crashes were my friend passed away for some wierd reason ....enjoy but be safe ...i would go with u but i still need my rims and bumper

I appreciate that, I myself have had friends crash but they were fortunate enough that they made it out ok. I run it mellow... Then we are usually kick it at Cook's. Its fun when your bored.... Everynight I have been there, there are always cars running it.

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 01:57 AM
yea, cop central. Ive been through there and been pulled over 3 out of 10 times.

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 02:00 AM
yea i used to take that canyon everyday ...but now i just take it once in a while when im bored and just to drive by were my buddy passed away ........

onepremiere
09-14-2007, 02:03 AM
By ERIKA I. RITCHIE
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

“During the day it’s pretty, but at night it’s one of the most dangerous roads.”
Matt Shearer, 33, of Placentia

It's after sundown.

It won't be long until Capt. Bob Coats hears the buzz of high-powered engines followed by screeching brakes.

It's a regular thing. Firefighters from Orange County Fire Authority Station 18 and the Cleveland National Forest Station 26 on Live Oak Canyon Road know that on weekend nights drivers will test the twisting, tree-lined road.

The road, better fit for a leisurely drive, is a tempting setting for exhibitions of speed. Some drivers test high-performance cars, some vehicles powered by nitrous oxide - a propellant that makes fuel burn hotter, moving the cylinders of an engine faster. Some drivers are teens seeking excitement.

Last year emergency crews were called to 60 crashes. The California Highway Patrol has stepped up enforcement of laws against speeding and driving under the influence. But for residents of rustic Trabuco Canyon and commuters from nearby Rancho Santa Margarita, driving on Live Oak Canyon Road remains intimidating.

Traffic volume is increasing on the right of way that began as a stagecoach trail in the early 1900s to provide access to canyon properties. Starting at Cook's Corner, the 6-mile road connects Lake Forest through Trabuco Canyon to south Orange County inland communities like Rancho Santa Margarita.

Live Oak is a collector road meant to take residential traffic to major arterials, said Grant Anderson, a county civil engineer. Unlike other roads of this type, its narrow design and curves don't meet today's standards. The road is posted for the safe, legal speed and marked with warning signs.

"If people would heed them, they wouldn't be running off the road," Anderson said.

Current county statistics show 2,700 cars a day on the road. The county has no plans to widen it.

"It's not a capacity issue, it's how unsafely people are driving," Anderson said. "People are driving faster than the road and its curves are designed to carry them."

Coats, who has been stationed at OCFA in the canyon for 2-1/2 years, has seen many crashed vehicles off the road and in the seasonal creek along Live Oak. He's seen cars boosted by nitrous oxide and drivers wearing racing harnesses.

"It's a constant problem," Coats said. "It makes people wary about venturing out when the sun goes down. People who live off the road are afraid of cars launching onto their property."

Others fear driving the road - the only way out of their canyon community.

Living in fear

Russ Thompson, a longtime resident of the canyon, won't venture onto Live Oak without preparing for the worst.

"I roll down my driver's-side window and make sure the doors aren't locked so I can be pulled out if I'm hit," he said. "We've had so many wrecks here, we can't even count them. We talk about new skid marks every week. Everyone living in the canyon is impacted."

Residents say they've seen cars with spoilers lining up at Plano Trabuco Road and racing into the canyon, well exceeding the 35-mph speed limit. Firefighters and law enforcers arrive after motorists have spun out of control, struck trees and careened into the creek bed below.

Live Oak is dark and has no stop signs or traffic lights. It twists with blind curves under an oak canopy. "The Place," a stretch between Hamilton Road Trail and the Ramakrishna Monastery, is witness to many accidents. The "Porsche Tree" - where two Porsche drivers lost their lives - is a solemn reminder. The creek below is littered with car parts. Crosses marking fatal crashes are nailed to at least 20 trees along the road.

Capt. Jon Neely of the U.S. Forest Service, stationed along the road, has seen cars closely following each other.

"They'll come by the front of the station on the straightaway going 100 mph," he said. "They'll have someone in the lead car videoing the cars behind them at above-freeway speeds. Cars end up wrapped around oak trees with 120 feet of skids."

Matt Shearer, 33, of Placentia knows the road's dangers - he walked away from one of the Porsche Tree's fatal accidents about 10 years ago. His good friend, Doug Monnig, who lived in the canyon, died on impact.

"I realized he was going too fast, and I put on my seat belt," Shearer said. "About two turns before where he lived, he lost control and hit the tree. I know that canyon is brutal. During the day it's pretty, but at night it's one of the most dangerous roads."

Since then, the road has not gotten safer. In fact, firefighters say the rate of accidents is up.

And it's not just the motorists who are endangered, Coats said.

Each time there's a crash with injuries, at least a dozen firefighters, two engines, one truck and a paramedic unit go to work. In some cases, this can tie up paramedic units from nearby cities for a couple of hours, leaving other sick or injured people without service.

Dan Doke lives in a gated community off Live Oak known as Hamilton Oaks. Drivers often pass his place at 50 to 60 mph. There have been six deaths in front of his property, which parallels the road. In the last two years, young drivers - from San Clemente and Tustin - have crashed through the fence and onto his property, resulting in injury.

On Patrol

Recently, Alexander Vartanian, 17, from Lake Forest went into a blind curve at more than 50 mph when he did a 180-degree spin and slid off the road near the Porsche Tree. He was lucky - only his car was damaged.

"We were doing the canyon drive just like we do every Friday," he said "It's a fun road to drive. It's dark, has two lanes and it's windy."

CHP officer Justin Sherwood wasn't surprised when he arrived at the site where Vartanian crashed.

"This is the spot," he said. "They'll run through here, they'll run through Santiago Canyon and Modjeska (Canyon). They always try to tell us the same thing - 'They were just cruising around.' But some have got scout cars going through. If they see us, they leave."

The CHP has jurisdiction over the county's unincorporated roads but doesn't have enough officers to regularly patrol the remote area.

Four units patrol all of south Orange County from Lake Forest to San Diego County, including all of Ortega Highway, Los Flores, Ladera Ranch and the 73 and 241 toll roads.

"We could use more people in south Orange County, but our resources are limited," said Lt. Steve Deck.

In November, special enforcement units were sent to work the area and issued 15 speeding tickets the first Saturday night. Since then, officers have stepped up weekend patrols and issued 93 tickets - 40 were for speeding and five were citations for driving under the influence.

"We feel it's appropriate to get to the rural areas to establish our presence so things don't get out of hand," Deck said.

The Orange County Board of Supervisors repealed an ordinance limiting the sheriff's traffic patrols in rural areas on Jan. 24. In 2-1/2 weeks, the Sheriff's Department will help CHP patrol all unincorporated roads in the county.

But not all crashes result from a driver pitting his car and driving skills against the road.

Jonathan Salter, 17, from Mission Viejo totaled his Chevy Prism during a roll-over in December. He was using the scenic shortcut to a friend's house in Rancho Santa Margarita.

"There was this car behind me," he said, "They had their high beams on. The guy was making me go faster. It was kind of scaring me. I slid, hit a tree, turned completely sideways and rolled into the creek."

He knows the road's reputation. He's seen a lot of people speed through the canyon - many driving fast cars like Subaru WRX's. "It's a popular spot because you don't see cops out there," he said.

The crash left Salter with minor injuries.

Doke hopes this month won't bring another wreck - it'd be the third February in a row vehicles crashed through his fence.

"It baffles me," he said. "It's such a beautiful place, and there's so much tragedy here."

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 02:05 AM
yea, iirc the last time i went through therem a kid killed his passanger in his white MR2. It was in the paper a few months back (round april). I ended up being 7th to the scene (after 4 cops, an e36, and a ambulance) I was stopped by the cops for 1.5 hours that night. They searched my car, gave me a breathalyzer, and drunk test. friggin lame. last time ill prolly go through there in a long time...

SpdyEvo02
09-14-2007, 02:07 AM
never been before so no idea

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 02:08 AM
^^^^^^yup all true ^^^^^^ it is most dangerous at night .....and passing isnt the smartest thing in the world either very very dangerous

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 02:09 AM
yea, i like to drive spirited, but in a place where im safer...ie a track...or deserted lake bed :D

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 02:11 AM
lake bed =fun!!!!!!!!! i wanna do that sooooo bad!!!

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 02:14 AM
^^then cruise out there. its not too far away, dont be a primadonna like powder herrr* * ...(lol j/p) get ur car durty :D

If you search google, there are a SH!T ton of articles about Trabucoo Canyon, aka Live oak Canyon rd...

iirc, there have been over 20 deaths on that road...

onepremiere
09-14-2007, 02:16 AM
^^then cruise out there. its not too far away, dont be a primadonna like powder herrr ...(lol j/p) get ur car durty :D

If you search google, there are a SH!T ton of articles about Trabucoo Canyon, aka Live oak Canyon rd...

iirc, there have been over 20 deaths on that road...

1 year 60 crashes on a 6 mile road!

onepremiere
09-14-2007, 02:17 AM
lake bed =fun!!!!!!!!! i wanna do that sooooo bad!!!

this will be my 2nd outting to the lake bed. do it. memories for life.... most fun i have ever had in a car

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 02:19 AM
oh trust me dirt and my car are one deffenetly not affriad to get her dirty!! ...lol...

oh and i know trust me ....4 of my friends have crashed in the same exact place .......all totalled cars one lost his life mabe u guys have seen the cross and flowers ???it says {r.i.p king case} and btw all black on the trees is from his car bursting into flames .....there is still glass everywhere ...very scary gives me the chills every time i drive by there :(

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 02:21 AM
i would go but my car is messed up remmeber ?? but shes runnig now!! new greddy FMIC with INJEN intake kit custome fit by "dynamic autosports " O0 O0

onepremiere
09-14-2007, 02:23 AM
oh trust me dirt and my car are one deffenetly not affriad to get her dirty!! ...lol...

oh and i know trust me ....4 of my friends have crashed in the same exact place .......all totalled cars one lost his life mabe u guys have seen the cross and flowers ???it says {r.i.p king case} and btw all black on the trees is from his car bursting into flames .....there is still glass everywhere ...very scary gives me the chills every time i drive by there :(

i feel you man, i lost a friend on the 24th last month on crown valley... fell asleep at the wheel and no seat belt.

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 02:23 AM
1 year 60 crashes on a 6 mile road!

jeebus thats a lot of crashes...

man that sux...one good reason not to go back there.

onepremiere
09-14-2007, 02:24 AM
i would go but my car is messed up remmeber ?? but shes runnig now!! new greddy FMIC with INJEN intake kit custome fit by "dynamic autosports " O0 O0

i know a mechanic at dynamic, they do good work. i like dynamic i am trying to decide on what wheels then i am ordering!!! then after the wheels come in its off to mueller

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 02:28 AM
yea dynamic is way chill ...the guy that did the work on my car was adam....kool guy ....get the FQ400 wheels FTW ...lol its a tough choice

Boosted
09-14-2007, 07:45 AM
its a great road just be careful!!!! I have drive both more times than I can count there only 2 turns you need to RALLY be careful with in my opinion and they are both most difficult when you are headed towards rancho santa margarita.

The first is about mid way through its a left to right chicane with barb wire on the right side and hill and then trees on the left side the initial left is pretty tight and if you going too quick it seems like most people over steer the first half of it then over correct and hit the damn tree. Or they just under steer and snowplow straight into the barbed wire fence. This is where someone has recently died and I witnessed an integra portray my description of over steer with over correction and ended up backwards in the barbed wire.

The second turn you should take your time around is is just before the second to last straight going past the fire station. There is a progressive left that tightens significantly and LOVES to induce under steer. It has a short stone concrete wall on the outside and is the turn that is also the entrance to the Park/campgrounds I have seen one person on a bike misjudge the turn and go into the dirt and also drove past after a mazda 3 rolled through that wall.

As far as Majeska is concerned its a very difficult road with lots of elevation change, tight short radius turns and narrow roads, all mixed into a neighbor hood of locals that don't appreciate you driving on there street so be careful. The first time I was just cruising down the road one of the homeowners on the hill headed down to the big right 180 who was in there driveway pulled out right in front of me in a white F250to act as a barrier and slow us down which in my opinion was extremely ignorant and dangerous to pull such a stunt but it happened to be careful.

all and all when driven with respect they are excellent roads that have both given and taken so much so please enjoy, drive safe and be careful!

xxINKxx
09-14-2007, 08:22 AM
There has been highway patrols watching since i heard an 8 year old kid got killed recently in there...I saw a subaru and an integra broth pulled over in there from CHP just this past week alone, i didnt know highway patrol was alowed to monitor the city streets??

Its a really drive but its stupid to speed

Ive been driving down live oak and going to the Rose Canyon Cantina alot this past few weeks and there is always cops patrolling now

Boosted
09-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Live Oak isn't a city street and it is considered California Highway patrol territory. I used to drive live oak daily to and from work and never saw any cops. It seems to me the best time to go for a spin is between 1am-to about 1pm. But after that is open game with people coming home from work when traffic is at its peak.

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 10:06 AM
^yea, but during the daytime there are bicyclists everywhere on that road, and slow moving harleys...

Boosted
09-14-2007, 11:21 AM
maybe on the weekends but not during the week

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 11:25 AM
^alright, maybe i was exagerating a bit, but you do have to watch for bicyclists during the day, they go through there and through modjeska canyon as well. usually early in the morning 7-8am. I used to take that way to work as well.

Boosted
09-14-2007, 11:47 AM
gotcha, where are you located at? I'm sure i've seen you around then!

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 11:54 AM
^im in Las Flores, off antonio/oso. youve prolly seen me a few times late at night. thats the only time im really around there 'cept saturdays.

Boosted
09-14-2007, 11:58 AM
oh gotcha, yea your close by, I live off antonio as well right next to the 241 toll road would any of the local guys be interested in an RSM micro meet? I was thinking locals only, yourself, 4g63 super boost and whoever else may be in the area. I tried to do something like this earlier but it turned into the foothill ranch meet haha

GokuSSJ4
09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
wow!!! so many accidents ...
can anyone post any pics in order to have an idea to what the road looks lik e???
and maybe even pics of those 2 turns you speak about boosted..

Boosted
09-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I could show you the turns i'm taking about on google earth or maps if you would like? Otherwise I can see if I can cruise down the hill this weekend to take some recon pics for you guys.

GokuSSJ4
09-14-2007, 12:31 PM
either way ... i would like to see what's so terrible ....

Boosted
09-14-2007, 12:35 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10978/normal_turn%201.JPG

thats the second turn I described, It hasn't ever attacked me but I know that it has attacked several other before
The other turn has too much tree cover to single out on this map and it wont really give you a good idea of what your dealing with, not that this is much better

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
^the issue isnt that its dangerous, its that people driving it dont realize that they arent that good of drivers. there are a LOT of off camber turns, and the one turn he's talking about is a 90 flat turn, with a 2-3' drop in the road right before it. once you hit that drop, the rear end slides loose pretty easily.

hell, ive even had drunk drivers swerve into my lane.

maximum viewing distance at night is round 100' in front of you at any time...100' is not much room to stop if you come up on a stopped vehicle/animal/debris in road...
for referrence:
60mph = ~90'/sec
80mph = ~120 ft/sec...

p.s.

that turn quoted above, is not the 'deadly' turn, that turn is the beginning turn explained in the article where people were going 100+ by the fure station.

the deadly turn is about 1 mile north of that turn he quoted.

Boosted
09-14-2007, 12:42 PM
^yup and when people mix that with a road they are unfamiliar with they can be put into some pretty harry situations. If you look at the satellite of the turn I just posted you you see where it tightens up is also surrounded by large oak trees.

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 12:46 PM
^yea, that turn has scared me a few times, especially going from eltoro to trabuco canyon...that is a decreasing radius turn that way... with a 20' dirt shoulder to spin you out...

we knick named the crash spot 'dead mans drop' cause it litterally is what it is...many many many many crosses/flowers on that turn.

Boosted
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
yup exactly, the only other turn that in my opinion really causes problems is the chicane I described about half way through, but theres no way to show that turn without walking down and taking pics. Ill make that my weekend mission!

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 12:52 PM
^yea, thats the turn im talking about. slight elevation change right before the turn if your going from el toro to trabuco.

definately +1 on the pics... ill see if i can google image and images...

Boosted
09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I looked but there is ALOT of tree coverage. Its nice to know at least the locals know there own turf haha.

SoCalRedLine
09-14-2007, 12:55 PM
actually i found that article for your buddy:
http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/local/2006/09/12strabuco1_lg.jpg

link:
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/homepage/article_1272419.php

GokuSSJ4
09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
thanks guys!!! sounds interesting *(to actually see this turn you guys are talking about)

Boosted
09-14-2007, 12:59 PM
well thats the crash site right after the turns i'm talking about that death happened because of speed and the chicane I was referring too.

onepremiere
09-14-2007, 02:54 PM
I ALWAYS take that turn slow.... anyone following gets all butt hurt.... when your coming from cooks towards trabuco it starts out gradual, then get tight at the end transferring weight like a mofo....

lately someone has been using the WHOLE road because there is a LOT of gravel on the road...

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
yup thats it right there socalredline

4g63superboost
09-14-2007, 08:59 PM
i almost cried like a little bitch at his funeral service :(

http://a223.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/127/l_8311eb3dbfcb7354dd801a80e470eba6.jpg

Boosted
09-15-2007, 12:15 AM
thats the one...

onepremiere
09-15-2007, 09:29 PM
I am gunna be off at midnight tonight, anyone down to meet up?

Boosted
09-18-2007, 01:17 PM
how does your schedule look for this week im down to kick it if we can round up a few other cars for a mini meet I will bring a buddy in a scooby and one in a e36 m3

Miss Evo8
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
can anyone post any pics in order to have an idea to what the road looks lik e???

Tomas I took you there before... remember the bridge we jumped :twisted:

Boosted
09-18-2007, 01:26 PM

hahah only in muellerized suspension can the bridge be jumped, rob does the same thing on his way out of that damn road

Miss Evo8
09-18-2007, 01:30 PM

hahah only in muellerized suspension can the bridge be jumped, rob does the same thing on his way out of that damn road

:twisted: you need good brakes to jump it both ways... and a brave heart :twisted:

Boosted
09-18-2007, 01:57 PM
haha seriously

SoCalRedLine
09-18-2007, 02:26 PM

:twisted: you need good brakes to jump it both ways... and a brave heart :twisted:

lol...ive jumped it in the stocker setup. not too bad. didnt bottom out. maybe 3-6" of air at most.

Boosted
09-18-2007, 02:29 PM
yea its definitely possible on stock suspension. But so far muellerized has the only high travel off road capable suspension setups i've seen jumping and landing softly

SoCalRedLine
09-18-2007, 02:32 PM
^yea yea...plug the Mueller setup that i cant afford :cry:...lol

one day...one day...

Miss Evo8
09-18-2007, 02:33 PM
yea its definitely possible on stock suspension. But so far muellerized has the only high travel off road capable suspension setups i've seen jumping and landing softly

what I've experience so far is to STAY ON THE GAS!!! :D the car lands and hooks and your off like a Rally car :twisted: its quite addicting... comming back "the safe way" is great...you slide around that last corner at the top of 2nd go to 3rd and floor it!!!!! I tried numerous times to get Josh/ Spoolinbyu to lay down near the bridge with the video camera and film the jump....even offered him money... he wont do it... I dont know why not :roll:

Boosted
09-18-2007, 02:37 PM
hahah tripod that shit and post it up! I would love to see the kitty mobile go flying over that bridge and then disappear

SoCalRedLine
09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
^DO IT DO IT!

4g63superboost
09-18-2007, 10:43 PM
ive done it in my ranger and once in the evo ......scarey stuff i tell ya +1 for the tripod idea do it !!

onepremiere
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
hit me up ill bring this

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/onepremiere/DSCF2758.jpg

Miss Evo8
09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
hit me up ill bring this

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/onepremiere/DSCF2758.jpg

:twisted: good stuff!!!! will do!

Boosted
09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
tell me when I will come watch :D

onepremiere
09-23-2007, 03:40 PM
we can set up grand stands and sell tickets to "the jump"

GokuSSJ4
09-23-2007, 06:27 PM
oh boy!!!! the car has gone through a couple of things already as it is.... i can only imagine putting the poor tune under more torture... LOL :D after this lol it will end up with probably new suspension parts

Miss Evo8
09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
oh boy!!!! the car has gone through a couple of things already as it is.... i can only imagine putting the poor tune under more torture... LOL :D after this lol it will end up with probably new suspension parts

Flight Tested JICS!!!! :D which reminds me... can we try yours out too? :?

GokuSSJ4
09-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Flight Tested JICS!!!! :D which reminds me... can we try yours out too? :?
:roll: right.....

4g63superboost
09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
yea jumping evos!!!!

DIAF
09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Jumping your Evo is no joke! It takes some big balls and no whining when shit breaks either bitches!

ytinu
02-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I live right before Cook's on El Toro Road. I take the canyon to and from work sometimes.

4g63superboost
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
i think ive seen u before^^^ i drive a GG iX with an SE lip,and limo tinted windows.....