PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki SX4t: "t" is for turbo, courtesy of Road Race Motorsports

Skiracer
04-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Story on Mike W's neighbor

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/22/road-race-motorsports-releasing-turbo-kit-for-suzuki-sx4/

When Suzuki launched the SX4, we couldn't help thinking that the oddly shaped hatch had some aftermarket potential. Suzuki seemed to think the same thing and tapped Road Race Motorsports, the renowned SoCal tuning firm, to create a one-off concept for the Chicago Auto Show. Road Race decided that it could do better than just some wheels, brakes, a body kit and a few engine mods, so its created the SX4t, a turbocharged version of the all-wheel-drive hatch that could mark the beginning of Suzuki's ascendancy into the aftermarket.

Road Race fitted a Mitsubishi 16G GT3 turbocharger onto the 2.0-liter four-pot, which delivers seven pounds of boost and increases output to 221 hp and 208 lb.-ft. of torque, a substantial bump over the stock mill's 143 hp and 136 lb.-ft. of torque. According to Suzuki, that should drop 0-60 times to under seven seconds when equipped with the five-speed manual.

More impressive, however, is that Suzuki is giving Road Race its blessing and that could mean that the turbo upgrade, along with plenty of other go-fast bits, could be available from your local Suzuki dealership. The cost of the turbo kit, with all the necessary plumbing, will come in at relatively steep $5,400 when it goes on sale this June. Suzuki estimates that the installation would run between $1,100 and $1,200 at the dealership, but wouldn't say if fitting the kit would affect the seven-year/100,000 factory warranty on the powertrain. While dropping close to $10-grand on an SX4 for wheels, brakes and engine mods might be a tough pill to swallow, it will have to suffice for Suzuki enthusiasts hoping that the automaker would release a rally-inspired SX4.

j_nizzle
04-22-2008, 05:00 PM
i think it looks nice...could make for an interesting DD.

Unstroked
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
2855 lbs. with 221 hp That is not that bad.

Mike W
04-23-2008, 06:48 PM
I designed the set up, Ty made the prototype parts for the SEMA show car in 2006. Tallini got it into a production style kit and is selling them now. The most noteworthy thing is that Suzuki has people that not only care but can actually move forward with cool projects.

Mike W

Coolguy949
05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I drove it the other day. It's pretty fast! (I work at Suzuki).