PDA

View Full Version : If there were no religion in the world

Boosted
10-31-2007, 08:18 PM
The world would be a better place.

j_nizzle
10-31-2007, 08:18 PM
i thought you'd post a picture of a utopia.

Boosted
10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Ok imagine a world with no problems stemming from religious beliefs

Residue
10-31-2007, 10:10 PM
althought it would be nice...the eradication of all religions would reduce some of the sources of our problems and wars, we as humans will always find something to fight over, such as land, resources, people (labor), etc etc

edit: forgot some others: race, ethnicity, power distribution (hierarchy) the haves and have nots, minority vs majority yadda yadda

MRIslandStyle
10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
More people have died over religion than any other matter in history true.. but without religion a lot of people would be left to judge for themselves what is right and wrong... free will is dangerous. We'd always fight over something... it's human nature to be greedy along with wanting to be better than the next person.

I think religion or the aspect of believing in an idea is a good thing, because people need beliefs that give them hope. I just wish religions didn't hold themselves to be better than others... that's the shit that causes wars.

chavo_del_8
11-01-2007, 01:00 AM
If there were no religion in the world we'd find something else to fight over like Residue said. We are our own worst enemy.

Boosted
11-01-2007, 08:13 AM
If there were no religion in the world we'd find something else to fight over like Residue said. We are our own worst enemy.

Agreed, I think the only way religion could truly work is if there were only one and everyone followed it. But we all know thats never going to happen.

j_nizzle
11-01-2007, 08:27 AM
no religion = state of nature = we all kill each other anyway.

meh...the world is fkd either way. live with it or fight it and die.

CRX2EVO
11-01-2007, 09:17 AM
religion is a crutch for the weak

Boosted
11-01-2007, 09:51 AM
As well as an excuse for the insane.

kimletrim
11-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Imagine if John Lennon were still alive.

MRIslandStyle
11-01-2007, 10:23 AM

care to explain?

Boosted
11-01-2007, 10:27 AM

care to explain?

those who need strength call upon god for imaginary support.

MRIslandStyle
11-01-2007, 10:40 AM
What about those that pray to god to help others? How does it make that person praying weak? I pray for friends and family all the time and not so much myself. That's just a dumb comment grouping everything into one thing. Religion is like a club, for people to come together under an idea for enlightenment. To call it a crutch is simply retarded.

Wouldn't a person saying you're dumb because there is no god, be just as dumb because they can't prove there isn't one?

I'm a catholic and I can honestly say I don't know for sure that there is a god, but believing in the idea of god makes me feel better as I'm sure it does to other people.

Boosted
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
That is the whole spirit of religion though devoting your faith to the unknown. I Think the problem with modern religion is that the purest form of religion is forgotten and extorted. In my opinion religion is not a book, church temple, synagogue whatever... its a spiritual bond between you and you god. The problem is people misinterpret, over analyze and take thing out of context to create something completely different than what was originally intended. I am not hating on religion or anyones faith I just think that religion today is not what it was originally.

MRIslandStyle
11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I agree with you on that one...

I don't feel I need a building to practice faith as the bible says your body is your temple.... I don't feel I need to confess to a priest when I can talk to god directly... you're right I think religion has been taken from belief in an idea in it's purest form.

i wanted crx to explain though cuz dude be coming outta left field with asshat comments sometimes and I was just interested in what he had to say... haha.

CRX2EVO
11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
What about those that pray to god to help others? How does it make that person praying weak? I pray for friends and family all the time and not so much myself. That's just a dumb comment grouping everything into one thing. Religion is like a club, for people to come together under an idea for enlightenment. To call it a crutch is simply retarded.

Wouldn't a person saying you're dumb because there is no god, be just as dumb because they can't prove there isn't one?

I'm a catholic and I can honestly say I don't know for sure that there is a god, but believing in the idea of god makes me feel better as I'm sure it does to other people.

Catholicism is one of the most hypocritical religions if you as me lol. And you answered your own question in the statement in bold. You're not secure enough with yourself or your life without the belief in some imaginary character in the sky. That makes you weak.

MRIslandStyle
11-01-2007, 11:01 AM
You can have beliefs and be a realist at the same time Mike... No one can gaurantee that there is a god except for god himself... that doesn't make me unsure about my beliefs nor weak... it simply states the facts... a belief is not a fact it's an idea... and the idea of god is one I agree with and except... and the name is aaron.. not andy

CRX2EVO
11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
that was a typo lol

SoCalRedLine
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM
IMO... a comet was cruising by the earth one day, it sneezed off some bacteria, and it fell to earth...*bam* life...

one day that comet will return and kill us all... Â*

BE WARNED...

(im agnostic)

Boosted
11-01-2007, 11:15 AM
IMO... a comet was cruising by the earth one day, it sneezed off some bacteria, and it fell to earth...*bam* life...

one day that comet will return and kill us all...

BE WARNED...

(im agnostic)

I consider myself agnostic as well I am not devoted to one religion nor do I accept or deny the existence of any.

I am not sure if we are the result of a commets sneeze but I certainly think we started as a lower form and evolved into the state we are now.

CRX2EVO
11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Agnostic it is. Such a good word.

SoCalRedLine
11-01-2007, 11:28 AM
^yes it is... that way religious people dont look at you funny for being athiest...

Boosted
11-01-2007, 11:43 AM
^yes it is... that way religious people dont look at you funny for being athiest...

werd....

nijikon5
11-01-2007, 01:14 PM
stupid ass house niggas, i come in the name of jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsWskgKe5E

Boosted
11-01-2007, 01:28 PM

Thank you for proving my point!

Terry S
11-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Humanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism_%28life_stance%29) is the only logical answer.

Terry S

j_nizzle
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9P6Pnkp6U

Paul Walker
11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
my name is paul, but you can call me god

SoCalRedLine
11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Humanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism") is the only logical answer.

Terry S

i fixed your link. Ive heard about this before, but my Christian friend always wanted me to believe that it was like Scientology... (friggin cultists...) ...never thought to Wik it up...lol.

Terry S
11-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Humanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism") is the only logical answer.

Terry S

i fixed your link. Ive heard about this before, but my Christian friend always wanted me to believe that it was like Scientology... (friggin cultists...) ...never thought to Wik it up...lol.

lolz you messed it up too. I fixed my original post now.

Terry S

mattsevo
11-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Hmmm if there were no religion in the world.....
I think science would be the new religion which would be awesome! ;)

NMREJ6
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
no religion now thats a thought.

do you guys/gals give thanks on Thanksgiving? and if so who are you thanking?? I mean do you pray out to God, and give him thanks? Just a curious question no need to get all crazy.

j_nizzle
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
no religion now thats a thought.

do you guys/gals give thanks on Thanksgiving? and if so who are you thanking?? I mean do you pray out to God, and give him thanks? Just a curious question no need to get all crazy.

no offense to you but i would give thanks for being alive and having my loved ones around me. i truly believe there is no higher being that puts those people around me. if you can justify that a higher being had some part in that, more power to you!

CRX2EVO
11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
werd

I just say what I'm thankful for. I don't need to pretend some invisible man in the sky had anything to do with it.

NMREJ6
11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
okay, thats cool. Who are you thanking?? yourselves

j_nizzle
11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
okay, thats cool. Who are you thanking?? yourselves

im not thanking anyone...im thankful to have the people that are important to me in my life. i thank them if anything for being there.

NMREJ6
11-19-2007, 05:59 PM
^^ gotcha O0

SpdyEvo02
11-22-2007, 03:15 AM
you can prove there is a god then i will listen..other then that i really don't care

SoCalRedLine
11-22-2007, 03:34 AM
on thanks giving i give my thanks to Alah. Then i Jihad durka durka osama jihad on Whitey.

SpdyEvo02
11-22-2007, 03:48 AM
durka durka mohamad jihad??

SoCalRedLine
11-22-2007, 03:52 AM
jihad, bak alah mohammed jihad. bak, alah. durka durka?

silvery_eagle
11-23-2007, 12:11 PM
jihad, bak alah mohammed jihad. bak, alah. durka durka?

sup monkey

thepernicious1
11-27-2007, 04:35 PM
then people would have nothing to turn to in the face of death or dispair..nothing to help justify death or dying. just my thoughts

SoCalRedLine
11-27-2007, 04:40 PM
^why does death and despair require religion or justification?

do 1 cell organisms turn to Alah/Budah/Christ/God when they realize they only have 1.5hrs to live?

thepernicious1
11-27-2007, 04:50 PM
That's what I was trying to say exactly ...redline.... i was warming up to it...

Boosted
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
then people would have nothing to turn to in the face of death or dispair..nothing to help justify death or dying. just my thoughts

well than what is a fly thinking as the swatter is is rapidly approaching?

G20
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
You guys just opened a can of worm. Let open another can of worm. Do you think we're alone in the universe? Do you think we were a nature accident or intentional? :-)

Boosted
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Definitely not alone in the universe, its just too vast of an expanse and we haven't yet found the others.

G20
11-28-2007, 04:41 PM
^^That is the problem. To some people, when we haven't yet found the others it doesn't imply that there're others. It's funny to think that there's a "god" created all this and we're just one of the experiment projects. :-) I mean we can go back all the way and ask what happened before there's a universe?

Boosted
11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
there is no before there was a universe, the universe has always existed there just wasn't necessarily life within our solar system intelligent enough to to record any details about that time.

G20
11-29-2007, 10:32 AM
^^haha! at least you have your own answer. But science seem to agreed that the universe seem to expanding hence it must be one-upon-a-time much smaller than it is now. Most believed there was an event causing the expanding hence big-bang theory so it's hard to believe the universe has always there as you believed. It's interesting to learn what caused the bang and this lead to what was it before the universe.

Maybe there was a universe before our universe and it got sucked into a massive black hole and came out on the other end to become our universe. I should call it worm hole instead. LOL.

Boosted
11-29-2007, 11:02 AM
ok well if the "universe" is ever expanding where is the end of it and what is at the end? a black wall? we are a very small speck of existence in an unimaginably vast expanse of unknown. I always liked the end of the movie men in Black when they zoom out from tommy lee jones standing in his yard then into space then the galaxy and then we are marbles in a game of a pair of aliens are playing lol I like to think if I were to keep zooming out it would never end but instead give me a greater and greater perspective on life and nature. Minus our galaxy being contained in a marble... I think it would show other galaxies, solar systems and eventually all of space.... whats beyond that? who knows... I thought it was funny when they made the south park episode about lice and they have there own little city on someones head, what if were are so insignificant we are contained in a universe that is the size of what would be the equivalent of a speck of dust in something that is of a scale that is unfathomable. makes sense right?

flashfoto
11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
The world would be a better place.

Without a doubt. http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
ok well if the "universe" is ever expanding where is the end of it and what is at the end? a black wall? we are a very small speck of existence in an unimaginably vast expanse of unknown. I always liked the end of the movie men in Black when they zoom out from tommy lee jones standing in his yard then into space then the galaxy and then we are marbles in a game of a pair of aliens are playing lol I like to think if I were to keep zooming out it would never end but instead give me a greater and greater perspective on life and nature. Minus our galaxy being contained in a marble... I think it would show other galaxies, solar systems and eventually all of space.... whats beyond that? who knows... I thought it was funny when they made the south park episode about lice and they have there own little city on someones head, what if were are so insignificant we are contained in a universe that is the size of what would be the equivalent of a speck of dust in something that is of a scale that is unfathomable. makes sense right?

yes, at the end of the universe it litterally is, just a black empty space. and scientists have estimated that the univers is slowly decelerating at its expansion... like a ball that reaches its apex, they fear the universe may snap back, and colapse on itself and repeat the cycle...

it would be crazy to imagine that we are just beings, living on an electron, that orbits the nucleus (sun), among a bunch of other atoms, on a giant object that makes up something else (like a marble).

Boosted
11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
SO then whats outside of our universe?

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 12:32 PM
nothing

Boosted
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
... nothing... nahh come one there has to be something, we cannot be self contained within ourself...

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
^all the telescopes, and radio telescopes, and everything points to there being nothing but black nothingness past where the universe is expanding. iirc, its called teh event horizon (crazy movie)... and there is litterally nothing there (that we know of).

Boosted
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
could it be because we don't have the technology to view that far away to know what is there so we claim nothing...

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
^no, we can see that far away, we just cant see anything, so we claim nothing...

...then iirc, the program got into the whole idea of chaos theory and black matter, and anti-mater.

Boosted
11-29-2007, 01:20 PM
anti matter?

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM
^yes, theorectically where you are right now, there also exists teh exact opposite of you occupying the same space at the same time.

thats the only way 2 things can exist and occupy the same space at the same time.

its a precursor to time travel, warp whatever...

it helps to theorize how light, being photons (excited electrons with a specific mass), or gravity can exist and travel at the speed of light.

Boosted
11-29-2007, 02:14 PM
well that begs the question, do you think its possible that human will some day be able to travel at the speed of ligh? in which case will they be bale to surpass the speed of light and if so would they theoretically be able to be in two places at one time!?!?!?

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
^lol... travel at the speed of light... probably not (all kinds of mortality issues there, i.e. you almost pause in time, and everyone else doesnt).
and existing in 2 places, not possible (unless that other place is the anti-location).

BUT, if atoms were like light switches, where you could turn them on/off, then theoretically you should be able to turn them off in one location, and turn them on in another... right? l
ike downloading your meal for the day instead of leaving...

Boosted
11-29-2007, 02:44 PM
hmm, my old roommate had to watch some video his shrink game him and one of the segments discussed how scientist have been able to look at a single piece of matter under a microscope and it is in two separate locations... really trippy. I wish I remember what it was called but they also discussed brain chemistry and "messages from water"

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
^you gotta give me whatever youre smoking...lol. sounds pretty trippy to me...:D

Boosted
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
you like crack?

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
^only when its peeking out the back of some lowrise jeans on a hot blonde (chick)...

Boosted
11-29-2007, 03:01 PM
well alright, we should hang out!

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 03:07 PM
^lol...

silvery_eagle
11-29-2007, 03:20 PM
once upon a time when there was no universe, Chuck Noriss ...

... lol

Boosted
11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
^that wasn't funny at all

G20
11-29-2007, 04:54 PM
so let get back to the original topic. So if there's god:
Is god (notice that I didn't use he/she here since we can't assume anything about god) here in the universe or "somewhere" else?
If god is within the universe can god tell us something about it like how? when? where?

Obviously if god is beyond universe then it must be a piece of cake but it'll lead to bunch of other questions.

Terry S
11-30-2007, 11:37 AM
^all the telescopes, and radio telescopes, and everything points to there being nothing but black nothingness past where the universe is expanding. iirc, its called teh event horizon (crazy movie)... and there is litterally nothing there (that we know of).

Dude... Redline... You just let your stupid show again...

We haven't "seen to the edge of the universe". And an event horizon is NOTHING like the "end of the universe".

Event horizon is the point near a black hole in which nothing can escape: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_Horizon

The "deepest" view of the universe we've seen further proves that we really have no grasp to the actual dimentions of the universe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field

Hypothesis: Pot makes you stupid.

Evidence: You.

Winnar: Me.

Terry S

SoCalRedLine
11-30-2007, 02:07 PM
^what a douche... if you do some more research, you will find that we do have the ability to see the edge of the universe. with radio and microwave telescopes.

you are a douche bag...next time i see you im gonna kick you in the nuts.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/961202c.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1343171.stm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/05/060508112217.htm

and yes, i knew the event horizon was the point of no return on a black hole. Pot doesnt make you stupid, religion does.

Boosted
11-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Pot doesnt make you stupid, religion does.

10/10 would read again

Terry S
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
^what a douche... if you do some more research, you will find that we do have the ability to see the edge of the universe. with radio and microwave telescopes.

you are a douche bag...next time i see you im gonna kick you in the nuts.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/961202c.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1343171.stm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/05/060508112217.htm

and yes, i knew the event horizon was the point of no return on a black hole. Pot doesnt make you stupid, religion does.

Ok dude, srsly. The pot is starting to effect your brain. Lets break this down Barney style for you.

Your first link is a worthless quip from ***1996*** that just says that when you use a telescope, the light you see is the same as looking BACK IN TIME. Wooooo! /ghost effect

Your second link is a link to the exact same picture I already posted for you! It's not like looking at the edge of table or at the edge of a balloon. They picked a boring spot in the sky, focused a telescope for 100 hours straight and saw TONS of galaxies. It was looking BACK IN TIME again to billions of years ago. Again, this isn't looking out "to the edge of the universe", its looking at the early years of the universe.

Your third link is just stating that they detected hydrodgen molecules at a quasar. Not a big revelation there. The only interesting thing about this article is that they did so using a quasar that existed billions of light years ago. Again, not the edge of the universe, just confirming that things BACK IN TIME had hydrogen. Anyone who's picked up a copy of astronomy magazine can tell you that.

Srsly. Lay off teh weed yo. I like you but its making you fail almost as hard as commercial pot growing would if it were legalized.

Terry S

SoCalRedLine
11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
^lol...whatever man, im done...tired of getting punched below the belt with the pot comments.

ill find the article that referrs to what i was talking about, and re-read 'A brief history of Time,' again...then ill pwn you. no low blows needed on my part.

Terry S
11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Lethargy. Yet another negative side effect of weed. Dude, you cant keep giving me ammo like this.

Terry S

SoCalRedLine
11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
^lethargy? are you serious?

...unlike your twisted definition of a pothead, i work 3 jobs and go to school for mechanical engineering, sorry if i can be the OT queen you have become...lol

silly question:
Terry, you ever drink beer, liquor, or wine?

Terry S
11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
^lethargy? are you serious?

...unlike your twisted definition of a pothead, i work 3 jobs and go to school for mechanical engineering, sorry if i can be the OT queen you have become...lol

silly question:
Terry, you ever drink beer, liquor, or wine?

Only when I smoke a fat blunt with yer mom!

Terry S

SoCalRedLine
11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
^dude...my mom died of cancer of the boobs, i cant believe you'd dig her up just to smoke a blunt with her...

stupid necrophiliacs...

G20
11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
hmm! interesting... religion -> universe -> smoking pot -> trask talking...
Anyway! Last night Sci-fi channel reshow the movie K-PAX. I watched it many times and like it. It's very unique, interesting and has some deep philosophy behind it. If you like to wonder about the universe, it's one of the movies to watch.

kw4k
12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
the relationship between religion and science... good read <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relationship_between_religion_and_science">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relationship_between_religion_and_science</a> , but it's interesting to see scientists' take on the idea

<a href="http://religion.ssrc.org/reforum/Ecklund.pdf">http://religion.ssrc.org/reforum/Ecklund.pdf</a>
<a href="http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/050811_scientists_god.html">http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/050811_scientists_god.html</a>
<a href="http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8732">http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8732</a>

edit: /fail for repetition

LiquidLife
12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
stop fighting online and lets all play some Call of Duty 4

Terry S
12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I believe in Soulja boy! TELLEM!

Terry S

wayne
02-22-2008, 03:20 AM
If there were no religion in the world
some crazy fool would invent it.

Not that I have much love for organized religion, I might disagree with the religion caused most wars thing. Religion has caused wars and so has the study of history. In most causes I would suggest that religion was a tool used by the management to motivate the masses to go fight and die. And a suicide bomber would require a lot of motivation.

LiquidLife
02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
yeah, either stick yourself with a sword or blow up