PDA

View Full Version : WOOT, Tephra hacked ROM FTW!!!

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I finally got around to hacking together the NLTS, Knock Flash, and Valet mod on my IX rom.
I love the valet mode, no revving over 2K FTMFW! now im never worried to let anyone drive me car...lol

I just ahve a few questions, tho...

I was looking at the parameters for the NLTS
In the RPM drop table it says: 1500

does that mean that the rev limit under the conditions is set for 1500rpm? or does it mean that it will only drop 1500 rpm?

I tried doing a few NLTS passes, and looked like a total retard (as opposed to....)

any input?

Thanks guys O0

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Lol I'm gunna do the same thing but without the knock cel, its too annoying for me! Lol. If I'm not mistaken the rpms drop by 1500 after every shift. Nice to see these kind of topics on sce.

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
^why without the knock CEL? wouldnt you want to know if you got a batch of bad gas? or if your car was about to blow up?

Im going to post a 'how to hack the ROM on Vista' over the weekend (hopefully)

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Its a good idea but after you have it and try it, it gets annoying after a while. Maybe its just me, but it just is. I'm not worried about my car blowing up at all, I have a very safe and proven tune, no knock whatsoever at 23psi tapering to 20 with ecuboost control.

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
^yea, im running Naji's timing map from 6K and up... its friggin knock proof.

...if I add 1 degree of timing it starts knocking like crazy... its wierd. I guess the Evo doesnt like 15° of timing at redline ...lol.

I put her back down to 12°

Dos531
02-08-2008, 03:21 PM
The rpm drop is just that, how much the rpm will drop when pressing the clutch in at high load/rpm. Realistically theres very little chance its going to drop 1500 rpm unless you shift extremely slow. When I used his nlts map it usually would drop about 500rpm, but i still left it set at 800rpm just to be safe. You have to be real careful with the clutch because it uses the top clutch switch which is very sensitive. If you even rest your foot on the clutch it will activate the nlts, so the best way to do it is keep your foot on the dead pedal, then when you want to shift just jam the clutch down real hard. That is the way I had the best results.

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
^yea, thats what i got...

i asked on EvoM and Touring Bubble answered almost right away.

you use the NLTS much? I just turned it on to see if it worked... the car felt like it was dying when it was shifting...lol.

lost0138
02-08-2008, 03:29 PM
its supposed to drop 1500 between shifts... i had it in my car but i personally didn't like it... either way its only dropping from the time u hit the clutch to when you release it. do it dosen't madder that much anyway as long as it does what i needs to do which is retard while shifting at 100%throttle.
thats just my opinion of it if im way off track feel free to correct me lol.

lost0138
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
^yea, thats what i got...

i asked on EvoM and Touring Bubble answered almost right away.

you use the NLTS much? I just turned it on to see if it worked... the car felt like it was dying when it was shifting...lol.

lol thats why i got rid of it...i dont like the feel... idk why my other post took so long to post almost 30 mins..... stupid office computers.

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
^hehe... i feel you on the slow office computers, the computer i have here is this:
1.33ghz 256mb ram

Terry S
02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
You dont need to lift to shift anyways. I didn't in my Spec-V and and dont in my Evo.

Terry S

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
^hey, i still have tha USB-serial cable if you want it... you going to the meet? ill bring it along.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Several people have had problems with this patch. I know najis car would almost die in the mornings. But I also know that fellow member smartbomb has now perfected that patch.

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
^i read about the problems with it interfereing with ECUboost... didnt try it in the morning yet... it does start funky... AFR's in teh 16 range at startup...

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Yes it was odd at first. But with the new patch it seems to be working now.

Terry S
02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Yea i'll still take it off your hands if I can ever get out the house.

No I wont be making it to the meet this weekend.

Oh and I want you to look at my EvoScan logs one of these days. I was just messing around and it appeared that I was hitting 30-40 counts of knock... But then again, I cant tell what things to log when I do... This was on the Knock Sum line item.

Terry S

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I had no problems with his patch. I don't like NLTS. Advantages is, you hold boost between shifts, therefore it cuts out spool time. BAD PART, you flood your engine with gas and it misfires the injectors to create combustion in the exhaust manifold and turbo, that way the turbo keeps spinning at high rpms. That is if it uses the same principles as Anti Lag. I took it off after I researched anti lag.

The throttle bypass/throttle solenoid system is combined with ignition retardation and slight fuel enrichment (mainly to provide cooling), typically ignition occur at 35-45° ATDC. This late ignition causes very little expansion of the gas in the cylinder; hence the pressure and temperature will still be very high when the exhaust valve opens. At the same time, the amount of torque delivered to the crankshaft will be very small (just enough to keep the engine running). The higher exhaust pressure and temperature combined with the increased mass flow is enough to keep the turbocharger spinning at high speed thus reducing lag. When the throttle is opened up again the ignition and fuel injection goes back to normal operation. Since many engine components are exposed to very high temperatures during ALS operation and also high pressure pulses, this kind of system is very hard on the engine and turbocharger. For the latter not only the high temperatures are a problem but also the uncontrolled turbo speeds which can quickly destroy the turbocharger.

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes it was odd at first. But with the new patch it seems to be working now.

you talking about the V4 patch? I didnt think they made any newer patches for the USDM ROm's... Please link me up, or pm me who to talk to about all that :D

Yea i'll still take it off your hands if I can ever get out the house.

No I wont be making it to the meet this weekend.

Oh and I want you to look at my EvoScan logs one of these days. I was just messing around and it appeared that I was hitting 30-40 counts of knock... But then again, I cant tell what things to log when I do... This was on the Knock Sum line item.

Terry S

for sure, ill help you out. Ronny wants me to help him look at his tune as well and see if we can fix his stuttering proble...

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I had no problems with his patch. I don't like NLTS. Advantages is, you hold boost between shifts, therefore it cuts out spool time. BAD PART, you flood your engine with gas and it misfires the injectors to create combustion in the exhaust manifold and turbo, that way the turbo keeps spinning at high rpms. That is if it uses the same principles as Anti Lag. I took it off after I researched anti lag.

The throttle bypass/throttle solenoid system is combined with ignition retardation and slight fuel enrichment (mainly to provide cooling), typically ignition occur at 35-45° ATDC. This late ignition causes very little expansion of the gas in the cylinder; hence the pressure and temperature will still be very high when the exhaust valve opens. At the same time, the amount of torque delivered to the crankshaft will be very small (just enough to keep the engine running). The higher exhaust pressure and temperature combined with the increased mass flow is enough to keep the turbocharger spinning at high speed thus reducing lag. When the throttle is opened up again the ignition and fuel injection goes back to normal operation. Since many engine components are exposed to very high temperatures during ALS operation and also high pressure pulses, this kind of system is very hard on the engine and turbocharger. For the latter not only the high temperatures are a problem but also the uncontrolled turbo speeds which can quickly destroy the turbocharger.

yea, i was worried a bit about that... but thats just something ill have to look at when i log. see what loads there are and adjust the fuel and timing accordingly... I just ran 1 WOT and ill see how it goes after a bit more tuning, before i completely abandon it. thanks for the insight.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 04:23 PM
That would be interesting to see a log with NLTS, just to see affects on timing and AFR. I am going out logging tonight with my new JDM sensor, to see how it compared to my ZT-2, so I might try and do a wOt pull with NLTS.

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 04:25 PM
^sweeeet... post em up here, ill post a couple when i get a chance to do anything...

lost0138
02-08-2008, 04:57 PM
the only wierd thing my car does with the patch is in the morning or cold night when the car has not been driving for over 6 hours if you accidently blip the throttle while its cold it starts to idle like a v8 on roids lol ...goes away after like 4 seconds but other than that runs great. also i dont think it does the same thing as anti-lag. would be nice to put a 2-step in tho can you say blown lsd? lol....

SoCalRedLine
02-08-2008, 05:02 PM
^ive been having that same problem, its not the patch.

i had that before the patch. its something to do with the fuel trims. I noticed that same thing started as soon as the temps dropped around here...

i noticed during that v8 on roids thing the afr is 16:1. then it takes about 4 seconds to get to 15.1:1, then drops back to 14.7

its wierd. I almost think it could also be injector latency, as my battery is dying. there have been a few cold mornings where the voltage will hover around 11.7v before i start the car.

p.s. you like your crash beam? im making another one tomorrow :D

lost0138
02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
i painted it silvery lol i haven't had time to put it in yet ...but it does look nice sitting in the room LOL.
hopefully ill get it in next week no tools at the house :(. well car ones at least "alot of random tools for working on air planes"

good to know im not the only one with the idle problem i dont have anyway to log my afr's so i would of never caught the problem lol.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 06:29 PM
This is looking like an evom thread now! That's good! Nice to see all the self tuners out there.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Ok. I just did some logs and here we go. The NLTS goes against the principal of Anti Lag. i have no idea how it works

During my shift Timing goes to about mid 20's and AFR goes to 21. So this is just like any other shift but I hold 8psi instead of dropping to vacum. I am stumped.

Dos531
02-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Ok. I just did some logs and here we go. The NLTS goes against the principal of Anti Lag. i have no idea how it works

During my shift Timing goes to about mid 20's and AFR goes to 21. So this is just like any other shift but I hold 8psi instead of dropping to vacum. I am stumped.

It works because the throttle plate never closes, therefore the turbo never has to stop spinning during a shift. Anti-lag works by causing explosions in the manifold before the turbo to keep it spinning.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 07:40 PM
This is not anti lag. Antil Lag changes your timing to cause the late spark, ATDC. And with this timing goes to mid 20's before TDC.

It must just be a simple rev limiter change and no other magic.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 08:16 PM
The nlts only keeps your rpms at a higher number in between shifts, therefore enabling the car to stay in the powerband while shifting. It has nothing to do with anti lag

atlvalet
02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Fuel trims? Tephra patch? Pretty soon people will be talking about crazy things like altering .xml files and changing definitions in their MUT table :D

BTW, this can't be SCE, can it?

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Fuel trims? Tephra patch? Pretty soon people will be talking about crazy things like altering .xml files and changing definitions in their MUT table :D

You must be looking at Evom.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Sce is finally catching up! Lol. Good job guys.

Skiracer
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I had this patch done a few months ago...Only thing different is i set my valet mode to 3500RPM, which is right before boost hits. I think 2K RPM might be a tad too low IMO.

lost0138
02-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Or crazy talk like switchable maps without a laptop I got working the other day. omgzorz!

SCE is evolving :) lol

atlvalet
02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Or crazy talk like switchable maps without a laptop I got working the other day. omgzorz!

Don't make me drive up to Hayward again, dammit ;)

Besides, I got a Magnus manifold in my garage which David Buschur says don't work. I need to put it on to demonstrate that he's the suxorz :)

JKav
02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Dang atlvalet, you're gonna give up a stealthy engine bay for Magnus bling?

atlvalet
02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Dang atlvalet, you're gonna give up a stealthy engine bay for Magnus bling?

I willz unbling zee Magnus, so zee cops will not see zee bling.

In other words, I am going to have Swain Tech coat it with their black heat-emitting coating. No more shiny blingness :)

SoCalRedLine
02-11-2008, 11:01 AM

well shoot. I logged mine on friday, and didnt get around to posting logs...

...my computer got jacked from the parking lot by my house. :(

But, my logs were completely different.

Load, Inj. Duty cycle, and 2-byte would drop to 0, during the NLTS. .
I think it might not work correctly on the 8xxxx015 ROM...

but, im not sure ill ever turn it back on the way it was about to tear out my rear diff... the NLTS engages WAAAY to early. My clutch doesnt disengage until about half way down... so it would fuel cut while i was in gear... not a good idea.

and, Bryan, you suck for having a map switch. Im assuming you found out how to tap the ICS wire on the newer Evo's. You are gonna have to tell us how (on EvoM). :D

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I also have the 15 rom so I don't know. Could be with mine I was not letting it get to the point of backfiring and holding RPM for a period of time. I have mine set to 1500RPM drop. I can usually shift it within 1000RPM.

SoCalRedLine
02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
^yea, i have the 3200lb ACT clutch, and havent messed with the travel on the pedal...

so, i think it would be much different if i had the engagement point further out... It was literally jerking my car when it hit fuel cut... and load, timing, inj... everything went to 0...

mbrickner
03-12-2008, 01:40 PM
How do you activate valet mode then? Is it based on a transponder number? Or a switch wired in under the dash?

SoCalRedLine
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
^its programmed into the patch. no wires/switches needed.

To enable the mode you:
Turn key to 'ON,' but do NOT start the car.
Hold throttle at 100% for 5-10 seconds (i think it actually takes 15 or so...)
then your "Service Engine Soon" light will begin blinking.

When the mode is on, the SES light will blink the entire time the car is in that mode.

To get out of that mode, you do the same method listed, and the light should turn off.

If anyone needs a pre-hacked ROM, and ROM file, lemme kno. BUT, you have to put in YOUR Immobilizer code before flashing it to your ECU.

I also have pre-hacked JDM Rom's and ROM files for people as well.

x[corwyn]
03-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I finally got around to hacking together the NLTS, Knock Flash, and Valet mod on my IX rom.
I love the valet mode, no revving over 2K FTMFW! now im never worried to let anyone drive me car...lol

does that mean that the rev limit under the conditions is set for 1500rpm? or does it mean that it will only drop 1500 rpm?

I tried doing a few NLTS passes, and looked like a total retard (as opposed to....)

any input?

Thanks guys O0

You think not being able to rev over 2k will still make valeting your car ok. You never read any of my valet posts.... I was a valet and a valet manager for a long, long while. I won't valet any vehicle I value.

SoCalRedLine
03-12-2008, 02:15 PM
^lol... i never valet my car anyways (my middle name is "cheapass"), but i think its funny as shit to put it in that mode and let friends drive it. :D

lost0138
03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
its nice to use when u have to park somewhere sketchy set it to 1000rpm lol

SoCalRedLine
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
^lol... if someone really wanted the car, they could take it pretty fast.

...all you have to do is rip out the ECU and replace it with a AEM 1313u ecu (or the 1314 for the 9's) :D

pop the IGN and use a screwdriver :D

x[corwyn]
03-12-2008, 02:54 PM
^lol... i never valet my car anyways (my middle name is "cheapass"), but i think its funny as shit to put it in that mode and let friends drive it. :D

Yea my FC Commander allows me to set the top RPM as well. I have been known to set that low in bad areas and then take the interface with me.

Most car theives aren't going to have the foresight to bring a ECU with them, and even if they did would not be able to tune it right to drive it off quickly if its modded.

SoCalRedLine
03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
^lol. Flatbed...

x[corwyn]
03-12-2008, 03:39 PM
^lol. Flatbed...

At that point I have insurance and gap insurance. I just hope it doesnt come back at that point cause I dont want to have to fix a car that was stripped down like that.

SoCalRedLine
03-12-2008, 03:51 PM
^thats why you need the "Pit Bull Alarm" (i got one)

anyone steals your car will get a fun surprise once they get inside :D

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I keep my valet at 2.5k. I just like it just incase, you never know.

If you want to steal by all means take it. I have 2 sirens on the inside, 1 backup battery on the outside, battery backup on my alarm with stater kill, and lojack early warning. Have fun who ever you are.

atlvalet
03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
]
You never read any of my valet posts.... I was a valet and a valet manager for a long, long while. I won't valet any vehicle I value.

I have been a valet AND a lot manager myself in a previous life. No funny stuff went on in my lot, and if it did you were FIRED immediately, if not sooner.

Then again, most people don't set the bar very high for themselves, so you can expect theft/auto abuse from valets.

x[corwyn]
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
]
You never read any of my valet posts.... I was a valet and a valet manager for a long, long while. I won't valet any vehicle I value.

I have been a valet AND a lot manager myself in a previous life. No funny stuff went on in my lot, and if it did you were FIRED immediately, if not sooner.

Then again, most people don't set the bar very high for themselves, so you can expect theft/auto abuse from valets.

Did you work for PPS? PPS is synonymous with funny business. I fired several guys just to have them show back up because Steve and Paul let them back on. Mind you this was for stealing money out of cars, crashing one car, the other was for sliding cars in the back lot, another was because they just decided to bail off with friends when we were in a rush. The stuff though that went on at newport marriot, irvine marriot, the various restaraunts and clubs was INSANE! Its hard to have discipline though when the owners are off doing coke with some of the valets.

atlvalet
03-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Nope. Atlanta Valet Parking, now known as AmeriPark. Was the lot manager for the Spaghetti Factory on Sunset before it shut down. Also worked in the OC for a bit. Plus, I worked in Atlanta back in the day :)

x[corwyn]
03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Nope. Atlanta Valet Parking, now known as AmeriPark. Was the lot manager for the Spaghetti Factory on Sunset before it shut down. Also worked in the OC for a bit. Plus, I worked in Atlanta back in the day :)

Yea it was interesting, sometimes fun, sometimes frustrating, but it is something I remember quite well. PPS is quite prevalent for valeting here in OC and parts of LA. I wont valet. I'll eat somewhere else if I have to valet and I have written to restaraunts that enforce valet that I liked telling them why I wont be eating there.

SoCalRedLine
03-12-2008, 11:18 PM
lol... from rom hacking, to valet discussion, to stealing cars, to valet behind the scenes... this thread = WIN! :D

...at least more interesting than any horribly spelled money threads *cough* :grin:

airforce1
03-12-2008, 11:41 PM
NLTS=?

CASH$ MONEY
03-12-2008, 11:49 PM

any input?

Thanks guys O0

talk about grammar baby girl.... :2funny:

mbrickner
03-13-2008, 12:41 AM
lol... from rom hacking, to valet discussion, to stealing cars, to valet behind the scenes... this thread = WIN! :D

...at least more interesting than any horribly spelled money threads *cough* :grin:

+1 :DÂ* FTW!

atlvalet
03-13-2008, 01:06 AM
talk about grammar baby girl.... :2funny:

Just when we all thought this thread was safe...

Back on topic...so Ronnie, have you completed the Tephra patch? Also, what definitions have you changed in your MUT table recently?

CASH$ MONEY
03-13-2008, 01:12 AM
im so sick all i gotta do is barf...Â* :2funny:

SoCalRedLine
03-13-2008, 01:28 AM
heh, whats Bryan doing on here so late? I just got back from some datalogging...

...guess going uphill for 5miles and then spiking boost can make the car knock pretty good... '~'

didnt blow anything up... yet :D

Such a huge difference in the timing im able to run with 93 octane versus 91. Its really different from 6k and above.
one thing i gotta post:

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Your Load looks weird. I have never seen it go up as the rpms go higher.

SoCalRedLine
03-13-2008, 09:33 AM
^yea, thats because its 5th gear 2.5K to 3.5K... kinda wierd, i just wanted to show how quickly things can spool with the VVT map im running.

Evo 9's FTW!!!

LBEVOGSR
03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
NLTS=?

No Lift To Shift.Â* With this ROM, you would be able to shift gears without having to lift your foot off the gas.

SoCalRedLine
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM
^yea, but not with my RRE 3200 man clutch. it doesnt disengage soon enough to allow the NLTS to work...well, work without ripping out my rear diff on the shift.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-13-2008, 10:47 PM
^yea, thats because its 5th gear 2.5K to 3.5K... kinda wierd, i just wanted to show how quickly things can spool with the VVT map im running.

Evo 9's FTW!!!

That VTT map is great. I just did a flash, awhile ago, of that without tuning and DLL showed a gain of 10whp on DLL.

SoCalRedLine
03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
^yea, i made some slight changes to it. I noticed that the power/airflow was dropping in the 6.5-7K range, so i ramped it down across the 3 cells to 0, instead of dropping sharply from 30 to 0.
I also got rid of the idle sections, made my car act all funny. Even changing the Actual Desired Idle table didnt help it much...

now im just trying to get rid of my lift-off knock. As soon as the TPS hits less than 100% at 7+K... it will knock up to 7counts

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Isn't that normal because the injectors cut fuel so you run lean.

SoCalRedLine
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
^yea, thats pretty much it. you watch the load, it drops to 0, then AFR shoots up to 39:1 or something crazy lean (inj's are off, pulse = 0) then timing shoots back to idle/cruise timing around 34° *BAM* knock.

oldevodude
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
^its programmed into the patch. no wires/switches needed.

To enable the mode you:
Turn key to 'ON,' but do NOT start the car.
Hold throttle at 100% for 5-10 seconds (i think it actually takes 15 or so...)
then your "Service Engine Soon" light will begin blinking.

When the mode is on, the SES light will blink the entire time the car is in that mode.

To get out of that mode, you do the same method listed, and the light should turn off.

If anyone needs a pre-hacked ROM, and ROM file, lemme kno. BUT, you have to put in YOUR Immobilizer code before flashing it to your ECU.

I also have pre-hacked JDM Rom's and ROM files for people as well.

oldevodude
03-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Can you shoot me a copy of the ROM? I have the 15 as well. I would definitely appreciate it and it would/will save me a bunch of time.

PM me and I can provide email address.

thanks

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Can you shoot me a copy of the ROM? I have the 15 as well. I would definitely appreciate it and it would/will save me a bunch of time.

PM me and I can provide email address.

thanks

Honestly you should learn to do it yourself. It is not that hard. Just takes a little reading. Knowledge is power.

oldevodude
03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Honestly you should learn to do it yourself. It is not that hard. Just takes a little reading. Knowledge is power.

Being lazy and knowing how 2 do things are completely different things. Honestly :)

I'll be posting up my PSI ECU based boost control logs in the next day or two.

This was done using a boost pill and without the GM 3 port. This I did by my own self

I started with a mail in flash and that was terrible when logged and had 10 plus counts of knock.

This made me do MORE reading and now i do my own tuning with a wideband and logging along with knowledge gained from people on the boards and from results gained from testing and logging on my car.

I trashed the mail order flash and worked with Bryan at GST and Naji to get a baseline and a little help and then fine tuned it myself. Kudos and thanks go to Bryan and Naji for taking the time out 2 help back then.

PS I did do Tephra's V2 mod myself besides copying and pasting tables from my ROM to another it doesn't require much knowledge but is rather tedious