PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to use the remote starter with the Viper 791XV alarm?

MRmdubz
11-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Have heard that it is not good to use a remote car starter...bad for the engine? is that true? has anyone been using this alarm system and the car starter without issues?

flipbboy03
11-04-2007, 07:37 AM
its not that it's bad for the engine. it all depends on the driver's manerism. some drivers put theyr' car into 1st gear when car's off, and some put it in neutral. If you are one of those drivers.... then good luck with the front bumper.

NRG
11-04-2007, 09:12 AM
^^Actually its not just your parking habits but more so if your car is parked on an incline. Personally I would never trust my e-brake to hold at even the slighest amount of incline therefore I WILL put her in gear. Call me paranoid but I just don't want to come back to my car and see it rolled 20 feet backwards and hit another parked car.

Peter314
11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
I heard it wont hurt your engine but it will eventually ruin your starter.

Skiracer
11-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Had remote start on my car for the past 2 years and no problems. Only reason why i got the remote start function is so that i have the alarm's built in turbo timer functionality. The alarm comes with a toggle switch so you can manually turn off the remote start if you wish.

ev0lution
11-04-2007, 11:00 AM
i was looking into getting that alarm. does the TT work good?

how much did you guys get it for and how much was install?

JCRUZ
11-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Had remote start on my car for the past 2 years and no problems. Â*Only reason why i got the remote start function is so that i have the alarm's built in turbo timer functionality. Â*The alarm comes with a toggle switch so you can manually turn off the remote start if you wish.

Skiracer, what kind of remote start do you have? Â*Been interested in this but don't know what's good. Â*Very convinient when I need to warm up the car in the morning. Â*Let me know. Â*Thanks! Â*O0

Skiracer
11-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Had remote start on my car for the past 2 years and no problems. Â*Only reason why i got the remote start function is so that i have the alarm's built in turbo timer functionality. Â*The alarm comes with a toggle switch so you can manually turn off the remote start if you wish.

Skiracer, what kind of remote start do you have? Â*Been interested in this but don't know what's good. Â*Very convinient when I need to warm up the car in the morning. Â*Let me know. Â*Thanks! Â*O0

I have the same alarm the OP was inquiring about. Cost me around $450 installed, but the shop that did my install recently went thru mgmt and worker change, so i don't know the quality of the work of the new owners.

ev0lution
11-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Had remote start on my car for the past 2 years and no problems. Only reason why i got the remote start function is so that i have the alarm's built in turbo timer functionality. The alarm comes with a toggle switch so you can manually turn off the remote start if you wish.

Skiracer, what kind of remote start do you have? Been interested in this but don't know what's good. Very convinient when I need to warm up the car in the morning. Let me know. Thanks! O0

I have the same alarm the OP was inquiring about. Cost me around $450 installed, but the shop that did my install recently went thru mgmt and worker change, so i don't know the quality of the work of the new owners.

thats scary....

JCRUZ
11-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Cool thanks! Â*Do you recommend any other that's a little lower in the price range?

ev0lution
11-04-2007, 11:16 AM
ive heard from 300 to 400 for system + install.

online its only like $185 - 200 for the system.

but i also want a good install. not a half ass job

i_Love
11-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Ive had my clifford remote start for about a year now with no problems...
http://www.clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=701

Just a reminder its illegal for any car place to make the remote start feature to work on manual cars...so your gonna need to know someone to get that done...

Since our keys are chip'd your gonna have to use your spare key that u have to place in the box to auto start.... I think it was about 80-100 bux to get another key made by the dealer...

Other feature's u can get on the remote is...

1. Turbo Timer - Set to either 1min 3min or 5min up to 30 min's

2. Auto roll up and down windows - I always forget or get lazy to roll up my windows so when i hit my lock button all my windows roll up..

3. Since we dont have the cool trunk open feature u can use that extra spot on the remote for something else! BE CREATIVE!!

only downside ive noticed right now is that the battery dies really really fast on the remote...

AaronI1
11-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I have a Python 1090, 2-way pager, remote start, built in turbo timer. they're practically all the same. This alarm is pretty sweet.

ev0ninerr
11-04-2007, 01:38 PM
ive heard from 300 to 400 for system + install.

online its only like $185 - 200 for the system.

but i also want a good install. not a half ass job
go to SSP. contact J_nizzle to get it done.

i_Love
11-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I have a Python 1090, 2-way pager, remote start, built in turbo timer. they're practically all the same. This alarm is pretty sweet.

Very True! there all from the same company...just different names....

http://www.directed.com/

ev0lution
11-04-2007, 01:42 PM
prices and install prices for all posts would be helpful ^^

AaronI1
11-04-2007, 02:00 PM
um,

prices and install prices for all posts would be helpful ^^

I really dont remember.Â* I blame it on the Kush :buck2:Â* Um, i think with install, it was around 4-5 bills.

i_Love
11-04-2007, 05:49 PM
$Free.99!!

Gotta love having the hookups!

ev0lution
11-04-2007, 08:21 PM
$Free.99!!

Gotta love having the hookups!

being a fellow evo brother..... you'll hook it up ??

PineApple
11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes its true that it is illegal to install a remote start system on a manual transmission. I don't see anything wrong with it. I've had it on my ranger for over 5 years and it is manual transmission and I have had absolutely no problems with it. I don't know why it would make the starter die sooner or any of that. Works great. Cost me 350 for the clifford alarm with LCD pager with the remote and install.

boostinbyyou
11-05-2007, 01:36 AM
a grounding spring will take care of the unwanted jump when parked in gear....

when in gear, the spring is touching, therefore grounding it....telling the system its in gear and not to start.......

with it out of gear, the spring doesnt touch or ground, telling the system, its ok to start.....

and spencer...........stop showing off........lmao.......you told me about the hookup first.....lol...
and im still waiting......

Skiracer
11-05-2007, 01:42 AM
a grounding spring will take care of the unwanted jump when parked in gear....

when in gear, the spring is touching, therefore grounding it....telling the system its in gear and not to start.......

with it out of gear, the spring doesnt touch or ground, telling the system, its ok to start.....

and spencer...........stop showing off........lmao.......you told me about the hookup first.....lol...
and im still waiting......

Hey Boostin, would u know how to install this grounding spring thingy? Can u do it on mine?

boostinbyyou
11-05-2007, 02:24 AM
im working really closely with my friends shop at the moment on this.......

we are thinking, two weeks and it will be perfected.......

you will see my thread on it soon..........

maybe you can be next......after i get it, of course........lol

i_Love
11-05-2007, 09:58 AM
me no showing offo!! I'm just informing the community on how it works! bwhahahahaha

bwhahaha next time i got to SD ill ask for you...

Which was sopose to be this weekend but some other stuff came up so i didnt go...

jasonsevoixmr
11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
i ve had my viper alarm for about a year, nothing wrong with it ,like said before batterys die fast, on the pager. my alarm was about 250/w 2-way pager and relys,engine start/kill,and install $80.friend and myself....and you dont need any ex-keys..someone said.

i_Love
11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
i ve had my viper alarm for about a year, nothing wrong with it ,like said before batterys die fast, on the pager. my alarm was about 250/w 2-way pager and relys,engine start/kill,and install $80.friend and myself....and you dont need any ex-keys..someone said.

Really u didnt need to use your extra key?? Then what did u put in the black box??! I dont think the car would start without a key in that black box thingy...

unless u guys are very sneaky ninja's who bypass'd all that!! hahahaha

silvery_eagle
11-15-2007, 04:09 PM
u'd need extra key.
if u're paranoid about the key being there, get a hammer, bend it, crush it (only the metal) such that it's impossible to stick the key back in to the hole, and put back into the black box.