PDA

View Full Version : Tranny-Rear Diff-Transfer Case change

GilbertFlores
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I know this is probably a repost but ill post anyway. I just got done with my fluid change for the transmission, transfer case and rear differential. I followed the posts on Evomoto.....
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=2&tech_id=25&osCsid=8c27b578a5df16decb8ddaddf8959c78
and for the transmission....
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=2&tech_id=26&osCsid=8c27b578a5df16decb8ddaddf8959c78
and the rear diff i looked it up on evolutionm.net.....no pictures but still very helpful.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=54218

all was needed was
-drain pan
-24mm socket/open end wrench
-17mm socket
-some rags to clean up the mess
-a funnel
-some clear vinyl tubing < i picked it up about 10' at lowes for under $3
-and fluids
< for the transmission i used lucas 75w-90 synthetic gear oil, i think it was like 9.99 a quart. >
< for the transfer case i used the OEM Mitsubishi Diaqueen fluid i forgot the price but get it from the dealer >
< for the rear diff i used the same fluid as the transmission. >

the transmission takes almost 3 quarts and the others take just over half a quart.
the job was rather easy and only took me about 2 hours or so with my girlfriend helping me to hold the funnel and fluid.

its really easy to do it all. and i saved a good $ on the service....i think whittier Mitsubishi charges like $325 to do it all and i know southcoast does it for somewhere in the $200's so i spent about $70 for everything and a few hours and its was worth it if you want to get down and dirty. O0 O0

After it was all changed I took the car out and a huge difference in torque. :D :D i have never done the fluids and had my stock clutch changed at about 36K and I'm now at 49K and i think i was running all the factory fluids........ :-( :-(

Hope this post helps out all you guys that DIY and like to save that extra buck..... O0

true grit
04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi, I was thinking of doing this too. Do you think it is necessary at 16K?

GilbertFlores
04-20-2008, 09:51 PM
i read a lot....as far as it all goes. if you drive it really hard it says to do it at 15K, but the transfer case it says that its best to do your first change at 5K, i would do it if you want to do it yourself since you will save a hell of a lot of money. i was just working on my car and decided to do it myself since i just did the oil and plugs. plus it only take about 2 hours if you have everything ready and you feel a huge difference in power....well at least i did on mine. it runs like an evo now.

true grit
04-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your recommendation. Could you do both Tranny and Transfer case the same time?

GilbertFlores
04-20-2008, 10:02 PM
yeah. its best actually, since there located next to each other. you can actually use the same 75w-90 gear oil for both but its recommends the mitsubishi oem fluid so i just went with that. but i would do both since your there. you wont hurt it if you change it early anyway. better early then late.

true grit
04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
I hear you. Could you tell me: do you get some gear shift grinding sometimes? If so; do you think changing the oil would help?

j_nizzle
04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I hear you. Could you tell me: do you get some gear shift grinding sometimes? If so; do you think changing the oil would help?

if switching out the fluids fixes the problem, no problems...otherwise, you could have an issue with the synchro

GilbertFlores
04-20-2008, 11:00 PM
yeah i had grinding with 3rd and 4th and now its all gone. smooth as my balls lol