PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about Gymkhana

Evo121
12-09-2007, 08:42 AM
What do you guys think about this style of driving?

EVOMANIAC
12-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Most people dont know what it is. I think it is pretty cool and would like to do it.

LB_CT9A
12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
i think its dope..but i dont think it would get that popular over here..have you heard of that backyard special 1stgen. crx w/ an 4ag rear mounted motor?! thats a dope ass gymie car

Boosted
12-09-2007, 02:20 PM
i think its dope..but i dont think it would get that popular over here..have you heard of that backyard special 1stgen. crx w/ an 4ag rear mounted motor?! thats a dope ass gymie car

Yea backyard special is really sick I have seen that crx before also with the engine right behind the drivers seat. Gymkhana is a pretty intense style of driving it requires A LOT of car control to be fast. But it makes for a pretty cool sport it requires less space than autox and although I have never done it, seems like it would develop some excellent skills that would translate well into any form of motor sports.

LB_CT9A
12-09-2007, 02:56 PM
thats true too..but where in the hell in cali can this be done?! on top of that i dont think there would be that many people like i said before that would be intrested..they would probably rather just autox than gymie

Boosted
12-09-2007, 03:26 PM
thats true too..but where in the hell in cali can this be done?! on top of that i dont think there would be that many people like i said before that would be intrested..they would probably rather just autox than gymie

The problem is any major news of the sport is still fairly fresh for the people stateside so it hasn't really had a chance to catch on. But in a fashion similar to the way drifting has taken off once people begin to see more of and understand the sport I am sure it will become about as popular as autox. As far as where it can be done anywhere that autox can be and even smaller lots than that can be used for gymkhana.

Evo121
12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
take it to the canyons and bust out with the skills

LB_CT9A
12-09-2007, 04:01 PM
it would be nice tho to have that out here..i would love to try it out..

The problem is any major news of the sport is still fairly fresh for the people stateside so it hasn't really had a chance to catch on. But in a fashion similar to the way drifting has taken off once people begin to see more of and understand the sport I am sure it will become about as popular as autox. As far as where it can be done anywhere that autox can be and even smaller lots than that can be used for gymkhana.

MoReRyCe
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
yea it would be interesting.. but i like speed... lol

Residue
12-09-2007, 07:33 PM
they've held these events at least twice this year at el toro...looks interesting

Boosted
12-09-2007, 07:39 PM
are you sure you aren't referring to the scca pro solo events? because that is autox

MoReRyCe
12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
i heard they had a Gymkhana event there recently my friend paul went to it..

Boosted
12-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I very well could be wrong I just haven't heard of any gymkhana events there yet. But if there was one you should post it up in the motor sports sections and see if we can get some evos to go I would be down I live like 20 minutes away from el toro,

Residue
12-09-2007, 08:57 PM
last event was in June, and no mention of a future event, but here's the site: http://www.gymkhanausa.com/

Boosted
12-10-2007, 01:51 AM
oh sweet, thanks for the link man I will keep an eye out!

lg_4g
10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Gymkhana would be fun as hell but i dont think the evo would do very well due to its weight.

You would have to set your car up to have a loose rear end for some of those tight turns and circles.

S2myEVO
10-05-2008, 06:45 PM
necrobump. ftl

Sam Smash
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
I try to google this and see a bunch of horses hahahaha

isamu
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Here is a link for Japanese Gymkhana.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYDr7VAfXU

Isamu

evoruff
10-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Vid is sick, a Japan style similar to usa autocross

LaminarFlow
10-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Thats a bit different than our SCCA autox. We don't ever overlap the course (or very very rarly on maybe a 360 cone). We also don't have many instances where we'd ever need to ebrake to rotate the tail. That gymkana is much more technical that we get here. I really admire the skill those guys have!! Wish we had something like that here.

fastkevin
10-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I personally think the only thing that matters with regards to auto sports, is time and distance. You'er either the first one to finish, or you have the quickest time. Anything that you get scored by judges for is not a sport, IMO. It may be fun to do, and it prolly improves skill, but I'm old school, and if you're not the first one across the finish line, have the quickest time, or have scored the most points against your opponent(s), it's not a sport. I go back and forth with golf. I can't decide whether it's a sport, or simply competition. If you can swig a 5th of JD(coughJohnDailycough), and still do well, how's it a sport?
Gymnastics, figure skating, snychronized swimming (for chrissake) are things that require people to judge your form, and like drifting, are competition(like checkers, or dog shows), but not sport, IMO.

mystik_khmer
10-29-2008, 11:52 PM
http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=9vpJhYHekJg&feature=related

Dr_Evo_9
12-09-2008, 11:48 PM
i wanna try it but dont know where to go!

Don Nguyen
04-10-2009, 10:53 AM
It's different. I'd try it, but it's not something I am going out of my way to find right now.

-Don

jamesinger
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
this isn't really the "pure" style or whatever but I love the idea of a car jungle gym:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms

Wicked1307
04-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Super Sick!! Did you guys see ken Block on youtube??

jamesinger
04-13-2009, 11:13 PM
i wanna try it but dont know where to go!

it seems like the dirt patch on the side of the road by Malibu has been a hot spot lately.

pjb00stin
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Super Sick!! Did you guys see ken Block on youtube??

yes/.i believe it was posted about 5 times.

Wicked1307
04-13-2009, 11:16 PM
lol well it is amazing

gt40
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Here is a finished "infomercial":

http://auto.dcshoes.com/features/ken-block-blog/

I am not into drifting but that's some crazy driving.

aguilar45
06-03-2009, 11:38 AM
That is some Crazy Driving! Who doesn't love EXPLOSIONS? :uglystupid2:

tacticalblack
06-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I've been interested in Gymkhana ever since running across some of Ken Block's videos on you tube, but it seems that some Gymkhana courses get so intricate that they would be challenging to just memorize !!!

Jeffs2006EvoIX
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds good, but would take allot of practice, if tracks are close by then why not, but for me Solo II is the ticket. Fun, doesn't beat up your car, and almost anywhere has them. Race against a clock not a person so your safe there too. Im looking to try out Streets of Willows after Summer, then hope to bump up to Willow Springs. Need to aquire better skills before trying anything like what your showing, thats for sure.

jamesinger
06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
I really like the idea of a playground for cars.
If it isn't competitive really, that is even cooler.
It is like a sandbox and swingset for car freaks that aren't scared to lose a bumper.
:coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley:

obstacle1
06-27-2009, 09:57 PM
yea a playground for cars^^

CSK1
06-28-2009, 07:15 PM
To me, this is just some rich asshat showing off. Ken Block is a doosh.

tacticalblack
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Rich, yes. "Doosh", I respectfully disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0yC-ACZxQ&feature=haxa_popt02us05

jamesinger
07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Rich, yes. "Doosh", I respectfully disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0yC-ACZxQ&feature=haxa_popt02us05

repost.

but you didn't disagree with asshat...LOL.

Ken Block is a good driver. I can't do that shit at least.

I like to Smash
07-24-2009, 10:41 AM

no reason for ken block to show off to impress you, gymkhana is a mktg tool for DC and Subaru.

Ken Block is skilled at what he does. He actually is a pretty cool person when you talk to him.

whether its a Evo or Subaru. you respect those driving skills if you aint got anything compared to that...

id love to see your videos imitating gymkhana. haha

1GGEvo
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Douche, it's douche. I will respectfully disagree. Those are mad skills, why not "show off". IF this is showing off, than isn't any professional sport just having that professional athlete show off? Or maybe if someone is really good at something, then we should never film it or use it for the entertainment of others. Damn those actors for showing off there acting skills on film. Damn Ken Block for capturing his driving skills on video camera to entertain car/racing enthusiasts and promoting his company at the same time. Give me a break.

tanado
07-26-2009, 12:20 PM

LOL yes Ken Block is a douche with an overbite.Â* Give me 20 sets of tires, money to rent out a lot, and a pit crew. His driving skills are phenomenal, but if givin the same amount of $$$ and resources everyone here on socal evo can do similar prob even better videos. I think Ken Block is confused and should be driving a lifted truck and live in Corona (as well as his stupid Bro friends).

Ken Block is my Michael Jackson. Dislike the person, but love the work.

codeblue258
07-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Why would you hate on a guy just because he can drive 100x better then you??? its not his fault he's so good. Lets see you get out there and even attempt what he does and see who the douche is...

Evolutionized
07-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Why would you hate on a guy just because he can drive 100x better then you??? its not his fault he's so good. Lets see you get out there and even attempt what he does and see who the douche is...

i would love too! can u let me borrow ur car and a few sets of tires?

the whole ken block thing is Subarus last chance to prove there car can do something positive

codeblue258
07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
ha ha ha!! if I only had the money. Who cares about the car?!?! Just admire the skill that it takes to do what he does. But yea if I was the owner of a shoe company I would give you my car and tires to work with...we could he some fun hahahaha!! hopefully in the future...

lznk41
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
you guys are all haters.Â* first off, his first gymkhana vid was never meant to be insanely popular like it is today; it was just a fun gig.Â* second, why dont you create a successful company and make your own gymkhana vids.Â* same sh1t again, people will just trash talk your efforts, out of pure jealousy.Â* sure there are better drivers out there, but hes promoting his company and partners (ie subaru).Â* from a business standpoint, the gymkhana videos (esp. #2) are ingenious.Â*

and most important, gymkhana is getting more exposure, which is a good thing.Â* when i went to my first gymkhana in Japan as a spectator, i was jealous as hell.Â* i wanted to drive the course, but i couldnt for obvious reasons.Â* I just hope that organizers will catch on and realize that there may be a gymkhana market in the states.

+10000 to playgrounds for cars. :smitten: