PDA

View Full Version : ROM Mods for ECU controlled Boost

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
O.k I have had a member of evom, help me out a bit w/ my rom mods to my ecuflash program. I just got my JDM mapr sensor, installed it w/ his help w/ the rom mods. Basically he gave me "HIS" 15 rom w/ "MAP SCALING" and "MAP FAULT TRIG HIGH" and "LOW"(also had all of the good stuff like NLTS, and tephra mods etc.) ...But unfortuneately he doesnt actually use ECU controlled BOOST... So there are many things left out of my rom file... MY questions are these:
1. Can I just add the full line up of ROM mods to the bottomper MRFRED, or am I going to have to add JUST THE ONES THAT ARE LEFT OUT? meaning can i have "2" of the same definitions in the xml file?
2. Does it matter the placement of the new definitions?
3. It says in the thread to do all the rom mods @ the same time as the JDM Map Sensor or the car wont start or throw a cell... Am I going to be able to just make the ROM mods???

Also, after I did the ROM mods, I tried to log... now it connects, then disconnects right away. and reads the index was out of the bounds of array??? WTF???

1WkdEvo
03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Have you asked Naji since he tuned you and seems knows this back and forth?

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
If he doesn't use ECu controlled boost just follow mrfreds thread and you should be fine. I put all my definitions at the end of my file before the /rom and keep them in order. So if I need to delete something it is easier.

Since you are going to ECU controlled boost you will want to turn down your WGDC from 100 to 50 for your first log.

You can due the JDM Sensor seperately. I did. But once you start converting to ECu boost you have to make all those changes together and spend some time tunning it.

Do you want Load controlled or PSI controlled.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I think you should go back to your orginal rom and ecuflash file and build it yourself. that way you learn how to modify things and learn about the programs. THat is what I did and it is much better then just copying someone elses work.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I have contacted him... still trying to work it out whether I need to make an appt or not. he told me to call him, but Im @ work w/out my laptop. And yes I did try myself first, and somehow managed to fuk it all up(i edited it from the wrong place maybe)... had to re install the program, and had some1 send me his 15 to get it up and running. U need to go thru where its located in the comp. right, not just off the desktop? I think thats where I went wrong, but??? Im new to computers, let alone tuning software. Im reading bits and peices every day, but dont get much time to read...anyways
I was gonna edit this myself from here, but not sure if I need to do it all over again w/ the sensor swap. on another note... The values in ecuflash were changed. oh and when i open up evoscan and looked at the JDM MAP and the formula is whatever it is, dont remember off hand but ends w/ the elevation @ 14.5, I edited it to 14.3 as Im in the 750 feet above sea level range, but when I open it up w/ notepad, it still shows 14.5??? Could this be why Im not able to connect?

SoCalRedLine
03-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I think you should go back to your orginal rom and ecuflash file and build it yourself. that way you learn how to modify things and learn about the programs. THat is what I did and it is much better then just copying someone elses work.

+1... llearn how to edit the Rom.hex yourself it makes things a bit easier to understand.

basically mr/ fred just re-wrote a few tables so that they make more sense. make sure you put them in there and save it to you desktop (or somewhere). the program files folder in Window's is write protected, so that you cannot change the hex in there. you have to save it somewhere else, then copy it over to the location overwritting the existing one. then your changes will be saved.

I havent actually tried this (yet) but i can provide a sh!teload of links to EvoM threads about boost control if you need them.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 01:41 PM
hoping Naji will chime in !

SoCalRedLine
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
if you want to send me your .hex i can edit it for you.
[email protected]
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=288408
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=293981
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=259595
the thread you prolly need:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=276674.

Tuning

DONT DRIVE UNTIL YOU HAVE ATLEAST LOWERED THE WGDC TO 50

For the tuning your gonna have to read a lot.

Here are threads to use.

The original how to I made. there was a lot of discussion on how the stock system works.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=227006

Here are some others.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,17318.0.html

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,17419.msg254039.html#msg254039

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=259494&page=6

There is others, but you'll have to find them :cool:

Also, here is a great description on how the error correction work.

Thanks mrfred

BDEL= boost desired engine load

When taking the car out for the first test drive, roll on to boost SLOWLY and constantly monitor boost. If it starts to boost more then a safe amount for your octane and tune, LET OFF THE GAS. It will take a couple pulls to get boost where you want it.

Have fun.

SoCalRedLine
03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
here is what you need to do to your ROM, and how to set it up in ECUflash. Its pretty easy if you go step by step. Dont really try to think too much about it, just do it. All the tables your copying over here can be added to the end of your hex. then save it to some other location, and copy it over.

Add the following lines to your ROM XML file:

----- (don't add the "-----")

SHLL for EBC" category="Turbo" address="41B84" type="1D" level="1" scaling="Hex16"/>

Below are some scalings that need to be added to your ECUFlash "evo9base.xml" file. For versions of ECUFlash up to v1.30, copy the items exactly as shown. If you are using ECUFlash 1.31+, change "little" to "big" after you copy the scalings into the file.

----- (don't add the "-----")

-----

Instructions for ECUFlash

Variable for boost control: Stock will read 6B48. Change it to 6AEC. The table is in hex format, so you will have to enter it as 0x6AEC.

SHLR->SHLL for EBC: Stock will read 4A01. Change it to 4A00 (enter it as 0x....)

The "Boost Error RAM Address" and "Boost Error RAM Address in Boost Error Table" will both read: 69CA. Change both to 6EE2 (enter it as 0x....)

WGDC Correction Interval: Use table #1. Table #2 is for when the vehicle speed exceeds the boost limiting speed. Set the value anywhere from 1 to 10. Each unit is approx 0.08 to 0.1 sec. I recommend using a value somewhere between 1 and 5.

Boost Error Correction: This is equivalent to the TBEC table. Use the values I list below as a starting point. The upper right value should be set to zero, otherwise, significant boost overshoot may occur.

Boost Adder: This is equivalent to the BCLO table. The units are psi. As a first step. I recommend setting it to your local atmospheric pressure. This will simplify tuning.

Baseline Boost tables: These are equivalent to the BDEL tables. Max possible value is 24.6 psi.

Change MUT8A will read 6ACD. Change it to 6EE3 (enter it as 0x....)

Change MUT8B will read 6B41. Change it to 6EE9 (enter it as 0x....)

Save the ROM file and upload it to your ECU. Then go to the instructions in the third post for setting up EvoScan and tuning the system.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 02:09 PM
pm sent socalredline

SoCalRedLine
03-21-2008, 02:16 PM
^cool. Ill be looking for your email when you get time.

I wish this site wasnt so ghey, and it would recognize that when you wrap "code" tags around something that it shouldnt read it as code and delete it... there has been a number of times i used the "greater than" symbol and sh-t behind it gets deleted...

im gonna make a thread in the feedback section regarding this.

but read through the threads i posted up, there is a LOT of good info in them.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-21-2008, 02:42 PM
where are you located. I might be able to help you out this weekend depending on location.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 02:44 PM
the valley... North Hills/northridge

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I might be able to stop by tomorrow night. I will be in San Bernadino with some friends. PM your number and I will give you a call and let you know.

Are you switching to PSi controlled boost? Do you have a GM solinod? I don't think you can use the pill with that setup.

SoCalRedLine
03-21-2008, 03:49 PM
^it sounds to me, like he is trying to switch to PSI controlled boost. you ahv any experience with that? I have the .hex files at home, but havent tried it yet, as im too pansy to hack apart something that is working just fine. ill be GM3port in a week here. Just gotta find time to rip apart my stock BCS system.

p.s. Naji did mention, that PSI based boost control interferes with the Tephra NLTS mod, you might have to use a stock map if that is true.

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-21-2008, 03:59 PM
^it sounds to me, like he is trying to switch to PSI controlled boost. you ahv any experience with that? I have the .hex files at home, but havent tried it yet, as im too pansy to hack apart something that is working just fine. ill be GM3port in a week here. Just gotta find time to rip apart my stock BCS system.

p.s. Naji did mention, that PSI based boost control interferes with the Tephra NLTS mod, you might have to use a stock map if that is true.

No experience. But I would guess it is just like load based boost but values are in PSI instead of Load. I am not going to help him tune it just make the changes. that is something that is going to require a lot more time.

About the PSi affecting Tephra, I don't know. I need to read up on it again. I want to switch to PSI instead of Load. Just to lazy to buy and install the GM3port.

SoCalRedLine
03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
^yea, i dont mind load, to me it seems like it would be a little better for people that change altitude a lot... make sure you arent stressing out the stock turbo when you decide to go to CO for vacation...

i dunno. Load is based off Injector latency * injector size * MAF Hz. PSI is only based off manifold pressure...IMO, the MAF should be able to make up for any atmospheric changes.

...only time id switch to PSI based controll, was if i could run speed density on the stock ECU. I know there is a way, but i dont like messing with MAF-t's

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I might be able to stop by tomorrow night. I will be in San Bernadino with some friends. PM your number and I will give you a call and let you know.

Are you switching to PSi controlled boost? Do you have a GM solinod? I don't think you can use the pill with that setup.

I have a #65 Pill, stock boost hose (naji set up).Â* trying to switch to psi.Â* I have no intention of "Tuning" @ the moment!Â* just want my programs to be set up right so I can use them when I learn much much more!Â* I shouldnt need a tune, considering I just got Looney Tuned in like Jan.!

First let me say thank you for those trying to help me!!! ...Â* I know Im close to where I wanna be, but am sorta stuck, @ this point.Â* I wanna be able to log boost in psi just like Naji.
No I have no experience in any of it!Â* lolÂ* not really funny, but I am trying...

SoCalRedLine
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
^just download the newest version of Evoscan the JDM map is already programed in there for you. You just need to edit your ROM file to make it work right.

p.s. delete your #, otherwise you might get random prank calls... Internet privacy 101 :D

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-21-2008, 05:42 PM

I have a #65 Pill, stock boost hose (naji set up). trying to switch to psi. I have no intention of "Tuning" @ the moment! just want my programs to be set up right so I can use them when I learn much much more! I shouldnt need a tune, considering I just got Looney Tuned in like Jan.!
My # is I HAVE IT NOW!!
First let me say thank you for those trying to help me!!! ... I know Im close to where I wanna be, but am sorta stuck, @ this point. I wanna be able to log boost in psi just like Naji.
No I have no experience in any of it! lol not really funny, but I am trying...

With PSI boost you have to switch a 3 port. You cannot use it with the stock solinod. When you do switch over it will require a full tune again. Since you have a load tune you chould have fun with that and play around with those setting to see what changes. Don't go crazy just small things.

If you want to log boost with Evoscan it is simple. It is already programed into evoscan if you have the newest version. You just have to change the formula for your altitude.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 09:00 PM
oic. I think I might be ahead of myself not exactly knowing what im talking about when it comes to switching to psi! (i think its obvious lol) I am trying to be able to adjust the "baseline boost" tables instead of "bdel", etc. I was having issues w/ evoscan since all this, but I will uninstall and reinstall and see if that works.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I can NOT connect to Evoscan??? I keep getting this:

Info: Initialize Vehicle ECU...
Info: Initializing At 5 baud...
Info: Initialization Complete...
Info: Waiting for INIT Response...
Info: ECU ID: E4C7
Info: Connection successful...
Error: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Info: Datalogger Ended.

I tried to change the formula for the JDM MAP to match my altitude 14.3, but when I open data .xml file w/ notepad it still reads 14.5? So I tried to edit while I was in notepad... And it wouldnt let me??? I went through comp>program files>evoscan>evoscan 2.1>data settings>data .xml and it said to make sure the paths are right(dont remember what exactly it said lol)??? i opened up my evoscan checked properties and its in this place???
I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling evoscan 2.1 and the problem remains??? Are there rom mods to ecuflash xml files that need to be added before evoscan will work? Im assuming the definitions that arent in the 15 rom file / "base 9" file are causing the problem w/ evoscan??? but I also know what they say bout assuming...lol :uglystupid2:

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-22-2008, 08:13 AM
To adjust formula's in EvoScan just highlight the item, right click and edit. Then change it and save. You only have to open the data file to add things in there not change formula's.

As far as the error no clue. Hopefully I can get out your way today. I can try hook up with my EvoScan and see if i get the same error. You can check your baud rate. It is suppose to be 15625.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-22-2008, 12:57 PM
baud rate is 15625... so IDK??? that would be coo! O0

Driving_Miss_Daisy
03-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Sorry I didn't call you last night. Got stuck installing and a friends injectors and adjusting his voltages. We didn't get done to around 10pm.

Looney Tuning
03-23-2008, 09:01 PM
I am here. I tried to call you on your cell number about 1.5 hours ago, but I get the wrong people answering. As a general rule of thumb, do not get maps from random people on the net and flash them in your ECU. That is a bad move.

Call me NOW. I am home. I was tuning a car in CA City all Sat. It was a blast doing 4th gear logs at 125 mph!!! Nothing beats tuning in 4th gear. NOTHING.

Looney Tuning
03-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Works fine on my car with target PSI boost and Tephra mods.

It was just one car and the owner did not implement the Tephra mods properly. The Tephra mods worked with other cars that I tuned. It worked with DMD's and v-over-t's cars.

4G63 FEVER
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I am here. I tried to call you on your cell number about 1.5 hours ago, but I get the wrong people answering. As a general rule of thumb, do not get maps from random people on the net and flash them in your ECU. That is a bad move.

Call me NOW. I am home. I was tuning a car in CA City all Sat. It was a blast doing 4th gear logs at 125 mph!!! Nothing beats tuning in 4th gear. NOTHING.

HAHA good times and results thanks again!!!!

oldevodude
03-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Here is a log of PSI based ECU boost control on my car. I do not use the GM 3 port solenoid many think you need to have. I just implemented it a couple of days ago and need to fine tune a little. It should also be noted that I could and will be turning up the boost after I install larger injectors and finish testing the PSI boost control. :D

oldevodude
03-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Test Track location makes a difference

Looney Tuning
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Test Track location makes a difference

Are these logs in 3rd gear? Did you try any 4th gear logs?

oldevodude
03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Logs are in 3rd gear. 4th gear logging WILL get me in trouble where i do my logging