PDA

View Full Version : tuning with aquamist HFS-1

2barevo
04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
just wondering if you guys have any experience with the aquamist HFS-1 meth kit. planning to take my car up there for a retune in about a month.

2fAsT4Y0U
04-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Stay Away from Methanol!

2barevo
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
care to explain yourself? with good failsafes in place meth injection is the way to go.

1WkdEvo
04-22-2008, 08:29 PM
TT can tune you on the Aquamist kit, the Snow Performance kit, or the Labonte kit. They have done all three in the past and done it well so feel comfortable going there for the install and tune

j_nizzle
04-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Stay Away from Methanol!

why? it's cheaper than running race gas and with the fail safes, it's a great way to run big boost on pump gas. you can just leave it out of your mod list and cause a riot on the boards when you say you made Xwhp on a Xdyno with cali 91!!!!

2fAsT4Y0U
04-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Stay Away from Methanol!

why? it's cheaper than running race gas and with the fail safes, it's a great way to run big boost on pump gas. you can just leave it out of your mod list and cause a riot on the boards when you say you made Xwhp on a Xdyno with cali 91!!!!

?? are you serious?

j_nizzle
04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
yeah, im serious. if you want "pick-me-up" for your car, i'd definitely consider an aquamist kit.

1WkdEvo
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes he is serious and I agree with him. By far the most inexpensive way of running high boost and with a good primary fail safe along with a secondary failsafe such as Zeitronix it is a great way to run high horsepower and especially take advantage of bigger turbos.

2fAsT4Y0U
04-23-2008, 11:19 PM
i was in my friends car monday, with a 2.3, ams 3076, snow perf. meth kit.... and THAT was pulling like a fkin.....................Beast

but still laggy, and still took a quiet bit for full boost to kick in.

O0

j_nizzle
04-23-2008, 11:20 PM
i was in my friends car monday, with a 2.3, ams 3076, snow perf. meth kit.... and THAT was pulling like a fkin.....................Beast

but still laggy, and still took a quiet bit for full boost to kick in.

O0

typical to expect especially if he was running on 91...

1WkdEvo
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Depends on the 3076. Â*I hit full boost between 3500 - 3800 on my 3076. Â*Throw meth in there and it pulls like a mofo all the way to redline. Â*From a dig, yeah, its not as nice as a stock turbo or FP, but most of my pulls are not from a dig :-)

2fAsT4Y0U
04-23-2008, 11:59 PM
sean, i honeslty doubt that you hit full boost at around 4 k.... do you something to prove that?? i believe you, but i just want to see some info on that....

1WkdEvo
04-24-2008, 08:22 AM
LOL, I never though you would be a Hater Cash :-) When I swap my turbo out in the next few weeks, I plan on running some boost logs to compare the spool characteristics of the two setups to determine if I get the spool improvement I am expecting. At that time I will post them and you can call B.S. if you like. I logged boost with my Zeitronix when this current turbo was installed and that is where i was hitting full boost.

2fAsT4Y0U
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
LOL, I never though you would be a Hater Cash :-) When I swap my turbo out in the next few weeks, I plan on running some boost logs to compare the spool characteristics of the two setups to determine if I get the spool improvement I am expecting. At that time I will post them and you can call B.S. if you like. I logged boost with my Zeitronix when this current turbo was installed and that is where i was hitting full boost.

k im sorry i believe u, i luv u!

SoCalRedLine
04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
tuning for meth is like tuning for anything else. you need a WB and a logging program.

Methanol has a stoich of around 9-10:1 (iirc) and you will need to adjust your tune to be richer to account for the additional methanol. Also, you will be able to add a BUNCH of timing where the methanol kicks in. You might also want to watch your EGT's when your tuning, make sure you arent going too far with the timing on the methanol.

Your best bet is to have a tuner set you up with Tephra's new map switch program, It will make it so your car has 2 maps, 1 safe map, 1 Meth map. Whenever the meth kit is on, the Meth map is activated, and in teh event of a "fail" situation, it will drop to your "safe" map in less than a milisecond.

there are a few downsides to meth, and the major one is that it reacts with aluminum. It will actually eat through any aluminum part that poses a restriction, and 99% of the time its your Idle Stepper Control valve.

j_nizzle
04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
there are a few downsides to meth, and the major one is that it reacts with aluminum. It will actually eat through any aluminum part that poses a restriction, and 99% of the time its your Idle Stepper Control valve.

i think we discussed this before, but wont injecting meth at the intake manifold counteract the negative effects for the most part?

SoCalRedLine
04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
^for the most part, but most people would rather tap a intercooler pipe, than tap their manifolds. but direct injected anything (nos, meth, e85, w/e) is better for a few reasons. equal distribution is the main reason.

Also, just installing 1 nozzle in teh manifold will sometimes make uneven distribution. think back to Throttle Port Injection systems...

2fAsT4Y0U
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
mike knows his shit!

thanks for the tutoring this monring :-P

i cant wait till you install the switch for me man! :coolsmiley:

j_nizzle
04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
mike knows his shit!

thanks for the tutoring this monring :-P

i cant wait till you install the switch for me man! :coolsmiley:

does that mean you're coming to our meet tonight?

2barevo
04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
I just hate it when people make the dumbest comment because of lack of knowledge and ends up getting schooled :(

anyways, thanks everybody for their constructive comments. I've been reading up a lot on failsafes so hopefully between DDS3 and zeitronix I can run meth safely. Would really like for TT to chime in and share their feelings about Aquamist and Tephra mod but I suppose its better if I call them instead.

SoCalRedLine
04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
^yea, they generally dont talk about tuning on the forum (which is good for business)

but if you want more reading, look up the threads on EvoM regarding using a meth kit and Tephra's v5 mod. If you know enough about it, im sure it would make it easy to have TT set it up for you.

p.s. there is 1 thread specifically in the ECUflash section of EvoM

2barevo
04-24-2008, 04:56 PM
^ is this what you are talking about?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=334574&highlight=meth

1WkdEvo
04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I am trying to get this done on my current Meth setup as well. It will be nice to be rid of the mbc and still run meth.

SoCalRedLine
04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
^ is this what you are talking about?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=334574&highlight=meth

yup. tahts the one. there are other threads as well.

j_nizzle
04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I am trying to get this done on my current Meth setup as well. It will be nice to be rid of the mbc and still run meth.

gm 3-port!