PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy a new laptop

icachipmunk
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Alright so I am looking for a new light weight small compact computer that is pretty descent in speed and price. So far I have been looking at the Apple MacBook and the Dell XPS 1330. They are both 13 in screens and weighs are pretty descent, about 4~5 pounds.

Now I haven't really used a Mac since like grade school, but spending some much time at the Apple store to get my rebate for my phone it looks pretty simple and not to shabby, and I have this one Macfan of a co-worker who says get it and raves all about it how it won't get virus like Windows and new laptops are getting Vista which everyone has been saying sucks ass and balls.

Well I have been leaning to the Macbook cause its a bit cheaper, but also cause it could run Windows on it. So Want to get you opinions, which one would you get.

Both computers are running 2GB of RAM, 160 GB HD @ 5400 RPM, and 2.0 GHz Intel Duo Core Processors

MoReRyCe
10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Its all preferance... i bought my asus laptop on ebay for $600 bux and its about the same specs as that apple.. cept i have a 2.13ghz n my hdd is 7200rpm

came with windows xp media eddition... i use it for tuning and to play games n so on...

if you plan on using it to play games.. or to tune ur car.. or data logging or school work or stuff like that... get a windows type laptop...

if you want to make movies... get an apple.. lol

Peter314
10-29-2007, 07:07 PM
My vote is for the macbook. I've had mine for a year now and it's great. I got the black one which in my opinion looks better. It also has has the N draft wireless and I think you can get a faster hard drive. I've loaded windows xp on it so that I can do my data logging and play games. But honestly I am booted on the mac side 98% of the time. The macs should be shipping with the new Leopard OS now too. I don't know if you have had the chance to play with it yet, but it's really nice. I plan on picking up a copy this week. The mac is a little different from the pc but once you get used to it, it's much easier too use.

PineApple
10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Everyone is jumping on the macbook. Its a trend.

Peter314
10-30-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't think it's a bandwagon. I had a powerbook before this one. The macs are getting more affordable, they look a lot better(the old ones looked cheap), and they are easier to use.

KooIDud3
12-16-2007, 12:13 AM
i like windows IMO. never cared to test out a mac just because i've had windows for a long time now.
Yeah i agree vista is doo doo. im glad i got my laptop before all new computer came with vista.

Skiracer
12-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Dell XPS laptops =$$$ I got a Dell Inspiron 1500 series laptop w/ 3GB RAM and seems to work fine with me....

antics22
01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
My vote is for the macbook. I've had mine for a year now and it's great. I got the black one which in my opinion looks better. It also has has the N draft wireless and I think you can get a faster hard drive. I've loaded windows xp on it so that I can do my data logging and play games. But honestly I am booted on the mac side 98% of the time. The macs should be shipping with the new Leopard OS now too. I don't know if you have had the chance to play with it yet, but it's really nice. I plan on picking up a copy this week. The mac is a little different from the pc but once you get used to it, it's much easier too use.

funny, im completely opposite. Got a macbook Pro but spend 90% of the time on the windows side.... Old habits die hard i guess but there are some programs taht I absolutely love on Windows (ACDsee being the top). Havent been able to locatea program with the same functionality for Mac....

I do love the form factor of the macbook though... just wished they added a right click for gods sake.

vial8or
01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
well ive always been a pc dude, but got a macbook pro for christmas. cousin has one so im familiar. love mac for its ease and good looks. plus, 1st thing i did was D/L parallesls, windows xp pro w/sp2 and install it. no issues, all the windows programs work great. best of both worlds. plus battery life is great too. and i love the camera!

Coolguy949
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
What do you use your laptop for? What programs? How often do you take it with you places? How often do you use the battery? This will help determine what's best for you.

I follow the computer industry closely, especially laptops. Answering those questions will help me narrow down laptop choices.

wayne
02-22-2008, 01:38 AM
you can get a decent graphics processor in the more expensive m1330, 3d if you care, not sure about the macbook

me like jello
02-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Everyone is jumping on the macbook. Its a trend.

i guess you can say its a band wagon? but then again its only because ppl being to realize that its so much more reliable. i mean to tell you th truth, theres not much of a wagon to jump on. the design might be clean, but they're nothing out of the ordinary. the capabilities of it are mainly for work and media pleasure, gaming is usually out of the question. imo, it is the reliability and they're ability to be overhauled and still maintain a very constant speed thats making everyone "jump on the band wagon" i myself said i would never purchase a macbook because i could not game with it, and now here i am with a macbook for about half a year now, and i love it. =)