PDA

View Full Version : when you come to a stop -> clutch in etc

NMZ
04-07-2008, 02:32 PM
lets say its a stop sign or light
do you guys clutch in and brake, then let the car roll a bit to a complete stop while still fully clutched in or do u brake all the way first and clutch in last minute?
ive been doing the clutch in then slowly braking to a stop. is this hard on the clutch etc?

ev0lution
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
i put it in neutral as much as possible. and when i brake im in neutral or not using the clutch at all.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Thero
04-07-2008, 02:36 PM
+1

i put it in neutral as much as possible. and when i brake im in neutral or not using the clutch at all.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

evo05
04-07-2008, 02:39 PM

+2

babieeddie
04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
i downshift to a stop 24/7

HB Evo Owner
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
sometimes i downshift and sometimes i just throw it in neutral and then brake.

but i wouldnt hold in the clutch sitting there at a light just because its unnecessary on ur clutch.

i try and save mine as much as possible especially it beign $1500 or so if i needed another new one.

GreaseFRT
04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Downshifting saves the brakes but wears the clutch and syncros. I take it out of gear unless I am going too fast or in the twisties. Brake pads are cheaper to replace IMHO........

choicelaw
04-07-2008, 03:17 PM
^+1, I usually slip into neutral to brake. But I do tend to stand on the clutch at red lights a bit too much. . .

white9
04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
hmm clutch = $1500.00 or brakes $200.00?? i think i would replace the brake pads ^^ save your clutch man

JCRUZ
04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Stepping on your clutch at a red light or in traffic weakens the springs on your clutch and causes slippage. This happened to my friend's car. After he stopped stepping on the clutch during red lights, the slippage magically went away.

choicelaw
04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
^yeah, I gotta stop doing it, problem is I got alot of steep hills w/ stop signs by my house. . . >:(

jdmcwestevo
04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
i rev match/heel toe downshift up to the lights then put it in neutral at the last second. i have a built trans though so my syncros are a lot stronger than stock so they can handle more abuse lol

melachu
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I leave it in gear until im going pretty slow then i just put the clutch in, put it in neutral, release the clutch and hit the light. I never keep the clutch in while at a light.

ebevo
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
if it's just to a stop sign or light then I do the following

1) take foot off accelerator pedal...let the engine slow your vehicle down works great on a manual tranny...whenever I drive a auto tranny that thing coasts forever
2) apply brakes when you don't want to smash the object in front of you, engine is still in the same gear when you performed step #1
3) I go by sense of feel and hearing to know if my idle is about to bog while braking, when it's time I do clutch in -> move to neutral -> clutch out
4) still applying brake pedal until complete stop

no need to ride your clutch and wear out your throw out bearing while braking to a stop. Ever sat passenger seat with a driver waiting at a traffic sign with the clutch depressed and hear/see the shift knob vibrate like it's their closet massager. :D

throwing into neutral to early you don't get the benefits of engine braking...the feeling is like driving an automatic with that coasting effect and having to use your brakes more to complete the stop. You end up replacing brakes sooner.

why downshift through the gears when you will be stuck at the sign eventually. You end up replacing the clutch sooner.

I think my method focuses on putting the least amount of strain in terms of wear on the engine, clutch, and brakes. Rather than trying to beat the vehicle next to you for traffic sign stop position.

Try out the different methods SCE members have posted and see which one you prefer. :mitsu:

evo05
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
i rev match/heel toe downshift up to the lights then put it in neutral at the last second. i have a built trans though so my syncros are a lot stronger than stock so they can handle more abuse lol

^^^^^^^lucky.......lol

airforce1
04-07-2008, 04:38 PM
how can you determine what is a bad throw out bearing vs a worn clutch? Newbie wants to know...

JCRUZ
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
^If you have the habit of pushing in your clutch during stops, stop doing it and put it in neutral instead and the slippage should go away.Â* If it doesn't then it's the clutch.Â* Here's a link that might help you out more with your question.

http://www.carcare.org/Manual_Transmission/throw-out_bearing.shtml

fastkevin
04-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Downshifting saves the brakes but wears the clutch and syncros. I take it out of gear unless I am going too fast or in the twisties. Brake pads are cheaper to replace IMHO........

Yup.. Every single car I know of, it's cheaper to replace brake pads than it is clutches and transmissions

ev0lution
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I leave it in gear until im going pretty slow then i just put the clutch in, put it in neutral, release the clutch and hit the light.

you hit the light? that sounds like it could be a potential problem. and dangerous too!!

wsmc27
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Yup.. Every single car I know of, it's cheaper to replace brake pads than it is clutches and transmissions

Yep.Â* ;)

Seems like I heard something about using the brakes to slow a vehicle (bike or car) and downshifting to be in the correct gear to accelerate out of the turn. Or, in this case away from a stop light?Â* :2funny:

flashfoto
04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
there's a clutch? hmmm I always wondered what that third pedal was...

lambdaevo04
05-08-2008, 09:36 AM
man i suggezt not using ur clutch as much cuz i ended up burning mine that way...

nicklulu
05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I usually step on the ctuch when changing gears or right before the car goes to a full stop.

or when im going heel to toe. (LOL)

but to answer the first post, I usually bump to neutral before full stop so id dont ride clutch.

riding clutch = no bueno

me like jello
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
depends on the situation. if lets say i'm coming to a light where there isn't all too many cars lined up and the light is going to turn green soon, then i downshift to the appropriate gear so that i can be ready to zoom off. if the light is red and theres a long ass line or the light just barely turned green and theres a long ass line, i usually pop it into neutral and slow down for the line and slip it back into first or second. although i want to pop it into neutral more often to save wear on the clutch, i try to always stay in gear so that if a situation arises, i can be ready for it.

to tell you the truth, i use a combination of all the methods basically already mentioned by everyone else depending on the situation. EXCEPT for riding the clutch to a stop or clutching in while waiting at a light. i usually just look at the light on the cross street and when it turns yellow, thats when i clutch in.

LaminarFlow
05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
at long lights:
coast approach
light brake as needed
turn off engine
apply hand brake (i'm lazy)
take a short nap or eye the chicky next door
get woken up by the honks
fire it up and tear it outta there!!

sergio8904
02-14-2009, 02:18 AM
It's better just to put it on neutral and hold the brake instead of the clutch

GilbertFlores
02-14-2009, 02:19 AM
wow....necro thread.

the last post was like a yr ago

boostinbyyou
02-14-2009, 11:41 AM
what are these *brakes* you guy are talking about.......

Don Nguyen
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Depends on how I feel, and if I know/think I am going to have to come to a complete stop, or see that I can probably stay in gear and not have to come to a complete stop, etc.

I would say I do it equally, 50/50, both ways.

-Don

Terenus
03-15-2009, 02:34 AM
No need to downshift to a stop and cause attention, I just neutral and brake.

nicklulu
03-15-2009, 03:35 AM
better yank that e-brake then. LOL! I haven't seen this thread for a year.