PDA

View Full Version : Newb question about gauges

bosshero
11-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Hello,
I saw some posts regards about Defi gauges. The question is why gauges need a control unit? What is that for? Do I require on if I buy the gauges?
Thanks.
Charlie

tanK
11-29-2007, 01:06 AM
It really depends on the series you get. I think most of the newer Defi gauges require a control unit. The gauges basically plug into the control unit... and you can "control" the gauges (set warning beeps, brightness levels etc.)

dabie
11-29-2007, 01:27 AM
the main ones that people get that require a control unit are the Defi BF series gauges. however, some of their other models do not require it.

greddy, hks, prosport, apexi and most others dont require it as well

bosshero
11-29-2007, 10:05 AM
the main ones that people get that require a control unit are the Defi BF series gauges. however, some of their other models do not require it.

greddy, hks, prosport, apexi and most others dont require it as well

It really depends on the series you get. I think most of the newer Defi gauges require a control unit. The gauges basically plug into the control unit... and you can "control" the gauges (set warning beeps, brightness levels etc.)

Thanks guy!

v8hater
11-29-2007, 10:10 AM
The control unit also has a function where you can record and play back what your guages were reading for a set amount of time. I think 3 minutes

bosshero
11-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I just check Apexi website
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electronics_detail.asp?id=205&pageNum=1
they have the control unit too.

bosshero
11-29-2007, 10:11 AM
The control unit also has a function where you can record and play back what your guages were reading for a set amount of time. I think 3 minutes

What if I don't want the control unit. Is that ok?

v8hater
11-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Then you have to get a different series of defi guages.

But imo if you can afford to get guages with a playback function you should get them. It is very hard to drive safely and look at your guages at the same time. The boost playback is really helpful to see how much boost taper you have