PDA

View Full Version : Load Bearing Dyno

airforceone860
10-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if Tuning technologies dyno was load bearing or not? If it is not, does it make a difference when it is being tuned on their dyno compared to when im driving on the street. Im not going to have problems on the road will I ? my friend said a dynotune could cause a big difference on the road and could cause knock

Just Wondering?

Smogrunner
10-20-2007, 07:10 AM
The Dynojet that Tuning Technologies uses is the exact same model that the following leading shops in the USA use to tune Evos and Subarus: AMS, Sean Ivey, Turbo Trix, Doug Wilks from Top Speed. Although it is an inertial dyno, it reads very close to street conditions because of the weight of its rollers. It's two 1800lb rollers add up to 3600lbs. An Evo with a 200lb driver adds up to 3450lbs. Throw in wind resistance and the simulation of load to real world conditions is very good.

The dynojet offers a few other really cool features. Customers can endlessly share and overlay plots because of the excellent user-friendly software available. Also, with a few very small exceptions, it is impossible to manipulate power output on a DynoJet. 300whp is 300whp on whatever dynojet you are on, assuming that it is a 424X Dynojet with two 1800lb rollers, which is what all the shops I listed about use. Finally, the accuracy of the dyno plot lines are really nice. If the car is knocky or too rich, you can see the plot line spike lower just like you would expect.

Load bearing dynos are certainly nice. My first tunes were on S hiv 's DynoDynamics. It was an awesome machine and its plots were sensitive to engine knock and other run to run fluctuations. It's biggest drawback seemed to be its primitive DOS operating system, which made it hard if not impossible for customers to tinker with their own run files and overlay their tune versus others. That is a ease-of-use type issue, not a tuning one though. A drawback is that it is easy for a tuner to exagerrate results from a dynos like this. See "The Shop" in Ct. from Evom. They have their DynoDynamics setup to read like a dynojet, which puts it out of its factory spec. The same tuner mentioned above was banned from this site shortly after being accused of purposely altering a load bearing dyno at XS Engineering to make his shop car look more powerful than it really was.

IMO, the Mustang Dyno is a lot like the the DynoDynamics but with one drawback: Mustang Dyno's graphed plots are not sensitive enough. On a DynoDynamics and on a Dynojet, when an Evo hits a bit of knock, you can clearly see it in the plot lines. They are very sensitive to show a fouling plug, knock, or slight tuning changes. I'm not talking about the rediculously low resolution customer printout sheet. Those are a joke and look like a four year old drew a plot line with a thick crayon. Even the tuning screens with the higher resolution consistently look far too low resolution to me. I'm told that this can be adjusted to show every bump and spike like a dynojet, but haven't seen it yet.

Furthermore, like any tuner that uses any dyno, if they are good, they learn rather quickly how to make perfect tuning adjustments on the dyno because they constantly test out their dyno tunes on the street. Alfred, Martin Musial, Sean Ivey, Doug Wilks and the hundreds of other accomplished tuners of other models know how to adjust maps for real world conditions, because they drive, race, and log their cars in real world conditions. This goes for load bearing dyno tuners as well. Remember, even a load bearing dyno tuner can't replicate 100mph air blasting across our intercoolers and intakes.

It is all about experience. Would you want some rookie tuner with a really nice load bearing dyno who has tuned maybe ten to fifteen cars tuning your car or a well-known experienced tuners like TTech, AMS, TopSpeed, TurboTrix, etc. tuning your car with hundreds, if not thousands, of tunes under their belts?

airforceone860
10-20-2007, 07:23 AM
thanks alot for the explanation bro I really appreciate it

white9
10-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Damn smoggy thats why your a principal haha. Very well explained!

Jenn@ttech
10-20-2007, 11:17 AM
+1 for the smogster ;)

tabio42
10-20-2007, 11:23 AM
How do you tune less than WOT load levels on the dynojet? Do you need an accurate boost gauge and a very accurate right foot?

SpoolinEVO
10-20-2007, 11:48 AM
All of what Smoggy said is accurate... We at Westech have a load bearing dual eddy current Superflow Dyno which is both accurate and sensitive when we need it to be. The only problem with our unit is that its 2WD :( Simulating exact real world conditions is often difficult due to air speed and although we have a program just for that, its not always accurate because of the measurments of cross sectional area that has to be included in our air drag tests. What is cool about our Superflow Dyno is that we could lug down a 1500 lb/ft diesel truck at full boost @ a steady 20-25 mph for X amount of seconds and then let her rip for a full boost ProAccel test. Otherwise both dyno's are great but load bearing dyno's offer a bit more tunability but cost sooooo much more!