PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Shop in San Diego?

bboy_RES
01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
i'm gonna install my Swift Mach Sport MR Springs soon and i was wondering if anyone knows any good shops in San Diego (prefferably Chula Vista area) that can do an alignment job. i use my car as a daily driver and i dont track or anything so i dont really think it would be necessary for me to go to RRE or anywhere far. please let me know guys! thanks.

AlkyEVO
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I need to know as well as I still need to get an alignment from my spring install!

WOT
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
dont waste your time.....speaking from experience......i had to get a $hitty job repaired by mueller...

do it right, do it once, go see mueller.Â* http://www.muellerized.com/

as far as tracking your car......come on, you know you enjoy every clear stretch of twisty roads that present themselves to you....actually anyone that hustle's their car on the street, should have a very good alignment, as there are other peoples lives at stake on the road, to where on the track, you just need to worry about if you get it wrong / run out of talent is: which gravel trap you'll end up in or which corner gets flattened by a concrete wall.

in case you missed it earlier: http://www.muellerized.com/

LaminarFlow
02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I installed my lowering springs and had evans tires up here in oside do the alignment. they refused to do anything beyond the stock settings, which is fine for better long term tire wear. I've tracked my car 5 times this past year and pretty much pass every other car in my run groups. So I don't believe you HAVE to go to mueller if you just want to make sure the springs don't take you out of the stock alignment.

BUT.. my appointment with Mueller is next friday for the JIC's.. so after two years of enjoying my springs, I'm about to learn what I've been missing....

pog0
02-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Hit up Luis at Rush Motorsports. He does laser alignments and is in Santee. Take the 125 all the way over there. Tell him Kevin with the Grey Evo sent you.

JoeyM3
02-02-2008, 12:03 AM
like kevin said ive heard rush is really good, i might take mine to clarence brown when i lower my evo O0

CharlieGsanD
02-02-2008, 10:18 AM
like kevin said ive heard rush is really good, i might take mine to clarence brown when i lower my evo O0

the problem W/ using Clarence Brown or Trueline is that they only adjust toe on each axle individually & do not set up any reference for the chassis centerline.

while this method may be able to set the toe, in a AWD vehicle which drives both axles you really want the front & rear axles tracking on the same path.
(AkA - Thrust angle )

don't get me wrong, Clarence Brown & Trueline do good work, but their methods are outdated & leave room for improvement on a full time AWD vehicle like the evo

for reference, the method trueline/Clarence Brown uses takes about 20 mins average to setup & measure toe. even if a few adjustments are nedded you can typically measure make any adjustments & have the car out the door in under an hour.... just setting up a centerline around the car can take up to 20 mins & typically has to be reset each time the car is moved or an adjustment is made, it is not unusual for this method to take up to 2-3 hours to get the alignment right where you want it. for the average shop this method becomes pretty cost prohibitive unless you are on an hourly rate & most people want a flat cheap rate & don't understand the benefit or additional time involved in doing an alignment the "right" way

granted this all applies only to manual or "non-laser" alignments. if your shop has a Hunter or similar machine then it is a relativly easy & quick process. the only drawback is the laser alignment machine's price tag is usually similar to a good full size car. thus limiting the number of shops that can afford one.

bboy_RES
02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
^^^ what do you think about Rush?

CharlieGsanD
02-03-2008, 12:33 AM
^^^ what do you think about Rush?

no personal experience W them but i checked out their site & it looks like they have a nice laser alignment machine

speedracer2169
02-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Align Tek. They are in Escondido. They are Prosche, Audi, VW certified Bentley ceritifed and Ferrari Certified as well. They also have a realtime aligment machine to make everything perfect so that all the tires are to exact specs and they can make custome adjustments for you. A standard 4 wheel aligment with them is llike 89 bucks

760 738 4848

Ask for dale. Tell him Jesse from Discount Tire Co referred you there

jnathan68
02-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I live in San Diego and posted this same question over a year ago and ended up learning of and taking my car to a place called the Wheel Store in Oceanside. A little bit of a drive but worth it.

They have installed my coilovers, corner balanced the car, done my race alignments, etc. They are racers (SCCA auto-x and road racing) and seem to know their stuff. Also their prices are reasonable.

JoeyM3
02-04-2008, 01:48 PM

the problem W/ using Clarence Brown or Trueline is that they only adjust toe on each axle individually & do not set up any reference for the chassis centerline.

while this method may be able to set the toe, in a AWD vehicle which drives both axles you really want the front & rear axles tracking on the same path.
(AkA - Thrust angle )

don't get me wrong, Clarence Brown & Trueline do good work, but their methods are outdated & leave room for improvement on a full time AWD vehicle like the evo

for reference, the method trueline/Clarence Brown uses takes about 20 mins average to setup & measure toe. even if a few adjustments are nedded you can typically measure make any adjustments & have the car out the door in under an hour.... just setting up a centerline around the car can take up to 20 mins & typically has to be reset each time the car is moved or an adjustment is made, it is not unusual for this method to take up to 2-3 hours to get the alignment right where you want it. for the average shop this method becomes pretty cost prohibitive unless you are on an hourly rate & most people want a flat cheap rate & don't understand the benefit or additional time involved in doing an alignment the "right" way

granted this all applies only to manual or "non-laser" alignments. if your shop has a Hunter or similar machine then it is a relativly easy & quick process. the only drawback is the laser alignment machine's price tag is usually similar to a good full size car. thus limiting the number of shops that can afford one.

so who would you recommend in SD to do such an alignment?

guyver858
02-06-2008, 06:25 PM
anybody know if wheelstore is still open? been calling them for a week now and no one pics up...

CharlieGsanD
02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
so who would you recommend in SD to do such an alignment?

Cant say, i gave up looking, bought the tools & do it myself now :p

jnathan68
02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
anybody know if wheelstore is still open? been calling them for a week now and no one pics up...

I have been going there for over a year and they were great but haven't been able to get a hold of them either...maybe they closed.

boostdtalon
02-15-2008, 04:00 AM
I went to precision tune auto care for my alignment. they were not able to do corner balancing and setups like that but they did my alignment for what i needed at the time. if you want a setup different than stock i'd suggest rush motorsports.

pog0
02-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Like I told the OP... Rush Motorsports. The guy races constantly and knows his suspension. Can do corner balancing and all.