PDA

View Full Version : salvage title

04-22-2008, 03:53 PM
if a car is donated to charity is it given a salvage title? I was looking at a 93 camry on craigslist, I spoke with the owner and he said it was donated to a charity before he purchased it from an auction and since it was donated the DMV gives it a salvage title, tried gooling it but won't say anything for sure.

thanks

grafix43
04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
sounds like bullshit to me...

choicelaw
04-22-2008, 03:59 PM
My understanding is that donating the vehicle will not change the title to salvage. Best place to check is with the DMV. Notwithstanding I would be very carefully in proceeding to buy any salvaged title car. . .

1WkdEvo
04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
FRom a claims perspective this sounds like B.S. A vehicle is usually salvaged under three circumstances:

1. Stolen and not recovered prior to payout of the value depending on contract/Policy guidleines
2. Financial reasons - Vehicle repairs are in excess of 70% of the vehicle value
3. Moral Total - Someone is killed in the vehicle, but the damage does not consitute a financial total. The insured can argue that driving the vehicle after watching someone die in it is not morally acceptable

04-22-2008, 04:10 PM
yeah I think I'll call the DMV he sounded pretty honest said it was his sons car and that he got it from an auction the DMV is just weird with how it handles donated cars even insisting I check the law :-(

thanks

VinceR
04-22-2008, 04:12 PM
carfax is your friend... ask for a vin # if he declines then he is B.S.ing U!
or better yet ask him to get a carfax

1WkdEvo
04-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Why not just call DMV???

SHIRELL
04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
dmv does not brand a title "salvage" because it's donated. salvage titles are after a vehicle is revived from a "junk". i do dmv work all day so i can help you with any questions

j_nizzle
04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
dmv does not brand a title "salvage" because it's donated. salvage titles are after a vehicle is revived from a "junk". i do dmv work all day so i can help you with any questions

wanna get me up to date tags?!?!

SHIRELL
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM

sure if you pay for them.lol

j_nizzle
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM

sure if you pay for them.lol

i'll pay for them. i just dont want to register the car! LOL

SHIRELL
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
pm me your vin# i'll run a dmv printout

j_nizzle
04-23-2008, 11:44 AM

dammit...what if i dont have one!?!?

SHIRELL
04-23-2008, 11:46 AM

dammit...what if i dont have one!?!?

what do you mean you dont have one? look in the door jam, assuming its the original door or give me a plate #

XBS
07-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Yes this sounds like BS for sure, I have donated vehicles and nothing was mentioned about make them salvage titled.

SHIRELL
08-01-2008, 10:45 AM
like i said, salvage titles are NOT from donations. if the title says salvage it's because it already was salvaged. donating has nothing to do with it. if you want pm me and we'll talk more.