PDA

View Full Version : Evo X modding?

flashfoto
03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Mods, please move to appropriate forum. I tried searching and it was spotty as hell so I just thought I would pose the question here guys.

So as you all know my IX is pretty much toast from it's recent introduction to a Chevy truck's daydreaming driver. I am thinking of taking my new found earnings from his lovely insurance company and getting a new X GSR. However, I have some concerns. Just how much can a X be modded with aftermarket parts at this point?

What I am looking to do is eventually get it to stage 1 with a proper tune. With coilovers being the very first step to 1. eliminate that eyesore of a wheelwell gap and 2. improve the handeling/ride characteristics. (You can go ahead and put those in whatever order you want).

So is it mostly custom work at this point? Can it be re-flashed/tuned? Who's making aftermarket parts such as IC piping, TBE, etc? I really LOVED my IX (especially with all the love it had put into it) but I am really not wanting to get someone else's used Evo. It's not that I don't trust someone that practically boosted the doors off the damn thing but it will always be someone else's creation and I am looking for a fresh start of my own. Besides, I am used to embarrasing Porsches and such and I would still want that capability if I went with the X. ;)

j_nizzle
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
only tuning available currently to the public is through JUN. otherwise, you're stuck to basic bolt ons...wheels, coilovers, exhaust, intake, boost controllers...of the like.

antics22
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
okay, well coilovers are currently available for the X. Intakes and catback exhausts are also available for the X. IC pipings are available as well.... basic bolt ons that will make the X scream.

Some that come to mind that are making aftermarket parts (in no particular order) are:

AMS
Buschur
Turbotrix
Nisei
AGP
Robispec

And thats not including the boutique fabricators like RRE, etc... for one-offs, etc...

flashfoto
03-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Cool... so I can definitely get parts... but a TUNE!!?

j_nizzle
03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Cool... so I can definitely get parts... but a TUNE!!?

all the stateside tuning is in the works. aem already has a test vehicle i believe for their ems.

LBEVOGSR
03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
No EcuFlash for the X YET. I know that ECUTEK is working on something as well. Your better off going on Evom and searching their X forums.....

antics22
03-26-2008, 03:23 PM
currently my X has a catback, cone filter, boost controller, UICP, and its running strong!Â* Â* 1:29 at SOW cw strong...

Thats pretty good in my opinion considering im not a very fast driver....Â* NO tune either.Â* Â*Its definitely promising.

directorse7en
03-26-2008, 04:33 PM
You can safely mod the X GSR as much as you want with all the bolt-ons available. The only thing you cannot do is a Tune as it is not available.

Coilovers are available.

ileaveit2bevo
03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
If you want to mod it your going to be the guinea pig like we were in 03

toku-one
03-26-2008, 05:29 PM
youre such a hater bevo

CASH$ MONEY
03-26-2008, 05:35 PM
when the ix's came out... we were in the same place you were in. until they started coming out with Mivec. im pretty sure you just have to give it time, and eventually more mods and tuning will be available for it. As long as companies can make money out of it. expect everything for the evo X.

we Live in America where dollar does everything. even giving you a new life O0

good luck

seph09
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
a bit off topic... flashfoto, why not get an SSS...

i'll also about to buy an X but right now i can't decide whether to get the GSR or SSS...

can you guys help me decide. I'm not a rich guy, and I'm on a exact budget. but saving another 2k for a SSS will be easy if i really want it. so I'm trying to consider if its worth the money. also PB or WW???

ileaveit2bevo
03-26-2008, 07:19 PM
youre such a hater bevo

Haha you had a 03 you know what I'm talking about. You don't really find out the best parts to make power for a few years

Spec R
03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
currently my X has a catback, cone filter, boost controller, UICP, and its running strong! 1:29 at SOW cw strong...

Thats pretty good in my opinion considering im not a very fast driver.... NO tune either. Its definitely promising.

1:29 at SOW?

i dont know what that means, all i go by are arbitrary carlengths with no reference point on the street and freeway

the internet says the X sucks in a straight line.

flashfoto - on a serious note, listen to ant. he is teh coolness.

spdracerut
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
currently my X has a catback, cone filter, boost controller, UICP, and its running strong! 1:29 at SOW cw strong...

Thats pretty good in my opinion considering im not a very fast driver.... NO tune either. Its definitely promising.

1:29 at SOW?

i dont know what that means, all i go by are arbitrary carlengths with no reference point on the street and freeway

the internet says the X sucks in a straight line.

flashfoto - on a serious note, listen to ant. he is teh coolness.

A stock Evo IX will run ~1:32 with a VERY good driver.

spdracerut
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Mods are coming out very quickly for the X. Pretty much every bolt-on is available already as are KW coilovers. It's going to take a little while longer for cams and tuning options to come out. The closest tuning options to being available are the Procede from Vishnu, Ecutek, Unichip (I think), and probably the Cobb Accessport.

Spec R
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
thanks spdracer, i was being sarcastic about the street racing comments

LBEVOGSR
03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
You can safely mod the X GSR as much as you want with all the bolt-ons available. The only thing you cannot do is a Tune as it is not available.

Coilovers are available.

Yes you can mod the X with all the bolt ons that are out there, but have you seen the dyno graphs of these cars after installing the mods? The car is already rich from the factory, but after modding it, its running even richer and thats not safe for the long run. People are just throwing parts on in without the ability to see how the car is reacting to them. Yea its making power, but at what cost?

directorse7en
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
True that.

Terenus
03-28-2008, 01:11 PM

Coilovers are available.

Yes you can mod the X with all the bolt ons that are out there, but have you seen the dyno graphs of these cars after installing the mods? The car is already rich from the factory, but after modding it, its running even richer and thats not safe for the long run. People are just throwing parts on in without the ability to see how the car is reacting to them. Yea its making power, but at what cost?

Are you sure it's running "even richer"? Antics22's car was one of the evos that had sputtering due to running rich, but now with an instake and catback he has no such problems anymore. He also has Zeitronix installed so I'll let him chime in on that.

Terenus
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
when the ix's came out... we were in the same place you were in. until they started coming out with Mivec. im pretty sure you just have to give it time, and eventually more mods and tuning will be available for it. As long as companies can make money out of it. expect everything for the evo X.

we Live in America where dollar does everything. even giving you a new life O0

good luck

Evo IX were well off compared to the Xs, we can use everything the 8 used minus the cams AND make more power due to bigger cold side.

Looney Tuning
03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
The thing that scares me about adding parts to the X w/o tuning is the shape of the dyno graph after adding an MBC. I have seen a lot of these dynos and almost all of them have a dip and then a spike at the top end after an MBC is installed. It could be that there is some serious knock happening at the top end causing the power loss and then that spike is the power gain after the knock has subsided.

I have no problem adding an Intake and an exhaust on the X, but I would stay away from an MBC before I can log the vitals on the car.

antics22
03-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I have my EBC set pretty conservatively at 22psi tapering to 19~ish at full wot.... My zeitronix vitals all check out the same... with my egts hitting 860 on the high side and my afrs at 11%... I think the catch to the MBC is not to go balls deep with it... use it to help the tapering problem, but not to increase the overall boost until a tuning solution arrives.

Mightygnu
03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I have my EBC set pretty conservatively at 22psi tapering to 19~ish at full wot.... My zeitronix vitals all check out the same... with my egts hitting 860 on the high side and my afrs at 11%... I think the catch to the MBC is not to go balls deep with it... use it to help the tapering problem, but not to increase the overall boost until a tuning solution arrives.

I think the same regarding the MBC.

directorse7en
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
That's tiz-ight dawg!

I'd be embarrased for that to be my Evo.

evogeo
04-03-2008, 08:34 PM
The thing that scares me about adding parts to the X w/o tuning is the shape of the dyno graph after adding an MBC. I have seen a lot of these dynos and almost all of them have a dip and then a spike at the top end after an MBC is installed. It could be that there is some serious knock happening at the top end causing the power loss and then that spike is the power gain after the knock has subsided.

I have no problem adding an Intake and an exhaust on the X, but I would stay away from an MBC before I can log the vitals on the car.

Looney Tuned X :roll:

Evo91765
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
take it to Road Race :)

NewEra23
04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
get another 9.there wayyyy better than a X.

Evo8urv8
04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
can you guys help me decide. I'm not a rich guy, and I'm on a exact budget. but saving another 2k for a SSS will be easy if i really want it. so I'm trying to consider if its worth the money. also PB or WW???

Decide what YOU like, not what they like. It's YOUR CAR anyways, not theirs. O0

directorse7en
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
^Amen.

seph09
04-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Decide what YOU like, not what they like. It's YOUR CAR anyways, not theirs. O0

as it turns out the stock availability made the choice for me...

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=58818.0

j_nizzle
04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey evo ten suck ass! I saw on this show that they were saying that they suck ass! That they were for old people like in there thirtys or late twentys!... That the handeling is not all that great because of the bigness of the car and its slower than the 9! No wonder they are cheaper than a 06 IX

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

please /thread now! he has all the answers!

DC_TypeR
04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey evo ten suck ass! I saw on this show that they were saying that they suck ass! That they were for old people like in there thirtys or late twentys!... That the handeling is not all that great because of the bigness of the car and its slower than the 9! No wonder they are cheaper than a 06 IX

ding ding ding!!! we have a winner!!!

-Chris

flashfoto
04-08-2008, 08:48 PM

I guess since I'm 35, it's just the car for me. ?

kimletrim
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
^+ 1

drmosh
04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Don't feed the trolls he has been put in timeout...

kimletrim your signature is too big... trim it...

slorice
04-10-2008, 10:56 AM

kimletrim your signature make my weiner too big... trim it...

Yeah it does that to mine also.

yodaman
04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I am waiting for the X MR and I am hoping Vishnu's option is available soon!

fusionchicken
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
ya the procede did magic to the X...101mph to 108mph trap speed without any other bolt-on's. this was tested by motortrend IIRC, not something shiv made up

kimletrim
04-10-2008, 12:10 PM

kimletrim your signature make my weiner too big... trim it...

Yeah it does that to mine also.

Lol....there letrimmed

erndevo
05-05-2008, 03:01 AM

I guess since I'm 35, it's just the car for me. ?

LOL...I'm w/u there Flashfoto...to answer ur question about tuning/modding...Edmunds.com did a video report on Vishnu's EvoX...if I remember it correctly...it should due out by july...if not it should be aug...it'll be bolt-on parts but primarily ECU flash...keep an eye on that though...

IMHO however...I'll wait till end of this year to start modding...at least by then you'll have a lot more choices...

aguilar45
05-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Mike, I'm glad u getting back into the swing of things man and sorry to hear about your IX. Might be passing through there at the Torrance meet for MOD 08. Also inmy opinion I would wait till the end of the year to start Modding....nice to have more options :twisted:

CASH$ MONEY
05-27-2008, 06:40 PM
wow. Evo X's already running low 11's stock turbo, on race gas....

hopefully the X's turn out good.

Blak94GSX
05-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Flashing is available now. Procede was a good option for a couple days when it first came out, not so much anymore...

silverride
06-01-2008, 12:31 AM
|Patience. Road Race will save the day!

Mike W
06-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Already saved:

http://roadraceengineering.com/dynapack/dynos/evox-chris/355HP-VS-STOCK.jpg

http://roadraceengineering.com/dynapack/dynos/evox-lyn/347-compare.jpg

http://roadraceengineering.com/dynapack/dynos/evox-gonzales/320HP.jpg

Mike W

DC_TypeR
06-01-2008, 08:53 AM
|Patience. Road Race will save the day!

LOL.. your a few months behind big guy...

Since they saved the day..
RRE has beat Obama and Clinton
Stopped the war in Iraq
Lowered gas prices to under $3.00 a gallon for 100 octane
and have become a pet adoption agency

:roll:Â* Now back to your regular scheduled program....

:smitten:

-Chris

Mightygnu
06-01-2008, 11:52 AM
hahaaahaha