PDA

View Full Version : question about quaife diff and reverse

trinydex
01-04-2008, 03:25 PM
does the quaife differential maintain AWD in reverse?

reason i ask is because i got stuck on an icy shoulder at june lakes last week and while trying to get out i was spinning 1 tire (the one that was drooped into the offbankment) in reverse, while all the wheels tried to move in forward gears.

is spinning it in reverse damaging? i smelled stuff but i think it might have been my tires and the ice.

also sometimes i feel like i spin the inside front tire on hard sharp cornering and it leaves a narrow stripe of tire that seems to indicate so. at what point does the quaife "get over powered"

Mike W
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
The way the pinions are cut in a helical gear diff there isnt any real limit in reverse. The same goes for the way the ramps are cut in a clutch type diff. Only a 2 Way clutch diff would have full limit in reverse. But then it would also have full limit in off throttle situations. That would be a little weird.

I have not heard of Quaife's getting over powered.

Mike W

trinydex
01-05-2008, 05:47 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=241435&highlight=quaife

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=217793&page=2&highlight=quaife

evolutionary is the guy that i heard of it happening with, he's an autocrosser though.

i was messing around in a parking lot in the rain to see what the tires were good for in the wet. i kept laying down one thin stripe of rubber which made me thinkg (i also felt) that the inside tire was spinning.

i can always feel the diff owrking, pulling the car around but i'm just trying to figure out what exactly is happening. i told robert that the next time i come down i'll try to replicate what's going on for you guys.

griceiv
01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
It is possible for a gear type diff to bias torque in both directions. the problem is when one wheel has no traction (ice or in the air) the diff losses its abilty to bias torque and acts like an open diff.