PDA

View Full Version : JDM MAP sensor vs Zeitronix

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 07:09 PM
These are both calibrated for my altitude of ~2500ft. I did not think they would be this close. I guess I don't need my JDM sensor.

This is a huge difference in the vacuum area but boost looks almost the same. It is like this on all my logs tonight.

1WkdEvo
02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd say that was pretty damn close

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 07:20 PM
That's very good. But to me it just seems more practical to use the jdm sensor since it just replaces the factory one without having to add anything else.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 07:24 PM
That's very good. But to me it just seems more practical to use the jdm sensor since it just replaces the factory one without having to add anything else.

When i bought my zt2, i bought the boost with it so I could monitor for daily driving. Then i bought the JDM sensor this week because everyone said you had to have it for ECU boost and they both look the same.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Just wondering who told you that you needed the sensor for ecuboost? Some people use it and some use even the GM sensor.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
EvoM. Well know I now my ZT2 is dead on with Mitsubishi calculated boost.

1WkdEvo
02-08-2008, 08:41 PM

True, but with the ZTX you have a low profile gauge for AF/EGT/Boost all in one to look at and monitor at all times

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-08-2008, 09:11 PM

True, but with the ZTX you have a low profile gauge for AF/EGT/Boost all in one to look at and monitor at all times

I will take that small screen over 3 gauges on the A pillar any day. If I get pulled over I can just hide the screen. you cannot do that with gauges.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Lol, sorry no gauges here. Also, the need of an egt reading is old school dsm days, where they used it to determine knock. Not needed on the Evo.

1WkdEvo
02-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Oh thats right, I forgot that ecu boost control solves all problems.Â* What was I thinking :roll:

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh thats right, I forgot that ecu boost control solves all problems.Â* What was I thinkingÂ* :roll:
. Dosent solve all problems, just the biggest one of them all! Lol. It gives you total control of your boost profile at any given rpm. Try that with an MBC lol.

1WkdEvo
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I think you got a little off topic and after reviewing my posts it seems I never said anything about the virtues of ecu boost control compared to an MBC...You did ;-)

We were talking about monitoring and why it might be helpful to have constant monitoring of multiple sets of data as opposed to only when you are logging.

But of course since you have a perfect tune with ecu boost control you know 100% that nothing could ever go wrong with your Evo, which in turn means that I am wrong and there is 0% need to ever monitor anything :twisted:

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 09:44 PM
No I agree with you. I too monitor my car, just not with a thousand gauges or ones that aren't really helpful.sorry for the off topic.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
O yea almost forgot, I logged my car only 4 times last year, all different months, and my tune was dead on everytime with the original flash. So yes, my car is safe. No knock, clean afrs, good timing. A very consistent Evo with a very good tune.

1WkdEvo
02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Agreed, gauges suck, which is why I love my low class, hide in the cubby if I get pulled over, all in one, white trash, dependable, 80's display ZTX

But then, I'm a little biased Â*:-P

I was jocking you about the tune man, but I was also trying to infer that just because your tune is safe, it does not preclude something else from causing a meltdown. It's not always the tune that causes trouble. There is no substitute for safety and even the slightest amount of notice before failure.

LBEVOGSR
02-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Agreed, gauges suck, which is why I love my low class, hide in the cubby if I get pulled over, all in one, white trash, dependable, 80's display ZTX

But then, I'm a little biased Â*:-P

I was jocking you about the tune man, but I was also trying to infer that just because your tune is safe, it does not preclude something else from causing a meltdown.Â* It's not always the tune that causes trouble.Â* There is no substitute for safety and even the slightest amount of notice before failure.
. Agree! Lol

MJCT9A
02-09-2008, 02:05 AM
I personally would go with the Zeitronix. It is compatible with many ECU based applications and AEM EMS.

Looney Tuning
02-11-2008, 05:05 PM

When i bought my zt2, i bought the boost with it so I could monitor for daily driving. Then i bought the JDM sensor this week because everyone said you had to have it for ECU boost and they both look the same.

There is a lot of confusion on this. Customers ask me if they need a JDMMAP sensor for ECU boost control all the time.

If you are using LOAD based ECU boost control, then you DO NOT need a JDM MAP sensor. If you are using direct psi based ECU boost control, then you will need a JDM MAP sensor.

The direct/psi based boost control does not work with the pill. So we have to use load based ECU boost control.

Looney Tuning
02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
EvoM. Well know I now my ZT2 is dead on with Mitsubishi calculated boost.

It is a good idea to have both and cross reference them all the time. I have the JDM MAP and the GM 3 Bar on my Evo and I log both to check for accuracy. This is my latest one.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/jdm_gm_map.gif

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
The direct/psi based boost control does not work with the pill. So we have to use load based ECU boost control.

But on the page on EvoM it says you can use a pill.

Off topic but on. Since i live at 2500 feet and always drive down to LA 100 feet, which option would be better, load or psi? I know with psi if I have it calibrated down in LA then I will be about 1 psi off in the desert and vis versa.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Off topic but on. Since i live at 2500 feet and always drive down to LA 100 feet, which option would be better, load or psi? I know with psi if I have it calibrated down in LA then I will be about 1 psi off in the desert and vis versa.

I have my personal Evo running psi-based boost with the JDM map sensor.

I have it set for 22.5psi peak currently. I live basically at sea level here in Alameda.

Last week when I was in Tahoe at 5,000+ feet it still hit 22.5psi peak.

22.5 boost at sea level is not the same as 22.5psi at 5k feet. If you look at absolute then you are boosting 2.5 psi less as that altitude. Since atmosphere pressure is 14.7 at sea level and 12.2 at 5000 feet.

Looney Tuning
02-11-2008, 08:02 PM

I have it set for 22.5psi peak currently. I live basically at sea level here in Alameda.

In the interest of clarity, Bryan is running a GM 3 port solenoid on his car and not the pill. The direct psi works with the 3 port GM solenoid.

Looney Tuning
02-11-2008, 08:05 PM

But on the page on EvoM it says you can use a pill.

Notice that others are saying that it is working and not mrfred. I worked with mrfred to get it to work on my car and we could not. Boost was inconsistent gear-to-gear. 3rd gear was fantastic, but when I tried it in 4th gear the boost got pulle like crazy.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM

In the interest of clarity, Bryan is running a GM 3 port solenoid on his car and not the pill. The direct psi works with the 3 port GM solenoid.

Ok that answers it.

What method handles altitude better, psi or load.

Looney Tuning
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Ok that answers it.

What method handles altitude better, psi or load.

I have not tested the pill at altitude, but since you are coming over the weekend, this will be our chance to test it. I will set-up your boost to be perfect at my altitude, then you can go do some logs at your altitude. You can send me the logs and we can compare the imapct of altitude at boost.

When you come over, I will show you step-by-step how to do Load based ECU boost control. Believe me it is not that hard. I have a feeling that you will be doing this on your own after I show you how it is done. You have the logging equipment and you have been doing your own flashing, so the next logical step is to do the whole tune on your own. I have confidence that you will be able to do it.

Amateur tuners FTW

Driving_Miss_Daisy
02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I have not tested the pill at altitude, but since you are coming over the weekend, this will be our chance to test it. I will set-up your boost to be perfect at my altitude, then you can go do some logs at your altitude. You can send me the logs and we can compare the imapct of altitude at boost.

When you come over, I will show you step-by-step how to do Load based ECU boost control. Believe me it is not that hard. I have a feeling that you will be doing this on your own after I show you how it is done. You have the logging equipment and you have been doing your own flashing, so the next logical step is to do the whole tune on your own. I have confidence that you will be able to do it.

Amateur tuners FTW

Oh yes I will be playing around with it after. I have done tons of reading on line. I just want to see it in action before I play around with it.

I guess I should change my EcuFlash from Psi control to Load control. Later on I will probably try changing it to psi control, to see if it is any better. I just have to buy the Ac Delco parts.