PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming omg we are so fu*ked!

Boosted
11-29-2007, 10:26 AM
NO really whats the deal? I am not sure I fully understand the fear the "global warming" instills in people. From what I understand and interpret based on the information I have been presented the polar ice caps are melting thanks to human life and our blatant disregard of nature and the "warning signs" she has been providing us. But what are we fearing? an increased water supply? a change in the weather patterns? Disease and famine running rampant across the globe?

Well lets take a few things into consideration before we go jumping to conclusions, at some point areas such as Alaska were supposedly thriving sub tropical paradises full of sea life beautiful forests and thriving full of life. somewhere between now and then an ice age occurred essentially freezing over the whole damn place and as water freezes it expands filling in that majestic landscape freezing the entire region in time. However yet again life managed to surpass all odds and survive through the harshest of climate changes. Now thousands of years later that same ice is finally melting and we are scared? That a prehistoric ice age is finally coming to a close? Yes the sea level will rise! Yes the Climate will in fact shift, in my opinion it has already shown significant changes, in the fact anyone who likes winter sports in southern California knows that winter has been arriving later and STAYING later leaving us with enjoyable snow as late as june nearly july!

My point being life has survived some of the most severe climate shifts imaginable and this shift is not only inevitable as long as human life exists on this planet, but a fact of nature we and our future generations will forever be dealing with. As the old saying goes "history repeats itself" perhaps even beyond the previous ice age in prehistoric times there has been other ice ages and meltdowns? Why are we fearing the inevitable in which we have caused and possibly could have never even avoided? The fact is we are basing claims on evidence that spans over as very short period of time that is but a fraction of a percent of the time this planet could have possibly existed.

So what can we do? Well I suppose society as a whole could shift to accommodate the fear. We can all recycle, and find new methods of manufacturing, and drive hybrids, hydrogen and solar powered vehicles, we can eliminate our need for fossil fuels by growing crops that can be converted to ethanol like corn and hemp. Well the problem is its a big transition from where we were headed 50 years ago. The other issue is that people typically don't like change even in situations that will be beneficial to all parties involved that fear of the unknown is yet another barrier we are facing. Ideally We would start from our core The government would convert to an entire Hybrid fleet perhaps at some point electric or hydrogen. Next would be the industrial sector, we have all see a fully loaded 18 wheeler chugging up a hill expelling copious amounts of black emissions now imagine that on a state wide scale... next national... and then global? pretty disgusting isn't it? Well we live in a bitchy society full of whiners and complainers and yet no one is doing anything significant to help resolve this "problem". How about we as a society stop discussing and begin changing if we are so certain as to what the problem is. Talk is cheap, if you are so afraid change.

discuss.

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
ill show you global warming:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/UndeadFaith/OH_NOES.jpg

Boosted
11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
What can $611,000,000,000.00 USD buy?

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/gallery/251007war_costs/

This is one of the many flaws we suffer from in America, Poor leadership.

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Almost 18 months' worth of free gas for everyone
US drivers consume approximately 384.7 million gallons of gasoline a day. Retail prices averaged $3.00 a gallon in early November. Breaking it down, $611 billion could buy gasoline for everybody in the United States, for about 530 days.

With $611 billion, you could convert all cars in America to run on ethanol nine times over.

TheBudgetGraph.com estimates that converting the 136,568,083 registered cars in the United States to ethanol (conversion kits at $500) would cost $68.2 billion.

More than a year's worth of Medicare benefits for everyone
In fiscal 2008, Medicare benefits will total $454 billion, according to a Heritage Foundation summary. The $611 billion in war costs is 17 times the amount vetoed by the president for a $35 billion health benefit program for poor children.

According to World Bank estimates, $54 billion a year would eliminate starvation and malnutrition globally by 2015, while $30 billion would provide a year of primary education for every child on earth.

At the upper range of those estimates, the $611 billion cost of the war could have fed and educated the world's poor for seven years.

these are real things we could do, yet more people want death and destruction

flashfoto
11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
The real kicker is that the end result of global warming is another ice age. There was a good program on this but I can't remember the name of it.

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
^an inconvenient truth

Boosted
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
The real kicker is that the end result of global warming is another ice age. There was a good program on this but I can't remember the name of it.

so what the hell is wrong with everyone? has religion convinced everyone this is the end of the world?

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
another crazy couple of things to think about...

we are 100 years overdue for a major earthquake along the San Andreas Fault (maximum possible can be an 8.1)

the earth is already showing signs of a magnetic polar shift (where we will have no magnetosphere procecting us from radiation from the sun for up to 100 years)

the moon is drifting away at 1-2" per year

since the advent of the atomic clock, scientists have realized that the earth is slowing down its rotation every year, due to tidal shifts causing drag.

still think its 'religion' pushing the 'end of world' theory?

Boosted
11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
its simple, ice weighs less than water of equal volume, the more ice melts the heavier the earth becomes, the heavier the earth becomes the slower it rotates.

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 02:12 PM
no...

we have a total set weight on this planet... it remains the same weight no matter what state the water is in...

lol... its the effect of the moon pulling on the tide, and the water acting like a proper damper should.

you ever seen a hydraulic (water) earthquake damper on a bulding? it cancels out the vibration so fast it aint funny.

Boosted
11-29-2007, 02:20 PM
well the moon's polarity controls the tide right? there for the more water there is the the moons effects on the tide will effect our rotation ya? it all goes back to global warming zomg the polar ice caps are melting as we speak, maybe if everyone runs test pipes we can spee up this process and instigate another ice age resolving this issue.

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2007, 02:35 PM
^hell yea, then its year round snowboarding/snowsports FTMFW!!!

Boosted
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
TURBO WEATHER FTW!

Evo121
11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
One day its hot, the next day its freezing

nothere
11-29-2007, 08:20 PM
if you are willing to consider the fact that the earth's climate is fluid and not fixed is it coherent to think people are the cause of climate change?. The biggest player in global climate is the earth itself. The climate would be in flux even without a single living creature on it.
The problem of pollution is real, but it has more to do with fears of health issues arising from pollution, not that it is causing global warming. The USA has made very real progress with pollution.

Please think before you tout alternative energy sources as the answer. By the time you factor in manufacture, transportation, maintenance, wind mills, solar, and such can't compete. If you want alternate sources that is great, but don't confuse your reasoning with saving the planet. Alternative energy is a simple idea with tons of nefarious thinking behind it, and in front of that morass is the facade of simple minded people expressing in their minds a noble concept.
Planning for future energy needs is another matter.

rammsteinmatt
11-29-2007, 08:37 PM
so lets change. start by putting a cat back onto your car...............

also the hydrogen cells, yea thats a solution for the generally dumb public. hydrogen gives a nearly limitless fuel supply. however the emissions, water vapor, are a far greater greenhouse gas than CO2 and NOx

and the US should implement cleaner engines and emissions? start with china, south america, and eastern europe. we are so much cleaner then the rest of them. telling us to change is preaching to the choir of sorts

Boosted
11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I think I may have been misinterpreted in the second half of my first post. I did not intend to preach about change. I personally think we as a country halve already taken and continue to take steps to reduce pollution. This is most noticeable in the shitty watered down version of EVERY car we get compared to the beefed up euro/jdm/adm cars the rest of the world gets .I was more or less making a mockery of the "fear factor" involved with this issue and the fact we are afraid of ice melting....

LiquidLife
12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
its simple, ice weighs less than water of equal volume, the more ice melts the heavier the earth becomes, the heavier the earth becomes the slower it rotates.

Ugh...... the weight doesn't change

TURBO WEATHER FTW!

You seem like you are on crack... (hyperactive)

Boosted
12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
definitely hyperactive at times but certainly not on crack.

LiquidLife
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
hehe

SoCalRedLine
12-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Ugh...... the weight doesn't change

ECHO! ...echo ...echo ...echo ...echo

no...

we have a total set weight on this planet... it remains the same weight no matter what state the water is in...

lol... its the effect of the moon pulling on the tide, and the water acting like a proper damper should.

you ever seen a hydraulic (water) earthquake damper on a bulding? it cancels out the vibration so fast it aint funny.

LiquidLife
12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
On the subject of echo, the planet is measured by mass, not weight; weight is a product of mass and gravity w = mg

leaveit2bevo
12-12-2007, 12:31 PM
my gf's geography book said that now the most accepted theory is that global warming killed the dinosaurs, so people can blame everything on global warming. last I heard the most accepted theory was a asteroid killed them. If thats true were fucked regardless of emissions...

SoCalRedLine
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
^yea, supposedly we are going to have a near miss with a large asteroid in 2026... or something to that effect. its only 400yards in diameter, but it can put us all into an iceage for 100 years. Also, supposedly all but 12% of the population will die of starvation and cold. (that 12%, are the people that own all the oil)

(all of this is from the myriad of shows i watch on the Science channel...i have an addiction... i cant help it...)

LiquidLife
12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
On the subject of space, there is a huge methanol cloud out there:

Astronomers hope that observations of this gas cloud - taken with the UK's MERLIN radio telescopes - could help our understanding of how the most massive stars in our galaxy are formed. However, all those hoping for a taste of the interstellar tipple will be disappointed.

Dr Harvey-Smith, principal investigator for the study, said: “Although it is exciting to discover a cloud of alcohol almost 300 billion miles across, unfortunately methanol, unlike its chemical cousin ethanol, is not suitable for human consumption!”

http://www.labnews.co.uk/cms_images/Image/Orion_1.jpg

It's suitable for Evo consumption, go out there and get me some Meth!

Terry S
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I think that cloud is in the Pleiades cluster...

Terry S

LiquidLife
12-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I think that cloud is in the Pleiades cluster...

Terry S

Great! Now we just have to get it

chavo_del_8
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I wonder what Albert Gore thinks about all this. I mean the earth is getting 1 degree warmer each decade!

Boosted
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
holy shit that means in 50 years it will be 5 degrees warmer we are certainly doomed

Terry S
12-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I wonder what Albert Gore thinks about all this. I mean the earth is getting 1 degree warmer each decade!

For those who work in absolutes, the actual "official**" warming estimates indicated that the entire 20th century (1900-1999) the temperatures raised 0.6 deg. Celsius +/- 0.6 deg. Celsius.

Terry S

**Due to the hundreds of different "calculations", the actual numbers are unconfirmable and all current calculations remain largely unreliable.

LiquidLife
12-26-2007, 09:49 PM
You're largely unreliable ^

Racing Chick
12-26-2007, 11:13 PM
I saw a show on the discovery channel that stated no matter what we do the polar ice caps will melt because it's part of the earths life cycle and though we in part "may" have only sped up that cycle, but not dooming ourseves.

Eckolaker
12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.holysmoke.org/cretins/cre-ice.htm

wayne
02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
I do not really believe that we understand the "global warming trend" that has occurred over the past few decades. The climate models did not include clouds until a few years ago, and I am pretty sure many still don't. Water cycle yes, maybe even average reflectivity, but not real moving clouds. Simple point, storms can transport a retarded amount of energy. Like almost every advance so far, we will start pulling on the engineering side of things, yes weather control, you know Blue Sky over the Beijing Olympics and then science will catch up and create a semi-empirical theory and engineering will improve and so on. Sorry about the polar bears, but sorry about the big cats as well.