PDA

View Full Version : Amp Location?

Oreganoflow
11-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm installing a 2 channel amp and a 4 channel amp this weekend, any photos or idea on where to install them??? I'm also installing a 10" sub box.

PineApple
11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Seen many people just mount them straight to the back of the rear seat.Â* Depends on what amps you get those.Â* Rockford makes some super sweet amps that are pretty small for the power that they punch.Â* You could even get away with puting those ones underneath your drivers/passenger seats depending on which amp you get.1 10" box and a 2 channel?Â* Why not just a mono bd amp?

Edit: What kind of music do you listen to since you are talking about getting a 10".

ZZZccHH
11-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Also remember canyon runs... SO mount your box because a 10 inch box will fly and thats the last thing you want . I would mount the amp to the back of the seat. Good question Pineapple... 10inch sub probably rock or country ? LoL

boostinbyyou
11-05-2007, 01:43 AM
i mounted my amp to the back of the seat.....really good too....even shady homies have tried to take it out....hahahahah

and the box.....i used industrial hooks, screwed into the sides of the box.....

then used my handy/collectors rope and tied it to the strut brace ends....

the rope is acually the telephone wires used in T3 the movie.....black ninja style shit.....lol

1 year later, that shit is still in its place....and i have a 12inch sub.....

dabie
11-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I would probably put the amp under the seat.. the back seat cover seems kinda flimsy if you are going to use a bigger amp

boostinbyyou
11-06-2007, 02:25 AM
we put in some wood to support it...........

that shit is on there really good.....

and like is says above my avatar.....*in tripod mode daily**

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

PineApple
11-06-2007, 08:59 AM
heh 2 the tripod mode daily. Like I said, rockford makes some new small powerhouse amps that will definately be able to fit under the seats, should be a real clean install. Make sure you tune it first though before cleaning it all up :P.

white9
11-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Also remember canyon runs... SO mount your box because a 10 inch box will fly and thats the last thing you want . I would mount the amp to the back of the seat. Good question Pineapple... 10inch sub probably rock or country ? LoL

^^ my amps are on the back off my rear seat and yes in the canyons u have to make sure that ur boxes dont slide forward and hit the amps ^^

boostinbyyou
11-06-2007, 11:42 AM
heh 2 the tripod mode daily.

nOOb!^^^^.......

mounting the amp under the seat will never get you *clean install points**....

and you might just overheat it.......

take it from someone who has been in the game for over 10yrs.......

under the seat= FAIL......

tie the box to the strut brace and you can go all day at the track....and bump it the whole time....

PineApple
11-06-2007, 12:00 PM
INstalling under the seat looks clean. don't get a shitty amp or try and push 2 1200watt subs with a 1000 watt max amp and you shouldn't overheat. Don't go cheap and you will be fine. I've never had a problem with overheating, even when just having amps sitting on the carpet with no buffer zone underneath. But eh, why doesn't it not seem like the original poster even gives a fuck what is going on in here? No replies from great input.

white9
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
my left sub wont work now :( wiring is f'ed i think

Oreganoflow
11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
But eh, why doesn't it not seem like the original poster even gives a fuck what is going on in here? No replies from great input.

What do you want me to say, "Thanks?" or "OK?" I've read every response on here and I'm still trying to decide. I'm leaning more towards under the seats as the amps aren't that large.

PineApple
11-09-2007, 01:33 PM
What amps did you get?

Oreganoflow
11-14-2007, 11:36 PM
I've had them for a few years and they've seen a few cars of mine. A PPI 2 channel and Kenwood 4 channel.

IH8VTEC
06-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Dead thread bump

Why is under the seat bad? I would think an enclosed trunk would be hotter in the SoCal heat than the a/c'd cabin. Looking to install a 4ch Alpine 200w for my cabin speakers.

ev0lution
06-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Dead thread bump

Why is under the seat bad? I would think an enclosed trunk would be hotter in the SoCal heat than the a/c'd cabin. Looking to install a 4ch Alpine 200w for my cabin speakers.

mines under the seat, need to take the whole seat out tho

IH8VTEC
06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Dead thread bump

mines under the seat, need to take the whole seat out tho

I figured that much, no big deal I guess.
Boostin warns it's a FAIL though, just wondering what the drawback is. I come from a shitty winter weather state where it would be unthinkable to put an amp under the seat where your passengers would kick slush and snow all over it. Out here though I would think the enclosed trunk would be alot hotter and be more work for the amp. almost all my cars have been hatchbacks (mitsu and nissan, no fkn hondas) so everything was defaulted to the hatch which was kept cool when I ran the a/c. One car I had in Arizona had a regular trunk and sometimes I had to fold down the seats because the amp would shut down. Not an option in the Evo. If its an aesthetic thing then fine, I don't think you'll be able to see much of the amp, there is plenty of space under the seat for the one I'm going with.

Trev
07-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Alot of amp installs are put under the seat. If it's a good quality amp then it wont overheat. Only reason I'd say put it in the trunk with your subs is if you were doing a custom box with amp racks. That would be more for show. If you don't care about what it looks like then under the seat is fine.

IH8VTEC
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I went with the Alpine MRP F300, its 50w x 4 RMS. Nothing crazy. Under the seat will swallow this thing, most shouldn't even know it's there. I bought a piece of Plexiglas to mount it on instead of directly on the carpet. I'll probably post my install pics in it's own thread. Just got the Dynamat in and am shopping amp wiring kits and speaker wire at the moment.

evobros
07-10-2010, 10:49 PM
i have my JL audio under my passenger seat and i have lowering brakets on them :)

IH8VTEC
07-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Anyone have any tips on how and where to get the amp power cable through the firewall? I poked around last night and I see no obvious way to do it. How did you guys run yours?

IH8VTEC
08-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Ok, I'm half done running it through the fender. I used the hole where a wiring harness and the hood release cable exit to the fender. I used an xacto knife to cut a plus sign cut in the plug and pushed the wire through. I used a coat hanger to help fish it through the fender and removed some fender liner clips to gain access inside. I've read that this is not a preferred method according to some on evom and that drilling a hole in the firewall takes two minutes. I got down and looked all around for a better way and I could not find it. Drilling through the firewall for me was not going to happen, I don't even know how I would fit the drill up under the dash or in the engine compartment to get the hole where I would want it or need it. Fishing the wire took five minutes and when I'm done it will be completely stealth. I'm wrapping the wire in black plastic wire sheath and zip tying it to the factory wiring that is already running the same direction. Only the eagle eyed will notice the fuse holder stashed next to the battery, I think I will paint it black. I have the cable zip tied to the harness in the fender so there is no movement and it is not going through the door so I'm not worried about chaffing the wire. I think this is ok, it's out of the way of everything and actually following factory wiring, it will be invisible once installed completely. A downside noted is that the wire running down through the cut plug tends to carry water down the cable and inside the car and corrode connections. I am going to seal the cuts in the rubber plug with silicone sealant so that should take care of this problem, besides the car stays garaged when not in use and lives in southern CA, not exactly going to see a lot of rain. Appreciate any comments or advice, I know I'm late to the audio game but this section seems pretty stagnant.

evobros
08-01-2010, 01:40 AM
the firewall has a rubber piece u could remove or cut a hole thru it...

DynamicEVO8
08-01-2010, 03:39 AM
I have my two kenwood amps under my front seats. I didnt need to take out my front seats, and ran my power cable throught the firewall around my throttle linkage. Seem to work out fine for me hope it helps.

IH8VTEC
08-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I have the fender install done and pretty clean. I'll check out the throttle spot and see if I want to switch.

IH8VTEC
08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
the firewall has a rubber piece u could remove or cut a hole thru it...
Where?

one4
08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
^on the passenger side behind the strut tower area... kinda hard to explain... its tucked up on the right side behind the glovebox... u can reach up and pull the rubber thing out. i routed my wires and vacum lines for my boost gauge thru it. way better and safer than the fenders.

IH8VTEC
08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Thats probably where my zietronix is routed. Seems like it would take more wire to go through the engine bay than in through the fender. Why is the fender not safe? I have the cable zip tied so it doesn't move and sealed off. I'll be mounting my amps this weekend. I'm running a 4ga power cable to a distribution block and then two 8ga power cables to my amps. If there is a reason the fender is not safe, I assume chaffing and shorting would be the worry, then I'll pull it and rerun it.

one4
08-05-2010, 07:57 AM
^ exactly. i had a shop hook up my vacuum lines when i first got my car and the routed thru the fender... took it to another shop and they were like wtf? if the tire hits this it will rip it right out. so i took it out and went thru the firewall. its only like an extra 3ft of wire. i can take pics of the engine bay where the wire is routed if u like.

IH8VTEC
08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
^ exactly. i had a shop hook up my vacuum lines when i first got my car and the routed thru the fender... took it to another shop and they were like wtf? if the tire hits this it will rip it right out. so i took it out and went thru the firewall. its only like an extra 3ft of wire. i can take pics of the engine bay where the wire is routed if u like.

A pic of your setup would be appreciated, I'll post how I did mine. Also show possum delete mod if you can. Thanks!

one4
08-06-2010, 12:40 PM
lol for sure. ill get some pics tonight or tommorow morning.

IH8VTEC
08-06-2010, 05:21 PM
This shows the layout and installation. the cable is not 100% in it's final location because I need some wiggle room to install the fuse when everything is hooked up but It's pretty much where it's going to go. It will get zip tied to a few locations and blend even better. The cable is running next to the factory harness in the fender above the wheel well and the big grommet is sealed with silicone to prevent water ingress.

one4
08-06-2010, 09:06 PM
that looks good... as long as it doesnt run in the actual wheel well you are good. lol

IH8VTEC
08-06-2010, 11:24 PM
No, it's up above the splash guards. It runs alog the big bundle you see in the second pic.

Started a thread on my install.
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=100414.0

honda7861
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
U can just mount it on top or rear of the sub box. That's how I have it. Amp mounted directly on subbox

EvoTrooper
02-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I had a lot of questions about this, but thanks to you guys i have enough info