PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Broken?? here yah go.

JASON IN EVOX
05-08-2008, 03:46 PM
wdup dooods.

My evo 10 windshield got a crack about 2 months ago and spreaded twice, after fixing it twice.
For some odd reason the evo 10 windshield has lots of random pressure that couple window
repairmen cant figure out.

But anyways. if you have a simple crack in your windshield on your evo x or any car.
I recommend

Chips and Cracks in Ontario.
35$ was the cost, and life time warranty...basically means if it spreads you can go back to him
or else just get the refund.

in my case my window crack actually widened? :buck2:

so fixing is out of the question.

He recommended me to a place in Ontario as well.
cost of replacing windshield for a premium aftermarket window

289$ plus tax installed and everything.

I thought that was a pretty good price for a new car,
although I didnt tell him it was a evo just a 08 lancer, but same window
so he cant change up the price no more.

I met another evox owner with a messed up windshield, but yeah thought this could
help for whoever needs it.

pm me for their numbers.

-Jason

j_nizzle
05-08-2008, 03:53 PM
recall number 2!!!!!

windshield.

tanK
05-08-2008, 03:59 PM
antics22 is on evo x windshield #2. I'm also on windshield #2 (evo9). Evo glass seems to be pretty brittle if you ask me.

JASON IN EVOX
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
yeahh the glass is thick but weird pressure.

Window is supposed to take 70% of roll over damage from what the guy told me so that explains
but he doesnt know why the evo has weird pressure coming from weird spots haha.

My crack was well I knew it was going to be a crack, my dad drove my car and we were behind one of those big rigs hauling rocks and crap and idiot trucking company didnt have a canopy over it, getting on the 57 and 60 fwy area a waterfall of frigin rocks came off the truck literally bouncing off other cars and I saw one rock as big as a golf ball come straight at me, saw everything while sitting in the passenger seat :'(

tried to find the company, but there are over like 100 Barrer Trucking companies and over half of them is out of business haha. no fun :idiot2:

tanK
05-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Not sure if this goes the same for the new X/Lancer chasis, but on the previous CT9a Chasis the evo windshield was a different part # than the standard lancer.Â* The standard lancer windshield is thicker and heavier than the evo windshield.Â* Speculation on :mitsu: 's reasoning for the difference was probably weight reduction.

JASON IN EVOX
05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
hmmm going to ask that window shop man, well either way he's probably going to want to sell a window haha so maybe he might fed me some bs. dont know just want a new windshield

tanK
05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
If its a big enough crack, you'll have to replace it.

Mightygnu
05-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Anyone let Mitsu know about the windshield problems?

r0me0ne
05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
got my windshield on my ix replaced at this place in azusa for 140...2 years later still have no problem with it...

amak87
05-09-2008, 02:58 PM
i work at a glass company. I have seen alot lower quality of glass coming through recently from customers. and if its one thing that the import market is cheap on, its glass. Windshields are not just glass. Its laminated glass. basically like a sandwich. like bread/meat/bread. its 1/8'' glass/ plastic laminate/ 1/8'' glass. the Laminate in the center is a safety feature. So IF your windshield does break, its supposed to stay together as much as possible. Laminated glass is very strong. I dont know what your talking about when you say there is too much pressure? All it is, is low quality glass that didnt fully complete the heating process when it was first made and bent to fit the chassis. An imcomplete heating process leads to very brittle glass. Where ever Mitsu had the glass made or makes it themselves. It sounds they had a bad batch. If this breakage is consistent, with more and more Evo X owners, I would suggest asking for a recall with Mitsu.

And if the chassis is somehow pinching the glass, then the installer should take a 120 grit, radial sander, and shape the glass a little smaller to avoid stress cracks.

If anyone that lives in the Ventura County area needs a new windshield, or any other glass products, hit me up.

GilbertFlores
05-09-2008, 03:14 PM
^^good info...my friend X cracked with the smallest rock about a week after he got his x ad hasnt replaced it yet...its cracked pretty good too ill let him know.

JASON IN EVOX
06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
forgot to update.

got my whole windshield replaced for 240$ cash they came to me at my work.

MoReRyCe
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
if anyone wants a windshield i can get a guy to come out to my area for $110 installed.. thats how i got mine done... cant beat that :)

MoReRyCe
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
ill have to find the bussiness card hahaha... i just rememebred i dont know their number

MoReRyCe
06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
ok i found the bussiness card.. i called.. they can hook it up

$180 installed.. for evo X ( Actaully lancer but you said they are the same.. )

This is my price so u would have to come chill with me for a day at my work and they'll come install it.. lol

MoReRyCe
06-05-2008, 10:22 AM
evos have a windshield that is about 1/4 lighter than the regular lancer window.. the difference is not great but if you are going for light ( which mitsu was) it counts.. if you just daily ur car wut would having 5 more lbs in the car matter? its like have a water jug in ur car.. big deal.. lol

amak87
06-06-2008, 09:01 AM
5lbs lighter? ya, and much weaker.

Most windshields consist 1/8'' glass, over a thin piece of polyvinyl layer, then another 1/8'' piece of glass.

For a windshield to vary 5lbs, they must have reduced one (or both) of the panes to about 1/16''. Which is very brittle and weak.

1/8'' glass weighs 1.63 lbs per square foot. and 1/16'' glass weighs less than a pound, about .89lbs per square foot.

Racing isnt always about light weight, its about durability.

Don't you want to be able to finish a race without a broken windsheild? lol

EVOL EDO
06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
my gf just got a chip in the windshield of her gti.Â* she lives in ontario.Â* do you happen to have the address and number of this place?

evoXskankz
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM

This is my price so u would have to come chill with me for a day at my work and they'll come install it.. lol

hey MoReRyCe if you don't mind could you pm'd me. I need my windshield replaced for my evo X :'( its only 2 weeks old

thanks O0

prime8
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
:mitsu:

SpySat
07-10-2008, 08:12 AM
evos have a windshield that is about 1/4 lighter than the regular lancer window..
All Lancers come with the same glass - there is no "special" or "lightweight" glass just for the evo.

EVO_SE
09-09-2008, 04:07 PM
^true. the only thing that might be different is the third visor were the rear view mirror goes some times it has a different design. at least that how it was with the old lancers. anyways if any one wants there window replaced i have a shop in L.A near the general hospital we've been in bussines for 25 years (family owned) we already replaced windshield on so of the so cal evo member so remember just pm me for pricing.

prime8
09-09-2008, 07:10 PM
is it off mission or what?

Massimo Power
09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
evos have a windshield that is about 1/4 lighter than the regular lancer window..
All Lancers come with the same glass - there is no "special" or "lightweight" glass just for the evo.

yes there is a lighter windshield for the evolution...

as far as windshields... $120 installed same day.. on evo 7 8 9 ....

let me know.. :)

Evolutionized
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM

you are wrong.

SpySat
09-10-2008, 10:09 AM
you are wrong. That's entirely possible but what are you referring to?

I've talked with three glass shops and they show NO separate listing for the EVO X from a standard 2008 Lancer. And I just called my favorite Mistu parts center and they can't look up any part without a VIN. ( Is that just dumb or what? ) Anyone got a standard lancer VIN handy? Then we can get real Mitsu part numbers and see if the EVO is different.

rojoX
08-21-2009, 03:25 PM
my windshield just broke today!! their trying to charge me $800 wtf!!!!!! Ontario is not that far from me, im willing to drive. please help

tanK
08-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Try South Coast Mitsubishi. I was able to have mine replaced for ~500 OTD (I didn't pay, responsible party paid).

prime8
08-21-2009, 07:48 PM
honestly
after reading this i believe ur paying too much for these replacements

im in the process of changing to vendor status for autoglass on sce

if u have any Q's just send me a pm

windshields must meet certain standards in order to be sold
all glass that has a defect is scrapped from the manufacture

regardless of where u go
i cant stress enough how important it is to get a warranty for these replacements

scumdog
08-21-2009, 08:12 PM

oh cmon!! you just want someone to hang out with you so your co-workers think you have friends! lol

mangoes
08-22-2009, 10:53 AM
im also on windshield #2.... on the passenger side, the aftermarket glass is warped -_-... might consider going to windshield #3, fking hell.

Massimo Power
08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
honestly
after reading this i believe ur paying too much for these replacements

im in the process of changing to vendor status for autoglass on sce

if u have any Q's just send me a pm

windshields must meet certain standards in order to be sold
all glass that has a defect is scrapped from the manufacture

regardless of where u go
i cant stress enough how important it is to get a warranty for these replacements

If you are going to hook it up cheaper than by all means go for it...

If you are saying $140 installed ( New Price ) is paying too much for pilkington windshields.. ( Pilkington is OE Mercedes etc...)

Than i do hope you offer a great alternative. Hopefully not made in china....

oh cmon!! you just want someone to hang out with you so your co-workers think you have friends! lol

Thanx thats exactly what i was trying to do... not everyone can be as cool as you... O0

scumdog
08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
i dont get the title?? It says windshield broken, here you go. then you tell us about a place that couldnt fix yours and a place that is wayyyy over priced. I paid $120 for mine installed.If massimo can get oe mercedes quality glass for $140!?!? its a no brainer.That price is unbeatable

#1Noob
11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
EVO X here, had mine for about 10 months before it cracked due to some semi kicking up rocks all over the freeway. Anyway I didn't notice it cuz it was near the very bottom and it eventually spidered to the edge forcing me to get a new windshield. Anyway the point of this post, call Safelite. Everyone "has a guy that knows a guy that has a guy that can get this from a guy that knows a guy..." and if you can get it from them for cheaper, then great. But I don't have one of those guys and I didn't feel like waiting 2 months for "the guy that knows the guy..." to finally get the part and Safelite came out to my work the same day I called them and replaced it for around $280 total. This included $25.00 for windshield wipers and I was too lazy to change them myself so I said sure why not. So under $260 and they come with a lifetime or some type of warranty. Remember, the warranty is only as good as the business and Safelite is nationwide and will probably be around for awhile. The guy that knows the guy that has a guy probably changes it out of his mom's garage. And no, there is no different windshield for the EVO Xs as far as Safelite and Anaheim Mitsu was concerned. They could be wrong but I'll take their word for it. Remember it is a Lancer after all. A fast one, but still a Lancer.

prime8
11-03-2009, 03:28 PM
EVO X here, had mine for about 10 months before it cracked due to some semi kicking up rocks all over the freeway. Anyway I didn't notice it cuz it was near the very bottom and it eventually spidered to the edge forcing me to get a new windshield. Anyway the point of this post, call Safelite. Everyone "has a guy that knows a guy that has a guy that can get this from a guy that knows a guy..." and if you can get it from them for cheaper, then great. But I don't have one of those guys and I didn't feel like waiting 2 months for "the guy that knows the guy..." to finally get the part and Safelite came out to my work the same day I called them and replaced it for around $280 total. This included $25.00 for windshield wipers and I was too lazy to change them myself so I said sure why not. So under $260 and they come with a lifetime or some type of warranty. Remember, the warranty is only as good as the business and Safelite is nationwide and will probably be around for awhile. The guy that knows the guy that has a guy probably changes it out of his mom's garage. And no, there is no different windshield for the EVO Xs as far as Safelite and Anaheim Mitsu was concerned. They could be wrong but I'll take their word for it. Remember it is a Lancer after all. A fast one, but still a Lancer.
O0
its the same glass
no difference whatsoever

in what city did u get this done?

#1Noob
11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
O0
its the same glass
no difference whatsoever

I work in San Dimas, so that's where they came, but they'll pretty much go anywhere. Showed up like 3 hours after I called and was done in 2 hours. Told me to wait an hour or two, don't remember, before I drove it. Looks nice and they did a really good job.

prime8
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
O0
its the same glass
no difference whatsoever

I work in San Dimas, so that's where they came, but they'll pretty much go anywhere.Â* Showed up like 3 hours after I called and was done in 2 hours.Â* Told me to wait an hour or two, don't remember, before I drove it.Â* Looks nice and they did a really good job.

oh ok. im actually a technician for safelite
i was just wondering to see if it was done from my office.

we service san dimas
by any chance was it sal who installed ur windshield?
lol thats his area

#1Noob
11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Just a quick question to those who think there is a different, lighter windshield for the EVO vs. the Lancer. Â*The one guy here posts that the only way to make glass lighter is to make it thinner makes a lot of sense. Â*There's no such thing as a super advanced glass polymer that makes glass twice as strong as well as twice as light. Â*So the only way they can make the windshield lighter is to make it thinner, which means weaker. Â*Would you really be willing to pay extra for that? Â*If it's true, I don't know for older EVOs, and my windshield broke, I'd say replace it with the nice safer thicker one from the Lancer please, cuz I don't need a rock to plow through my weak thin, but lighter, "EVO" windshield and crack me in the skull as I'm cruising down the freeway at 80+ mph.

But if you guys are really into making everything lighter at the price of safety, I'm selling an aftermarket windshield for any car that weighs not even 1/10th of the OEM windshield. Â*They are relatively new to the automotive world but the company has been around for years. They use a super polymer called Saran Wrap. Â*I also got some super lightweight aluminum body parts if you're interested from a company called Reynolds.

#1Noob
11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
O0
its the same glass
no difference whatsoever

I work in San Dimas, so that's where they came, but they'll pretty much go anywhere.Â* Showed up like 3 hours after I called and was done in 2 hours.Â* Told me to wait an hour or two, don't remember, before I drove it.Â* Looks nice and they did a really good job.

oh ok. im actually a technician for safelite
i was just wondering to see if it was done from my office.

we service san dimas
by any chance was it sal who installed ur windshield?
lol thats his area

HAHAHA I'm almost positive that's who it was.Â* He's kind of short? Hella nice guy and very professional.

edit: my bad, it was Rafael. But yeah he was a really nice guy and professional.

prime8
11-03-2009, 04:16 PM
oh snap

rafael?

hes actually the person who trained me when i started
really kool guy O0

he usually works all over the place

he does like the special jobs
like bentlys, ferraris and cars like that

i wouldnt be surprised to hear from him that he did ur windshield
he likes evos lol

Ladogaboy
11-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure what they are saying because they wrote so poorly, but this article seems to imply that the 2010 EVO X GSR's windshield is, indeed, lighter:

http://www.7tune.com/2010-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x-minor-changes/

Massimo Power
11-04-2009, 09:48 PM
wow this thread is still going on... lol